Who is/was our best ever central midfield player?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Staniola
Been Liked: 30 times

Re: Who is/was our best ever central midfield player?

Post by Staniola » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:09 pm

My Grandad always used to argue with my Dad that Bob Kelly was the greatest ever Burnley player. Kelly played in the 20/21 title winning team. My Dad said Jimmy Mac was the best. In my generation and my opinion, it was Brian O’Neil, but he wouldn’t last two minutes with the way the game is refereed now.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1699 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:48 pm

Missed the Jimmy McClroy era, and the great team of 1959-1961

For me in terms of tackling, perpetual motion and general box to box play then it has to be Brian O Neil. For class, passing, breaking down attacks and scoring his fair share its Martin Dobson. Two of my favourite players

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Brian Stock

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 pm

That I’ve seen, Steven Defour.

Feel privileged to have seen him play for us.

Shame he was a little brittle. What a player though...

Barton second, bags of fight, bags of attitude and bags of skill and talent. Lead by example when playing for us.

Barlickclaret
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by Barlickclaret » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm

Kevin Ball, just for 1 tackle alone.
This user liked this post: Bigvince

Malvern claret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Malvern claret » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:01 pm

Jimmy Mac has to be up there but it is very hard to compare even players of the same era. Brian O’Neill and Gordon Harris were a tremendous pairing in the mid sixties but were totally different types of player. At the time I thought they should have both been in the 66 World Cup squad but later I wondered how realistic that was. O’Neill was the best player I ever saw in the muddy pitches that were very common in those days but was less effective, though still very good on the sort of pitch that Wembley was in July.

McIlroy and O’Neill were so different from each other. Martin Dobson was another outstanding player but the midfielder who excited me most when I first saw him was Dave Thomas, he had so much natural talent but only really blossomed when he became a winger.

In modern times Steven Defour and Joey Barton were very good but it is hard to choose between such different players.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Was a real pleasure to watch Djemba-Djemba at the time but that was just a warm up for the likes of Defour & Joey Barton.

Westwood, Cork and Marney have all been exceptional players in Burnley's midfield during my time watching.

Special mention for Graham Alexander too who shifted into midfield and rolled back quite a few years - truly inspiring stuff was that.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 am

JonBerro wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
In recent times, have to mention Defour and Barton.
Both special talents
Totally agree but the question is BEST EVER. In which case Mac the Knife it has to be.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Jimmy Mac was before my time, So I’d have to say Defour was our best midfielder which I have seen.

Marney was criminally underrated because of the same reason Eddie Howe is loved.. the connection being Brian Laws.

Joey Barton was immense aswell under Dyche.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:36 pm

McIlroy was an inside forward. Steven was more of a wide player. Coates was a winger. Miller was definitely, although classified as a left half, a central defender.
For me, it just has to be Martin Dobson.

Staniola
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Staniola » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Trevor Steven didn’t play wide for us, he played Centre mid and for him to run the midfield at age 18 in a very tough 3rd/2nd tier was some achievement. He was sublimely talented, but when he stepped up to the top level, he had to play wide right to get in the team at Everton and that’s also where he had his international success.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Staniola wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm
Trevor Steven didn’t play wide for us, he played Centre mid and for him to run the midfield at age 18 in a very tough 3rd/2nd tier was some achievement. He was sublimely talented, but when he stepped up to the top level, he had to play wide right to get in the team at Everton and that’s also where he had his international success.
Trevor could play anywhere, as he showed many times from fullback, centre mid, winger, striker he could do anything, and such a joy to watch. I always felt he was stifled for England, told to stay on the wing and being a top pro he did. He never got the recognition that the likes of Waddle, because they were allowed to be flamboyant, and lose the ball as often as they won it. Trevors pass success must have been in the high 90's, he never gave the ball away, and if allowed to play with the freedom of Waddle, would have proved himself a much better footballer, than most fans, apart from us Clarets, remember. Still you can't be top of the pile if you haven't played at the top for us, so it has to be Jimmy Mac.
I also loved watching Coates, Dobson and little Flynny. We were spoiled rotten in the early 70's. Only Defour of the modern game could match them.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1637 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:32 pm

We have had several excellent ones in my time of watching but two stand out for me.
Jimmy Mac and Brian O’ Neill