The Telegraph : Fans returning to matches

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Les Lawrence
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Re: The Telegraph : Fans returning to matches

Post by Les Lawrence » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Why would we want away fans attending ,when season ticket holders who are paying for there seats can't get in.Dont fancy going when we play Leicester
These 2 users liked this post: dsr Blackburn_Claret

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm
It's a bit like asking members of the Labour party who should be in government to be honest. Asking supporters clubs was only going to get one answer.

Like I say though, it's irrelevant who you ask, risk has to the thing that is managed here and it's riskier to allow away fans than it is to go home fans only.
My point, but made far better :D

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:32 pm

If you look at it as dispassionately as possible then surely those with OAP tickets should be refused entry as they are the ones at the greatest risk.

I don't agree with the sentiment, nor do I agree with not having away fans, but in terms of a numerical exercise in minimising risk those two groups would be the ones to go.

Les Lawrence

Post by Les Lawrence » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Bet when the big teams come ,the more important fans on here will get one for every match😁

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:38 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:32 pm
If you look at it as dispassionately as possible then surely those with OAP tickets should be refused entry as they are the ones at the greatest risk.

I don't agree with the sentiment, nor do I agree with not having away fans, but in terms of a numerical exercise in minimising risk those two groups would be the ones to go.
How do then stop the grandson going home and telling his grandad all about the game he's just missed, whilst sitting on his knee, in a poorly ventilated room.

The answer is, you cannot stop it.

so if 65yr old grandad wants to go to the game, then he should be allowed to.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Les Lawrence wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm
Bet when the big teams come ,the more important fans on here will get one for every match😁
And the away tickets :lol:

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:41 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:

So you have a doctor who has a Senior Season Ticket at the Turf and who is dealing with people on a daily basis, however, you would stop his attending a football match because he would be at the greatest risk by attending a football match.

Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Les Lawrence wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:29 pm
Why would we want away fans attending ,when season ticket holders who are paying for there seats can't get in.Dont fancy going when we play Leicester
Well said les

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:55 pm

I said I don't agree with the sentiment so I clearly can't account for every hypothetical.

Fact is though that thousands of people are going to miss out and it's going to be impossible to treat every case on an individual basis, so some people are going to suffer unfairly.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm

It is a logistical nightmare when you can't even satisfy ST holders. I can't see the Club doing anything more complicated than allowing every third seat to attend on rotation. Identifying family bubbles, recycling those who choose not to attend or restricting access based on postcodes are fanciful imo. Our systems will not be sophisticated enough to cope and that's before you even consider if the will is there.

I am surprised anyone is in favour of away fans with capacity likely to be so limited.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:15 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm
I am surprised anyone is in favour of away fans with capacity likely to be so limited.
At the very least to preserve what we have usually with away fans getting a percentage. You see, I don’t understand why anyone is not in favour. I appreciate it is going to be difficult. It might be that some stands at some grounds can’t even open at all. But I don’t want to see us going down a home fans only route.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:30 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:15 pm
At the very least to preserve what we have usually with away fans getting a percentage. You see, I don’t understand why anyone is not in favour. I appreciate it is going to be difficult. It might be that some stands at some grounds can’t even open at all. But I don’t want to see us going down a home fans only route.
A different perspective for sure CT. So you would prefer a 'random' to be given the opportunity to watch a game at Turf Moor over a Burnley ST holder who has already paid to watch the game and invested (probably for years) in BFC?

I get that away fans contribute to the atmosphere and that is a fundamental part of what it is to watch live sport but equity/fairness trumps atmosphere in these weird circumstances.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:30 pm
A different perspective for sure CT. So you would prefer a 'random' to be given the opportunity to watch a game at Turf Moor over a Burnley ST holder who has already paid to watch the game and invested (probably for years) in BFC?

I get that away fans contribute to the atmosphere and that is a fundamental part of what it is to watch live sport but equity/fairness trumps atmosphere in these weird circumstances.
Hardly random, would be season ticket holders of the club we were playing against. Likewise some of our season ticket holders would be able to go to the away games so it balances and it would be fair.

I just think that’s how it should be done even though the attendances are reduced. I don’t want to see home fans only games, not even in these circumstances.

I appreciate the travel issues, and that’s of the utmost importance but imagine if home fans were told they couldn’t attend because they lived too far away.

Above all, when the turnstiles do open again it is about having everything as safe as possible but I think that can be done with away fans in.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 pm
Hardly random, would be season ticket holders of the club we were playing against. Likewise some of our season ticket holders would be able to go to the away games so it balances and it would be fair.

I just think that’s how it should be done even though the attendances are reduced. I don’t want to see home fans only games, not even in these circumstances.

I appreciate the travel issues, and that’s of the utmost importance but imagine if home fans were told they couldn’t attend because they lived too far away.

Above all, when the turnstiles do open again it is about having everything as safe as possible but I think that can be done with away fans in.
Have these aways fans already paid for their ticket at Turf Moor like I have? No.

So, will these away fans forego home matches to watch away matches? If yes, that makes no sense. If no, then fewer people are watching more of the games, potentially at my expense.

Travel is a red herring imo.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:41 pm
Have these aways fans already paid for their ticket at Turf Moor like I have? No.

So, will these away fans forego home matches to watch away matches? If yes, that makes no sense. If no, then fewer people are watching more of the games, potentially at my expense.

Travel is a red herring imo.
These away fans would see the number of tickets at their own grounds reduced for them to accommodate away fans. It’s not just about home fans and being fair with them, every game is about two clubs. I hope we don’t go down the road of home fans only, real backward step in my view if we do.

Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 pm

So you think it would be safe for 500 Leicester City supporters travelling to Turf Moor?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 pm
So you think it would be safe for 500 Leicester City supporters travelling to Turf Moor?
I do and vice versa....

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:44 pm
These away fans would see the number of tickets at their own grounds reduced for them to accommodate away fans.
The games I would be able to see would be reduced to accommodate people who hadn't made the financial commitment that I have. When I paid for my ST it wasn't on the understanding that I would have to go to other grounds to get my quota of games.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:14 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:00 pm
The games I would be able to see would be reduced to accommodate people who hadn't made the financial commitment that I have. When I paid for my ST it wasn't on the understanding that I would have to go to other grounds to get my quota of games.
That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that I believe there should be an allocation of away supporters in the grounds for games if it is safe to allow that. I understand season ticket holders won’t be able to go to all home games whatever happens but away fans are a big part of Premier League football that needs to be maintained.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:14 pm
That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that I believe there should be an allocation of away supporters in the grounds for games if it is safe to allow that. I understand season ticket holders won’t be able to go to all home games whatever happens but away fans are a big part of Premier League football that needs to be maintained.
It might not be what you are saying CT but it is the logical consequence of what you are saying. I have already conceded that the absence of away fans is detrimental but, in my opinion, they cannot be favoured over home fans. I can see how it would be beneficial for ST holders who were prepared to travel to away games but that is a minority even in normal times.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:26 pm

First time I’ve had a chance to read this after starting this thread.

Doesn’t seem any solutions, only problems, which is all I can see too.

I’m with the ones who want to see away fans. There’s no chance though. The selling of tickets, family bubbles, travel logistics - none of it can work.

Even for home fans, too many problems. One of the first replies was someone saying little 5 year old Tommy can have his temperature checked before travelling. Is there a family who would think to do that? The concourse would be shut at HT and presumably toilet visits banned at HT too - no way can people be cheek to jowl at the urinals. People currently hand out and share their season tickets (technically not allowed of course) - there will be all kinds of arguments when the seat to the side or in front has a new person in it and others feel they’ve respected the rules. We could list two dozen problems like these.

All in all, I love my football, but I can’t see it being a pleasant experience. The sooner we get a vaccine, the better.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Travel is not a red herring when the flow of people through service stations and local hostelries etc is increased. We are trying to contain a pandemic and whether anyone likes it or not away fans bring the need for more people at the stadiums in terms of infrastructure/security along with the increased risks of long coach journeys etc, etc.

We already have areas in tighter lockdown and moving to more normality before it is safe just increases the risks and makes a mockery of all the stuff most of us have been doing to prevent the spread. Not having away fans is not a backward step when nobody is allowed in at present.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:28 pm

Haven't read all the thread, but as someone who has missed just a handful of home games in the last thirty plus years, I'd be thoroughly ****** off if I was denied the chance to go to a home game because a fan of another team was deemed more important to the "atmosphere".
These 3 users liked this post: Duffer_ bob77 k90bfc

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:32 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:27 pm
Travel is not a red herring when the flow of people through service stations and local hostelries etc is increased. We are trying to contain a pandemic and whether anyone likes it or not away fans bring the need for more people at the stadiums in terms of infrastructure/security along with the increased risks of long coach journeys etc, etc.

We already have areas in tighter lockdown and moving to more normality before it is safe just increases the risks and makes a mockery of all the stuff most of us have been doing to prevent the spread. Not having away fans is not a backward step when nobody is allowed in at present.
Suspect that was aimed at me. I said travel was a red herring because if it's so borderline then we shouldn't be contemplating going back in stadia. As has been pointed out, travel is not limited to away fans.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:33 pm

No easy answers to the away fans situation when fans are allowed back. There are perfectly valid points on both sides. I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision on this one!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:37 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:22 pm
It might not be what you are saying CT but it is the logical consequence of what you are saying. I have already conceded that the absence of away fans is detrimental but, in my opinion, they cannot be favoured over home fans. I can see how it would be beneficial for ST holders who were prepared to travel to away games but that is a minority even in normal times.
Not being favoured over home fans, just continuing as it has always been with a percentage of the allocation available to away supporters.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:37 pm
Not being favoured over home fans, just continuing as it has always been with a percentage of the allocation available to away supporters.
Continuing as it has always been? There is nothing regular about this situation and it is, well, odd to try to apply 'normal' rules. But if you want to...it is not normal or equitable for a fan who has bought a ticket to be told they cannot be accommodated because another fan who hadn't bought a ticket has a 'right' to attend.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Yeah, the away fans idea is a non starter and shouldn’t even be open to consideration when home season ticket holders are potentially missing out. All sorts of issues, both logistical and public health. Focus should be on home fans only.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:19 am

The only time I can remember buying a ticket and it not being honoured, despite the "event" happening, was on an 'overbooked' flight but at least the other passengers had also paid for theirs.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:07 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:37 pm
Absolute nonsense

Les Lawrence

Post by Les Lawrence » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:12 am

So looking like you can only go to one match in 3 if your lucky.Even if your paying for a season ticket.Why should away fans be given a chance before paying Season ticket holders,what a load of shite.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:40 am

Its my understanding that there are no turnstiles for home fans to access the CF stand due to visitor dressing rooms. If we don't allow visiting fans it's not an issue, just access using the current visitor turnstile. If we do allow visiting fans, then would home fans be binned out of CF stand due to no safe access to the stand?
Would CF season ticket holders then be offered a seat in another part of the ground?
I'd be miffed if I were allocated a JM lower seat on a cold and wet matchday when my CF seat is nice a dry, potentially being used by a visitor to boot.
Visitor fans are a key component to the match day experience, but this is a logistical and safety nightmare for me, so if that means no visitors for the foreseeable future, then so be it.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:43 am

duncandisorderly wrote:

The BAME community are just as much at risk, if not more so. good luck in this day and age by refusing them entry..

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:47 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:32 pm
Suspect that was aimed at me. I said travel was a red herring because if it's so borderline then we shouldn't be contemplating going back in stadia. As has been pointed out, travel is not limited to away fans.
Let's hope we don't draw Oldham in the cup..

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:16 am

If they did go with away fans they’d have to change the way they are currently allocated to our fans.
The loyalty points system giving the same group of people priority wouldn’t work.

Les Lawrence

Post by Les Lawrence » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:21 am

We all know that when home /away tickets are allocated,the select few super fans ,will get tickets to all the games😠

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:30 am

No fan's should be allowed in unless everyone is allowed back.

Why should I be given the Southampton, Fulham and West Brom games and the next man gets Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea in the lottery of 1 in 3 games

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:30 am

Les Lawrence wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:21 am
We all know that when home /away tickets are allocated,the select few super fans ,will get tickets to all the games😠
I don’t know what you mean by super fans but I would seriously hope that it would be done fairly with everyone who wanted to go getting an equal chance.

I’ll quote Bournemouth who have already explained how they will do it for home games should this happen. It will be a ballot each game for season ticket holders who will be required to apply. No one will be successful in the ballots on two occasions until everyone has been successful once. So in effect it will just about be a rota. That, or similar, how I would hope it would be done by us.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:39 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:30 am

Why should I be given the Southampton, Fulham and West Brom games and the next man gets Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea in the lottery of 1 in 3 games
I think we’d get more enjoyment out of the first lot to be honest.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:41 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:39 am
I think we’d get more enjoyment out of the first lot to be honest.

:lol: :lol: True

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:56 am

ClaretMov wrote:

This views very typical of a lot on here.

Rather than being grateful for what they can do, rather moan about what they can’t.

Besides who do you support? Burnley or City, Liverpool and Chelsea?

Give me Southampton, West Brom and Fulham any day. We got six points of the saints last year and hammered the other two on our last two meetings.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Les Lawrence Les Lawrence

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 am

You can tell who the glory hunters are who would rather see us get walloped off the likes of Chelsea and City, than see us score goals and pick up points against the lower clubs.

Some right selfish prats as well, whose attitude is. If I am not allowed to pick and choose my games why should anyone else have the right to a attend a match
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Blackburn_Claret

cav
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 74 times

Post by cav » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:08 am

ClaretMov wrote:

I’d happily swap my Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool games with you, Mov for your Southampton, Fulham, West Brom games, I’d much rather see us win 9 points than 0 :lol:
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am

ClaretTony wrote:
I don’t know what you mean by super fans but I would seriously hope that it would be done fairly with everyone who wanted to go getting an equal chance.

I’ll quote Bournemouth who have already explained how they will do it for home games should this happen. It will be a ballot each game for season ticket holders who will be required to apply. No one will be successful in the ballots on two occasions until everyone has been successful once. So in effect it will just about be a rota. That, or similar, how I would hope it would be done by us.
Still not sure how they can make that work. Will households and bubbles be able to sit together? If so, how will they know how to arrange the socially distanced seating until they know who has won the ballot? If there is a household of 4,the seating around them will be different to around someone sat on their own.
Clubs will need as much space as possible to even attempt to make it work.
If away fans were allowed in, how would the home club know who can sit together and who cannot?

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am

Top Claret wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 am
You can tell who the glory hunters are who would rather see us get walloped off the likes of Chelsea and City, than see us score goals and pick up points against the lower clubs.

Some right selfish prats as well, whose attitude is. If I am not allowed to pick and choose my games why should anyone else have the right to a attend a match

******* dickhead.......glory hunter, I've watched us in all four division's been to other side of the country on a Tuesday night to watch Burnley play against clubs that dont exist anymore gone without to see us play got sacked for time off midweek to attend games you prick

Over the years of watching Burnley play shite against shite in the 80s I've earned the right to watch us take on the best.....I watch FOOTBALL not just us play

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2624 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:16 am

My view.. we should do everything to allow away fans back too. The idea of 'nobody should be allowed back unless we all are' is ludicrously selfish. And overall, it's going to be a bit rubbish until the season after so there's 3 seats in the Longside Upper available already for when they raffle them off or whatever.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 am

What i was saying is why should we only get certain games, some will not be happy with the way the games are dished out........it should be all back or non back accross football.

The lower league club's couldn't survive if they had to open to say 1000 fan's scattered around the ground but still had the same security costs
Last edited by ClaretMov on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:21 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am
******* dickhead.......glory hunter, I've watched us in all four division's been to other side of the country on a Tuesday night to watch Burnley play against clubs that dont exist anymore gone without to see us play got sacked for time off midweek to attend games you prick

Over the years of watching Burnley play shite against shite in the 80s I've earned the right to watch us take on the best.....I watch FOOTBALL not just us play
Still a selfish prat though

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:22 am

Most football fans do not go to away games - that is based on the sheer numbers of fans who attend home games compared to away fans.
To suggest that the majority of supporters would prefer there to be away fans in a reduced attendance scenario does not make any sense.
The groups who are supposedly representing supporters seem to be simply representing themselves - and I’m guessing it’s probably because the large majority of these supporter groups are fans who travel to away games most weeks.
Why would the those large majority of season ticket holders who either never or rarely go to away games be in favour of away fans attending ? Firstly we already know it won’t be about creating a better atmosphere given there will be a few hundred away fans and secondly it would mean less of these season ticket holders being able to attend games.
These 5 users liked this post: ClaretMov Duffer_ Grumps cricketfieldclarets daveisaclaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:25 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 am
What i was saying is why should we only get certain games, some will not be happy with the way the games are dished out........it should be all back or non back accross football.

The lower league club's couldn't survive if they had to open to say 1000 fan's scattered around the ground but still had the same security costs
You mean you won’t be happy ?

Why will security costs be the same with less fans ? Are the security costs for Accrington the same as at Man United ?