Coyle has a new job.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Re: Coyle has a new job.

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:13 pm

They have done a curry in his honour that’s sure to give you the shxts.
This user liked this post: HahaYeah

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:19 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:46 pm
TBH I have started to feel a bit sorry for him. He won't get anyway near a British job with his track record of abject failure so he has to talk up the league he is in.
Me too. Looking at that picture, even he he is struggling to force a convincing smile these days. The way his career has spiralled downwards since he left Burnley is almost tragicomical - he’s become a sort of football manager Spinal Tap.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 pm

No don't get it as he is still yesterday's man .
Moved on to better things with Bolton and has gone down really ever since . I fully expect to see him as the next manager Feckwits United in Fiji .
This user liked this post: HahaYeah

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6903 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:28 pm

It’s perfectly reasonable to not have any real feelings for someone or something but feeling a some satisfaction for their demise. It’s schadenfreude. I’m sure most of us experience this with Blackburn Rovers for example.

Anyway, fair play to Coyle in this instance, he’ll be earning more money than almost all of us and will be experiencing a fascinating country and totally different way of life. It takes something for someone to step so far out of their comfort zone.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:33 pm

The man worked wonders at our club. Like Jimmy Mullen, it’d be nice to have him do the halftime draw sometime so we can all show our appreciation.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:34 pm

So saddening to see the depths his career has sunk to. If only he had he stuck around then who knows, he could now be working for Radio Nottingham like his successor

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:43 pm

Pleasing to see that the pandemic hasn't disrupted the quarterly Owen Coyle report.

So he's in India, then. Good to know.

charlyt
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by charlyt » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:03 am

Fairs dos to the geezer.
When he was ours our we loved him
He got us our 1st promotion, then his ego got the better of him and he started on the slippery slide to obscurity.
Remember the good times under him.
Be glad the foundation was laid and wish him well, if only for what he achieved during his tenure with us.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone paulatky cricketfieldclarets

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1209 times
Has Liked: 7099 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 am

'Jamshedpur has a tremendous football legacy'.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:29 am

mercenary
/ˈməːsɪn(ə)ri/
adjective: mercenary

primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:18 am

It’s a job that tikkas all the right boxes for him
This user liked this post: longsidepies

mikeS
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am

The number one statement on his CV was taking BUrnley into the Premier League. The rest follows that.

Uwe Noble
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 286 times

Post by Uwe Noble » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 am

Good luck to him. He did a lot for us.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:17 am

Ah is he in the sights of the Venky's and a very (un)spectacular return to Deadwood?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 am

Love his scarf! Anyway we've long moved on for the better. Credit to him on his Energy eye for a challenge and stepping out of the comfort Zone.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 323 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by Woonderbah » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:38 pm

No doubt he'll accidentally let slip to the Jamshedpur fans that he turned down Juventus and Arsenal to take the job.. that and squeezing the word 'Tata' into every sentence.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:14 pm
A big part :lol:

We were losing money, youth set up in bits, floating about in mid table of the Championship and didn't know our arse from our elbow when Dyche arrived.

If you want 'a big part' , look no further than the man who is in charge now.
Anyone who thinks that Coyle didn't play a big part in where we are now clearly has no idea on what the position was when he joined us.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:28 pm

And someone clearly doesn't remember that just 3 and a bit years later we were selling our star forward hours before a new season started, for a bit of loose change because we were pot less.

Played a big part in where we were in 2012, but not 2020.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Woonderbah

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:50 pm

Anyone who doesn't recognise the part played by Steve Blatherwick and Mark Winstanley in where we are now has no idea how bad we were when they were sacked by Stan.

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5445 times

Post by k90bfc » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Still remember the Pubs on the way to the Turf,JUDAS COYLE DONT BELIEVE A WORD HE SAYS,Dont forget the plane,a proper fly over,that said so much!

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:07 pm

The club’s name has Judas in it!

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:27 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:28 pm
And someone clearly doesn't remember that just 3 and a bit years later we were selling our star forward hours before a new season started, for a bit of loose change because we were pot less.

Played a big part in where we were in 2012, but not 2020.
Well we were "pot less" but we still had enough money to be paying £15m in wages.

Before Coyle came in and got us promoted we were in a very shaky financial state.

We had sold Turf Moor and Gawthorpe to try and reduce our debts.

In 2007 we made a loss of £4m on a turnover of £6.6m. We had a wages:revenue ratio of 105% (i.e. our wage bill was higher than all of our revenue).

The year before was a similar picture although the loss was smaller due to the sale of Akinbiyi.

If we had carried on as we were then I can't see on what basis the financial situation would have turned around and we'd have started to record profits (unless we had cut the wage bill and transfers which almost always leads to a matched decrease in league position).

Our owners had (and still have) limited funds to subsidise us and certainly didn't have bottomless pockets.

I believe that the Modus insolvency event would probably have pushed the club into administration. There is no way the club would have had the assets to be able to repay a loan when the administrators called it in so either the other directors would have had to pay it (and I'm not convinced that would have happened) or we'd have gone into administration.

Dyche has clearly done an amazing job pushing us on but if Coyle hadn't got us promoted the chances of there being a championship Burnley for him to join were pretty slim.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am

aggi wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:27 am
Well we were "pot less" but we still had enough money to be paying £15m in wages.

Before Coyle came in and got us promoted we were in a very shaky financial state.

In 2007 we made a loss of £4m on a turnover of £6.6m. We had a wages:revenue ratio of 105% (i.e. our wage bill was higher than all of our revenue).

The year before was a similar picture although the loss was smaller due to the sale of Akinbiyi.

If we had carried on as we were then I can't see on what basis the financial situation would have turned around and we'd have started to record profits (unless we had cut the wage bill and transfers which almost always leads to a matched decrease in league position).

Our owners had (and still have) limited funds to subsidise us and certainly didn't have bottomless pockets.

I believe that the Modus insolvency event would probably have pushed the club into administration. There is no way the club would have had the assets to be able to repay a loan when the administrators called it in so either the other directors would have had to pay it (and I'm not convinced that would have happened) or we'd have gone into administration.

Dyche has clearly done an amazing job pushing us on but if Coyle hadn't got us promoted the chances of there being a championship Burnley for him to join were pretty slim.
Without the efforts of Mullen, Stan & Cotterill along with the financial backing he wouldn't have been able to get us promoted to the Premier League, how far back do you go ?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8432 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:45 am

aggi wrote:

Nobody disputes Coyle taking us up to the Prem against the odds ... my gripe is he dumped on us while we were in a good position in the league to move to Notlob....

Nuff said

Fretters
Been Liked: 1038 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:24 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am
Without the efforts of Mullen, Stan & Cotterill along with the financial backing he wouldn't have been able to get us promoted to the Premier League, how far back do you go ?
I'd say go back to Stan and then stop. All those managers, including Coyle, played a huge part in where we are today. Without the money from our first promotion, we wouldn't have signed the likes of Ings, Shackell Tripper etc i.e. the squad Dyche turned into promotion winners.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 am

I can see that argument. I'd say Coyle as we were in a downward spiral under Cotterill and Coyle's achievements effectively allowed a reset. Plus, it wasn't me who first mentioned what Coyle had contributed, it was others saying he had nothing to do with where we are now.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:48 pm

whatever he is, he is clearly a divisive figure with a pre & post Bolton move to the BFC fans, as remember from Moses to Judas in the blink of an eye.

However, as many said, the day out at Wembley was something he gave us and can never be taken away or forgotten, yet his move and downward spiral plays little thought in my thinking. I saw him and a few others from the Dynamos in the golf club once, pre Bolton I would have been over to say Hi, just ignored him and left him to it.

Mercenary:
(adj.) acquisitive, greedy, grasping, avaricious, venal

We as a family have been doing what we wanted for a living in many different countries and it's a relatively small circle, those who left companies to jump to another one for a few pounds soon got the name of being mercenaries and were remembered for future hiring/job interviews, I would definitely class him as a mercenary.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm

aggi wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 pm
Anyone who thinks that Coyle didn't play a big part in where we are now clearly has no idea on what the position was when he joined us.
Spot on

Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm
Spot on
Well said Cricketfield

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm

aggi wrote:

Spot on. And on top of all that he gave the board. The fans. The club. The town. Belief. Belief we could get back up to the top. And compete.

How people can’t admit that just because they still hate a man that did so much for us is laughable.

The demon was exorcised when we beat him under laws. And again under Howe. And when Dyche took us to heights his career has never been back to.

But without Coyle there would have been no Dyche no doubt.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:10 pm

That too is true. But the reality is when Coyle left we still had a nucleus of his brilliant squad. In fact we still have one of his signings in our squad now!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:15 pm

And to all those criticising. They were all pretty happy for him to walk out on st Johnstone to take over here.

They all want shut of Gibson who is happy to sit on his current contract. Can’t have it both ways.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:26 pm
Are we talking about the same man who gave me one of my best nights ever when we took on Spurs in the semi finals.
favorite post on the thread - a great night on the footy, then got to play jockey with Coyle

Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:54 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm
Spot on. And on top of all that he gave the board. The fans. The club. The town. Belief. Belief we could get back up to the top. And compete.

How people can’t admit that just because they still hate a man that did so much for us is laughable.

The demon was exorcised when we beat him under laws. And again under Howe. And when Dyche took us to heights his career has never been back to.

But without Coyle there would have been no Dyche no doubt.
Well said bud