Eat out to help out

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Re: Eat out to help out

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:20 am

Longsidelenny1882 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:55 pm
That sounds a good deal local cricketer where about is shimla spice will the x43 drop me of close bye utc
Its take your own booze at Shimla Lenny so the deal isn't quite as good as it sounds!

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:54 am

I see that a number of restaurants are now removing them from the scheme saying they are too busy and that it is actually costing them money because people are now booking early in the week instead of later in the week???

The only thing I can think is sales of alcohol are down but I thought margins are low on that anyway?

Also, regarding being too busy?? Eh, what if they are full on a Friday? Do they complain then?? They can't be losing on the food as the government are re-imbursing them?

Am I missing something??

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:04 am

I would’ve thought margins on alcohol would be pretty high.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:08 am

I think some places are intent on shooting themselves in the foot. One night last week I went to a pub I have been going to for almost 50 years. They had a sign up saying it was bookings only for meals and DRINKS. There were more than 20 spare seats outside and at least the same number inside so I politely explained we just wanted one quick drink, then we would be one our way. They refused, saying I needed a booking! I have been going in there with a couple of mates on an almost weekly basis since it reopened after a refit a couple of years ago and for many, many years before that. One night we arrived to find it closed because the chef had gone to hospital, another night it was closed because the staff had all buggered off on a brewery trip, another night it was shut because they had a leaking bog -- but we stuck with it! Not any more! I won't darken the door of the Walton Arms (or The Walton as the new mob prefer to call it) while the current regime is in charge. I wonder how many punters they will have in there on the first Tuesday after the meal deal ends and they need the custom??? :(

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 am

The returns on alcohol are good but my mate with a restaurant in Devon says most of these EOHO customers don't buy any drinks.

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am

dougcollins wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 am
The returns on alcohol are good but my mate with a restaurant in Devon says most of these EOHO customers don't buy any drinks.
I can understand if they aren't buying alcohol but surely they are good if not better on soft drinks?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:20 am

ClaretDiver wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am
I can understand if they aren't buying alcohol but surely they are good if not better on soft drinks?
Probably not tbh and people are likely to drink more alcohol while you’d probably only one relatively low value soft drink, two at the most.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2309 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:26 am

Hendrickxz wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:08 am
I think some places are intent on shooting themselves in the foot. One night last week I went to a pub I have been going to for almost 50 years. They had a sign up saying it was bookings only for meals and DRINKS. There were more than 20 spare seats outside and at least the same number inside so I politely explained we just wanted one quick drink, then we would be one our way. They refused, saying I needed a booking! I have been going in there with a couple of mates on an almost weekly basis since it reopened after a refit a couple of years ago and for many, many years before that. One night we arrived to find it closed because the chef had gone to hospital, another night it was closed because the staff had all buggered off on a brewery trip, another night it was shut because they had a leaking bog -- but we stuck with it! Not any more! I won't darken the door of the Walton Arms (or The Walton as the new mob prefer to call it) while the current regime is in charge. I wonder how many punters they will have in there on the first Tuesday after the meal deal ends and they need the custom??? :(
I went to the Anchor in Salterforth after a long walk with a few mates, we sat down outside as you have to order via an app, one of the waitresses said, ''theres no service until1'', I said its ok I only want a drink, ''yes thats on drinks as well''

We got in the car and drove off absolutely baffled as those around us had drinks, it was only when we got to the old stone trough I realised she probably meant we had to go inside and get drinks ourselves, but she'd let us get up and walk out of the beer garden to the car.

I don't mind the pub but its painful when you arrive and have to start downloading apps, complete your order, add card details and after 10 minutes be told you've wasted your time. :lol:

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:28 am

ClaretDiver wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am
my old landlord used to moan that they made very little on beer, it was the cocktails, wine and fancy gins, shots etc that made the money

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:32 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:20 am
Probably not tbh and people are likely to drink more alcohol while you’d probably only one relatively low value soft drink, two at the most.
£1.20 for a pint of cola at our local....the syrup type....pretty sure the margins on that are quite high

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:18 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:15 pm
They could put through fake cash receipts or even card payments that were then refunded (friend's or staff member's cards). I'm sure there must be some mechanism in place but on the face of it, it seems very easy to fiddle.
There's lot of fraud that you can generally get away with for a while if you put the effort in. The question is whether it's worth putting the effort in and how long you'll get away with it?

Anything like the above (friend's or staff member cards) will probably come out fairly soon because you have a load of people involved and people talk. On top of that the returns wouldn't be great once you start paying VAT, tax, etc on those fake meals (or you don't do that and then it's another thread to unravel).

I've worked on a fair few fraud cases over the years and generally they get discovered when someone gets too ambitious or gets sloppy. The "best" one I saw wasn't discovered until after the guy died. He'd made up a load of fake Chinese suppliers and was using them to siphon money out of the business and avoid tax. It came to light when the guy died and a number of offshore accounts were discovered that HMRC were obviously very interested in. We only worked out what was happening when it was found that a number of invoices and letters from supposedly different companies were all done on the same typewriter.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:43 am

A good few years ago, the tax authorities in Rome decided to have a crackdown on the city's cafe's and restaurants. They went to Court and quietly subpoenaed the Sales records of the major Wholesalers of paper napkins, and also the laundrettes where the " posher " restaurants had their tableclothes and napkins laundered.
They calculated a 30% waste margin, and sent the business's amended tax bills based on the number of napkins etc they used, rather than the works of fiction that had been submitted by the owners ! The options were " pay the bill as given ", or be subject to a full 3 month audit .... over 90% of business's paid up !!

In 2010, the city authorities in Athens suspected that there were rather more than the 324 private swimming pools " declared " by their residents, as they incur an annual tax. The authorities then decided to purchase some detailed Satellite photo's of the City, and by the time their investigation was completed, they'd found that, rather than 324 pools, there were 16,974 of them .....
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 am

Half of the boot drinkers nowadays sup coffee for their free refills

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:42 am

ClaretDiver wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:54 am
I see that a number of restaurants are now removing them from the scheme saying they are too busy and that it is actually costing them money because people are now booking early in the week instead of later in the week???

The only thing I can think is sales of alcohol are down but I thought margins are low on that anyway?

Also, regarding being too busy?? Eh, what if they are full on a Friday? Do they complain then?? They can't be losing on the food as the government are re-imbursing them?

Am I missing something??
Wages.

Most restaurants trade is on the weekends in smaller towns/areas. That’s where staff work the majority of their hours and business take the most money. With the Monday -Wednesday scheme atm staff will be working the majority of their working hours over those days. They’ll need paying for that (most salary based staff won’t be from experience some years ago). That’s no problem, the business are busy and making money to cover that. The problem is then the weekends when some of the trade is down, yet staff will be still their, working with not so much money coming in. A lot of restaurants will be opening on days, and other days earlier than what they normally would.

It’s okay thinking “we’ll do this for 3 days (Mon-Wed) get business booming and the weekends will be fine always. Not realising less people will go out on the weekend, getting the most of this offer. Whilst business still have to pay the wages for the weekends.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am

ClaretDiver wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:54 am

Am I missing something??
My first job as an accountant was for one of the then big brewers - this was 40+ years back. Pubs' margin on beer was always low and was all about shifting volumes. Wine and spirits have higher margins. Highest margins, in pubs, back then was on the soft drinks. That may still be true today. My receipt shows I paid £8.60 for 2 x bottles of Heineken 0.0 last night - though that was before the "eat out" discount which is applied to food and soft drinks. However, I'd already spent £20 on food, so "2 no-alcohol" drinks for £8.60! :o

For those who are interested, "eat out to help out" lists low alcohol drinks below 1.2% ABV as qualifying for the scheme.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Just been to the Terrace in Saltaire.

Very nice food and ambience.

Cheers Bozza.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Indian Harvest in Crawshawbooth fantastic as always!

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Had a late breakfast with Mrs C today at Bistro 197 in the golf club off Tod Road. The menu offered a small English so we both chose that and I added another item and more toast. Didn't need either as the meal was plenty. A pot of tea and a coffee. Total cost for two English as described was just over £9.00. Bonus is the tables were very well spaced out. Very pleasant.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:20 pm

COBBLE wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Had a late breakfast with Mrs C today at Bistro 197 in the golf club off Tod Road. The menu offered a small English so we both chose that and I added another item and more toast. Didn't need either as the meal was plenty. A pot of tea and a coffee. Total cost for two English as described was just over £9.00. Bonus is the tables were very well spaced out. Very pleasant.

Only been once for an evening meal and it were absolutely outstanding in every way.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:35 pm

In terms of fraudulent activity, a lady friend of mine (who is an accountant) said the Furlough scheme has kind of worked the other way. Employers who were paying employees by dividends to avoid tax -usually family members- complained to HMRC about the amount of Furlough they were allowed to claim, as it basically acted as a mirror-image of your employers' deductions. They'll now be investigated by HMRC for improper use of the PAYE system.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Cheers Bozza.
Better pies in Padiham
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:27 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 pm
Better pies in Padiham
Obviously

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 am

On the "disappointing" side, booked for 7:30pm, menu brought to us at 8pm, drinks about the same time - then another hour before starters were served and a further delay before main course.

I was trying somewhere I've not been to for sometime. They'd just had a "makeover" before lockdown. Premises look good. They now need to train their staff how to run a restaurant.... :(
Many are running understaffed in the kitchens to reflect the adjustment in covers brought about by the distancing restrictions.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:30 am

Caballo wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 am
Many are running understaffed in the kitchens to reflect the adjustment in covers brought about by the distancing restrictions.
There were enough staff around for them to have time to chat with each other. :(

Shappie
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by Shappie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:43 am

dougcollins wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 am
Where in devon out of interest mate?

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:01 am

Went to Gate of India in Rawtenstall last night and I asked the owner how they were doing and he said very well and selling double the amount of beer a week than they would normally do which I thought was telling as beer is not included in discount. He is also ordering far more food from suppliers.

It could be that the chancellor has pulled a master stroke and it may not cost Govt that much due to the increased sales in Restaurants themselves and the supply chain.

Food was excellent as well

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 pm

Apparently 35m people used the scheme and not one is reported to have died from the nasty virus.

All indoors as well.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:09 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 pm
Apparently 35m people used the scheme and not one is reported to have died from the nasty virus.

All indoors as well.
That stat doesn't mean anything at all.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:09 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:09 pm
That stat doesn't mean anything at all.
To you maybe

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 pm

All indoors as well.
I very much doubt around 50% of the UK population used the scheme. Have you been reading that Burnley MPs facebook page again or something?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:15 pm
I very much doubt around 50% of the UK population used the scheme. Have you been reading that Burnley MPs facebook page again or something?
More likely 5million people used the scheme on a regular basis.
Whilst showing no symptoms of Covid19, all are now heavy users of Gaviscon :D
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:24 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:15 pm
He told me one person used it 35 million times the fat bar steward

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:24 pm
He told me one person used it 35 million times the fat bar steward
I ran off everyone of those 35m meals, honest guv!!

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:39 pm

I'm just amazed that people can't see they're being bought.
Thousands of jobs are going in other high street outlets while food and drink outlets are being subsidised...?

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 pm

The high street has slowly become food and drink over the last decade anyway. Online retail has seen to that.
Unless you're a boutique town like Harrogate or Brighton your high street will be Nandos, Boots, KFC, Poundland, Subway etc, cut and paste.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:52 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 pm
The high street has slowly become food and drink over the last decade anyway. Online retail has seen to that.
Unless you're a boutique town like Harrogate or Brighton your high street will be Nandos, Boots, KFC, Poundland, Subway etc, cut and paste.
You're not wrong.
But why choose the food/drink over the rest? They don't even offer decent terms of employment in many cases.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:52 pm
You're not wrong.
But why choose the food/drink over the rest? They don't even offer decent terms of employment in many cases.
I presume most shops could run a home delivery service if they so wished?

The food and drink offer was for cafes and restaurants where you had to eat in. Although some took advantage granted

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:07 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 pm
I presume most shops could run a home delivery service if they so wished?

The food and drink offer was for cafes and restaurants where you had to eat in. Although some took advantage granted
I think my main point still remains. The public are being offered a token, it will not benefit society in the long run. I'm told that Wetherspoons have never been so busy. Make of it what you will.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3795 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:48 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:39 pm
I'm just amazed that people can't see they're being bought.
Thousands of jobs are going in other high street outlets while food and drink outlets are being subsidised...?
Not sure just how the scheme subsidised food and drink outlets, as it was the customers who benefited financially from the 50%/£10 discount.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:13 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Cheers Bozza.
Dont tell Titus..

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:49 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:26 am
I went to the Anchor in Salterforth after a long walk with a few mates, we sat down outside as you have to order via an app, one of the waitresses said, ''theres no service until1'', I said its ok I only want a drink, ''yes thats on drinks as well''

We got in the car and drove off absolutely baffled as those around us had drinks, it was only when we got to the old stone trough I realised she probably meant we had to go inside and get drinks ourselves, but she'd let us get up and walk out of the beer garden to the car.

I don't mind the pub but its painful when you arrive and have to start downloading apps, complete your order, add card details and after 10 minutes be told you've wasted your time. :lol:
That particular area is prone to intermittent poor signal coverage so you would do well even downloading the apps unless you was using the pub WiFi if they have 1 & it extends far enough outside, I don't understand why a old fashioned notepad & pen couldn't be used by a waitress, I get the app facilitating no money exchanging hands but it's not rocket science to don a pair of disposable latex gloves, some people are just intent on making life as difficult as possible for no logical reason.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:52 pm
You're not wrong.
Maybe quantity of jobs per outlet?
We went to Pizza Express during EOTHE, could see 4 chefs in the open kitchen and probably 8 or so front of house staff.
Compare that to a lone cashier, pharmacist and security guard in boots.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:13 am
Dont tell Titus..
Gone over my head that one Tim.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:07 pm
I think my main point still remains. The public are being offered a token, it will not benefit society in the long run. I'm told that Wetherspoons have never been so busy. Make of it what you will.
All about opinions but if it keeps any place going it benefits society.

I don't normally go out during the week but went and tried a couple of new places catching up with family members I hadn't seen for a while.
Money was spent that normally wouldn't of been and chances are the 10 pound gift will of been have been made back up in alcohol tax, wages etc.

Near enough every place booked out. Was great to see.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:32 am

Begs the question that if it's working so well why don't they continue with the scheme indefinitely?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:55 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 am
Gone over my head that one Tim.
You mentioned the terrace in saltaire.... which I wasnt aware of..dont tell titus is another nearby eating house and bar. Very clean reasonably priced food and drink. I like the sound of the terrace steak nights. :D
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:21 am

Spijed wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:32 am
Begs the question that if it's working so well why don't they continue with the scheme indefinitely?
I'm not sure it will be as popular over a longer period or even if the restaurants and cafes did it themselves.

Hopefully, soon the working away put it on expenses types will be back out during the week.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:24 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:55 am
You mentioned the terrace in saltaire.... which I wasnt aware of..dont tell titus is another nearby eating house and bar. Very clean reasonably priced food and drink. I like the sound of the terrace steak nights. :D
It's a lovely little French themed place.

The scallops are amazing.

Well worth a visit.

Now you mention it Tim I have driven past a few times. Lovely village.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Leisure
Been Liked: 3795 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:37 am

The Palazzo in Burnley is continuing with the scheme but at a reduced 25%.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:21 am
I'm not sure it will be as popular over a longer period or even if the restaurants and cafes did it themselves.

Hopefully, soon the working away put it on expenses types will be back out during the week.
I always go to a curry house, get a receipt for ‘Buffet’ at £30, means I can have a few beers as well ;)