Fans returning to stadiums

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Fans returning to stadiums

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:37 pm

We might see fans returning to Scottish grounds sooner than expected, if we continue to suppress this virus, i'd guess that if fans are allowed in Scotland in the near future, England will follow suit when the new season gets underway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/53596078

And a small number of fans allowed to attend the NI Cup final at Windsor Park tomorrow https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53567198

These are tentative steps, but it's a promising sign.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Fans returning to stadiums

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:41 pm

I think it will depend on how well we deal with other countries having 'second waves' (even though many experts say, we're still in the first wave) and people who are infected, coming here and spreading it faster.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Most fans go to matches with their mates / friends. What sort of atmosphere will there be if you're on your own 4 or 5 metres from anyone else? The matches will be soulless. That's not what football is about at all.

How will clubs choose, who can go and who can't? What happens to season ticket holder's reserved seats? It's just not going to work.
This user liked this post: paulatky

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:32 pm
Most fans go to matches with their mates / friends. What sort of atmosphere will there be if you're on your own 4 or 5 metres from anyone else? The matches will be soulless. That's not what football is about at all.

How will clubs choose, who can go and who can't? What happens to season ticket holder's reserved seats? It's just not going to work.
Well it won't if everyone has the same defeatist and negative attitude as you. This is good news, fans able to attend matches again! Only a few months ago people were telling us it wouldn't be for another year.

ICL
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ICL » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Gordaleman wrote:

Agree. I can’t see going back to full stadiums and packed concourses this year and/or before widespread vaccination

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:53 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Well it won't if everyone has the same defeatist and negative attitude as you. This is good news, fans able to attend matches again! Only a few months ago people were telling us it wouldn't be for another year.
There's nothing defeatist or negative in what I said. It's just a fact. If you can't see that, then I guess you don't go to games and don't know how the atmosphere affects things?

I've been a season ticket holder for as long as I can remember right back to 1980. I was in the army in Germany for nine years before that. However, I was a season ticket holder beore 1970, so it's not like I don't know anything about football.

The atmosphere is key to the games, and there won't be any if they reintroduce crowds in the way they are suggesting.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Gordaleman wrote:

I agree with this tbh. It's a step in the right direction, but it's far from ideal. If it's done on a ballot system you might not even be able to go on with your mates. Add in no away fans and there'll be no atmosphere whatsoever. I think I'd prefer to go and watch my local non league side for a bit.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm

I was at a National FSA meeting recently and it was felt that there should be away fans admitted in the same ratio to home fans.

If it happens that we get reduced numbers in it is likely, if you are lucky to get a ticket, that you will be allocated a seat for the game rather than sit in your own seat. I’m sure they will use the same protocols as set by Government.

I read today that one club will, if this happens, hold a ballot among season ticket holders for each match where no one gets a second match until everyone has had one match.

Whatever the league does, whatever the clubs do, it is going to be very different.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Gordaleman wrote:

I’m with Gordaleman, I go with my friends and family for a day out, I’d rather sit with my Dad and Pals at home or in the pub and watch it instead if we can’t sit together

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1609 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:22 pm

The government has already suggested that of fans don’t social distance at matches and stand and shout they will go back to games behind closed doors
Shouting and singing in grounds could spike Covid 19.
Burnley will be lucky to have more than 4,000 fans in ground

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Most fans go to matches with their mates / friends. What sort of atmosphere will there be if you're on your own 4 or 5 metres from anyone else? The matches will be soulless. That's not what is about at all.

It will be just like the 80's on the Turf so what's the problem. In fact the crowds will be bigger if we get over 6000 on, which is what we got when Brian Miller started our long haul back in 87-88 season. :D :D
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:17 pm

No point going until you can get back to near normal.

Has there been any suggestions on how you socially distance if you are one of those people who cant sit for a half without going to the toilet? Or how you keep socially distanced if you need to get past someone who is one of those people who don't move from their seat all game even at half time.

Will it be that you can only have 2 people per row?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm

All the even claret numbers one game, all the odd the next.

Then you have to sit in chessboard formation.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm

I had the whole row to myself at a pre season friendly last year :lol:

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Personally, as long as my season ticket seat was guaranteed, I’d be happy to take my money back for this season and let others attend these reduced attendance matches.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 pm

More questions than answers at the moment.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:10 pm

We’re going backwards. I don’t expect to set foot in a football stadium until next year.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 pm

The season shouldn't start until it's safe to let fans in. I understand continuing the current season behind closed doors to adhere to the TV contracts etc, but let's be honest it's been a farce. It's not real football without fans. It's like the Mickey mouse games they played during the war.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:53 pm

groove wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 pm
The season shouldn't start until it's safe to let fans in. I understand continuing the current season behind closed doors to adhere to the TV contracts etc, but let's be honest it's been a farce. It's not real football without fans. It's like the Mickey mouse games they played during the war.
Tell that to Brentford and Fulham. It is a game and only a game whether there are fans or not. You do not need any fans to play a game of football because the fans do not play.

Snooker players due to play at the Crucible are complaining that people will be allowed in to watch, therefore, cancel the whole thing. Oh no, we can't have that because there is lots of money involved.
Let's make it easy then, we won't have any audience and you can play for nothing and see who is the best player ---would they?

Brentford and Fulham have earned the right to play for a place in the PL --they did it without fans present and they will play the final just the same way and it will certainly be real football.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:09 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:41 pm
I think it will depend on how well we deal with other countries having 'second waves' (even though many experts say, we're still in the first wave) and people who are infected, coming here and spreading it faster.
Wow :o

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:20 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:53 pm
Tell that to Brentford and Fulham. It is a game and only a game whether there are fans or not. You do not need any fans to play a game of football because the fans do not play.

Snooker players due to play at the Crucible are complaining that people will be allowed in to watch, therefore, cancel the whole thing. Oh no, we can't have that because there is lots of money involved.
Let's make it easy then, we won't have any audience and you can play for nothing and see who is the best player ---would they?

Brentford and Fulham have earned the right to play for a place in the PL --they did it without fans present and they will play the final just the same way and it will certainly be real football.
And in future generations of Brentford fans can look back at that amazing day at Wembley they didn't have. I think all this has set a precedent. It's been proved that the game at the top level can continue without the fans. It could finally pave the way for games to be held in the far east, or who knows, even the moon. There would be a better atmosphere! Also, why haven't rock concerts been going ahead in front of empty arenas? It's because they wouldn't make any money. Football doesn't really need the spectators to make money. All these live games haven't been televised for our benefit. It's for their benefit. We've been sold out.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 pm

Football like this won't keep making money though. It's lifeless. It does need the fans and I'd say this situation proves it more tha ever.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm
I was at a National FSA meeting recently and it was felt that there should be away fans admitted in the same ratio to home fans.

If it happens that we get reduced numbers in it is likely, if you are lucky to get a ticket, that you will be allocated a seat for the game rather than sit in your own seat. I’m sure they will use the same protocols as set by Government.

I read today that one club will, if this happens, hold a ballot among season ticket holders for each match where no one gets a second match until everyone has had one match.

Whatever the league does, whatever the clubs do, it is going to be very different.
It will be impossible to please everyone. And regardless of what they do someone will feel left out.

But the reality is some fans is better than none for plenty of reasons.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 pm

groove wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:20 pm
And in future generations of Brentford fans can look back at that amazing day at Wembley they didn't have. I think all this has set a precedent. It's been proved that the game at the top level can continue without the fans. It could finally pave the way for games to be held in the far east, or who knows, even the moon. There would be a better atmosphere! Also, why haven't rock concerts been going ahead in front of empty arenas? It's because they wouldn't make any money. Football doesn't really need the spectators to make money. All these live games haven't been televised for our benefit. It's for their benefit. We've been sold out.
That’s a bit dramatic. It’s temporary.

All it’s proved is that football needs fans more than ever. But equally for now it can continue without them.

It was great being able to see so much of the clarets in free tv.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 am

dougcollins wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Then you have to sit in chessboard formation.
Everyone sits at the back of the stand side by side to start. Slowly the ones on the front row begin to self isolate further forward. As time passes by. Three at either end from the back move forward to seats in straight lines, diagonally and in an L shape trying to maintain social distancing. Away fans then infiltrate our stand. Determined to get to the old fella sat in the middle at the back, who's been giving them pelters. Fights break out while the others rush back to protect the old fella and his wife who are the two most vulnerable to Covid but his wife is a bit feisty and starts randomly going everywhere beating up away fans. Fair play though. The away fans have an old dear giving it large too.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 pm
That’s a bit dramatic. It’s temporary.

All it’s proved is that football needs fans more than ever. But equally for now it can continue without them.

It was great being able to see so much of the clarets in free tv.

Imagine going with Accy clarets to the moon and how pi$$ed everyone would be
This user liked this post: tybfc

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:40 am

I've cancelled my season ticket thus given up my seats, that I've had for donkeys years, in the JHU due to the confusion about this. It's not the clubs fault because every team is struggling to come to terms with this situation but I wouldn't feel comfortable attending a game anytime soon especially when the region is one of the Covid hot-spots at the moment.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am

Presumed 1st couple of months were gonna he empty grounds anyway ? Or some kind of rotational 6/7k for home games . The whole Covid thing is so unpredictable it’s impossible to look more than a few weeks in advance . Hopefully the regional spikes will settle and some kind of genuine stadium roadmap can be laid out

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 am

Not going to happen anytime soon is it realistically. I can see local lockdowns coming and going all over the country until a vaccine is found.

So it’s probably going to be the season after next when we might get back into a ground

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 am

Was discussing this recently. If we have to wear masks AND it’s OUTSIDE I don’t see to much of a problem, with a bit of distancing. 5/6k in a ground is better than none.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am

As far as I'm aware, the Snooker World Championships are the first to be trialing this over the next 17 days.

The capacity is 980 and they have 300 in today.

If successful, I'm sure they'll move the planning over to football and hopefully have close to 1/3 of fans in.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am
As far as I'm aware, the Snooker World Championships are the first to be trialing this over the next 17 days.

The capacity is 980 and they have 300 in today.

If successful, I'm sure they'll move the planning over to football and hopefully have close to 1/3 of fans in.
Bit different with a snooker crowd though. Everyone is happy sitting quietly and politely applauding. Be harder to control a football crowd when people have had 6 pints and want to stand up and sing with their mates.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:24 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am
Bit different with a snooker crowd though. Everyone is happy sitting quietly and politely applauding. Be harder to control a football crowd when people have had 6 pints and want to stand up and sing with their mates.
Quite a number of the snooker players aren't happy though.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm

Given the way this is going, I just can't see us getting back in to a stadium at all for a while yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if we were to see up to the end of the year without stepping into the ground.

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

With spikes happening and local lockdowns taking place, the amount of complaining some clubs made when Project Restart wanted to games to be played at neutral grounds, I can't see how Brighton v Leeds next season could potentially have 10,000 fans in the ground, but Burnley v Leeds would be allowed no one, I think if one team can't have fans, then no teams should, for home advantage fairness, and thus I don't think any crowds will be allowed at all until 2021/22 season at the earliest.

Perhaps a case can be argued for cup games in the new year, but league games won't happen.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:10 pm

CaptJohn wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:40 am
I've cancelled my season ticket thus given up my seats, that I've had for donkeys years, in the JHU due to the confusion about this. It's not the clubs fault because every team is struggling to come to terms with this situation but I wouldn't feel comfortable attending a game anytime soon especially when the region is one of the Covid hot-spots at the moment.
There's no confusion really and no need to give up seats. The Football Supporters Association are pushing clubs hard to ensure that those who don't feel able to go for a period of time, maybe even a full season, don't find themselves losing the seats they've previously had as season ticket holders. Should a club do that it would be very wrong and some clubs have already confirmed that they will hold seats for such season ticket holders.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Another perfectly reasonable post deleted. Really? Why?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm
It will be just like the 80's on the Turf so what's the problem. In fact the crowds will be bigger if we get over 6000 on, which is what we got when Brian Miller started our long haul back in 87-88 season. :D :D
In the 70s and 80s, there were no restrictions on who could go, or who they could sit with. Consequently people got together in groups and created a bit of atmosphere. That aint going to happen again any time soon.