Macc relegated

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Macc relegated

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:10 pm

Stevenage survive.
EFL win appeal to increase points penalty.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Re: Macc relegated

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:12 pm

Stevenage back in is the bad news there

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:12 pm
Stevenage back in is the bad news there
Unsurprisingly CT I disagree and I'm not sure what your beef with Stevenage is to be honest unless i've missed something?.

Stevenage have been the worst team in League Two by a distance and would deserve relegation normally, but! Macclesfield have been the worst Club, guilty of the same offence of not paying players on at least 4 occasions in one season. One would have thought each successive occasion would have attracted increasing punishments but that didn't happen, the EFL having been culpable in the whole Bury fiasco last year couldn't be seen to be making the same mistakes again. Remember this appeal was from the EFL not Stevenage F.C.

Finding the 13 hour round trip to Burnley games increasingly difficult these days Stevenage remaining in the league is good news for me.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am

And yet Sheffield Wednesday survive immediate sanction ?

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am
This is the bit I don't understand!

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm
This is the bit I don't understand!
I would imagine its easier to give bad news to a club the size of Macclesfield, than one the size of Sheffield Wednesday...

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:05 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am
Macclesfield’s was an appeal against a penalty during last season. The points penalty for Sheffield Wednesday came after last season was concluded.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:05 pm
Macclesfield’s was an appeal against a penalty during last season. The points penalty for Sheffield Wednesday came after last season was concluded.
Yes and so there would have been no relegation or otherwise adverse affect on Sheffield Wednesday.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 pm
Yes and so there would have been no relegation or otherwise adverse affect on Sheffield Wednesday.
They are very lucky to get away with it but you can’t deduct points once a season has already concluded.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:13 pm

Hasnt the controversy around Sheff Weds been the delay in dealing with things ? i.e. ensuring sanctions were delayed until the season concluded ?

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:13 pm
Hasnt the controversy around Sheff Weds been the delay in dealing with things ? i.e. ensuring sanctions were delayed until the season concluded ?
That's how I understood it.
Weds have been very fortunate.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7195 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:50 pm

aclaretinstevenage wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:28 pm
Unsurprisingly CT I disagree and I'm not sure what your beef with Stevenage is to be honest unless i've missed something?.

Stevenage have been the worst team in League Two by a distance and would deserve relegation normally, but! Macclesfield have been the worst Club, guilty of the same offence of not paying players on at least 4 occasions in one season. One would have thought each successive occasion would have attracted increasing punishments but that didn't happen, the EFL having been culpable in the whole Bury fiasco last year couldn't be seen to be making the same mistakes again. Remember this appeal was from the EFL not Stevenage F.C.

Finding the 13 hour round trip to Burnley games increasingly difficult these days Stevenage remaining in the league is good news for me.
I used to live in Stevenage [used to teach at Collenswood], and despite enjoying my time in the town, I wanted Stevenage out.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:50 pm
I used to live in Stevenage [used to teach at Collenswood], and despite enjoying my time in the town, I wanted Stevenage out.
The name Graham Westley gets in my head when I think of Stevenage. They even had him back as manager last season.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3795 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 pm
With a 12 point deduction imposed before the end of the season they would have been relegated. Very convenient that the decision wasn't made until after the end of the season even though the case had been ongoing for ages!

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:51 pm
The name Graham Westley gets in my head when I think of Stevenage. They even had him back as manager last season.
i saw them play Bradford last August at home on a visit linked to youth football and they were managed at the time by Dino Maamria who previously had been with BFC, though never made a first team appearance. Stevenage were dreadful and Bradford not much better and Maamria was dismissed shortly afterwards. Didn't fare much better at Oldham and has been sacked again recently.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7195 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:26 pm

I only spent a couple of school terms in Stevenage in 1983/84, then moved to the London Borough of Brent in fair Neasden. Never saw Boro play. But I did watch Walthamstow Avenue v Slough Town that season. That was on a Saturday and the day after I went to the Millwall v Burnley game,

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm
i saw them play Bradford last August at home on a visit linked to youth football and they were managed at the time by Dino Maamria who previously had been with BFC, though never made a first team appearance. Stevenage were dreadful and Bradford not much better and Maamria was dismissed shortly afterwards. Didn't fare much better at Oldham and has been sacked again recently.
I can never remember Dino as a player at Burnley but I recall him working for the Community some years ago. He gave it up to go and work with Westley at Stevenage.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 pm

I think he may have been with the community around or shortly after Dean Ramsdale and John Lister were there.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 pm
I think he may have been with the community around or shortly after Dean Ramsdale and John Lister were there.
Dino definitely worked for Dean

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times

Post by BenWickes » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:29 pm

I don't know the in's and out's of all this but seems strange they're a lot more eager to punish the little clubs (Macc, Wigan, Bury, Charlton) who can't afford the costs of litigation. Yet let clubs off more leniently if they have the potential to take legal action?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3158 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:28 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:29 pm
I don't know the in's and out's of all this but seems strange they're a lot more eager to punish the little clubs (Macc, Wigan, Bury, Charlton) who can't afford the costs of litigation. Yet let clubs off more leniently if they have the potential to take legal action?
Pretty much the view of Maccs Supporters Trust who are fearing the worst for their club - from the Guardian

Macclesfield Town fans fear for future and blame EFL for relegation
- Club drop out of Football League after points deduction
- Supporters’ Trust says EFL unfairly treated club

Paul Wilson- Wed 12 Aug 2020 17.41 BSTLast modified on Wed 12 Aug 2020 17.42 BST

Macclesfield Town will be competing in the National League next season after they were relegated following an EFL appeal. Photograph: Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images
Macclesfield Town supporters fear the club will not survive dropping out of the league after an EFL appeal enforced a further points deduction on Tuesday, and believe their perennially cash-strapped operation has been the victim of a witch-hunt by the football authorities.

The Silkmen finished next to bottom of League Two after fixtures were suspended and a points per game ratio worked out, with Stevenage at that point heading for the National League. The EFL, however, was dissatisfied with a 13-point deduction over a Macclesfield season blighted by winding-up petitions, non-payment of wages, player strikes and unfulfilled fixtures, and when an independent appeal ruled this week that a further suspended deduction of four points should be invoked Stevenage were reprieved as Macclesfield’s new points per game figure left them bottom.

This is the latest twist in a long-running saga of ineffective ownership – even the club chairman, Amar Alkadhi, admitted a while ago that Macclesfield deserved to be sanctioned because “paying wages late is not right” – though at that time it was not thought relegation would be the ultimate sanction. One Macclesfield supporter whose worst fears have just come to pass, Andy Worth, who chairs the Silkmen Supporters’ Trust, wrote to the Football League last month expressing his concerns over what was about to happen.

“The last few weeks have seen a publicly orchestrated campaign by the EFL to get Macclesfield relegated, and action the EFL well knows will obliterate the club,” Worth said. “It is the SST view that the EFL are inconsistent in their decisions, to say the least. Stevenage escaped a points deduction regarding the postponement of a game against Oldham, and Bolton missed two games without any points deduction. We feel that miscreant owners should be punished, rather than clubs, and it is also our view that the EFL decision to appeal amounted to a witch-hunt towards Macclesfield Town.”

Following confirmation of Macclesfield’s relegation the head coach, Mark Kennedy, and his assistant, Danny Butterfield, effectively resigned, indicating they did not wish to sign new contracts for next season, although many supporters were of the opinion they should have gone by now due to poor results. In theory the club’s finances should be boosted by EFL parachute payments next season, which should permit a degree of stability, and some fans are even looking forward to meeting old rivals Stockport and Altrincham in the National League.

Most are sceptical that Alkadhi has the ability or the desire to turn the club around, however, and imagine Macclesfield’s well-publicised financial difficulties will continue in any division under present ownership. Alkadhi stepped down from his position as chairman earlier this month but remains Macclesfield’s majority shareholder until he can sell his stake in the club.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:05 pm
The real stinker with Sheffield Wednesday (and Derby for whom we are still to hear the result of their hearing held in the last week or two) is that charges were levelled against them in the late autumn of last season - charges applied so early in the season really should have the punishment applied to them within that season - is is a poor organisation that allows such things to rumble on so long even with Covid.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:32 pm
The real stinker with Sheffield Wednesday (and Derby for whom we are still to hear the result of their hearing held in the last week or two) is that charges were levelled against them in the late autumn of last season - charges applied so early in the season really should have the punishment applied to them within that season - is is a poor organisation that allows such things to rumble on so long even with Covid.
Ludicrous that it took so long but once it had the points had to come off next season.

aclaretinstevenage

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:27 pm

It is always the supporters who suffer when things go wrong under poor owners and there is genuine sympathy for Silkmen fans in this and the letter from Andy Worth highlights that, however the Stevenage game v Oldham was postponed with EFL approval due to international call ups. It became an issue when the recently sacked Dino Maamria by then in charge at Oldham suggested that only 3 nit 4 Stevenage players made the final squads for their countries. This was investigated and no sanction imposed. Maamria then rekindled a racism claim against Mark Sampson then in charge at Stevenage again that case failed. Macclesfield's games were not played because players were on strike over non payment of wages so rather more serious. They have had an HMRC winding up order postponed 11(eleven) times and that is yet to be heard. Is it not the case that the great Sol Campbell is still claiming £180,000 in unpaid wages against them? I don't believe there had been a witch hunt but the EFL could not afford another Bury scenario, the 4 points suspended by the June commission was only suspended because it might have meant Macclesfield being relegated, that being the case as the Stevenage chairman said today, " if a sanction does not have consequences what is the point of the sanction in the first place". To suspend the 4 points until next season was wrong, that has now been corrected.

theboydonegood
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by theboydonegood » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Apparently Derby have taken a mortgage out on the ground they "sold" a while ago. Lmao

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:09 pm

theboydonegood wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:38 pm
Apparently Derby have taken a mortgage out on the ground they "sold" a while ago. Lmao
not the ground loads of other stuff though

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20891&start=4894

aclaretinstevenage

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 pm

https://t.co/J2btOmiuHA?amp=1

Official Record of EFL Appeal against June Disciplinary Commission verdict regarding Macclesfield.

91 offences in one season, take an EFL Loan to pay staff and then short change the staff. Little wonder the EFL won the appeal.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:09 pm

aclaretinstevenage wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 pm
https://t.co/J2btOmiuHA?amp=1

Official Record of EFL Appeal against June Disciplinary Commission verdict regarding Macclesfield.

91 offences in one season, take an EFL Loan to pay staff and then short change the staff. Little wonder the EFL won the appeal.
I still find it strange that the league take action against clubs and then have to appeal when the verdict doesn't go their way. Reading that, it has to have been the correct decision.
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:13 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:09 pm
Reading that, it has to have been the correct decision.
I remember a great night at Reading!

:D