Last night of the Proms

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Re: Last night of the Proms

Post by Greenmile » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:08 am

Damo wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:33 pm
No pal. I'm not against all pressure groups. Just the ones who want to stifle freedom of speech.
I'm happy, for example, for a pressure group to lobby a government to stop genocidal acts, or to stop torturing people etc.
I'm not a fan of pressure groups who just exist to prevent someone expressing an opinion, to stop them saying something some people don't want to hear or to shut down debate or whatever.
I tend to take each pressure group on merit I suppose.
So thats a no for your question about having an issue with pressure groups that I like
You seem to really struggle with this whole “freedom of speech” thing.

Why shouldn’t Stop Funding Hate have the freedom to say “hey advertisers, look at all these hateful things the people you’re paying to advertise with are saying” or “hey consumers, look at the things the companies where you spend your money are funding with their advertising budget”? It’s hardly shouting “fire” in a crowded theatre, is it?

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 am

Greenmile wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:08 am
You seem to really struggle with this whole “freedom of speech” thing.

Why shouldn’t Stop Funding Hate have the freedom to say “hey advertisers, look at all these hateful things the people you’re paying to advertise with are saying” or “hey consumers, look at the things the companies where you spend your money are funding with their advertising budget”? It’s hardly shouting “fire” in a crowded theatre, is it?
Hang on, where have I said they don't have the right to say that?
I mean, I've said several times that I don't like the way they harass companies into not advertising in certain publications, because they don't like what they have to say, but me not liking the way the go about shutting down debate certainly doesn't remove any rights they have.
My point, and I'd expect it to be pretty clear to someone like you who constantly tells people they struggle with things, is that I'm pleased that these publications and companies have realised that a few moonbats with lots of free time on their hands don't represent a big enough portion of society to actually affect sales and footfall.
Infact, quite the opposite.

What is it about that that you seem to struggle with?

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:15 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:00 am
I’ve never said billionaires own all the press. The owner of the Daily Mail isn’t a billionaire, but a few hundred million short.

The Guardian is probably our best national paper. Honest, forthright, and not plagued by the scandals exposed by Leveson. Not to your liking from a political persuasion, but you can’t have everything. And we’re they slavers? Bring it out into the open, I say. All of it.
I never said you did pal

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:34 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:00 am
I’ve never said billionaires own all the press. The owner of the Daily Mail isn’t a billionaire, but a few hundred million short.

The Guardian is probably our best national paper. Honest, forthright, and not plagued by the scandals exposed by Leveson. Not to your liking from a political persuasion, but you can’t have everything. And we’re they slavers? Bring it out into the open, I say. All of it.
Is it the best paper because its the one most closely aligned with your views?

Yes the original owner of the Guardian made his fortune through links to the slave trade.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:34 am

Yes the original owner of the Guardian made his fortune through links to the slave trade.
And what were these links precisely?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 am

martin_p wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 am
And what were these links precisely?
He made his money from the cotton trade..

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:04 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:34 am

It’s the best paper in terms of quality. You can read it knowing you’re not being fed the agenda of a rich owner. The Times and the Telegraph used to have reputations for honest news too, but no longer. Do you want honest news, or news that a rich person wants you to have? For me it’s a very straightforward answer.

I have other news sources, but I have absolutely no trust in most of the British press. And I’m in a majority when it comes to that.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:51 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:04 am
It’s the best paper in terms of quality. You can read it knowing you’re not being fed the agenda of a rich owner. The Times and the Telegraph used to have reputations for honest news too, but no longer. Do you want honest news, or news that a rich person wants you to have? For me it’s a very straightforward answer.

I have other news sources, but I have absolutely no trust in most of the British press. And I’m in a majority when it comes to that.
Yes there's no agenda at all in the guardian or from its contributors, including the famously neutral Ash and Owen....

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:21 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:51 pm
Yes there's no agenda at all in the guardian or from its contributors, including the famously neutral Ash and Owen....
I’ve said you won’t like the politics, but at least the journalism is honest. As compared to the rightwing press.

If you prefer your news spoonfed by a billionaire, then go for it. I’d much rather find out what is actually happening.

And this left wing agenda is serving who? There’s no left wing billionaire waiting in the wings to take over. We are the people.

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:21 am
I’ve said you won’t like the politics, but at least the journalism is honest. As compared to the rightwing press.

If you prefer your news spoonfed by a billionaire, then go for it. I’d much rather find out what is actually happening.

And this left wing agenda is serving who? There’s no left wing billionaire waiting in the wings to take over. We are the people.
There are papers run by people who aren't billionaires. Whose fault is it that no-one wants to read them?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:54 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:21 am

The Guardian is no more honest than any other paper when it comes to political views.
It's littered with lefty columnists because its a left leaning paper.

You like it because it aligns with your very left wing political views.

In regards to your We are the people comment, I've no idea what you're on about there.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:08 am

I see Lawrence Fox is starting up a new political party to fight these culture wars :lol: :lol: :lol: When people campaign against him and choose not to vote for him I cant even start to imagine the levels of victimhood and crying he will come out with about everyone is cancelling him.

Im sure the woke police and culture war generals on here will keep us up to date and tell us how you cant even run a 3rd rate political party these days without getting cancelled by those nasty lefties :D

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:01 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:54 am
The Guardian is no more honest than any other paper when it comes to political views.
It's littered with lefty columnists because its a left leaning paper.

You like it because it aligns with your very left wing political views.

In regards to your We are the people comment, I've no idea what you're on about there.
The Guardian has mostly left wing opinion, but it reports on news honestly. The billionaire owned press do not report the news honestly. There is plenty of evidence of this. That’s the difference I’m talking about. If you want to be informed of what is going on then you could read the Guardian news, and not bother with Guardian opinion pieces.

It’s hardly a surprise that rightwing newspapers reflect the opinions of and look after the interests of their billionaire owners. It’s also true that the opinions and interests of billionaires aren’t always aligned with those of ordinary people (in fact they’re often contrary). Whose interests are the Guardian supporting? Whose interests do left wing people have in mind when they put forward left wing ideas?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:59 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:01 pm
The Guardian has mostly left wing opinion, but it reports on news honestly. The billionaire owned press do not report the news honestly. There is plenty of evidence of this. That’s the difference I’m talking about. If you want to be informed of what is going on then you could read the Guardian news, and not bother with Guardian opinion pieces.

It’s hardly a surprise that rightwing newspapers reflect the opinions of and look after the interests of their billionaire owners. It’s also true that the opinions and interests of billionaires aren’t always aligned with those of ordinary people (in fact they’re often contrary). Whose interests are the Guardian supporting? Whose interests do left wing people have in mind when they put forward left wing ideas?
We aren't going to agree on this, you're a lefty with a stonking great hard on for a lefty newspaper and it'd probably your fapping material, such is your love for it.

You've probably got pics of Ash & Owen by your bed.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:59 pm
We aren't going to agree on this, you're a lefty with a stonking great hard on for a lefty newspaper and it'd probably your fapping material, such is your love for it.

You've probably got pics of Ash & Owen by your bed.
Mature.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm
Mature.
Thanks, I do try to maintain a reasonable level of decorum

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:02 am

I see Laurence Fox, who has been complaining about "cancel culture", is trying to convince people not to shop at Sainsbury's as they are supporting black history month.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:27 am

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:34 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:27 am
https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/1 ... n.html?m=1
Not looking good for Fox.
Sounds like some of the posters on here!