Poor Spelling / Grammar

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10261 times

Re: Poor Spelling / Grammar

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:02 am

To be fair, Kate, it wasn't all that long ago when your posts were laughably inaccurate, so much so they were barely coherent.
You've shown what taking a little more care and paying a little more attention to detail can do.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:54 pm

You will only get better at spelling if you Practiss.
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:20 pm

and to be honest Eddie I have had problems with spelling and grammar since primary school, the intolerance and punishment of it probably made me the way I am today as teachers do educate but not always in a good way and the scars are still there today, spelling "twelve" is the memorable one. It has been proven many times (by teachers in the higher echelons of education) as even noted on this thread) that incorrect spelling and/or grammar do not stop the vast majority of people understanding what is written and as a consequence it is fairly irrelevant to me in terms of banging away at keys on a message board.

I have and still do use my computer virtually everyday for over 20 years, obviously before that it was just old fashioned handwriting, I can confirm that is not great in neatness either, but I have managed to have a successful career but yes when I'm working I am much more careful, do lot's of checking and alterations and even then get some wrong. I have had testing and gone through various attempts to correct improve, in fact when spell check outlines a word, such that I know it's wrong, I try to correct myself instead of using the program to change but it has not really improved this problem I have. In fact 90+% of words I write wrong, I know how to spell, the issue I have is my brain is faster then my typing and I am usually thinking 3 - 5 words ahead than what I am actually typing. Consequently I find very strange words, because I use a letter (usually a first letter) of some word where my brain is into the word, which I am typing, the answer should be slow down, take more care but unfortunately I am ingrained in the way I work, it's just me warts and all.

Just some ramblings to try to give an alternative view, plus I do think it's laughable that people equate poor spelling/grammar to uneducated or people of low intelligence, I would think there are many factors to take in to account before someone should reach a conclusion like that, but then again, of course I would :)

As an example that people are providing here, the worst one for me is use & sue, because spell check does not highlight this. I have had to go through and approve many legal documents for contracts, I am in no way a legal person but because of the technical knowledge in the industry I have been working in for decades I have had to do this and sign off before it is accepted. The legal team, which was/is large and geographically diverse of course took except to me using the word "sue" in a legal contract document for T&C's, but word spread fast and they knew to look for that one, plus of course these days I search for that very carefully and I don't believe it has slipped through for a number of years.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Scarred from years of being pulled up for poor spelling and/or punctuation ? :o

Interesting but I do find it odd where, on the one hand you are carefully crafting documents and so on in the high-powered business environment you appear to inhabit yet - until your virtual incoherence was pointed out on here - you professed not to give a damn about how you came across to others.

I'd agree the odd typo or even deeply-ingrained spelling difficulties are not a sign of poor intelligence yet I do believe a stubborn refusal to attempt to eradicate those mistakes - wherever your views are being offered - is.

Actually revelling in one's failure to be able to communicate accurately is not good, even on here.
This user liked this post: spadesclaret

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 pm

I still don't give a damn about how I come across on a message board, if you look at it from my perspective I know/believe even you along with everyone else can read and decipher what I post, that's because my perception is, you are all intelligent enough to do it, you just get irritated for very little reason and life is to important for me to waste my time worrying about whether I upset a few grumpy old men.

The picture tells the tale better than I could ever, Kate leading out the Dyslexia Tribe of uneducated low intellects, encounters the grumpy BFC message board, I just find it very amusing that the subject is so divisive, but then again so many are on here, it's difficult to share an opinion without getting attacked for something. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_5821.JPG
IMG_5821.JPG (37.03 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Last edited by KateR on Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Blimey, scarred indeed.

Nobody's "attacking" anybody but hey ho..... :lol:

A few of us were having a discussion regarding the importance and relevance of poor spelling and poor grammar. No arguing, no grumpiness-umbrella for you to shelter under, just a reasonably interesting exchange of views.

To be fair, I simply pointed out that in my opinion presenting your thoughts, however silly, as accurately as possible is a matter of good manners if nothing else.

You added to the discussion and you appeared to disagree although, as I pointed out, as soon as your former efforts were mocked gently - not just by me, may I add - the improvement was spectacular with both spelling and punctuation having clearly been worked upon and, to be honest, I think that's admirable.

So you did give a **** after all.... ;)