Supporters Groups back call for full television coverage

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Re: Supporters Groups back call for full television coverage

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:12 pm
I imagine there will be loads. Not every week but there's a whole host of reasons why.

Those who have to travel a long distance, games where the weather is terrible, looking after young children, night games, away games, those who just go on the odd game, families for whom the cost is too high, those who can't get tickets (maybe not big for us but big for other teams) etc.

You only have to look at the board and people asking for a stream each match to see that the demand is there. Personally I watch most home games online because otherwise the cost and time involved would be writing off most weekends during the season.

Maybe the genie would go back in the bottle but there are other trends, such as working from home and online shopping, where they are not expecting things to ever return to the pre-lockdown situation, this could be another.

Clubs such as Liverpool and Man Utd would love the chance to start selling rights to their games on a subscription basis.
You've taken my post somewhat out of context

theboydonegood
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by theboydonegood » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Speaking of supporters clubs - any idea where non supporters club members can see the minutes of the meetings between the club and the supporters club bodies?
TBDG

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm
You've taken my post somewhat out of context
I don't think so, the post you first replied to gave some of the same reasons as I did.

Regardless, there are reasons why screening every game may cause football, and Burnley in particular, problems further down the line.

They may be remote enough that you feel they shouldn't impact on the decision but they are there.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm

For me it would only be a temporary measure, watching online. Even then, I'm not that fussed about it. Watching games on TV with empty stadiums is pretty dull, even when we're playing.

I'd be more excited about going away to watch us live at say, Doncaster in the League Cup second round than I would about seeing a live stream of us playing Man Utd in the Prem from my sofa. I suppose the only thing that might break the habit of going to the Turf is if I get used to paying £5 a ticket at non-league, having a pint at pitch-side and walking home in 5 minutes.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:46 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm
For me it would only be a temporary measure, watching online. Even then, I'm not that fussed about it. Watching games on TV with empty stadiums is pretty dull, even when we're playing.

I'd be more excited about going away to watch us live at say, Doncaster in the League Cup second round than I would about seeing a live stream of us playing Man Utd in the Prem from my sofa. I suppose the only thing that might break the habit of going to the Turf is if I get used to paying £5 a ticket at non-league, having a pint at pitch-side and walking home in 5 minutes.
And the campaign is for a temporary measure to ensure supporters get to see games that they are now unable to see. I don't think anyone would see this, or want to see it, continuing once we can all return to the games safely.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Yeah, I agree, a decent short term solution for those fans who HAVE to see every game. I can imagine how hard it must be to miss out after years of watching every minute. But hopefully it gets binned as soon as we're back in. You just know the big clubs have wanted this for ages, it'll be hard to get them to give it up.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm

The reality is not only is the experience far better being there live. Its also far better watching on TV when there are fans there live.

It will never stay this way. Its a temporary situation.

I agree some might prefer to watch online. Most will want to go more than ever. I imagine there will be a boom to a degree!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:10 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm
The reality is not only is the experience far better being there live. Its also far better watching on TV when there are fans there live.

It will never stay this way. Its a temporary situation.

I agree some might prefer to watch online. Most will want to go more than ever. I imagine there will be a boom to a degree!
I don’t know whether there will be a boon. I can only speak for myself but I am missing being there more than I ever thought I would. But being able to watch on tv, albeit it in empty grounds, at least enabled me to see the games. It’s not the same though and I’m sure thousands of others who support the different clubs will feel the same.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:14 pm

I don't particularly see this as a threat. The revenue from the additional 160 games on PPV should go into the central pot and be apportioned according to the existing revenue share agreement. I recognise there may be some tweaks needed but there is no reason why it should lead to a wholesale change in the underlying principles.

The clubs that want a stronger link between viewing figures and revenue will always want that. The technoligy exists to make this a reality already but there are other reasons why it has been resisted. We will always have to fight to maintain the current distribution but I don't see why these 160 games shift the dial.

I also think there is a conflation of issues. Quite a few posters are citing the benefits of watching games on TV, such as reduced travel, but drawing the conclusion that it isn't right. It's almost as though there has to be a masochistic price for watching a game of football. It's OK if you prefer to watch it on TV for whatever reason. Others will still want to attend and help generate the atmosphere that enhances the TV experience. If that begins to change then the cost of attending will reduce or more of the armchair fans may be tempted back to experience the live atmosphere. This aspect of the argument feels like Canute holding back the tide.

Personally, I will attend when it is safe to do so as I much prefer the atmosphere of a live game. I would welcome the opportunity to watch a legal stream when I can't attend for whatever reason. Will this lead to a reduction in overall PL revenues? Maybe, but only if we are saying that the PL is currently overvalued and we the fans are paying too much to watch it through existing broadcasting channels. Our revenue will reduce if the cost of watching reduces. That would result in more money in your pocket and less in the pockets of PL footballers. It is important that we fight to receive a close to even distribution of TV revenues but that is not the same as being fixated by the overall size of the pie.

However, the campaign is limited to getting these 160 games on TV during an unprecedented pandemic. It's about giving joy to people in challenging times. You might not agree with much of what I have said but these are exceptional times and we should recognise this is an exceptional solution. In my opinion we should be able to support this campaign whilst also defending our longer term competitiveness.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:10 pm
I don’t know whether there will be a boon. I can only speak for myself but I am missing being there more than I ever thought I would. But being able to watch on tv, albeit it in empty grounds, at least enabled me to see the games. It’s not the same though and I’m sure thousands of others who support the different clubs will feel the same.
Pretty much the same for me.

Initially was well I didn’t miss it as much as I thought I would.

But as times gone on definitely have. Its routine. It’s seeing my family before during and after the game. It’s the time I spend with people I don’t otherwise see together. And it’s the chat in the build up and afterwards that I miss. You don’t realise how much those 90 minutes actually affect the rest of your week.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:06 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 pm
It’s seeing my family before during and after the game. It’s the time I spend with people I don’t otherwise see together.
That's absolutely bang on for me. I sit next to my brother; I've seen him twice, and only briefly, since the Spurs game. It's my friends who I see on home games and travel with to away games. I've not seen any of them either. I prefer the away games to home games and for me it is the occasion every bit as much as the 90 minutes. The people I'm not seeing, they are the important people in my life.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Football League deal with Sky now confirmed with words from a very familiar name

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... SApp_Other
These 2 users liked this post: Duffer_ cricketfieldclarets

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:03 pm

A sensible temporary solution and the sky hasn't fallen in.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:03 pm
A sensible temporary solution and the sky hasn't fallen in.
The EFL has a good chief exec from my point of view. Having worked with him over a period of more than five years I believe he's the best we've had at Burnley by a country mile.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:46 pm

I met Dave Baldwin once maybe twice. And was a likeable chap who was clearly very good at what he does. Good luck to him.

On the fan front / tv deal - sensible for all concerned.

On fans returning - apparently Brighton will have 2500 at this weekends friendly if permitted.