Natural disaster along the South coast of Mauritius due to wreckage of a Japanese ship .

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Natural disaster along the South coast of Mauritius due to wreckage of a Japanese ship .

Post by davemanu2000 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:29 pm

M V wakizashi is a Japanese ship .It carried oil from China to Brazil .unexplicably the ship came nearer the coast and got stuck in the barrier reef .Despite assistance from France ,South Africa and other neighbouring countries which sent heavy equipment , it was impossible to bring the ship to safety zone .
During the first two weeks ,there was no leakage and the waters of Mauritius as usual was clear as chrystal . Suddenly because of big waves the body of the ship got fizzled and oil started to spill the sea .Every effort was made to remedy the situation . some ships from neighbouring countries accosted Wakashio and tried to pump the oil .Only 25% of pumping was successfully done . The ship started breaking gradually and gushs of oil poured out devastatingly and control was out of order .
Many Mauritian volunteers came for rescue and to reduce damage .They collected the oil bordering the shore in whatever materials available to them .the spirit of voluntarism was awakened and the majority ofthe population came to its rescue .this showed the love they have for their georgeous beaches .
According to the latest report only the south-east coast has been affected .This will cause immense hardship to hotels found in the area . luckily there are not too many hotels in the affected area .At least the east ,north and west where the number of hotels abound are in safe zone .
This is an unpreceedented case . Mauritius is not prepared to deal with such environmental disaster . Not only a number of hotels are adversely affected but also the professional fishermen who live with this trade .
the Japanese Pm has presented its apology but I think that Mauritius has to be richly compensated ,We wonder how long it will take the sea to reach normalcy .

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Re: Natural disaster along the South coast of Mauritius due to wreckage of a Japanese ship .

Post by spadesclaret » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 pm

This is a terrible thing to have happened to such a beautiful place and people.
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

davemanu2000

Re: Natural disaster along the South coast of Mauritius due to wreckage of a Japanese ship .

Post by davemanu2000 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:14 pm

I mean environmental disaster.

davemanu2000

Post by davemanu2000 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:38 pm

The vessel was carrying 4100 metric tons of heavy oil . Thanks to the courtesy of countries like France ,England ,India ,China ,Japan , Australia and others 3100 metric tons have been pumped out ,800 metric tons were spilled in the sea due to the burst of one container .A few hundred metric tons remain to be pumped out .
The experts from United Nations are already present to tender all timely advice .i strongly believe that environmental disaster can be avoided.We have to thank all foreign countries which have tendered their timely and worthwhile assistance .

ALP
Been Liked: 1466 times
Has Liked: 388 times

Post by ALP » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Let's hope and pray that the environment isn't too badly damaged Dave, and that Mother Nature helps the recovery as was the case off the Shetland Isles a number of years ago.

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Good to hear that so much of the oil has been pumped out, and hoping that a truly dreadful environmental disaster can be avoided. Watching the news over here, I was very impressed by the way the people of Mauritius rallied round to do all they could.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:08 pm

That is much better news than I’d heard previously. So pleased things are looking brighter.
The captain of the vessel needs keel-hauling.

davemanu2000

Post by davemanu2000 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:10 am

Yesterday my wife and I had a stroll to one village called Trou D'Eau Doce in whose vicinity is located ILE AUX CERFS (DEAR ISLAND).It is a wonderful islet and a must to visit by tourists .inside is a golf course where one of our football directors ,Mr Nelson,visited and played golf .it is safe and fishermen who had set sail early in the morning returned with a load of fish .
no worry for all hotels found in the east (where I Live) ,North and west .
The govt is taking some more time to open our air port and harbours but only to some limited countries .All foreigners are again tested and if free they can enter the territory of Mauritius and enjoy their vacations .Those who are tested positive are sent on quarantine and treated until they are totally cured .Now it is not imperative to wear masks in public areas and streets .