Evgeny Lebedev (politics)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Evgeny Lebedev (politics)

Post by Spiral » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:27 pm

Not to sound like a xenophobe or owt but you-know-who has given the Ruskie son of a former KGB spy a peerage. Smashing! Where's that report again?...

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Re: Evgeny Lebedev (politics)

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Not boxing then?
TBH, the sooner we scrap the "honours" thing the better. Time to embrace the present!

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 pm

It's a bit more than a mere "honour", the bloke is going to be scrutinising UK legislation in the Lords. So is Claire Fox, an actual communist. Former RCP activist, equivocated over Warrington IRA bombing, supported Gadaffi, denied Bosnian genocide, real nice lady. She's also going to be voting on our laws.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:17 pm

Spiral wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 pm
It's a bit more than a mere "honour", the bloke is going to be scrutinising UK legislation in the Lords. So is Claire Fox, an actual communist. Former RCP activist, equivocated over Warrington IRA bombings, supported Gadaffi, denied Bosnian genocide, real nice lady. She's also going to be voting on our laws.
yep, i get that. i'd scrap the whole thing then this couldn't happen.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 pm

What exactly has Boris's brother Jo done to deserve a peerage? Would make more sense if it was the snooker player from Bradford.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:41 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 pm
What exactly has Boris's brother Jo done to deserve a peerage? Would make more sense if it was the snooker player from Bradford.
You know how when Kim Jong-un assassinated his half brother with nerve agent a few years ago in order to eliminate a potential claimant to the throne and shore up his power? Well it's like that but only much more polite.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:45 pm

Spiral wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:41 pm
You know how when Kim Jong-un assassinated his half brother with nerve agent a few years ago in order to eliminate a potential claimant to the throne and shore up his power? Well it's like that but only much more polite.
Is that the Late Kim Jong..... who died of a Heart attack about 3months ago?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 pm

This one cracked me up, And Philip May, husband of former Prime Minister Theresa May, gets a knighthood for "political service".

What political service? they are turning the HOL into even more of a farce than you can imagine.

I don't always agree with the SNP, but this is an open goal for them, and they've rightly spoken out about this nonsense.

For the SNP, MP Pete Wishart accused the prime minister of "handing out jobs for life in the unelected House of Lords to friends and those who have done him favours".

"The prime minister's idea of levelling up involves gifting his cronies, damaging policy facilitators, and family members with jobs as legislators for life - with no democratic mandate or accountability to people across the UK.

"It's the worst kind of cronyism that only highlights the rotten Westminster system that is detached from reality."

What exactly is the point of voting to leave the EU, when we've got over 800 unelected members in the HOL.

It was only a few days ago that the PM toured Scotland pledging to defend the union, well i'm sorry Boris but this announcement is doing you and the union absolutely no favours North of the border, in fact if anything this will only increase support for both the SNP and the independence movement up here, he's so out of touch it's untrue, and he'll go down in history as the PM who broke up the UK if he doesn't wake up sharpish.

Terry Cochrane
Been Liked: 67 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by Terry Cochrane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 pm

What political service? Spouse of the PM of course. Just as they did with giving a knighthood to Dennis Thatcher and a damehood to Mary Wilson.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:15 am

I can stomach useless chancers and harmless sycophants being granted peerages, but granting peerage and the power that comes with it to a foreign born oligarch from a hostile country which operates as a mafia ring, a country whose oligarchs owe their status and very mortal existence to the favour of the mafia leader; appointing such a character to the upper house of parliament is an utter pi$$-take by anybody's standard.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies boatshed bill

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:32 pm

Known for throwing his lavish and uproarious weekend parties in his converted castle near Perugia, at least one being attended by a certain Boris Johnson when Foreign Secretary.

Pictured after the party at San Francesco d'Assisi airport looking very much the worse for wear and appearing as though he had slept in his clothes.

Surprising what you can buy for a lump of caviar on a cream cracker and a few bottles of the bubbly stuff. :lol:

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm

In the 1990's it was "cash-for-questions", now it's "cash-for-honours", the bizarre thing is they don't even try to hide it anymore, it's just done blatantly.

You'd have thought in the wake of the Russia Report they'd be more circumspect in their dealings but apparently not.

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 pm

CD76392D-E30C-4687-BE87-FA2D75CB587F.jpeg
CD76392D-E30C-4687-BE87-FA2D75CB587F.jpeg (262.3 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:30 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 pm
This one cracked me up, And Philip May, husband of former Prime Minister Theresa May, gets a knighthood for "political service".

What political service? they are turning the HOL into even more of a farce than you can imagine.

I don't always agree with the SNP, but this is an open goal for them, and they've rightly spoken out about this nonsense.

For the SNP, MP Pete Wishart accused the prime minister of "handing out jobs for life in the unelected House of Lords to friends and those who have done him favours".

"The prime minister's idea of levelling up involves gifting his cronies, damaging policy facilitators, and family members with jobs as legislators for life - with no democratic mandate or accountability to people across the UK.

"It's the worst kind of cronyism that only highlights the rotten Westminster system that is detached from reality."

What exactly is the point of voting to leave the EU, when we've got over 800 unelected members in the HOL.

It was only a few days ago that the PM toured Scotland pledging to defend the union, well i'm sorry Boris but this announcement is doing you and the union absolutely no favours North of the border, in fact if anything this will only increase support for both the SNP and the independence movement up here, he's so out of touch it's untrue, and he'll go down in history as the PM who broke up the UK if he doesn't wake up sharpish.
It's taking back control.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 am

I think what is telling here is that they clearly don't care about the optics of giving Lebedev a peerage. I guess it's a combination of 4 years till the next election and a whole range of sycophantic support who are identifying with Johnson so strongly that they find it impossible to criticise anything he does (and actively shout down anyone who does so).

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:14 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 am
I think what is telling here is that they clearly don't care about the optics of giving Lebedev a peerage. I guess it's a combination of 4 years till the next election and a whole range of sycophantic support who are identifying with Johnson so strongly that they find it impossible to criticise anything he does (and actively shout down anyone who does so).
They just seem to hand honours out like sweeties, what exactly has Lebedev done to merit a place in the Lords?.

I'm not convinced Johnson will still be leading the Tories come the next election anyway, and the Brexit issue will carry far less resonance.

I voted for the Conservatives in 2019 mainly to get the brexit issue sorted, and also because Corbyn wasn't up to the task of being PM, but i certainly won't vote for the Conservatives in 2024, and if Keir Starmer continues to impress me i'll be putting my cross in the Labour box.

Johnson may enjoy sycophantic support, but not in Scotland he doesn't.

Yougov have released favourability ratings of selected politicians in Scotland:

Nicola Sturgeon +36
Rishi Sunak +7
Keir Starmer +1

Richard Leonard -28 (56% don't know!)
Jackson Carlaw -32
Matt Hancock -38
Dominic Raab -38
Priti Patel -48
Boris Johnson -51
Michael Gove -57
Dominic Cummings -69

The Conservatives in the UK may not face elections for 4 years, but there is plenty of local elections due next year, and also the devolved administrations will have elections all being well.

And there is every chance of another Scottish indy ref in the next few years, and right now i'm torn, traditionally i'd be in favour of maintaining the union, however it's clear that both nations are diverging at a rate of knots, and unless the UK government quickly wake up they'll be responsible for overseeing the break up of the union.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Lifted from Facebook...

I can’t even fathom how anybody can still support this Cummings dictatorship masquerading as a government.

On top of a rape accusation, this is what they’ve also been up to... This Week

1. The govt launched a “Fix your bike” voucher website

2. It broke in less than an hour

3. The govt said we should all lose weight

4. The govt is still issuing vouchers to help us buy burgers

5. It was revealed the govt spent £400m buying a bankrupt satellite company, OneWeb, to replace the Euro GPS system we lose due to Brexit

6. Months before, a study by MIT found that OneWeb’s tech is 6x less efficient than the EU solution: the worst of the technologies studied

7. In June the govt merged the Dept for International Development into the Foreign Office, and said the move "guaranteed there would be no cuts in International Aid"

8. This week the gov cut International Aid by £2.9bn

9. And the govt quietly granted permission for your health records to be given to Palantir, a controversial data-mining company said to have worked with Cambridge Analytica on Brexit

10. It did both these things the day parliament broke up, so there couldn’t be any questions

11. But in answer to questions about the Russia Report, the gov’s suggested solution is to (I'm not making this up) to ask Russia to tell us who their spies are

12. Ex-Russian intelligence staff say 85% of their work is not spying, but “political funding and misinformation"

13. Which brings us to: Funding and Misinformation news

14. Since 2012, the Tory party has had almost £3m in donations from members of Putin’s cabinets

15. 14 current govt ministers have received donations from individuals or companies connected to the Russian leadership

16. Priti Patel said the Russia Report could be ignored because it was now 9 months old and “out of date”

17. The govt delayed the release of the report for 9 months, and the reasons given were described as “simply not true” (aka "misinformation") by the Intelligence Committee

18. Now Covid news, and Matt Hancock boasted he had met the targets on his “Six tests” on Covid 19

19. Full Fact found 4 of the 6 targets were missed, one target couldn’t be met because it had never been defined, and 1 “relied on a definition [that] does not reflect practice”

20. The cross-party Media & Culture Committee found that the gov’s support for arts was “vague and slow-coming” and “jeopardised UK culture”

21. The cross-party Public Accounts Committee found there was an “astonishing failure to plan for the economic impact” of Covid 19

22. It also said the policy of discharging patients into care homes was a “reckless and appalling policy error”

23. It called the govt “slow, inconsistent [and] negligent”

24. The chair of the Committee said “A competent government does not run a country on the hoof”

25. More on-the-hoof news: the gov quarantined tourists returning from Spain because Spain was a danger

26. The day before, Spain had 2 Covid deaths. Britain had 114

27. The transport secretary was on holiday in Spain, so was effectively trapped by his own dept’s decision

28. Which brings us to Brexit, and a report from London School of Economics showed a WTO Brexit will permanently shrink 16 out of the UK's 24 industry sectors by up to 15% each. Permanently.

29. A Tory MP tweeted “👍🏼WTO here we come!”

30. Another pro-Brexit Tory MP with a grasp of what's to come tweeted “my strong advice is: take the opportunity to live abroad”

31. Dominic Cummings tweeted that leaving the EU "could be an error”

32. And now PPE contracts, so prepare to begin eternal screaming:

33. £252m to Ayanda Capital, registered in Mauritius for tax purposes. PPE not delivered

34. £186m to Uniserve. PPE not delivered

35. £116m to P14 Medical Supplies, with assets of just £145. PPE not delivered

36. £108m to PestFix, with just 16 employees. PPE not delivered

37. £107m to Clandeboye Agencies, a sweet wholesaler. Yes, a sweet wholesaler. PPE not delivered.

38. £40m to Medicine Box Ltd, with assets of just £6000. PPE not delivered.

39. £48m to Initia Ventures Ltd, which registered itself as “dormant” in March. PPE not delivered.

40. £28m to Monarch Acoustics, which makes shop furniture. PPE not delivered

41. £25m to Luxe Lifestyle, which has no employees, no assets, and no turnover. PPE not delivered

42. £18m to Aventis Solutions, which has total assets of £332. Not a typo, £332. PPE not delivered

£10m to Medco Solutions, incorporated just 3 days after lockdown, with share capital of (not a typo) £2. PPE not delivered

44. In all, approx £1bn to inexplicable suppliers for PPE that hasn’t been delivered

45. The gov still polls well for economic competence. Go figure

46. Meanwhile a Nuffield Health study found after 10 years of "chronic underinvestment", UK is at the bottom of the league table for health resources; and diagnostics and surgery by the NHS will take 4 years to return to pre-Covid levels. But £1bn for non-existent PPE

47. The gov’s “world beating” test-and-trace programme was described as “scandalous” by the British Medical Journal, and found to miss its 80% target in every Covid hotspot announced this week

48. And finally, Boris Johnson refused a public enquiry into gov handling of Covid 19

With thanks to #TheWeekInTory by @RussInCheshire on Twitter