Cancel Culture ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Re: Cancel Culture ?

Post by dsr » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:28 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:14 pm
Yes prior to 1998 there was zero hours contract but it was often abused by employers to not pay employees for quiet periods even if the employees had to stay onsite in case they got busy

As part of the Minimum Wage Act Labour added a protection around this unscrupulous practice which required the employer to pay the employee the minimum wage for all the time the employer required them to be at the work place even if it was quiet and there was no work to do

Whatever the rights and wrongs are of zero hours contracts over the years I would say that the 1998 change that Labour made which Sid likes to bang his drum about was a sensible and good one and one which protected the working man/woman
Agreed.

The problem with zero hours contracts so far as I can see is that social services, so rumour has it, have been treating them as actual job offers and withdrawing benefits from people who turn them down. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, it's outrageous and wrong. Zero hours contracts ought to be linked into the benefits system in a fair way, details of how that will work I don't know, but in a way that people can work if work is available but still get benefits as a "top up".

As a job for a main household earner who needs regular income, they are of course useless, just as casual labour always has been.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:19 pm
It was poorly thought out though, as usual when any government does something.
Hence the changes to it over the years to ensure zero hour contract workers have more protection and rights.

That's why I bang the drum, the idea was sound in principle but **** poor planning meant it wasn't very good in practice but as per usual Labour supporters can't see that so you'll all spend time whinging about me pointing the issues out.
What was poorly thought out? The 1996 Employments Rights Act, the 1998 Minimum Wage Act, the 1999 National Minimum Wage Regulations or the contract law around casual work that pre-dated all of the above?

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3194 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:39 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:12 pm
The Guardian ran with this this morning https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... el-culture
I hadnt realized that the Beeb had covered it too. The Guardian (and BBC), IMO, are big exponents of "cancel culture" so I was pleasantly surprised they ran this. I've never really followed Nick Cave's life/opinions before though he's written some absolutely blinding songs (Into My Arms, Ship Song, Mercy Seat etc). I'm impressed by his bravery and honesty coming out with this statement.

"Cancel Culture" is pretty widespread lately and I see it as a form of fascism (though most current exponents tend to be left wing); It's pretty prevalent amongst luvvies (as weve seen in the J K Rowling rows lately) so a respected songwriter performer condemning it is great news.

From the Guardian piece: “Political correctness has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world,” he wrote. “Its once honourable attempt to reimagine our society in a more equitable way now embodies all the worst aspects that religion has to offer (and none of the beauty) – moral certainty and self-righteousness shorn even of the capacity for redemption.”He added that cancel culture’s refusal to engage with uncomfortable ideas had an asphyxiating effect on the creative soul of a society, and that creativity could knock at foundational beliefs and in doing so generate fresh ways of seeing the world.

Well said that man.
INDEED!

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:47 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:11 pm
What are you talking about? Professor Gopol received death threats, and calls for her to be sacked, all because some people were too stupid to understand her tweet (and because some media sources didn’t quote the entire thing). Here’s a link in which she explains herself:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ge-support

You’re against what you call cancel culture, but don’t seem to mind when it’s aimed at an Indian woman living here. Which professors have lost their jobs here? Starkey? If he said nothing wrong, why did he apologise for it?
What are you talking about?

Priyamvada Gopal an Indian born lecturer at Cambridge university who chose to make her life here instead of her native india, first reveals her true feelings by a tweet tweet saying that "white lives don't matter. As white lives." The next one reveals a news article quoting Gopal saying: "'we should abolish whiteness' and the Cambridge Professor Says She Resists "Urges to Kneecap White Men Everyday.'"

Now she's allowed the Lefts, special , Get out of jail free, card. Presumably, because she's on your side .

The clear unadulterated racism she spews is excused.

But when it came to equivalent academics simply quoting, word for word, Martin Luther King, your pack of left wing hyenas were calling for him to lose his livelihood.

Hypocrisy, hypocrisy, hypocrisy.

AKA pernicious creeping Cultural Marxism.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:48 pm

The Left -

Claim.to LOVE diversity.

Yet, HATE diversity of opinion.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:56 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:53 pm
You're very critical of the working conditions faced by employees of Mike Ashley's businesses. May I ask, do you shop at Sports Direct?
The thread is "Cancel culture "

I posted that the Left refuse to admit it even existed.

Andrew JB drops in a totally irrelevant post about the government's handling of examinations and its effects on white working class boys. I answer.

Now you join in with, perhaps, even more utterly off at an irrelevant tangent , answer avoiding nonsense with s question about zero hours contracts and shopping in Spoets Direct.

But I'll answer.

No. I dont.

My turn. For you and AndrewJB.

Irish Antifa leader Pat Corcoran. Pat is a convicted pedophile being caught with over 7,000 pictures of sexually abused children on his computer. He was initially expelled from Antifa but they apparently decided that images of child abuse isn't a disqualifier.

Your thoughts?

Shhhhhhhh.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:05 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:48 pm
The Left -

Claim.to LOVE diversity.

Yet, HATE diversity of opinion.
Who are the left you speak of but a few high spirited school boys and failed resentful adults fighting an invisible war against common sense and reality. The left do not deserve the name they claim to fall under a name that is recognised as a counter argument. These childish meddling trolls can only be addressed as such. And reality always bites back and common sense will always prevail.

Bfc boyo 2020

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:19 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:05 am
Who are the left you speak of
They infest academia, the police, the judiciary, the MSM, education, the public sector, the political class, social services, the BBC, the arts, the NHS.

The British people elect a conservative government with a large "C". Yet cultural Marxism now curcumvents the ballot box. However, the truth will out. The People are turning their backs on the likes of the BBC, Peston and their cabal.

Underestimate the wisdom of the british people at your peril.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:22 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:56 pm
The thread is "Cancel culture "

I posted that the Left refuse to admit it even existed.

Andrew JB drops in a totally irrelevant post about the government's handling of examinations and its effects on white working class boys. I answer.

Now you join in with, perhaps, even more utterly off at an irrelevant tangent , answer avoiding nonsense with s question about zero hours contracts and shopping in Spoets Direct.

But I'll answer.

No. I dont.

My turn. For you and AndrewJB.

Irish Antifa leader Pat Corcoran. Pat is a convicted pedophile being caught with over 7,000 pictures of sexually abused children on his computer. He was initially expelled from Antifa but they apparently decided that images of child abuse isn't a disqualifier.

Your thoughts?

Shhhhhhhh.
You don't shop at Sports Direct because you oppose Mike Ashley's ethics, presumably. Isn't that "cancel culture"?

As for Antifa? Where do I find that Alan Partridge shrugging gif?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:22 am
You don't shop at Sports Direct because you oppose Mike Ashley's ethics, presumably. Isn't that "cancel culture"?

As for Antifa? Where do I find that Alan Partridge shrugging gif?
I dont shop at sports direct as the Tracky Bottoms or Hoody on a BMX with No Lights, look isn't my thing.

Instead of looking for "shrugging gifs" you could condemn. But then again, on current form, as long as their on your side, all is , apparently, forgiven.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3768 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:46 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 am
I dont shop at sports direct as the Tracky Bottoms or Hoody on a BMX with No Lights, look isn't my thing.

Instead of looking for "shrugging gifs" you could condemn. But then again, on current form, as long as their on your side, all is , apparently, forgiven.
I haven’t seen you condemn him either so I have to assume you support him.

It’s a poor do though when you’re asking people to condemn human traffickers and peadophiles. Has it really got to the stage where people actually have to say these things or be seen as supportive. Isn’t that the definition of virtue signallers.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:55 am

Video currently on the front page of reddit, American man refusing to wear mask in what looks to be a large clothes shop, antagonising employees, calling one of the staff "faggot" multiple times, eventually pulls his penis out from his trousers for some reason (I'm not making this up), all because the staff asked him to wear a mask. I'm all for free speech and I think stupid people with stupid ideas should have the platform to demonstrate their stupidity, if for no other reason than for them to be visibly ignored by everyone else, but let's consider a scenario in which penis-man or anyone else in a similar situation - including antagonists who manage to keep their knob in their pants - is fired from their job after such a video circulates online. If this man hypothetically loses his job for the damage he might have inflicted on his employer's reputation, is this acceptable, or is this cancel culture run amok? At what point does his public behaviour force his employer's hand? Is it the general antagonism, is it the homophobic slur, or is it the penis being whipped out? Is there a line drawn between sackable and not-sackable, and if so, can we define it, please? Who is to blame if he's sacked? The mob, the employer, or himself? Why should the mob oblige arseholes? Surely the mob is free to choose, free to boycott. And surely in such a situation an employer would take measures to protect the integrity and reputation of his/her business. Perhaps folks need to learn to take a little bit of responsibility for their words and actions.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:00 am

martin_p wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:46 am
I haven’t seen you condemn him either so I have to assume you support him.

It’s a poor do though when you’re asking people to condemn human traffickers and peadophiles. Has it really got to the stage where people actually have to say these things or be seen as supportive. Isn’t that the definition of virtue signallers.
Mike Ashley is a ****.

That do you?

I went off at a tangent to make a point.

The thread was about cancel culture which is symptomatic of the pervasive cultural Marxism that invests every echelon of public life.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:04 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:00 am
...cultural Marxism...
You're insistent on using antisemitic rhetoric. Why?
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile Swizzlestick

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:08 am

Neil Oliver is a Scottish television presenter, freelance archaeologist, conservationist, and author.

He'll , probably be on Talkradio tomorrow around 11am

He's a brilliant open minded thinker and what he says about the cancerous, pernicious Marxist cancel culture is fabulous unbiased, objective gold.

Tune in . If you dare come our of your echo chambers.

Doubt we'll see him on the BBC for much longer. Mind you he carries the original sin of being white and male so theres little hope for him either way.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:19 am

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:04 am
You're insistent on using antisemitic rhetoric. Why?
You appear to be unable to resist attempting to silence differing opinion by using inflammatory claims. Why?

Dont bother answering. I'll save you the inconvenience of you defaulting to your predictable position of needing to publicly preen your, self declared, intellectual superiority over those inferior lesser mortals ( every other living being ). In a grinding monologue, where you display your preferred technique of "why bother only using 10 words, when a 100 will be more than adequate"

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:41 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:19 am
You appear to be unable to resist attempting to silence differing opinion by using inflammatory claims. Why?

Dont bother answering. I'll save you the inconvenience of you defaulting to your predictable position of needing to publicly preen your, self declared, intellectual superiority over those inferior lesser mortals ( every other living being ). In a grinding monologue, where you display your preferred technique of "why bother only using 10 words, when a 100 will be more than adequate"
Thanks for posting. It's oftentimes more soliloquy than monologue. You're not the first person to be offended by my posts without them being directed at you...or even remotely antagonistic.

'Cultural Marxism' is an antisemitic conspiracy theory which states that Jewish scholars from the Frankfurt School (a school of social theory and philosophy) in inter-war Germany tried to advance progressive policies in order to manipulate the masses and undermine western democracy. In essence, it shifts the blame for Germany's struggles at the time onto Jews - as was a lot of folks' wont during that period - while also fabricating a mythical internal enemy. It came from the idea that the Bolshevik revolution succeeded in Russia where other similar revolutions failed to take off elsewhere in Europe because, it was argued, Russia was culturally ripe for revolution and thus, as the antisemitic conspiracy theory goes, Jews - personae non gratae to the Nazis/far right - were attempting to affect culture in order to prime Germany for revolution. So then, are you sure you want to keep using the term 'cultural Marxism'?

By the way, I'm not interested in stifling you. I'm very much in favour of getting you to flap your gums (well...hammer your keyboard) as much as possible. I've never known anyone to attempt to silence a person by asking them a question. What's your logic there?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 am

I know nothing about Antifa, nor this bloke you are on about. You said he's a convicted paedophile which means he has been tried and punished by the law of the land and that's all I really care about. If he has committed further crimes, I hope he will be charged and if found guilty, punished appropriately again.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:21 am

'Cultural Marxism' is such a ridiculous phrase that, I think, was invented by the Nazis to try to demonstrate that being a Jew was the same as being a communist. Or the other way round.

Anyone who uses the phrase needs to explain the precise nature of the culture that is equated with Marxism, and then point out the particular element of Marxist doctrine that it equates to. Otherwise, it's just a really, really silly thing to say and makes the user look rather foolish.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:41 am
Thanks for posting. It's oftentimes more soliloquy than monologue. You're not the first person to be offended by my posts without them being directed at you...or even remotely antagonistic.

'Cultural Marxism' is an antisemitic conspiracy theory which states that Jewish scholars from the Frankfurt School (a school of social theory and philosophy) in inter-war Germany tried to advance progressive policies in order to manipulate the masses and undermine western democracy. In essence, it shifts the blame for Germany's struggles at the time onto Jews - as was a lot of folks' wont during that period - while also fabricating a mythical internal enemy. It came from the idea that the Bolshevik revolution succeeded in Russia where other similar revolutions failed to take off elsewhere in Europe because, it was argued, Russia was culturally ripe for revolution and thus, as the antisemitic conspiracy theory goes, Jews - personae non gratae to the Nazis/far right - were attempting to affect culture in order to prime Germany for revolution. So then, are you sure you want to keep using the term 'cultural Marxism'?

By the way, I'm not interested in stifling you. I'm very much in favour of getting you to flap your gums (well...hammer your keyboard) as much as possible. I've never known anyone to attempt to silence a person by asking them a question. What's your logic there?
The very fact that you link the phenomenon which has been running through the judiciary, the BBC, academia, social services, education, politics for the last 30 years , to 1940s Germany. Is in itself the very technique of stifling opinion and thought, that is the very essence of Cultural Marxism. Hoist by your own petard.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am

Erasmus wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:21 am
'Cultural Marxism' is such a ridiculous phrase that, I think, was invented by the Nazis to try to demonstrate that being a Jew was the same as being a communist. Or the other way round.

Anyone who uses the phrase needs to explain the precise nature of the culture that is equated with Marxism, and then point out the particular element of Marxist doctrine that it equates to. Otherwise, it's just a really, really silly thing to say and makes the user look rather foolish.
See above.

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am

Cancel culture is really just the latest attempt to gaslight us into thinking that the real problem is lefties boycotting people for their politics and not the right who are murdering people for their religious beliefs, their race, their politics and using the likes of the police to violently attack those who express their disagreement with the way the right are running things.

When the lefties who are boycotting decide to start crucifyibg people and some ethnic cleansing give me a call and I'll agree that this is definitely as big a problem on the left as it has been historically on the right.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4265 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:41 am
The best (only?) way to silence Ringo is to ask him a question he doesn’t like.

You won’t get complete silence, of course, but I can guarantee you’ll get nothing back in respect of your question.

I’ll have a go at answering it, though. Ringo throws the anti Semitic term “cultural Marxism” around like confetti because he’s seen it used by racists who are cleverer than he is (Farage et al) so he thinks it makes him sound clever.

He doesn’t care that it shows him up as an anti-Semite (and funnily enough, neither does Rowls, who’s very concerned about anti Semitism, but only when he can use it as a stick to beat his political opponents).
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:46 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 am
I know nothing about Antifa, nor this bloke you are on about. You said he's a convicted paedophile which means he has been tried and punished by the law of the land and that's all I really care about. If he has committed further crimes, I hope he will be charged and if found guilty, punished appropriately again.
Antifa in Ireland having a convicted paedophile , John Corcoran, as its leader?

They certainly practice a unusual kind of "diversity" they preach about over there.

It's a strange kind of "punishment" being funded by far Left activists. Most right-thinking people wouldn't go near the monster with a barge pole. Yet the Far Left prop him up financially.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:51 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am
The very fact that you link the phenomenon which has been running through the judiciary, the BBC, academia, social services, education, politics for the last 30 years , to 1940s Germany. Is in itself the very technique of stifling opinion and thought, that is the very essence of Cultural Marxism. Hoist by your own petard.
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=pziwa ... ziwaXmQLjM

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:53 am

Erasmus wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:21 am

It’s pretty obvious that phrases such as ‘Cultural Marxism’ are Twitter talk lapped up by idiots who can’t think for themselves. It’s hilarious to see the lates buzzword being thrown around, usually completely out of context. See also;

Woke
Virtue Signalling
Illiberal left
MSM

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:05 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am
Cancel culture is really just the latest attempt to gaslight us into thinking that the real problem is lefties boycotting people for their politics and not the right who are murdering people for their religious beliefs, their race, their politics and using the likes of the police to violently attack those who express their disagreement with the way the right are running things.

When the lefties who are boycotting decide to start crucifyibg people and some ethnic cleansing give me a call and I'll agree that this is definitely as big a problem on the left as it has been historically on the right.
Antifa in USA are literally burning bibles.

Sound familiar?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:09 pm

You went off at a tangent first. I answered. My turn.

Your thoughts?

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:17 pm

There's already threads about the education system, zero hour contracts and terms that offend "liberals" lads. Let's not cancel the thread by trying to send it on a different tangent. We see you

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1511 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:30 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:09 pm
You went off at a tangent first. I answered. My turn.

Your thoughts?
Where does it state he’s the leader of the ‘Irish Antifa’? Care to provide a link?

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Heathclaret wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 pm
Fantastic, I hope you have many happy miles on your bike. 64D6068C-7F54-4803-BA14-C34C091EB547.jpeg

Unhappily the Benelli 900 isn’t mine, it belongs to a client of mine who was restoring it. It’s a beaut though.
Thought you might enjoy the pictures.
Ah yes, the old ‘Honda and a half‘, I’ve not seen one in years. Strangely enough, the guy I bought the GS off was selling it to fund the restoration of a Benelli Sei. It might even be that one! :D

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:05 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:46 am
Antifa in Ireland having a convicted paedophile , John Corcoran, as its leader?

They certainly practice a unusual kind of "diversity" they preach about over there.

It's a strange kind of "punishment" being funded by far Left activists. Most right-thinking people wouldn't go near the monster with a barge pole. Yet the Far Left prop him up financially.
Why are you so obsessed with what I think about Antifa?

When you say "prop him up financially" do you mean employ him? Does his job involve working with children? If not, why does being a paedophile disqualify him from doing whatever it is the leader of Antifa does?

I'm pretty sure there are lots of convicted paedophiles in employment. I'm not sure what the difference is here or what point you are trying to make.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Linking the phrase 'cultural Marxism' to its origin as an attempt to conflate Jewishness with communism is a means of demonstrating that the phrase was ridiculous and highly pernicious at its inception. It was and remains a foolish distortion.

I saw Ringo respond to my request for clarification of its meaning with the succinct response 'See above'. Did he give an explanation of what this culture is and what element of Marxist ideology it is to be equated with? Or to Ringo himself, did you give an answer to that? My advice would be that if you don't have a clear understanding of Marxism don't use the term at all.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:33 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am
Okay, I shouldn't be surprised but you're making no sense.
RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:35 am
The pair of you would have clearly benefited from listening to Neil Oliver on Talkradio a moment ago. Between 11 and 11.30 am.

A great liberal ( in the true meaning of the word not the one hijacked by Cultural Marxists like Nick Clegg ) and free thinker.
I like Neil Oliver. Some of his history/archaeology programmes are alright. He uses the term 'Maoism' to describe the wrongthink-correcting shenanigans university students and over-zealous lecturers engage in, which, while rhetorically excessive because it downplays the horrors of Mao's cultural revolution, is perhaps a better term than the antisemitic one you're apparently unrepentant about using. Davis Starkey, on the other hand, whom Oliver was defending in speaking about all this, is about as clear-cut a racist as you're likely to meet. Starkey, while a knowledgeable historian, is no social/political scientist and seems to believe that genocide is only genocide if it succeeds in wiping out a people, rather than it's actual definition of being a matter of intent. Again, to invoke the Holocaust, I think there are a few Jews who would like a word or two with him about that. Oliver might tell you all the things you want to hear, and he's a knowledgeable archaeologist, but let's not pretend he's Bertrand bloody Russell.

As Rileybobs mentioned further up the thread, most of the labels you attach to $hit you and others like you have been conditioned to be angry about is parroted twitter vocabulary (though I maintain, as Erasmus states above, that its original meaning cannot be forgotten); ideas so reductive to be tantamount to a meme, amplified by idiots who believe using language found in a glossary of political science terms gives any weight to an argument, and passed off by morons as an original thought. You think you're above the pitchfork economy. Mate, you're right in the centre of it.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

martin_p
Been Liked: 3768 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:43 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:35 am
The pair of you would have clearly benefited from listening to Neil Oliver on Talkradio a moment ago. Between 11 and 11.30 am.

A great liberal ( in the true meaning of the word not the one hijacked by Cultural Marxists like Nick Clegg ) and free thinker.
Nick Clegg ‘cultural Marxist’ :lol:

The man who enabled the biggest cuts in public services and spending in a generation! If he’s a ‘culutural Marxist’ he’s a really, really bad one :lol:

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Goodyear has been cancelled for their political views.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:37 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:24 pm
Goodyear has been cancelled for their political views.
No, no, no, it's only "cancel culture" when the Woke Left do it.

Although your post isn't quite correct, they seem to have been "cancelled" for neutrality.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Okay, I shouldn't be surprised but you're making no sense.

I like Neil Oliver. Some of his history/archaeology programmes are alright. He uses the term 'Maoism' to describe the wrongthink-correcting shenanigans university students and over-zealous lecturers engage in, which, while rhetorically excessive because it downplays the horrors of Mao's cultural revolution, is perhaps a better term than the antisemitic one you're apparently unrepentant about using. Davis Starkey, on the other hand, whom Oliver was defending in speaking about all this, is about as clear-cut a racist as you're likely to meet. Starkey, while a knowledgeable historian, is no social/political scientist and seems to believe that genocide is only genocide if it succeeds in wiping out a people, rather than it's actual definition of being a matter of intent. Again, to invoke the Holocaust, I think there are a few Jews who would like a word or two with him about that. Oliver might tell you all the things you want to hear, and he's a knowledgeable archaeologist, but let's not pretend he's Bertrand bloody Russell.

As Rileybobs mentioned further up the thread, most of the labels you attach to $hit you and others like you have been conditioned to be angry about is parroted twitter vocabulary (though I maintain, as Erasmus states above, that its original meaning cannot be forgotten); ideas so reductive to be tantamount to a meme, amplified by idiots who believe using language found in a glossary of political science terms gives any weight to an argument, and passed off by morons as an original thought. You think you're above the pitchfork economy. Mate, you're right in the centre of it.
1. I'm not your mate.

2. I really really couldn't give a rats ass what you think about me or my opinions.

3, Attempting to silence voices , opinions and people with whom you disagree with simply because they hold a different world view to yours. With the mind numbingly predictability of trying to link an enlightened view to 1940's Germany, is as laughable as it is infantile.

4, Using terms like "pitchfork economy" is just one of the reasons why The Left have been repeatedly rejected at the ballot box. They now have to circumvent democracy and use Cultural Marxism and Cancel Culture in a myriad aspects of public life in an attempt to achieve their aims

5 , Research "The Holodomor"

You and the likes of Andrew JB may, or may not, be able to Cancel Culture your way to your Communist Utupia.

But you're gonna have to shoot your way out of it.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:11 pm

martin_p wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Nick Clegg ‘cultural Marxist’ :lol:

The man who enabled the biggest cuts in public services and spending in a generation! If he’s a ‘culutural Marxist’ he’s a really, really bad one :lol:
Who said he was a good one?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:13 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:05 pm
Why are you so obsessed with what I think about Antifa?

When you say "prop him up financially" do you mean employ him? Does his job involve working with children? If not, why does being a paedophile disqualify him from doing whatever it is the leader of Antifa does?

I'm pretty sure there are lots of convicted paedophiles in employment. I'm not sure what the difference is here or what point you are trying to make.

Vast majority of right minded people- barge pole.

Antifa Ireland- "welcome back monster"

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:14 pm

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Irish Freedom, a hard right political party with links to alt right conspiracy theories, a Twitter status from the leader of that party, the Post Millenial (criticicised for releasing misinformation and articles written by fake personas, for past employment of an editor with ties to white supremacist-platforming and pro-Kremlin media outlets, and for opaque funding and political connections) and a post on Reddit's Irish NAtionalism page, no doubt stemming from Irish Freedom.

Nothing concrete, nothing reputable.

You're beyond parody.

EDIT - and whaddya know, Hermann Kelly of the Irish Freedom Party is a white supremacist. Has previously been filmed with Jim Dowson, formerly of the BNP espousing, the virtues of the Great Replacement conspiracy theory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Replacement
Last edited by Swizzlestick on Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:25 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:13 pm
Vast majority of right minded people- barge pole.

Antifa Ireland- "welcome back monster"
Irish Antifa don't have an issue with him? So what? What has this got to do with me? Or this thread, for that matter?

Now where is the Partridge shrugging gif?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:20 pm
Irish Freedom, a hard right political party with links to alt right conspiracy theories, a Twitter status from the leader of that party, the Post Millenial (criticicised for releasing misinformation and articles written by fake personas, for past employment of an editor with ties to white supremacist-platforming and pro-Kremlin media outlets, and for opaque funding and political connections) and a post on Reddit's Irish NAtionalism page, no doubt stemming from Irish Freedom.

Nothing concrete, nothing reputable.

You're beyond parody.
So, the founder and leader of Antifa Ireland is a convicted paedophile. And rather than condemn the abhorrent maggot, you want to argue the toss about the validity of news outlets. The mind boggles.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:29 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:27 pm
So, the founder and leader of Antifa Ireland is a convicted paedophile. And rather than condemn the abhorrent maggot, you want to argue the toss about the validity of news outlets. The mind boggles.
You haven't proven he's the leader of anything. You've posted some links from a white supremacist and a publication known for alt right conspiracy theories.

This is pizzagate levels of nonsense.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:29 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:25 pm
Irish Antifa don't have an issue with him? So what? What has this got to do with me? Or this thread, for that matter?

Now where is the Partridge shrugging gif?

"The Cat doth protest too much, methinks"

I'm happy to leave it at that.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:29 pm
You haven't proven he's the leader of anything. You've posted some links from a white supremacist and a publication known for alt right conspiracy theories.

This is pizzagate levels of nonsense.
See above post.

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:39 pm

I have to admit, it is surprising to me to see someone expressing what I'm going to politely refer to as "alternative" political views and repeatedly using antisemitic language without getting banned, but at the same time complaining in a thread about how silenced he is because of these political views and antisemitism.
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile Swizzlestick

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:42 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:27 pm
And the Brexit MEP Claire Fox said Gary Glitter had done nothing wrong.

I've never seen you condemn her.

Ringo the hypocrite yet again.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:59 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:29 pm
"The Cat doth protest too much, methinks"

I'm happy to leave it at that.
Protest? Really? About what?
Last edited by TheFamilyCat on Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.