Cllr. Tom Porter RIP ....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:38 pm

This morning, I heard of the passing of my good friend, Tom Porter, aged 66. Whilst not unexpected, it was extremely sad news as he'd been battling hard against Cancer since late last year. He was an occasional poster on here, using the soubriquet, " Iluvmywife " ....

Tom was a Senior Draughtsman, who'd worked for FortVale, ROF, and a number of other local companies in his working life, before setting up a partnership providing services on an outsourcing basis. Some might remember him from local rally driving circles, his Committe work at Lowerhouse CC, his support of the " Clarets " or for his fantastic work as a local Councillor for Whittlefield & Ightenhill between 2010 - 2018. Whilst nominally a Lib-Dem, he was hardly a " sandal wearing beardy " and his commitment, hard work and concern for his residents won him friends across all the political parties in Burnley.

He was a convivial host and a charming and generous friend, who brought colour and laughter into your life. In normal times, each Saturday he would cheerfully place his regular £3 " Burnley to win/Blackburn to lose " double at William Hills, and I still remember his glee at collecting nearly £100, on the opening day of the 2017-18 season, after our 2-3 win at Chelsea ....

He leaves his lovely wife, Debbie and three daughters, Sarah, Abigail and Catherine and their families. Our thoughts, love and prayers are with them all ... Rest in Peace, old friend !

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Cllr. Tom Porter RIP ....

Post by tim_noone » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Sorry to hear that news chris I really am...
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:50 pm

RIP Tom. Remember running the Oldham 10k with him many years ago.

Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:06 pm

R.I.P. Tom, not seen him for a while but a bloke who i liked and have had a few pints with in the dim and distant past.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:24 pm

Sad news. Rest in Peace Tom.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:42 am

Didn't know of him Clarets4me but just posting to say that your piece was lovely. My condolences to the family and friends of Tom who will leave us worse off than when he was with us judging by your post Clarets4me.

burnleybonzo
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by burnleybonzo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:50 am

Sterling words Clarets4me. Tom was a long time friend of mine and his passing leaves a big hole in the lives of his family and friends. A great character, once you had met Tom you tended to remember him....

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:59 am

Clarets4me wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:38 pm
This morning, I heard of the passing of my good friend, Tom Porter, aged 66. Whilst not unexpected, it was extremely sad news as he'd been battling hard against Cancer since late last year. He was an occasional poster on here, using the soubriquet, " Iluvmywife " ....

Tom was a Senior Draughtsman, who'd worked for FortVale, ROF, and a number of other local companies in his working life, before setting up a partnership providing services on an outsourcing basis. Some might remember him from local rally driving circles, his Committe work at Lowerhouse CC, his support of the " Clarets " or for his fantastic work as a local Councillor for Whittlefield & Ightenhill between 2010 - 2018. Whilst nominally a Lib-Dem, he was hardly a " sandal wearing beardy " and his commitment, hard work and concern for his residents won him friends across all the political parties in Burnley.

He was a convivial host and a charming and generous friend, who brought colour and laughter into your life. In normal times, each Saturday he would cheerfully place his regular £3 " Burnley to win/Blackburn to lose " double at William Hills, and I still remember his glee at collecting nearly £100, on the opening day of the 2017-18 season, after our 2-3 win at Chelsea ....

He leaves his lovely wife, Debbie and three daughters, Sarah, Abigail and Catherine and their families. Our thoughts, love and prayers are with them all ... Rest in Peace, old friend !
Thats a lovely tribute/obituary to your friend Clarets4me....RIP Tom.
This user liked this post: mdd2

Claretpete
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Claretpete » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:18 am

R.I.P. Tom.
So sad to hear of his passing, I knew Tom from the late 1960's, in more recent times I occasionally enjoyed a pint with him in either the Bridge or the Queen at Cliviger.
My Sincerer condolences go out to his wife and family.

Smashing tribute from Clarets4me.

The Quattro
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by The Quattro » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:34 am

Worked alongside Tom in a previous role. He was vocal and passionate about his ward and always wanted the best for his area. An absolute pleasure to work with. My thoughts are with his loved ones.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Many thanks for your comments, and I know that others who post on here have been in touch directly with Tom's family over the last few days. Debbie and the girls have been really touched by the many cards and letters they've received ... to illustrate the sort of man he was, I'd just like to share a couple of memories of Tom ..

Despite be housebound for the last three months, he insisted on paying his membership to Lowerhouse CC, I suspect in the full knowledge that it was highly unlikely he'd ever be able to get down to Liverpool Road again ...
Tom had no time for " small minded " people, and when Alan Hosker was first elected as a UKIP Councillor, there were some Councillors who snubbed him and frankly, tried to put obstacles in his way. Although a Lib-Dem, Tom actively sought Alan out, showing him the ropes and explaining procedures and advising on who to contact to get Trees cut back, paths repaired etc ...

On a personal note, Tom and Debbie showed great friendship to the two gents with severe learning disabilities, for whom Mrs Clarets4me and I act as full-time carers & who share our home. Tom had a fantastic sense of humour, and a couple of years ago, the six of us were out for a birthday lunch. Tom 's starter was bigger than expected and he'd had only a few mouthfuls of his main course of steak and chips, when he leant over to one of our gents and said, " I won't eat all these, pal, do you want some ? ". The lad picked up the whole bowl and plonked them on his own plate !! We were about to admonish him, but a smiling Tom gestured to us " Leave it, it's fine " . As we stifled our giggles, our lad started devouring " Tom's chips " ..... after about 30 seconds, the silence was broken by Tom, " Do you know, I think I will have a look at the Dessert menu after all !! " :lol: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: mdd2 burnleybonzo