Chairmans statement

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Re: Chairmans statement

Post by clarethomer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:00 pm

The point being Tony is that many people can't/wont be able to commit in the same way you can.

If the club ran fans surveys on topics that were important to them and they wanted to form a view on the back of what fans thought, an invite into this type of program would hopefully get you a better/wider/diverse range of thoughts and inputs.

Not disrespecting the board that you have applied for but I looked at it and the application process looked too much of an effort. If you want to gather thoughts and feelings of your fans - this can be done easily now. Set up a forum of users which can pose questions, or ideas and then ask via surveys for people to respond into what they want.

Use your board to discuss these results to drive these forwards. Use the same technology for the board to communicate back to the forums on what the outcomes of these discussions were.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:06 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:00 pm
The point being Tony is that many people can't/wont be able to commit in the same way you can.

If the club ran fans surveys on topics that were important to them and they wanted to form a view on the back of what fans thought, an invite into this type of program would hopefully get you a better/wider/diverse range of thoughts and inputs.

Not disrespecting the board that you have applied for but I looked at it and the application process looked too much of an effort. If you want to gather thoughts and feelings of your fans - this can be done easily now. Set up a forum of users which can pose questions, or ideas and then ask via surveys for people to respond into what they want.

Use your board to discuss these results to drive these forwards.
The club chose to go down this route. It was a short application form and then a black hole until we were informed some months later. There is one other poster from this board on there.

All I can say for now is allow it time to get established. If it isn’t working on behalf of all supporters then it’s not working full stop.

Your suggestion of surveys is a good one and something that I agree should be used.

As I’ve said previously, I can’t say much just now but hopefully this will work well when it becomes established. It’s probably taking too long for a number of reasons, COVID & the loss of Dave Baldwin being two of them.
This user liked this post: clarethomer

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:09 pm

You have 4435 users on this forum CT. Im not saying you should use this forum to gather thoughts/ideas/views but I reckon if there were discussion points which the club wanted the views of fans then the use of a survey of fans would ensure the board were able to understand the view of the supporter base rather than a select few taking a limited view of their connections.

Note- you replied whilst I was typing this.
Last edited by clarethomer on Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:10 pm

This Board is a bit like my local Parish Council - people who can't/won't put themselves forward and give up their time telling people who do make the sacrifices where they are going wrong.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:12 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:09 pm
You have 4435 users on this forum CT. Im not saying you should use this forum to gather thoughts/ideas/views but I reckon if there were discussion points which the club wanted the views of fans then the use of a survey of fans would ensure the board were able to understand the view of the supporter base rather than a select few taking a limited view of their connections.
As I’ve said, I agree with you.

I’ve also said a couple of times that I can’t say much else on the supporters board just now. I just wanted, when I saw duffer’s post, to confirm that I’m on it. I could have not bothered to respond but I thought it was right that I should come forward and say I’m a member.

I’ll leave it at that for now and will post/comment more when I’m able and when there is something to say.
These 3 users liked this post: clarethomer evensteadiereddie longsidepies

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:13 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:10 pm
This Board is a bit like my local Parish Council - people who can't/won't put themselves forward and give up their time telling people who do make the sacrifices where they are going wrong.
I don't always have the time to attend meetings etc. It doesn't mean I don't care or want to contribute. I am simply pointing out that this could be structured to work better. I am not telling anyone that they aren't doing a good job etc. I am off work at the moment but you can check my post history and see that I don't often find time to post on here when Im working and when I do, its in the minutes where I can grab 5 mins of downtime etc.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:12 pm
As I’ve said, I agree with you.

I’ve also said a couple of times that I can’t say much else on the supporters board just now. I just wanted, when I saw duffer’s post, to confirm that I’m on it. I could have not bothered to respond but I thought it was right that I should come forward and say I’m a member.

I’ll leave it at that for now and will post/comment more when I’m able and when there is something to say.
Good to know CT - Thanks for acknowledging.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:15 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:10 pm
They're to busy Building barricades around Barley.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3604 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:28 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:00 pm

Use your board to discuss these results to drive these forwards. Use the same technology for the board to communicate back to the forums on what the outcomes of these discussions were.
I applied for the Supporters Board, and was fully honest in my application stating my location (Chesterfield) and circumstances (married, young child, full time worker) etc, and I was still selected for the board. The whole point of the Supporters Board is that it’s a wide demographic of fans, from different backgrounds and with different circumstances to obviously attempt to get a decent level of representation for the overall supporter base.

As Tony has said, it’s been difficult because the circumstances we find ourselves in really pulled the rug out from under our feet shortly after our first two or three meetings, not to mention we of course had a change of CEO in that period also. We have regular meetings via Zoom (previously face to face) on a broad range of topics but there really isn’t much of anything to say as yet and that is genuinely the truth! It’s certainly not a cloak and dagger enterprise, but it’s really not a mature enough operation yet to have anything to share.

That isn’t for the want of trying I would caveat the above with, from both the club and the SB, it’s just sadly another thing that got hampered by Covid-19. I like to think it will start to move forwards more successfully now, however. I think some of your suggestions r.e canvassing opinion/surveys etc will certainly come into play when things are at that stage.
These 2 users liked this post: clarethomer Duffer_

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks both Jedi and CT. I appreciate that there are challenges currently. I wish I had applied now but just felt it would be given to people who were able to be more flexible.

Look forward to being asked for views/comments etc in due course.
These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master ClaretTony

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:53 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 pm
Do we know anyone on the Burnley FC Supporters’ Board or any other supporters groups that may have been consulted?
Itd be very interesting to know how many there are, if they posted on here, or anyone knows them.

These groups tend to be carefully selected and usually consist of people that are only there for the free biscuits and nod/say yes a lot.

It's great to put "after consultation with fan grouos" at the end of decisions.
If that consists of Bill, Peter and Clive all nodding whilst eating custard creams then its objective achieved.

Hopefully that's not the case and those in these groups do challenge or question decisions, and also relay what the fans actually want and think.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:20 am

clarethomer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:09 pm
...Im not saying you should use this forum to gather thoughts/ideas/views...
Thank goodness for that!

This forum cannot achieve a consensus on anything! (OK, anything except Robbie Blake) and includes a significant proportion of contributors who cannot understand even the base concepts of economics or business; that's fine on a messageboard/forum - you provide the light relief/humour, thanks guys. - but the very idea of their having any input into the way in which BFC operates is as far from funny as you can get.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 am

Never liked Blake. :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:32 am

MACCA wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:53 am
Itd be very interesting to know how many there are, if they posted on here, or anyone knows them.

These groups tend to be carefully selected and usually consist of people that are only there for the free biscuits and nod/say yes a lot.
Yesterday you were advising people to do what they wanted and to ignore the COVID-19 lockdowns, today your ignorance continues with this dreadful statement. From my point of view, I've worked hard on behalf of fans, sometimes with success and sometimes without, over many years and continue to do so. I find this comment downright insulting.
These 4 users liked this post: Chester Perry CaptainKirk bfcjg longsidepies

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:32 am
Yesterday you were advising people to do what they wanted and to ignore the COVID-19 lockdowns, today your ignorance continues with this dreadful statement. From my point of view, I've worked hard on behalf of fans, sometimes with success and sometimes without, over many years and continue to do so. I find this comment downright insulting.

You've only quoted half of my post, I said later on ( and I'm sure you read it just chose not to quote it so you could have another go ) hopefully this isnt the case.

So you could have chosen to answer the question, but you decided to bring up something irrelevant from yesterday, and then pick out something from the post without answering any point I was making.

So if you're the fan group, you're the one who works hard for the fans hoping to get things sorted on their behalf?

Well they didnt listen in the fan surveys etc, so hopefully you'll get a wide range of fans opinions and theyll listen to you regards running hot water, large puddles and other really substandard things the fans have to put up with week in week out season on season.

The spokesman could maybe ask fans on here , and I know it's only a fraction of our support, as to what they would like improving or and stadium issues they may have.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3604 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 pm

You’ve probably elected to skip my post MACCA, or didn’t take it in but I’m not in anyway a ‘yes man’, nor am I in it for the biscuits (I’m on a diet).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:10 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 pm
You’ve probably elected to skip my post MACCA, or didn’t take it in but I’m not in anyway a ‘yes man’, nor am I in it for the biscuits (I’m on a diet).
He will skip past anything sensible. That’s what he does sadly.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:25 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:52 pm
You've only quoted half of my post, I said later on ( and I'm sure you read it just chose not to quote it so you could have another go ) hopefully this isnt the case.

So you could have chosen to answer the question, but you decided to bring up something irrelevant from yesterday, and then pick out something from the post without answering any point I was making.

So if you're the fan group, you're the one who works hard for the fans hoping to get things sorted on their behalf?

Well they didnt listen in the fan surveys etc, so hopefully you'll get a wide range of fans opinions and theyll listen to you regards running hot water, large puddles and other really substandard things the fans have to put up with week in week out season on season.

The spokesman could maybe ask fans on here , and I know it's only a fraction of our support, as to what they would like improving or and stadium issues they may have.
I quoted the part that I found insulting and offensive. If you’d bothered to read the thread and the comments from myself & jedi_master last night then I’m sure as hell baffled that you could post something like that.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:25 pm
I quoted the part that I found insulting and offensive. If you’d bothered to read the thread and the comments from myself & jedi_master last night then I’m sure as hell baffled that you could post something like that.
I didnt read it all sorry, I rarely do, I just commented after seeing someone ask who are on these groups, then proceeded to give my opinion on what he said, and ask questions to see if I could get a constructive answer to my questions.

Ive also applied to a couple if these fan groups, but sadly I've been either too late or not selected, so always interested as to how they select these people, find it hard to believe its randomly generated from season ticket holders. There must be some selection process, as I'm yet to meet anyone I know be successful and That's from a wide range of people at different ages, sexes, location and time supporting us.

Keep up the good work, hopefully some of these lengthy ongoing issues get sorted.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:43 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:38 pm
I didnt read it all sorry, I rarely do, I just commented after seeing someone ask who are on these groups, then proceeded to give my opinion on what he said, and ask questions to see if I could get a constructive answer to my questions.

Ive also applied to a couple if these fan groups, but sadly I've been either too late or not selected, so always interested as to how they select these people, find it hard to believe its randomly generated from season ticket holders. There must be some selection process, as I'm yet to meet anyone I know be successful and That's from a wide range of people at different ages, sexes, location and time supporting us.

Keep up the good work, hopefully some of these lengthy ongoing issues get sorted.
Yet you saw fit to make the comment about selection and type of people despite not having read the thread. Incredible.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:43 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 pm
Nope, once I see a question or post that I need yo answer, give an opinion or have a response to, I quote that there and then, I dont really read through all the posts then go back.

Imagine reading every post on every page befor answering someone, its take forever.

Excellent, like I said I hope that wasnt the case as that can be with these certain groups ( Burnley fan groups or otherwise)
Hopefully these issues some fans have been suffering with for several seasons get sorted soon.
Keep up the good work.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Yet you saw fit to make the comment about selection and type of people despite not having read the thread. Incredible.
Yep I read a post and responded to that post, as often similar groups are made up of the people I described, I did add hopefully this wasnt the case.
Thankfully Jedi answered this isnt the case with him, so hopefully the issues that have been going on several season will now get sorted sooner rather than later.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:47 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:45 pm
Yep I read a post and responded to that post, as often similar groups are made up of the people I described, I did add hopefully this wasnt the case.
Thankfully Jedi answered this isnt the case with him, so hopefully the issues that have been going on several season will now get sorted sooner rather than later.
And if you’d read the thread you would have seen it wasn’t the case. But no, you choose to insult people and, as a result, it’s ruined this thread.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:50 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:10 pm
He will skip past anything sensible. That’s what he does sadly.
I dont, I challenge things there and then, and comment with my views.
Hopefully theyll be similar minded people on this group that challenge the powers that be and are not afraid to ask probing or difficult questions

An open question and answers session with the manager, players or chairman is always better when theres a voice capable of asking a few questions the rest wont or cant. The idea is to get answers to things that havent been answered a thousand and one times.
It's always more informative that way.

Hopefully this is the case, and I look forward to great results everyones hard work deserves.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:47 pm
And if you’d read the thread you would have seen it wasn’t the case. But no, you choose to insult people and, as a result, it’s ruined this thread.
Ruined it is a bit harsh. I posted once, I've only continued to to answer the quotes off others.

I get you're insulted, as maybe is Jedi, but I've given my reasons, and I'd think theres others who thought similar or wanted similar questions answering.

I'm insulted daily on the board too, but I wouldn't ever say its ruined the thread or say their option is silly as it differs from my own.

How boring would the world be if we all had the same opinion and all agreed?
Nothing would get done.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:07 pm
I am interested in understanding more about the
Burnley FC Supporters’ Board; its composition, remit, frequency of meeting, activities etc. I note that applications were invited back in July 2019 when Dave Baldwin was in office but there is no information on the Club website subsequent to that, including the Supporters Clubs page. In the interest of transparency I have written to the Supporter Liaison Officer at the Club to understand if more details are available.
I said I would share and I received the following reply today:

"Apologies for the delay in reply and thankyou for your email

Currently the supporters board are in the process of designing a website with connected social media and email accounts, it will hold the public minutes and advise of future meetings scheduled, it’s been somewhat an unusual period in terms of forming the committee structure, holding meeting and actions so the planned launch has been somewhat delayed as its driven by volunteers as understandably priorities have been elsewhere. In saying that I’m meeting with some members next week and will forward that the board prioritise a launch supported by contacts , if there is anything you would like to be put to them then I’m more than happy to take a questions or concern to them, or of course if you prefer you can address to myself."

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:43 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 am
I said I would share and I received the following reply today:

"Apologies for the delay in reply and thankyou for your email

Currently the supporters board are in the process of designing a website with connected social media and email accounts, it will hold the public minutes and advise of future meetings scheduled, it’s been somewhat an unusual period in terms of forming the committee structure, holding meeting and actions so the planned launch has been somewhat delayed as its driven by volunteers as understandably priorities have been elsewhere. In saying that I’m meeting with some members next week and will forward that the board prioritise a launch supported by contacts , if there is anything you would like to be put to them then I’m more than happy to take a questions or concern to them, or of course if you prefer you can address to myself."
It's good to hear that because the supporters board don't know that at all