Talk sport

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Talk sport

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:08 am

Try not to listen to it. And definitely try not to get wound up by it. But it’s just come on about American sports stars boycotting professional sport due to the latest shootings in America.

Talk sport have just had a guest on (black Paralympic athlete) who wants England to boycott the nations league and English football to follow.

Not sure who the co presenter is but he articulated why that’s a dangerous precedent to set and why America is so different to here. Well worth a listen.

He didn’t beat around the bush and didn’t pander to political correctness. But did so in a really good way. Also addressed head on the fact that many of these recent incidents are people who aren’t pillars of society. And are actually career criminals.

Difficult subject to address. Especially right now. But for once talksprt worth listening to.

cricketfieldclarets

Re: Talk sport

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 am

It’s Simon Jordan.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 am

Not listened to Simon Jordan before. But very impressed with him.

He was respectful, articulate but also direct and honest. What’s he doing on talksport? :lol:

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am

It's about time that someone actually called it for what it is. Sick to the back teeth of all this now. It wouldn't surprise me if Matt le tissiers very fair comments on BLM was one of the reasons for his sacking too.
These 3 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Top Claret Dazzler

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am
It's about time that someone actually called it for what it is. Sick to the back teeth of all this now. It wouldn't surprise me if Matt le tissiers very fair comments on BLM was one of the reasons for his sacking too.
What impact does “all this” have on you day to day?

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:36 am

agreenwood wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 am
It will certainly have an impact on Matt Le Tissier.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:36 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 am
Not listened to Simon Jordan before. But very impressed with him.

He was respectful, articulate but also direct and honest. What’s he doing on talksport? :lol:
He's usually the best person to listen too on there in all fairness.
Doesn't generally beat around the bush etc.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:37 am

Everyone's free to do what they want. If players feel strongly about it then cool.

I do wonder about why it's events in the US in particular that we're aggrieved about. I remember the stony silence - or even reprimands - that Mezut Ozil faced when he highlighted the very serious plight of millions of Uighurs in China.

Let's protest them all, not just the ones which appear on English speaking news channels from places we've heard of, supported by glamorous sports stars we've seen on telly with a handy hashtag.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:37 am
Everyone's free to do what they want. If players feel strongly about it then cool.

I do wonder about why it's events in the US in particular that we're aggrieved about. I remember the stony silence - or even reprimands - that Mezut Ozil faced when he highlighted the very serious plight of millions of Uighurs in China.

Let's protest them all, not just the ones which appear on English speaking news channels from places we've heard of, supported by glamorous sports stars we've seen on telly with a handy hashtag.
Spot on.

The interviewer when pressed by Jordan said it’s exactly the same here as it is in America. Which evidently it’s not.

But. Why stop at America. What about Hong Kong. Crimea. Venezuela. North Korea. Etc.

And why not address the issues in those communities. People shouldn’t be being shot and killed. But equally the issues within certain communities also needs addressing by those protesting on their behalf.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:46 am

Thank god for multi media and 24 hour world news,without these we wouldn't know what was going on in the world.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:46 am

I'm not quite sure what an England team boycotting a European tournament achieves in tackling an American issue but these radio stations must love getting a guest to blow the dog whistle.

I can picture Gary, the West Ham fan almost crashing his white van in desperation to phone in.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:50 am

I absolutely agree with the NBA teams choosing to not play the play-off game. It keeps happening again and again in America and It’s no wonder people are taking drastic action.

However, the policing situation in the US is very different from the UK. The issues over there don’t really correspond to the problems we have with policing in the UK (and don’t compare at all imo). Any direct action taken by teams or sports in the UK would seem a bit pointless.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 am

it was a ridiculous point made by the guest speaker.
he suggested all prominent sportsmen should refuse to participate in their chosen events until political change was made to ensure no further incidents took place. He said ronnie o' sullivan should do the same, and tyson fury, and that if they refused to play their sports, and no action was forthcoming from the powers that be, then they should continue to boycott their sporting commitments indefinately. The idea being that sportsmen are so powerful, that the governments stance would crumble.
His argument didnt take into account people involved might have a differing point of view on all this.
In addition, as someone mentioned above on this post, what about all the other issues globally ? why just this .
when has there been a time when the garden was all rosy and the world was a safe and fair place.
Famine, wars, despotic rulers, millions facing starvation on a daily basis, refugee camps, displaced families. No access to medical aid ...the list is endless. But seemingly none of those matters enough to organise a withdrawal from sport.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets gandhisflipflop Dazzler Leisure

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 am
he suggested all prominent sportsmen should refuse to participate in their chosen events until political change was made to ensure no further incidents took place. He said ronnie o' sullivan should do the same, and tyson fury, and that if they refused to play their sports, and no action was forthcoming from the powers that be, then they should continue to boycott their sporting commitments indefinately. The idea being that sportsmen are so powerful, that the governments stance would crumble.
His argument didnt take into account people involved might have a differing point of view on all this.
In addition, as someone mentioned above on this post, what about all the other issues globally ? why just this .
when has there been a time when the garden was all rosy and the world was a safe and fair place.
Famine, wars, despotic rulers, millions facing starvation on a daily basis, refugee camps, displaced families. No access to medical aid ...the list is endless. But seemingly none of those matters enough to organise a withdrawal from sport.
Talksport superfan alert.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:03 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am
If you are sick to the back teeth then why are you not criticising Ben Mee for his stance taken after the Man City game?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:05 pm

family cat, i play ARSENAL bingo once a day, its a game i devised . I turn it on and listen for a mention of arsenal within one minute at a random time. then i switch it off. I usually hear them referred to by someone and award myself a point.
this morning it just happened to be this topic.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:08 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:05 pm
family cat, i play ARSENAL bingo once a day, its a game i devised . I turn it on and listen for a mention of arsenal within one minute at a random time. then i switch it off. I usually hear them referred to by someone and award myself a point.
this morning it just happened to be this topic.
Everyone needs a hobby.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:17 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:46 am
I'm not quite sure what an England team boycotting a European tournament achieves in tackling an American issue but these radio stations must love getting a guest to blow the dog whistle.

I can picture Gary, the West Ham fan almost crashing his white van in desperation to phone in.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 am
Spot on.

On the Last Dance documentary with Michael Jordan. Shows how he was pillared for not joining a black politicians campaign back in the 90s. His argument was - why would I support something I dont understand or even believe in.

Spot on from Jordan but he got pelters for it.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm

I used to think that Jordan was a bit of a bell end when he was the Palace owner, turning up Turf Moor for a Tuesday night game in his bright suit and with his perms tan.

He doesn’t half talk some sense though - I’ve a lot of time for hearing his views. Shame the rest of Talk Sport can’t learn a few lessons from him!!

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:41 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm
I used to think that Jordan was a bit of a bell end when he was the Palace owner, turning up Turf Moor for a Tuesday night game in his bright suit and with his perms tan.

He doesn’t half talk some sense though - I’ve a lot of time for hearing his views. Shame the rest of Talk Sport can’t learn a few lessons from him!!
I agree he's a good presenter. I don't always agree with his views, but he puts them across very eloquently and always explains the reasons for his views.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:41 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 am
SSN for example has been a very big part of my life for some years now. If there was nothing on in the evening after work, I'll put SSN on. These past few months I've found myself having to turn the TV off due to the constant beating of the BLM drum. This has been done to death on here many times, but when presenters are openly referring to a black power salute as they have been doing, I draw the line. This is just a further extension on the George Floyd case to keep it relevant.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:46 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:03 pm
If you are sick to the back teeth then why are you not criticising Ben Mee for his stance taken after the Man City game?
Because then the point was still being made. I totally disagreed with the banner, and also the kneeling for the BLM movement. I also think, in my opinion, that Ben Mee totally misunderstood what the BLM movement actually stands for and his viewpoint was from an anti racism one which I'm sure we all on here fully support. There are ways to tackle racism, and we already have institutions such as kick it out to do this, one which I fully support. So from Ben Mees anti racist viewpoint, I am with him but as for the BLM, no sorry I'm not. We are one race. The human race.
Last edited by gandhisflipflop on Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:47 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:41 pm
SSN for example has been a very big part of my life for some years now. If there was nothing on in the evening after work, I'll put SSN on. These past few months I've found myself having to turn the TV off due to the constant beating of the BLM drum.
Sounds like you could do with writing in to Dear Deirdre, she's well good at helping people through relationship trouble :lol: :lol: :lol:

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:51 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:47 pm
Sounds like you could do with writing in to Dear Deirdre, she's well good at helping people through relationship trouble :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are comfortable with presenters openly using the term black power on national television and singling out who has kneeled and who hasn't then fair enough, I like many others I suspect aren't. No dear Deirdre required, just sharing my thoughts with other supporters on this messageboard. That will do.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:52 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:41 pm
SSN for example has been a very big part of my life for some years now. If there was nothing on in the evening after work, I'll put SSN on. These past few months I've found myself having to turn the TV off due to the constant beating of the BLM drum. This has been done to death on here many times, but when presenters are openly referring to a black power salute as they have been doing, I draw the line. This is just a further extension on the George Floyd case to keep it relevant.
I listened to Radio 5 Live for years, but haven’t been overly enamoured with the changes made in the last few years. The move to a younger, more banter-based approach isn’t interesting to me.

Times change tho. Nothing stays the same forever and I’m happy to accept that if mainstream media doesn’t adapt, they’ll eventually disappear anyway.

Just change your habits. There’s never been more options in terms of what you watch and listen to.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Apologies to the OP if I've gone off on a tangent somewhat. I just feel the two are connected. I fully support Jordans comments.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 190 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Radio lancashire in our house utc

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:41 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:51 pm
If you are comfortable with presenters openly using the term black power on national television and singling out who has kneeled and who hasn't then fair enough, I like many others I suspect aren't. No dear Deirdre required, just sharing my thoughts with other supporters on this messageboard. That will do.
Please for your own sake dont throw away your treasured relationship with Sky Sports over a little tiff. You will only regret it if you do something rash 💔

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm

You are typical of an up your own arse lefty DA. It's little wonder people of your mindset aren't taken seriously in elections.
These 2 users liked this post: Anonymous Top Claret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:09 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:46 pm
We are one race. The human race.
What do you then say to players such as Tyrone Mings who feel they have been racially abused, especially in some Eastern European countries, when they feel they have the right to walk off the pitch during a game?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:25 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm
You are typical of an up your own arse lefty DA. It's little wonder people of your mindset aren't taken seriously in elections.
There there my dear, chin up ✊🏿BLM

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:37 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Take no notice Flipflop, DA has been filmed out jogging today.
9A40CC81-6806-419C-96F3-660AACE7F2CC.gif
9A40CC81-6806-419C-96F3-660AACE7F2CC.gif (108.22 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:25 pm
There there my dear, chin up ✊🏿BLM
Ah our anti semitic, anti western, anti capitalist, anarchist dear right on friend right on cue. Good one. Keep it up IT

Oh by the way is it Black or the latest Blue wave? The worlds gone mad. Trump will walk it just watch.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:51 pm

The fan club are out in force :lol: :lol: :lol:

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:54 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:09 pm
What do you then say to players such as Tyrone Mings who feel they have been racially abused, especially in some Eastern European countries, when they feel they have the right to walk off the pitch during a game?

I feel that has been answered further up. I say to mings you shouldn't be subjected to such abuse which is abhorrent in this day and age and refer him to the already established kick it out campaign for help.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1041 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Aside from all the usual nonsense on this thread.

How would we know if England were boycotting a competition, they haven’t turned up for one for about 30 years and haven’t looked like winning one for over 50 years. :D

Never liked Simon Jordan when I was a lot younger but he does talk a lot of sense, pity it’s on such a vacuous radio station or I would listen more, his autobiography is an enlightening read on how not to run a football club.