More deaths than expected.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

More deaths than expected.

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:22 am

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 2020-06-12

I was very surprised at these figures locally around burnley. It hasn't been commonly released in press articles I have read and would surely make people act in a safer manner.

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Re: More deaths than expected.

Post by Jenny55 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:28 am

I hope you don’t think I am being blasé about these figures, however I would guess that most of the deaths were from the 70+ age group. People who have elderly or people with health issues in their household should certainly act in a safe manner, ie avoiding pubs etc.to avoid taking the virus home with them.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:40 am

Social distancing and avoiding picking up Covid is like vaccination where the benefit to the individual is small but to society massive-so the chances of getting Covid and dying are small but that the average person with Covid passes it on to at least 3 people increasing the risks of deaths to society at large.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:47 am

I was just a little shocked to see around 61 deaths out of Burnley and outskirts . You never really read about the local death toll. If only 5% of us have had it can we x that 61 by 20 for a worst case scenario guesstimate?

We have registered 500+ cases with a 10% death rate. How many people have been tested ?

I've just booked us all in for our 2nd round of testing , its free easy and if you have a car you should be getting tested monthly if not more frequent and its up to the government to provide the resources for this to happen.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:55 am

A good tool. Just been checking the areas of family and friends and there do appear to be massive anomalies that the first instinct is to think Nursing Home.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am

Bfcboyo
Testing comes second to social distancing and other measures to reduce the risks of picking up or transmitting the virus. A single negative test is not fool proof and does not mean you are not carrying the virus.Unless in a designated job where testing is indicated or for people who cannot social distance like in care homes testing the population is not much benefit apart from contact tracing.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 am

It's a sad fact that around 10,000 people or so die each week at this time of year in England & Wales .... The latest available figures ( week ending 24/7 ) show that for the last six weeks, the figure is actually below average for this time of year, the thinking being that the Covid19 virus brought forward a number of fatalities from people who would have died within a few weeks or months in any event ...

I am sceptical about the figures being issued for other Countries, if a Country doesn't test many of their people, then they're not going to report a high infection rate eg: Mexico & Pakistan. Of the current Pakistani Cricket squad & management, 10 out of 31 tested positive in June prior to travelling to the UK, they were not allowed to travel until they'd recorded two negative tests to show they'd recovered. My sister works at the DWP with several people of Asian heritage, and there are some horrendous tales coming from their relatives on the sub-continent ....

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:55 am
A good tool. Just been checking the areas of family and friends and there do appear to be massive anomalies that the first instinct is to think Nursing Home.
For example, the Rosehiil and Burnley Wood has significant number of Care Homes, so a death rate of 16 although horrible is probably not that surprising.