Covid 19 & the Travel Industry

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Covid 19 & the Travel Industry

Post by clarethomer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm

I am just interested in how everyone views 'holidays' given all that is going on in the world?

I personally have lost trust in the airlines and package holidays given all that I read about the difficulties people have had. It seems to be something every year with travellers being on the end of something that has gone wrong.

Given we are restricted to school holidays and I refuse to drop 2-3x more for a holiday in the school holidays, we tend to do more holidays in the UK or by travelling into europe on the tunnel and driving to keep costs down.

I just can't see a positive future for airlines and package holidays.. What do you think?

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Covid 19 & the Travel Industry

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Nothing but a positive experience with jet2....

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 pm

I have heard they were one of the better ones in the peak of the lockdown and many friends swear by not travelling with anyone else now.

They are now getting some bad press because they are cutting people's holidays short because of the airbridge being closed. Not suggesting they are wrong in what they are doing but if I had dumped a few grand into a holiday, its not what you want to experience even if it isn't their fault and surely wont provide confidence going forward.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 pm

I'm waiting for the government incentive to fly abroad and spend my money in Spain

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:24 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 pm
I have heard they were one of the better ones in the peak of the lockdown and many friends swear by not travelling with anyone else now.

They are now getting some bad press because they are cutting people's holidays short because of the airbridge being closed. Not suggesting they are wrong in what they are doing but if I had dumped a few grand into a holiday, its not what you want to experience even if it isn't their fault and surely wont provide confidence going forward.
When Covid started they carried on bringing people back till all their customers came back, on the date they should have, guess you Carnt do that every time and stay in business

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm
I am just interested in how everyone views 'holidays' given all that is going on in the world?

I personally have lost trust in the airlines and package holidays given all that I read about the difficulties people have had. It seems to be something every year with travellers being on the end of something that has gone wrong.

Given we are restricted to school holidays and I refuse to drop 2-3x more for a holiday in the school holidays, we tend to do more holidays in the UK or by travelling into europe on the tunnel and driving to keep costs down.

I just can't see a positive future for airlines and package holidays.. What do you think?
I work with quite a few travel companies. Airlines mainly.

Feel for them massively. Not only have they been the worse affected. They’re also the ones that have been messed about most.

Jet2 for example. Told they can fly to Spain. Then before the first month is even out they’re told Spain is now banned.

Not only that airlines have extremely tight margins. We are talking under 5%. So to fly under capacity the only options are increase the costs, sell more stuff on board or don’t fly.

To people who say they rip you off in the holidays. That’s not the case. They’re a victim of their own pricing in that sense.

Many winter flights are sold at a loss. To try and get new customers on board for future. And sell products and packages on board.

I flew to Düsseldorf once for £6. Estonia for not much more. And all round Europe for a pittance. I can’t get a bus to Barnoldswick and back for that. It’s a hugely competetive market. And I’ve had some below par experiences. But pre this you could get anywhere in Europe for a couple of hours wage!

Personally I wouldn’t fly during all this for many reasons.
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Jet2 are among some of the best people you could deal with.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 pm

No, it doesnt make financial sense. Just a mess for all involved.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:56 pm

As Cricketfield says they price the holiday/flight so cheap they haven't much margin for anything like this.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:23 pm

Personally I think lots of people will holiday in the UK this summer and realise what a pain in the neck airports and flying generally are.
This user liked this post: clarethomer

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 pm

I suspect this too.

Staycations on the up from looking at people I know and the holidays they are choosing. Will be interesting to see for sure of the longer term implications.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 pm

Im off to Turkey in Oct and cant wait but after watching the Govt promo video for a "staycation" in the UK I was so close to cancelling and holidaying at home

https://twitter.com/EstherMcVey1/status ... 2483087361
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Woonderbah

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 pm

We did briefly consider maybe booking something for October but sadly it just seems to much of a risk so we'll just wait and see what happens next year.

I do feel for the travel industry, and all the employees affected and the knock on effect it has for so many other businesses and their workers not least the aerospace companies.

Also feel for all the countries that rely heavily on tourism and especially countries like Tunisia and Egypt that were just starting to see visitors return in numbers again after several lean years following fears over terrorist attacks.

Hopefully the UK can at least see an upturn in 'staycations' in these difficult times.
This user liked this post: clarethomer

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Too much of a gamble at the moment to leave these shores-we like cruises-and i see one sailing from Norway has copped for Covid with nearly 50 passengers and crew infected and it doesn't sound as if the company have acted in a sensible way in dealing with it
Coronavirus: Dozens test positive for Covid-19 on Norwegian cruise ship.At least 41 passengers and crew on a Norwegian cruise ship have tested positive for Covid-19, officials say.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6883 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 pm

We've booked a few days in the lake district for October, normally its a week abroad but just dont want the hassle in case we have to isolate etc. I think though if people are sensible and follow the rules in the airports and abroad air travel should be safe .

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3806 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm

I personally have no ambition to go abroad during the Covid situation.

If I go anywhere in UK it may be to London but again not in any rush for now.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 pm

As it stands I'll only be going somewhere in the UK.

Maybe when things are clearer, I'll go abroad.

My ex, our daughter and I laws are meant to be going to Spain at the end of this month, but I think they'd be better off seeing if they can get a refund.

Roger1960
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Roger1960 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 pm

travel abroad next year looks tricky until they get a covid vaccine , insurers wont cover it and after december we are out of europe so the mutual medical cover we have now will probably end so if there is no vaccine and the virus is still around the potential cost if you catch it and end up in a foreign ICU with no insurance is not good

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 pm

I expect the mutual free medical care to continue - helps them as well as us.

For people who can work at home, coming back and isolating for 2 weeks is not that bad. The planes generally aren't that full - apparently around 40% on most routes. I'd consider it, but I'd go at a quieter time of year and possibly a less popular route e.g. not Malaga or Alicante. Or I'd drive.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10248 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Currently waiting to see if the Hull - Zeebrugge car ferry service is going to be reinstated in the next seven days. Pand O are saying nowt at the minute.
If not, it's anywhere by plane that's available.