A year ago to the day Ben Stokes performed the miracle of Headingley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

A year ago to the day Ben Stokes performed the miracle of Headingley

Post by tiger76 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:09 pm

Due to the lack of play, they've been musing over that extraordinary afternoon in the 3rd test last summer, when the Aussies somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The Lyon drop, and the burning of the referral, then the plum LBW not given in the next over topped the day off, it's always funny to see the Aussies imploding, and losing their rag in the field.

Amazing to think that was a year ago already given everything that has happened since, and that was on top of the incredible world cup final just weeks before, what I noted listening to the commentary was the factor that the fans played in that occasion, it just goes to show how much their interaction is sorely missed in sporting events.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: A year ago to the day Ben Stokes performed the miracle of Headingley

Post by MACCA » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:14 pm

I also watched it, very good watch and still unbelievable swings 1 way to the other watching it back knowing the result.
It had everything, and possibly one of the greatest knocks under the circumstances I've seen.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Mentioned in my on this day thread at
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49353

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:19 pm

I watched most of the innings in the Lounge bar in Benalmadena, quaffing a few ice cold Mahous in the air conditioning. It was a cracking day out.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:12 pm

25 August can now add Jimmy's 600th test wicket to it's archive, not a bad date in English cricketing history.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:19 pm

These things keep falling on my boy's birthday

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:33 pm

I am very very fortunate to be able to say I was there.... got tickets late for me and DavePTClaret to go from one of the resale sites - and they weren't cheap. I was working on the Friday, in a meeting with potential suppliers who were bidding for business. My watch was going off like mad, and I could just see the rants on whatsapp as bad wicket after bad wicket fell. By the time I got to the airport Australia were already 6 down in their 2nd innings, and there was a real danger that there may not even be a day 3, and we were planning on putting suits into hand luggage to be able to get into York races in case the game ended early.

Got to the Oak in Headingley on Friday evening, watched the remainder of the day's play in the beer garden, and out into Headingley for a night out. Up early on Saturday to walk from the hotel to the ground, stopping for a breakfast roll on the way into the ground. Told Dave we'd bowl them out for a lead of 350 and then knock them off..... but really I didn't believe it, and we went more for a day on the beer and to have a laugh. Bowled them out for a lead of 359, and then batted really well on the Saturday. Had a big night out on the Saturday night in Leeds, and actually felt pretty confident England would win.

Sunday morning, up extra early, breakfast in the hotel, then walked to the ground. It was really busy, there were huge queue's to get in the ground at 10am. Got in, got our seats, and saw England start well. After the loss of Buttler however, I couldn't see any way England could win. Obviously I was wrong, and the atmosphere built and built, with an incredible contrast in silence as the bowlers ran in, with a huge roar after every delivery. I was sat with my head in my hands when the throw went in to Lyon for the run out, I was muttering I can't believe they've lost when they've got so close, Dave was screaming "He's f***ing dropped it" repeatedly. What an incredible finish. Stayed behind for all of the interviews and presentations, and then back to the Original Oak to have a few beers and let the win sink in, with everybody in the place (Except the odd aussie) beaming from ear to ear.

I can honestly say, that above any sporting occasion - be it Burnley winning the Playoffs at Wembley, or my own horse winning / running well at the Cheltenham festival, or Ryder Cup in Ireland in 2006, this match outstripped all of them for the emotional roller coaster that it took us on. I can't tell you how many times I have watched the highlights back, the occasional full replay of the whole day, or the TMS podcast of the last hour. Every time the hair stands up on the back of my neck.
This user liked this post: bodge

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:24 pm

We’d just parked up at Wolves when the 9th wicket went down. As we got closer and closer I just kept thinking that the closer we got the worse it would be when the wicket fell.

I’d got onto the concourse at Molineux when the winning run was scored and it just erupted. Must have been brilliant to be there but for a cricket fan one of those moments when you will always remember where you were at the time.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:58 pm

My father in law is a YCC member and has been going on for years. He took the mother in law to that game.

I’ve never been a massive cricket fan but I watch the whole day on the edge of my seat.

Love test cricket now but doubt il ever seen anything that dramatic again

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Inchy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:58 pm
My father in law is a YCC member and has been going on for years. He took the mother in law to that game.

I’ve never been a massive cricket fan but I watch the whole day on the edge of my seat.

Love test cricket now but doubt il ever seen anything that dramatic again
Test cricket can be fantastic. It was nothing like that day at Leeds last year but the last day of the first test against Pakistan a couple of weeks ago at Old Trafford was brilliant to watch.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:35 pm

I was there.....the day before. Oh well it was roasting hot and for any self respecting Burnley fan watching Stokes and Root block away and defend like mad was far more enjoyable than watching Stokes go all out attack smashing it everywhere to win the match

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:45 pm

I made the mistake of attending day 2 - bowled out for 67. Horrible day’s cricket but an absolute scorcher of a day.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:17 pm

Was a truly stunning test match. Cricket is just wonderful.

Hopey
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by Hopey » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:29 pm

I was there. Mental.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Has to rank as the best sporting feat I have ever witnessed (albeit from my front room).

I recommend the Amazon series ‘The Test’ To any cricket fan if you’ve not seen it. It’s a fly-on-the-wall doc charting Australia’s renaissance after the sandpaper scandal and Justin Langer taking over the reins. Seeing how the Aussie’s dealt with Stokes’s knock from their dressing room was tremendous. They were also galvanised by it. JL made the team sit through the last 15 overs the day after and the way the touring squad reacted made sure they were more on their game in the following test at Old Trafford than we were, sadly.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:24 am

Was there sat next to a particularly cocky group of Aussies who wouldn’t shut up about how well they had played when we lost our 9th wicket, only for them to get quieter and quieter for the next 45 minutes or so. It doesn’t get any sweeter. Crowd was incredible as well - better than you’ll ever see at a cricket ground.