Putin said Russia has become the first country to grant regulatory approval to a Covid-19 vaccine

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Putin said Russia has become the first country to grant regulatory approval to a Covid-19 vaccine

Post by Stan Tastic » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am

President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had become the first country in the world to grant regulatory approval to a Covid-19 vaccine after less than two months of human testing, Reuters reports.

Speaking at a government meeting on state television, Putin said the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, was safe and that it had even been administered to one of his daughters.

“I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks,” Putin added.

There are however concerns about the speed at which Russia is moving to roll out its vaccine, with some concerned that it may be putting national prestige before sound science and safety.

Putin hoped the country would soon start mass producing the vaccine.

Its approval by the health ministry foreshadows the start of a larger trial involving thousands of participants, commonly known as a Phase III trial.

Such trials, which require a certain rate of participants catching the virus to observe the vaccine’s effect, are normally considered essential precursors for a vaccine to receive regulatory approval.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... 3d1603a315

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Re: Putin said Russia has become the first country to grant regulatory approval to a Covid-19 vaccine

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:18 pm

Treat with caution.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Putin said Russia has become the first country to grant regulatory approval to a Covid-19 vaccine

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Fantastic news.

What pi$$es me off about politics is that becaue this is Russia (And same for China) it will be heavily criticised and told to avoid.

If they have come up with a safe, proven treatment why cant 'The West' acknowledge this and work with them? Its the same in Politics, The Tories can come up with excellent solutions and labour and its supporters wont accept it And vice versa.

Hopefuly this is the start of some excellent news re vaccines.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:54 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 pm
If they have come up with a safe, proven treatment
Totally agree with your whole point in regards to the Western culture just not wanting to be "beaten", for want of a better word, by China and Russia to a vaccine and it is a very childish mentally the west employs regarding stuff like this.

The point of the quote is that I think at the moment this is the point that due to clinical trials being rushed and not fully tested, the vaccine Russia claim to have is not yet a proven treatment, but fingers crossed it is and if not another vaccine is developed ASAP.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:56 pm

claretburns wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:54 pm
Totally agree with your whole point in regards to the Western culture just not wanting to be "beaten", for want of a better word, by China and Russia to a vaccine and it is a very childish mentally the west employs regarding stuff like this.

The point of the quote is that I think at the moment this is the point that due to clinical trials being rushed and not fully tested, the vaccine Russia claim to have is not yet a proven treatment, but fingers crossed it is and if not another vaccine is developed ASAP.
Absolutely. I accept that this will be rushed through quicker than it ordinarily would. But that will also be the case in 'our' vaccines.

If anything should accelerate our already excellent work!

We should be collaberating with not against Russia and China

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by HahaYeah » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Yes to working with Russia but collaborating with China is like asking Jack the Ripper to help identify any dodgy serial killers in Whitechapel in 1888.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6849 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Always remember a story about space exploration and America spent hundreds of millions trying to develop a pen that would write in space with very limited success if any, the Russians sent there cosmonauts up with pencils and job done.
Different circumstances but sometimes simplicity is more successful.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Buxtonclaret

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:14 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 pm
Always remember a story about space exploration and America spent hundreds of millions trying to develop a pen that would write in space with very limited success if any, the Russians sent there cosmonauts up with pencils and job done.
Different circumstances but sometimes simplicity is more successful.
That story isn’t true unfortunately.

I wouldn’t want injecting with something the Russian state had rushed through trials.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Lots of other vaccines around the world at same stage as the Russian one is at. None of them are being let loose for general consumption. I'll stick with the majority thankyou.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:20 pm

This From the same guy who sanctioned the use of Novochok nerve agent on the streets of Salisbury and Polonium In the murder of Litvinenko. No thanks and it’s not had any rigorous testing done beyond 40 Russians.
This user liked this post: dermotdermot

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:40 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:14 pm
That story isn’t true unfortunately.

I wouldn’t want injecting with something the Russian state had rushed through trials.
Didn't think it was, I think it was used as an example at the time.

mikeS

Post by mikeS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:43 pm

From Sky News online

"It's based on a modified form of the adenovirus, which causes the common cold.
And it's just completed a phase 1 study in 38 people - that's a trial to assess whether it has any major side effects and whether it produces a good immune response."

Its not a cure

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 pm
Lots of other vaccines around the world at same stage as the Russian one is at. None of them are being let loose for general consumption. I'll stick with the majority thankyou.
In part because many others will be extra cautious and subject to much more stringent regulations.

There’s obviously pros to that. I don’t disagree.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 pm

I think we are all desperate for good news.

Clinging to any good news at all seems rather foolish. There is a reason things like this take so much time.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 pm

My concern is that it is only very partially successful so the virus ends up mutating to get round it thus rendering it more dangerous.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 pm

I'd even be skeptical of the safety of a British vaccine if one is made available as early as next month, which the Oxford University scientist said might be possible.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 pm
I think we are all desperate for good news.

Clinging to any good news at all seems rather foolish. There is a reason things like this take so much time.
Usually because they don’t have all of every countries scientific and medical brains focussing on it.

Right now years and years of research and testing is being done in weeks and months.

The only thing you can’t prove with such an approach is long term impact and immunity.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm
Usually because they don’t have all of every countries scientific and medical brains focussing on it.

Right now years and years of research and testing is being done in weeks and months.

The only thing you can’t prove with such an approach is long term impact and immunity.
That’s two huge issues that “you can’t prove”. I certainly wouldn’t be first in the queue, if the Russian vaccine was released to all of us, in the near future.

yTib
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 665 times

Post by yTib » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:26 pm

putin is the biggest gangster on the planet.

pure filth.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 pm
That’s two huge issues that “you can’t prove”. I certainly wouldn’t be first in the queue, if the Russian vaccine was released to all of us, in the near future.
Of course. But those two issues are the same for every single vaccine regardless of who produces them. What’s the alternative, wait ten years to see how the trials pan out?

There’s risks vs reward we have to weigh up on everything associated with the vaccine and treatments.

Even in five years I personally wouldnt take it based on my circumstances today.

But if I was overweight. Diabetic. Immune deficient Or suffering any other related high risk ailment I’d take the Russian drug tomorrow.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 pm

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm
Well that’s kind of the point.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:03 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 pm
Well that’s kind of the point.
So how do you prove it? Wait ten years?

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:08 pm

The answer is probably somewhere in between ten years and not being tested fully.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Bet this has really peed his mate off in Washington.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:40 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:08 pm
The answer is probably somewhere in between ten years and not being tested fully.
Cool. Let’s hang around like this then.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Probably for the best.

It’s why people don’t set their houses on fire when they are a bit cold. It can do more harm than good.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:49 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:44 pm
Probably for the best.

It’s why people don’t set their houses on fire when they are a bit cold. It can do more harm than good.
Not the best analogy.

Any non western vaccine was always going to be met with cynicism.

The reality is they’ve just as good a chance of us as producing it.

There’s risks with our vaccines. Risks with any. Risks with no vaccines. Risks with waiting for years.

Personally think if no vaccine is produced by Christmas and we got through winter with the current downward trajectory or at least low rates we will all be let loose anyway. Either through governments choice or our own.

We can’t hang around forever. The damage to people’s mental health. The lack of nhs treatment for other critical services (cancer being a big one) are clearly going to do much more damage.

Not to mention the most important in society (also the least vulnerable) - the kids being hugely impacted in lack of education, social interaction etc. They’re the future. Obviously. And it would be criminal to let them suffer another messed up year.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Monkey tennis anyone?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Theres an important middle ground on this subject.

The people you dont want to pay attention to are on the one side the cynics or politically motivated people who will just dismiss something because of who it is and on the other side those so desperate to accept anything that gives them the positive news they want to hear they will ignore any counter opinion and bang on about the MSM and that kind of crap

The middle ground is letting it be examined and reviewed by the experts in all the medical fields linked with this and try and take an informed and balanced opinion

I would bet my life with Putin's track record that this is boll*cks but if it got good support from a consensus of wide ranging renowned experts who have a track record for being independent, balanced and well respected then I wouldnt give a sh*t whether its Russia, China or Madagascar who are behind it
These 3 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret cricketfieldclarets fatboy47

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1816 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:12 pm

This, more than anything, will really p1ss off Trump.

And that can't be a bad thing.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:13 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:02 pm
Theres an important middle ground on this subject.

The people you dont want to pay attention to are on the one side the cynics or politically motivated people who will just dismiss something because of who it is and on the other side those so desperate to accept anything that gives them the positive news they want to hear they will ignore any counter opinion and bang on about the MSM and that kind of crap

The middle ground is letting it be examined and reviewed by the experts in all the medical fields linked with this and try and take an informed and balanced opinion

I would bet my life with Putin's track record that this is boll*cks but if it got good support from a consensus of wide ranging renowned experts who have a track record for being independent, balanced and well respected then I wouldnt give a sh*t whether its Russia, China or Madagascar who are behind it
Well put and spot on

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:13 pm

Come off it Cricketfield how the hell can they say it works without rigorous testing. It is one thing to stick something into someone like a "vaccine" and show that it is safe which seems to be the case here. Those people who have had the vaccine have not died or become ill. So yep it is safe. What titre of antibodies have been produced? how long do the antibodies persist? Does their vaccine also produce a T cell response? AND DOES IT PROTECT YOU AGAINST INFECTION.
if it is like measles where it is over 90% effective and life long yippee. If it is like flu which is short lived and protects about 60% then so far so good but if they have been doing studies in humans fo just 2 months they cannot know yet that it prevents infection with Covid-19. Our own Oxford team were one of the first to develop "a vaccine" and it produces an antibody response but trials are on going to see if it prevents infection.
So I would say the Jury has to be out on this for now until there is more evidence of the jabs efficacy.
For a country with so few cases apparently it will de difficult to show it is effective by studies just in Russia. It would need trialing in Brazil of USA where there are lots of cases.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:15 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:13 pm
Come off it Cricketfield how the hell can they say it works without rigorous testing. It is one thing to stick something into someone like a "vaccine" and show that it is safe which seems to be the case here. Those people who have had the vaccine have not died or become ill. So yep it is safe. What titre of antibodies have been produced? how long do the antibodies persist? Does their vaccine also produce a T cell response? AND DOES IT PROTECT YOU AGAINST INFECTION.
if it is like measles where it is over 90% effective and life long yippee. If it is like flu which is short lived and protects about 60% then so far so good but if they have been doing studies in humans fo just 2 months they cannot know yet that it prevents infection with Covid-19. Our own Oxford team were one of the first to develop "a vaccine" and it produces an antibody response but trials are on going to see if it prevents infection.
So I would say the Jury has to be out on this for now until there is more evidence of the jabs efficacy.
For a country with so few cases apparently it will de difficult to show it is effective by studies just in Russia. It would need trialing in Brazil of USA where there are lots of cases.
Don’t disagree with a lot of that. I’m not saying it’s the silver bullet.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:22 pm

At this juncture a brass one wouldn't be too bad.
The UK has a medical journal The Quarterly Journal of Medicine and there are regular articles published from researchers in China and whilst I stand to be corrected I do not recall seeing anything from workers in Russia-now that may be because the Russians do not wish to publish papers in the West but I will await a peer reviewed paper on this new vaccine published in something like the Lancet or the New England Journal of Medicine as this is where such an advance would find space.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Buxtonclaret

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:04 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:22 pm
At this juncture a brass one wouldn't be too bad.
The UK has a medical journal The Quarterly Journal of Medicine and there are regular articles published from researchers in China and whilst I stand to be corrected I do not recall seeing anything from workers in Russia-now that may be because the Russians do not wish to publish papers in the West but I will await a peer reviewed paper on this new vaccine published in something like the Lancet or the New England Journal of Medicine as this is where such an advance would find space.
I'll just stick with you mdd2, just keep me in the loop. All well so far!

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:08 am

If the Russians have developed a vaccine, and it works, it will be a clear sign that they instigated this whole fiasco in the first place. The Salisbury poisonings were a clear sign of their willingness to cause worldwide mayhem.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:34 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53429506

16th July: Russia accused of hacking our coronavirus research

12th August: Russia announce successful vaccine.

Maybe they were breaking into our research facilities to give us the results of their successful research rather than trying to steal our less impressive results?

mikeS

Post by mikeS » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 am

Putins great record.
Russia kicked out of the G8.
Widespread Drugs cheating in Russian athletics.
The Annexation of the Crimea
Shooting down of A Dutch airliner
Continued fighting on the disputes with Ukraine
Radioactive polonium used to murder Litvinenko in London
Targeted assassinations of the Skripals in Salisbury using a the worlds deadliest nerve agent that killed innocent People.
Putins a little *******.

get stuck in tracy
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by get stuck in tracy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 am

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 pm
Fantastic news.

What pi$$es me off about politics is that becaue this is Russia (And same for China) it will be heavily criticised and told to avoid.

If they have come up with a safe, proven treatment why cant 'The West' acknowledge this and work with them? Its the same in Politics, The Tories can come up with excellent solutions and labour and its supporters wont accept it And vice versa.

Hopefuly this is the start of some excellent news re vaccines.

get stuck in tracy
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by get stuck in tracy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:01 am

Lucy Worsley is sat down already with her next project "Russia's biggest fibs"

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by HahaYeah » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:20 am

Putin Bad.

Guppyspotter
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Guppyspotter » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:55 pm

mikeS wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:20 pm
This From the same guy who sanctioned the use of Novochok nerve agent on the streets of Salisbury and Polonium In the murder of Litvinenko. No thanks and it’s not had any rigorous testing done beyond 40 Russians.
Well they didn't have too much trouble with false promises of effectiveness there so they do sometimes get things right.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:51 pm

I think I’d rather OD on Senokot before taking a Russian vaccine.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Pfizer and Germany now saying theirs work and could be rolled out in autumn. Oxford also looking promising.

Looks like the Russians have sped things up 8-)

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Important as it is to get a vaccine into the community there is little point if we do not know whether it prevents or reduces infections. An ineffective vaccine will risk more infections by the vaccinated folk believing they are immune and so doing what we all want to do in getting out and about but they could then start spreading the virus more and going down with clinical infections and some deaths.
I think when there are claims that the vaccine works, it is that it induces an antibody response, to show it works in reducing infection would now need flying the vaccine to Africa, the States and Brazil and showing a reduction in infections in those vaccinated compared with those not vaccinated or and doubtful ethically getting vaccinated human "volunteers" to agree to attempts to infect them with Covid. The Chinese and Ruskis may be able to get volunteers but not many other places.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:17 am

There appears to be some disquiet amongst the Medical and Scientific community in Russia about the vaccine.

Russia's leading respiratory doctor has quit over 'gross violations' of medical ethics that rushed through Putin's coronavirus 'vaccine'.

Professor Alexander Chuchalin quit the Russian health ministry's ethics council after making a fierce attack on the new Sputnik V drug ahead of the body approving its registration.
It appears that Chuchalin sought and failed to block its registration on 'safety' grounds before quitting the ethics council.He specifically accused the two leading medics involved in its development of flouting medical ethics in rushing the vaccine into production.
Dr Chuchalin named Prof Alexander Gintsburg, director of the Gamaleya Research Centre for Epidemiology and Microbiology, and Prof Sergey Borisevich, a medical colonel and Russian army's top virologist.

The two men were the leading academics behind the new 'world-beating' vaccine.

Chuchalin allegedly asked them: 'Have you passed all the necessary paths approved by Russian Federation legislation and the international scientific community? Not!

'This job has not been done. Thus, one of the ethical principles of medicine has been grossly violated - to do no harm.'

He stressed: 'I am depressed by the position of some of our scientists who make irresponsible statements about ready-made vaccines.'

Although specific reasons for his resignation were not given, in an interview with journal Nauka i Zhizn (Science and Life) shortly before he quit, Chuchalin warned: 'In the case of a drug or vaccine, we, as ethical reviewers, would like to understand, first of all, how safe it is for humans.

'Safety always comes first. How to evaluate it? The vaccines that are being created today have never been used in humans, and we cannot predict how a person will tolerate it.
Chucalin, who created the Russian Research Institute of Pulmonology, and is head of the Department of Hospital Therapy, at the Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, added: 'It is impossible to determine this without weighing all the scientific facts.
There appears to be some disquiet in the Russiam medical profession which is hardly surprising
There appears to be some disquiet amongst the Russian Medical and Scientific community about the vaccine.

'Therefore, our number one task is to extract scientific data based on evidence-based medicine in order to understand that the action performed by scientists will not harm a person.'

Chuchalin said it is vital to know 'the effect of the vaccine in the longer term', adding that 'the fact is that there are a number of biological substances that do not manifest themselves immediately, but only after a year or two.'

With Russia also preparing other vaccines to tackle Covid-19, he warned: 'Those vaccines that are now being developed by many of our research centres, the criteria for their safety can only be of a short-term nature.

'But the safety criteria for a vaccine must also be long-term and this becomes clear only with long-term observation - at least two years.'

And one of Russia's leading virologists has even warned that the vaccine could increase the spread of Covid-19.

In a separate attack on the vaccine, Prof Alexander Chepurnov said the 'danger exists' of 'increasing the disease with the wrong design of the vaccine'.

Chepurnov is former head of the laboratory for specially hazardous diseases at Vector Institute in Siberia which is also involved in developing vaccines for coronavirus.

He warned: 'Time is needed….antibodies are different. In some situations - and for coronavirus, this is already known - the infection intensifies with some antibodies. It should be known which antibodies the vaccine produces.'

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:26 am

in other news

The Phillipines are going to start using the russian vaccine

https://www.ft.com/content/1c48d1d4-548 ... c8017a4f49

Germany expect to have one very soon. In the coming months and definitely before next year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 67991.html

15,000 have trialled UAE's vaccine in less than a month

https://gulfnews.com/uae/uae-15000-volu ... 7308028692

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:06 am

CF that looks as if the vaccine is being used in clinical trials to assess the efficacy of it.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:24 am

Even if one vaccine is ready it certainly won't mean that alone will be rolled out to the rest of the world. Many more months of trials for the others will still be required to take place.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:46 pm