When will we know about going back on the turf?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

When will we know about going back on the turf?

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:02 am

I think there has been a post on this already but for the life of me, I can't get anything to show via search terms. Probably lack of morning caffeine!

What is the current situation with us getting back into the ground?

I seem to recall there was progress and suggestions that there may be limited spectators at some point.

I also recall reading that this may not happen until 2021.

I think there was also some talk about being able to decide not to go but protect your seat for the season?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: When will we know about going back on the turf?

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:05 am

Can't see it being before Xmas at this rate.

The R rate is possibly around 1, local lockdowns are becoming regular and winter could potentially see another Covid spike

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:06 am

This user liked this post: MT03ALG

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:06 am

There were some test events planned in August, but they were cancelled a few weeks or ago when cases started to rise. As far as I understand, nobody knows now. I don’t think it will be until 2021 earliest.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:06 am

There is no current situation other than the Premier League discussing the potential for getting spectators back inside the grounds - that's about it.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:13 am

I’m hoping that they’ll focus more on working with the TV companies to ensure that fans can see at least all of the games involving their teams.

At the current time, that should the the priority, not rushing to get people into the grounds.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:18 am

Doubt it will be soon given our inability to follow guidance and what will happen come Autumn. Although it hasn't hit the headlines some ITU units are seeing more cases again and as they are the minority of cases it tells you what must be occurring. More games behind closed doors until spring would be my ill informed guess-unless we get an effective vaccine this winter which seems unlikely
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 am

I think you can forget this coming season, the way things are panning out.
Hope I'm wrong, but not for a long time.
These 3 users liked this post: paulatky Silkyskills1 k90bfc

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:32 am

I predicted August 2021 a couple of months ago and I still stand by that prediction.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:39 am

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Leeds got relegated without their scumbag fans even seeing a ball kicked live :D . Joking apart i have to agree, think it will be a long long time before we are in a football ground again..
Last edited by Andreshotboots on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:41 am

DCWat wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:13 am
I’m hoping that they’ll focus more on working with the TV companies to ensure that fans can see at least all of the games involving their teams.

At the current time, that should the the priority, not rushing to get people into the grounds.
Deal already done though with TV companies for the next two seasons. End of last season was a one off which might not be repeated.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks all.

I was of a similar opinion in terms of expecting not to be anywhere near a live game for a long period of time and until there is a vaccine, or we understand this virus better, I am not sure if even if we were allowed back in the stadium, I would want to go.

I too hope we can continue to watch all games like we did with project restart if we can't get back in.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:48 am

Hopefully towards the end of October, although with 80% of people ( being generous ) unable to follow the current guidelines, it will go on much longer than it ever needed too.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:02 am

Worrying times for football I think, even at our level. The longer it goes on behind closed doors I think more and more people will get out of the habit of going, or realise they don't actually miss it that much, or start going to watch their local non league team instead.
These 2 users liked this post: mdd2 paulatky

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:06 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:02 am
Worrying times for I think, even at our level. The longer it goes on behind closed doors I think more and more people will get out of the habit of going, or realise they don't actually miss it that much, or start going to watch their local non league team instead.
I think you have hit the nail on the head with that post jrgbfc

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:08 am

Just imagine if we don’t get back in the stadiums this coming season but the TV companies stick with the original deal and don’t broadcast all or most games. What on earth would be the point? That’d be the final straw for me in terms of how ridiculously money-oriented football has become.
This user liked this post: paulatky

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 am

The TV companies will show the games, don’t worry about that.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:23 am

I don't think we really still know what the full ramifications are of this pandemic is going to have on everyday life never mind football.

I wouldn't go and watch anybody else even locally - I don't need a football fix in that way.

If they only show the agreed games that have been paid for, then perhaps there needs to be some kind of ifollow type set up where season tickets can be bought to see all home games for your club.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:35 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 am
The TV companies will show the games, don’t worry about that.
So you clearly know more on this than the Premier League and the club owners do

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:45 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:08 am
Just imagine if we don’t get back in the stadiums this coming season but the TV companies stick with the original deal and don’t broadcast all or most games. What on earth would be the point? That’d be the final straw for me in terms of how ridiculously money-oriented football has become.
It's a spectator sport. It was clearly the right thing to do to try and finish the 2019/20 season which was done successfully in the top two divisions, but how long do you continue like that? There isn't really a point to it if there are no supporters.
This user liked this post: groove

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 am

I thought we were at the beginning of things looking up when the Snooker World Championships had a third of the crowd in for Day 1, but then the plug was pulled on that one.

Snooker is being used as one of the testing phases, so it might be the end of November when they test it again with the UK Championships. If everything goes well, then we may see the same rules apply in January, where there's a stadium maximum of a third capacity. Of course, it's guess work, but just a possible theory.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:57 am

I can't speak for the English leagues, but there was talk of limited numbers of fans being allowed into Scottish grounds possibly in September, however the Aberdeen fiasco might have set that back some while now.

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole 20-21 season was played behind closed doors, this virus is still circulating in the community, and the theory is it's likely to increase it's spread in the Autumn/Winter months, so if that proves to be the case then i think we can forget about any mass gatherings for at least a year or so.

How the lower leagues cope in the interim i have no idea, and a worst case scenario is that several clubs go under, hopefully not but it must be a strong possibility if they aren't generating any income.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:45 am
It's a spectator sport. It was clearly the right thing to do to try and finish the 2019/20 season which was done successfully in the top two divisions, but how long do you continue like that? There isn't really a point to it if there are no supporters.
I would say that Football is now an entertainment business and like any good business, it will need to adapt to survive.

Its a business that exist on selling rights to open up access for people to watch the game. With a global audience of 3.2bn then this is still a viable business when you probably see circa 0.5m fans in the stadium in the PL each week.

I accept that its a spectator sport and that football outside the premier league is important to have fans present in the ground but we all know that the people in the ground pay very little in terms of the overall wealth of club in the PL.

The question is whether the value of the product is reduced by not having supporters and fans in the ground and if smaller clubs can't operate as a result. However there is opportunity where it could open up TV rights in a different way which still allow fans to see games and for clubs to get the finances to operate.

Its bizarre to think about this and one that seems very unthinkable but given the way the world is, it wouldn't at all surprise me at all if clubs and leagues are looking at how to protect their investments with and without fans
Last edited by clarethomer on Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am

I think it will be next Easter.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:35 am
So you clearly know more on this than the Premier League and the club owners do
All I’m saying is that I’m pretty confident that they will show the Premier League games. Not sure what the deal will be but I don’t think any games that are played behind closed doors won’t be covered in some way.

Tony, you’re turning into your old pedantic self again. Picking apart everyone’s opinions and comments, no one likes it.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 pm

I heard it I heard it will be announced next Thursday, along with our first summer signing and the new pricing for Twixes

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 pm

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:04 pm
All I’m saying is that I’m pretty confident that they will show the Premier League games. Not sure what the deal will be but I don’t think any games that are played behind closed doors won’t be covered in some way.

Tony, you’re turning into your old pedantic self again. Picking apart everyone’s opinions and comments, no one likes it.
I’ve been in enough meetings recently both nationally and locally to have some understanding of what’s happening. I’m not being pedantic at all but you didn’t say you were pretty confident, you said the games WILL be shown.

The TV companies are certainly not happy at forking out the same sort of money for games with no spectators. The product they paid for us with fans inside the ground. I’ve no idea what will happen but I do know we are currently some way away from all games being shown.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:13 pm

I went to watch my kids play grassroots football yesterday, the local non-league side expect to let us watch in September. The more you do stuff like that, the less you care about paying hundreds of pounds for the privilege of seeing a financially rigged league of millionaires owned by billionaires. Paying to watch that on telly, with no fans there, fake crowd noise and endless VAR breaks.. well, it won't be happening in our house.

Still, I'd love to get back on the Turf. I'd probably buy a dodgy Russian vaccine off the internet next month if it meant I could.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 pm
I’ve been in enough meetings recently both nationally and locally to have some understanding of what’s happening. I’m not being pedantic at all but you didn’t say you were pretty confident, you said the games WILL be shown.

The TV companies are certainly not happy at forking out the same sort of money for games with no spectators. The product they paid for us with fans inside the ground. I’ve no idea what will happen but I do know we are currently some way away from all games being shown.
So why didn’t you reply with that, rather than your belittling original comment.

Your slipping back to the times you used to reply with “I think you’ll find it’s isn’t” phase

We’re having a discussion, this isn’t a platform for you talk to people like ****.
These 5 users liked this post: tim_noone Boss Hogg Bosna cricketfieldclarets Zlatan

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:20 pm
So why didn’t you reply with that, rather than your belittling original comment.

Your slipping back to the times you used to reply with “I think you’ll find it’s isn’t” phase

We’re having a discussion, this isn’t a platform for you talk to people like ****.
And it isn’t a platform for you to claim your opinion to be fact. It needed picking up on. Whether I did that in the right way is open to debate but your responses since have suggested I did. Stop claiming things a fact that aren’t and stop insulting people who pick you on it whether that’s fine in the right way or not.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Fair enough, but you should correct people with what you know rather than just your ‘computer says no’ replies.

You do it everyone. It’s insufferable
These 2 users liked this post: Bosna cricketfieldclarets

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:34 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:13 pm
I went to watch my kids play grassroots football yesterday, the local non-league side expect to let us watch in September. The more you do stuff like that, the less you care about paying hundreds of pounds for the privilege of seeing a financially rigged league of millionaires owned by billionaires. Paying to watch that on telly, with no fans there, fake crowd noise and endless VAR breaks.. well, it won't be happening in our house.

Still, I'd love to get back on the Turf. I'd probably buy a dodgy Russian vaccine off the internet next month if it meant I could.
When we were first stopped from going I thought there would be a huge response when we were finally allowed to return but now I’m not so sure and I tend to agree with your thoughts.

I have missed it like hell, I love going so much, but even I’ve got used to the new normal. I don’t know how I’ll feel if they allow reduced numbers in and I can’t go and more so if it is not televised.

Right now that’s not a problem because I don’t go out and haven’t done for six weeks since some inconsiderate runner decided to push me over because I hadn’t heard him while walking. Still, have to go out tomorrow, emergency dental appointment.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Most probably will start to let spectators back in age groups,us oldies will be kept out for quite a while until everybody has been vaccinated.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:41 pm

I think common sense has to prevail in the long run - even if we are not close to a deal/solution yet.

If fans cannot go into a ground then the professional leagues will have to maintain some availability for supporters to access. I can't for one minute accept there will not be access.

What I can guess may happen is that they only make it available to paid subscribers - so not free to air. That to me would make sense, especially with an option of season ticket holders being able to access their team home games on a platform such as iFollow.

These payments could be made to the club as ST payments still. I know this may seem inconcievable but Im seeing things in my line of work where people are talking about things that simply went against most operating models because the way the world has changed.

I can't see how they can start the season without some sort of solution to fans being able to access games - however, I can see CT's view and understanding that this may not be free to air in the same way we have seen of late.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Yes the contracts the tv companies signed were based on fans being in the grounds - but just like most of the people across the world they will be looking to adapt and change things I’m sure.
Based on last season it seems likely that the contracts they have allow them to reduce payments for games behind closed doors - so that’s an obvious financial risk to all clubs.
But personally I can’t imagine a situation where the TV companies will not want to show as many games as possible to as many people - why would they not want to show games ? They will not do it for free but I can see some kind of bespoke / reduced offering deal which is tailored to individual clubs possibly.
They could still do this and at the same time reduce the money they hand over to the Premier League - simply because again why wouldn’t they ? The Premier League are not in an especially strong bargaining position either - with no fans the product is definitely worse.

In terms of fans being let by in - at the moment it feels like with the recent outbreaks and far too many idiots adamant that they will now do what they want that there is no chance of fans returning this year. The priority will be to get schools open and that sounds like it could happen at the cost of some lockdown measures being brought back in which again suggests no chance we will relax guidelines elsewhere.

I can see the one person we have at the club who is employed to look after direct debits brushing up his CV as we speak !!

kendaldave
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by kendaldave » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:10 pm

To put the risk into some perspective, the current rate of infection in England is 9 per 100000 and 21.5 per 100000 in Burnley. This would mean that with a full house of 20000 at Turf Moor there would likely be between 2 and 4 people infected. If we closed all the outlets in the concourse to stop people congregating there and made the wearing of masks compulsory in football grounds then it would probably be as safe as going to the supermarket. I'd certainly be prepared to attend on that basis.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Closed outlets in the concourse - would you close toilets too?

What about the turnstiles where there is a high frequency contact point amongst all fans too?

There is a lot to consider when you think about it.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is absolutely ludicrous to start a new season without fans in the ground.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:45 pm

No it wouldn't be as safe as you will be next to people at the ground for longer than the 15 minutes where your risk is assessed as rising of catching the virus from one of the four in the ground who have the virus and maybe within 2 metres of you.At the Supermarket you will only have a brief encounter with the 0.02 of a person in the supermarket who may have it assuming they let 100 customers and staff in at any time.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:56 pm

I’m at a loss to understand why having a completely captive audience with no option of attending the games is an hindrance to tv companies. It makes no logical sense.

Games will be shown, it would be lunacy not to show them.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Just as an aside, assume we are allowed spectators in. How would Burnley fans access the cricket field stand? That entrance is now blocked off with the new away team dressing room. Are all the concourses satisfactory for social distancing? So would some stands have to remain closed?

Apart from anything else, it's just not a simple operation to implement at the Turf and presumably a lot of other grounds, particularly the older grounds.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:10 pm

BL would be empty as none of us would be young enough to attend. :D :D

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:11 pm

groove wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is absolutely ludicrous to start a new season without fans in the ground.
On what basis would it be ludicrous?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

groove

Post by groove » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:11 pm
On what basis would it be ludicrous?
Because it's a spectator sport. Watching games in empty stadiums with fake crowd noise just doesn't cut it for me. It's only going ahead for the TV money. You don't see rock concerts or music festivals continuing behind closed doors. If it was upto me the season wouldn't start.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:44 pm

groove wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm
Because it's a spectator sport. Watching games in empty stadiums with fake crowd noise just doesn't cut it for me. It's only going ahead for the TV money. You don't see rock concerts or music festivals continuing behind closed doors. If it was upto me the season wouldn't start.
Do players still get paid?

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:46 pm

Quick Q

If a lower attendance is allowed. Who would be first on the list?

Sean Dyche's Watch
Been Liked: 233 times

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:50 pm

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:46 pm
Quick Q

Aaron Aardvark
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG Marty Dobson

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:51 pm

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:46 pm
Quick Q

Nothing said by our club as yet but I've seen a couple of other clubs who have said they will ballot season ticket holders match by match and that no one will get tickets for two games until everyone has at least had the offer of a ticket for one game.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:52 pm

groove wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm
They now record music for you to enjoy in your own home, crazy isn’t it!

groove

Post by groove » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:52 pm
They now record music for you to enjoy in your own home, crazy isn’t it!
Really? Wish I'd known that. I've been going to gigs and festivals for 30 years. What a pillock I am.
This user liked this post: Bertiebeehead