When will we know about going back on the turf?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Re: When will we know about going back on the turf?

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Sean Dyche's Watch wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:50 pm
Aaron
I think his son would be first AArdvarkson although his sister AArabella AArdvarkdottir may be ahead of them both. :lol: :lol:

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:00 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:44 pm
Do players still get paid?
Why should they be treated any different to anyone else whose livelihood has been affected by Covid. You could argue that with the extortionate salaries they receive, they are massively insulated against going unpaid for a year or so. This is what pisses me off about modern football. Money money money. Nothing else matters. Makes me sick.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:05 pm

Isn't the problem that unless the Club goes bust the players under contract are entitled to being paid? If the club renege on the contract by not paying their players in full then those players can leave and join another club on a free transfer with the club losing any potential transfer fee.
Players hold all the aces and play with a marked deck in their favour these days.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:11 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:05 pm
Isn't the problem that unless the Club goes bust the players under contract are entitled to being paid? If the club renege on the contract by not paying their players in full then those players can leave and join another club on a free transfer with the club losing any potential transfer fee.
Players hold all the aces and play with a marked deck in their favour these days.
I was hoping that all this Covid business might introduce some sanity into the game. If it did come to that, where would the players go? Surely the time has come for contracts to be a bit more realistic and sensible. I hope all this player power and agents pulling the strings off football is coming to an end.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Can't see it being anytime soon for fans back in the grounds sadly.
5 months into this pandemic, and here in our area we are facing more restrictions recently. I wonder how the clubs in the lower divisions will cope with no income from fans through the turnstiles. Gloomy prospect really.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:35 am
So you clearly know more on this than the Premier League and the club owners do
Managing change is the key to good leadership

Need a can do , will do attitude.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:45 am
It's a spectator sport. It was clearly the right thing to do to try and finish the 2019/20 season which was done successfully in the top two divisions, but how long do you continue like that? There isn't really a point to it if there are no supporters.
I wouldn't like to count how much sport I have watched on TV, but it's a lot. Football, cricket, rugby league, baseball, snooker, horse racing ...

All those sports may be pointless to people who don't watch them, but they aren't pointless to me. Obviously sport can only continue at top level or at amateur level because there is little TV money for lower end professionals, but it's still not pointless.

As for when = well, it's very hard to assess government policy at present, or even to know if they have a policy. But as far as recent press conferences it seems that there will be no spectator sport until there is a widely used vaccine and coronavirus is no longer a danger and guaranteed will never be a danger. And that could be a very long time, or forever.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3600 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:39 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:04 pm
Yes the contracts the tv companies signed were based on fans being in the grounds - but just like most of the people across the world they will be looking to adapt and change things I’m sure.
Based on last season it seems likely that the contracts they have allow them to reduce payments for games behind closed doors - so that’s an obvious financial risk to all clubs.
But personally I can’t imagine a situation where the TV companies will not want to show as many games as possible to as many people - why would they not want to show games ? They will not do it for free but I can see some kind of bespoke / reduced offering deal which is tailored to individual clubs possibly.
They could still do this and at the same time reduce the money they hand over to the Premier League - simply because again why wouldn’t they ? The Premier League are not in an especially strong bargaining position either - with no fans the product is definitely worse.

In terms of fans being let by in - at the moment it feels like with the recent outbreaks and far too many idiots adamant that they will now do what they want that there is no chance of fans returning this year. The priority will be to get schools open and that sounds like it could happen at the cost of some lockdown measures being brought back in which again suggests no chance we will relax guidelines elsewhere.

I can see the one person we have at the club who is employed to look after direct debits brushing up his CV as we speak !!
The contracts “were based on fans being in the ground”. Is that fact or assumption?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32244 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:39 pm
The contracts “were based on fans being in the ground”. Is that fact or assumption?
Fact - already been stated as one of the reasons for the reduction in the payment
This user liked this post: DCWat

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 am

So we may be back to the days of relying on radio Lancashire again then.

God help us. :roll:

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Jenny55 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Just getting the kids back to school would be helpful. Once they are back at school properly and if the UK death toll remains low, I think the government will start to allow people into sports stadiums albeit with restrictions.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3171 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:51 pm
Nothing said by our club as yet but I've seen a couple of other clubs who have said they will ballot season ticket holders match by match and that no one will get tickets for two games until everyone has at least had the offer of a ticket for one game.
Be interested in how that would work and if it would be as “groups” or individual/households

There are 5 in our group but from 4 different homes

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 am
So we may be back to the days of relying on radio Lancashire again then.

God help us. :roll:
As long as they bring back the whistle and "goal action" announcement
These 3 users liked this post: Whitgord Cirrus_Minor longsidepies

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:41 am
Deal already done though with TV companies for the next two seasons. End of last season was a one off which might not be repeated.
Massive mistake if they don’t repeat the free to air options.

With people not being able to attend. And then not being able to watch. It will continue to fall down peoples list of priorities.

It’s a very short term view they’re taking if they go back to limited tv screenings.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3760 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:56 pm

Jenny55 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm
Just getting the kids back to school would be helpful. Once they are back at school properly and if the UK death toll remains low, I think the government will start to allow people into sports stadiums albeit with restrictions.
I personally can’t see it until next years flu season is over. I think there is too much risk of a backlash if it starts to peak again, otherwise.

For me though, temperature checks, mandatory hand sanitising and masks could make it safe enough.

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Jenny55 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:56 pm

That was exciting when the whistle went! Until we found out it had gone in our net!
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies JohnDearyMe

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:45 am
It's a spectator sport. It was clearly the right thing to do to try and finish the 2019/20 season which was done successfully in the top two divisions, but how long do you continue like that? There isn't really a point to it if there are no supporters.
Of course there is.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Nothing said by our club as yet but I've seen a couple of other clubs who have said they will ballot season ticket holders match by match and that no one will get tickets for two games until everyone has at least had the offer of a ticket for one game.
Interesting approach CT - at your next opportunity, would you please be able to check or raise the question of whether those fans who are season ticket holders and also in a high risk group would be considered? I know that if I sought medical advice I would be told not to attend under any circumstances, so it would be pointless for me to be in a ballot as I would not attend anyway.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:10 pm
Interesting approach CT - at your next opportunity, would you please be able to check or raise the question of whether those fans who are season ticket holders and also in a high risk group would be considered? I know that if I sought medical advice I would be told not to attend under any circumstances, so it would be pointless for me to be in a ballot as I would not attend anyway.
I’ve previously asked about season ticket holders with health issues and concerns. I’d expect the club to do the right thing.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 pm
Fact - already been stated as one of the reasons for the reduction in the payment
I can’t for the life of me fathom why having a bigger available tv audience reduces the payment.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:36 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:56 pm
Of course there is.
I’d agree. I think, being realistic, if you assumed that it was a normal season (Aug to May) there’s every chance we won’t get fans back in stadia before May, given it will conflict with flu season & the Gov will be keen not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Hopefully death rates, if not transmission rates, will stay low and allow for reopening but in all likelihood we may miss a whole season if we waited to be able to let fans in again.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:37 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:26 pm
I can’t for the life of me fathom why having a bigger available tv audience reduces the payment.
Me either.

I’d imagine larger audiences + more games available on TV = bigger payment.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
I heard that there was a PL vote a few Fridays ago but that we were going to vote against reopening with a smaller number of fans in the ground due to the conflicts and complexities of selecting who would attend.

Not sure if that vote took place or was deferred given the cancellation of the test events around the same time.

theboydonegood
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by theboydonegood » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:44 pm

I think you could fit about 2500 people inside our ground with social distancing etc. so we all get to see 4 games per season

TBDG

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:45 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:36 pm
I’d agree. I think, being realistic, if you assumed that it was a normal season (Aug to May) there’s every chance we won’t get fans back in stadia before May, given it will conflict with flu season & the Gov will be keen not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Hopefully death rates, if not transmission rates, will stay low and allow for reopening but in all likelihood we may miss a whole season if we waited to be able to let fans in again.
Absolutely. Look at sweden now for example. Incredibly low death rates.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:48 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:44 pm
I heard that there was a PL vote a few Fridays ago but that we were going to vote against reopening with a smaller number of fans in the ground due to the conflicts and complexities of selecting who would attend.

Not sure if that vote took place or was deferred given the cancellation of the test events around the same time.
The most recent PL meeting was last week but I'm not aware of any such actions from our club. I would assume that the twenty clubs will work together on whatever they come up with.