Decent quality outdoor pizza oven recommendations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Decent quality outdoor pizza oven recommendations

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Looking at buying an outdoor pizza oven for a family member as a joint gift for an important birthday. I have used an OONI pizza oven before but due to the pandemic, their ovens can't be shipped until late September, and we really could do with it by the end of August.

Looking at spending £300-£500

Ideally would be multi fuel (gas and something else - woodchip, charcoal etc).

Want them to be able to cook pizza quickly and at high temperatures.

If anyone could send me a link to one that they have/ have experienced and tell me what's good about it, that'd be fab and very much appreciated.

Please note, although I like the OONI range, there's no point sending me their links as we simply won't be able to get one in time.

Thanks

John

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Re: Decent quality outdoor pizza oven recommendations

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:28 pm

We bought our son a Big Green Egg for a birthday, they are only with charcoal, they BBQ obviously but do pizzas also and I know he has used it for so many things, versatile but they are expensive. When we told him he did not want it and was looking for a large BBQ but hubby had a word with him in terms of looking at it and understanding what it was first, now he swears by it, just a thought.

StuffyClaret
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by StuffyClaret » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm

Apparently, it is pretty easy to build your own. I have a friend in Darwen who has built one big enough to climb into. He claims he can get almost 400f. The pizzas cook in seconds and are delicious..... You have to use authentic Italian pizza flour though 😎

On a separate note, my brother John has just launched his 'All Fired Up' mobile pizza company. He serves wood fired pizza from his van. He has been at Colne cricket club for the last two weekends and I believe he will be at Nelson cricket club on Friday night. He is available for weddings, birthdays, corporate events etc. Look him up on Facebook 😊

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:35 pm

https://uk.ooni.com/

Have a look on here, brother got one from here https://uk.ooni.com/products/ooni-koda-16 (might even be this one)

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:36 pm

Roccbox is the other popular one. Not sure whether you'll have much luck finding that in stock either though.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:44 pm

See if you can get one built from Stone.

Boban
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Boban » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:51 pm

https://www.johnlewis.com/ooni-3-outdoo ... n/p3172055

If you live close enough to these stores.

Boban
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Boban » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:53 pm

Should of said sorry check In store stock.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Cheers all so far.

I'm tempted to go for the OONI ones, but it'll definitely arrive late.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:12 pm

StuffyClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm
Apparently, it is pretty easy to build your own. I have a friend in Darwen who has built one big enough to climb into. He claims he can get almost 400f. The pizzas cook in seconds and are delicious..... You have to use authentic Italian pizza flour though 😎

On a separate note, my brother John has just launched his 'All Fired Up' mobile pizza company. He serves wood fired pizza from his van. He has been at Colne cricket club for the last two weekends and I believe he will be at Nelson cricket club on Friday night. He is available for weddings, birthdays, corporate events etc. Look him up on Facebook 😊
He needs to speed up service. I was at Colne for the 20/20 game v Accrington and a number of people simply gave up because of the amount of time it took to serve a pizza. My son and step father had one and they were decent but again they queued for a good half an hour before they were served. Later in the evening I quite fancied one but I wasn't standing in a queue for that length of time, especially when it started raining towards the end.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:58 pm
Cheers all so far.

I'm tempted to go for the OONI ones, but it'll definitely arrive late.
The link above shows one in stock in the Leeds John Lewis.......

Might be a smaller version that you were wanting though....

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:34 pm

It is a slightly smaller one than I wanted, with several of us chipping in. I have found one in the Igneus range, which gets good reviews and can be shipped in 2-3 days. Just don't want to compromise on quality.

StuffyClaret
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by StuffyClaret » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:12 pm
He needs to speed up service. I was at Colne for the 20/20 game v Accrington and a number of people simply gave up because of the amount of time it took to serve a pizza. My son and step father had one and they were decent but again they queued for a good half an hour before they were served. Later in the evening I quite fancied one but I wasn't standing in a queue for that length of time, especially when it started raining towards the end.
Hi Herts Claret.... That was his first night. He had overproved the dough (or something like that) and it was all splitting when he rolled it out. I queued up myself for over half an hour around that time to support him. He has learned from his mistakes and the following week went much smoother and I believe he sold out!

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:39 pm

What I don't get with Pizza ovens is this and please don't think I am trying to dampen your enthusiasm on your prospective purchase :

They take ages to warm up (longer than a normal electric oven)
I get that the flavour is great and cook quickly etc. But surely the offset is if it takes ages to heat up then the benefit of cooking quickly is lost. If you are making say 100 pizzas a day I get it. Most people it will be family and friends twice a year and probably only 5 or 6 maybe.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:54 pm

dpinsussex wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:39 pm
What I don't get with Pizza ovens is this and please don't think I am trying to dampen your enthusiasm on your prospective purchase :

I get that the flavour is great and cook quickly etc. But surely the offset is if it takes ages to heat up then the benefit of cooking quickly is lost. If you are making say 100 pizzas a day I get it. Most people it will be family and friends twice a year and probably only 5 or 6 maybe.
It's not really much different to a barbecue in that respect and plenty of people still get barbecues.
These 2 users liked this post: dpinsussex KateR

ChrisG
Been Liked: 331 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by ChrisG » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm

dpinsussex wrote:

I think the idea is that they can get up to about 450/500 degrees C, which you'll not get anywhere near in your household oven. This apparently cooks it quicker and creates a better rise and crisp, like you get in a restaurant.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:32 pm

ChrisG wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm
I think the idea is that they can get up to about 450/500 degrees C, which you'll not get anywhere near in your household oven. This apparently cooks it quicker and creates a better rise and crisp, like you get in a restaurant.
The science behind is as you say. Domestic ovens reach 250 degrees max. In order to cook the pizza through it dries out the dough and it becomes biscuit like. Get the oven to 450-500 degrees and it cooks the dough through without drying it out, melts the mozzarella and cooks the toppings. Generally will cook a pizza in 1 minute or so. The best I have managed without the luxury of a pizza oven is to use a very hot dry frying pan, add the toppings to the dough then place under a pre heated grill. The best home made pizza I have had without the use of a pizza oven.

I may well invest in one for next summer.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:54 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 pm
Looking at buying an outdoor pizza oven for a family member as a joint gift for an important birthday. I have used an OONI pizza oven before but due to the pandemic, their ovens can't be shipped until late September, and we really could do with it by the end of August.

Looking at spending £300-£500

Ideally would be multi fuel (gas and something else - woodchip, charcoal etc).

Want them to be able to cook pizza quickly and at high temperatures.

If anyone could send me a link to one that they have/ have experienced and tell me what's good about it, that'd be fab and very much appreciated.

Please note, although I like the OONI range, there's no point sending me their links as we simply won't be able to get one in time.

Thanks

John
Buy a house next to Pizza Express 😁
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:41 pm

dpinsussex wrote:

You're right. I built a makeshift one out of two very large ceramic pots, some ceramic fibre blanket and some fire bricks, and whilst it works very well and gets to 350 degrees, it takes a good 45 mins to and hour to get to temperature, and I've done 4 pizzas in it which are all done in about 3 minutes each. It then seems a 'waste' of heat. Since then I have cooked other stuff in the residual heat that's left over. I did once cook a lamb joint in it too.

For those comparing with BBQs, generally they are easier and quicker to get to temperature and that's probably the main difference
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1517 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:02 pm

Get a fake ooni "style" off amazon or ebay.

You're not exactly benefited by time, especially in the height of summer.