Significant changes to commercial radio in the next 24 hours

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4834 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Significant changes to commercial radio in the next 24 hours

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 pm

I live in Leeds I’m in the last decade or so, I’ve connected with a few of the local radio presenters, be it through just talking football or having met them personally through work (my primary school literally falls next door to BBC Leeds so often gets featured locally). Likewise I’ve spoken to staff at the local commercial radio station. All very pleasant, knowledgeable and happy to engage in conversation.

Tonight, many local presenters are sending out best wishes to colleagues who tomorrow, will be phased out of their positions In commercial radio, with new platforms becoming more regionalised, rather than local. I find that with such platforms, you genuinely feel like you know the presenter and that they know their audience: it’s sad that this is being lost, I assume countrywide.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Significant changes to commercial radio in the next 24 hours

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 pm

Happened this side of the Pennines last year after the expanded 2BR got absorbed by Heart FM

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 pm

I think I do recognise how valuable local radio is to many people, but from a personal point of view find it horrendous.
it seems to be an endless diet of 80's pop, and if commercial, swamped with inane ads with puerile jingles.
if its BBC, then its just vapid slop, yes, you might end up knowing the Grane road is shut, but the presenters are stuck in the past.

Also, seems to be a lot of hosts who yearn for the budgie loving granny appeal, graham (im so witty, but you're actually not , Liver springs to mind. insipid best describes most of it. or deadly dull, take your pick.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 pm
Happened this side of the Pennines last year after the expanded 2BR got absorbed by Heart FM
2BR was absorbed by Capital. I remember people complaining that 2BR was repetitive but Capital is truly dreadful. Plays more or less the same 10/15 songs round and round..mostly current chart dirges. A definite change for the worse. I remember 2BR starting up as being a local station amongst the national ones. Back to square one again and no local station.
RockFm2 changed to Greatest Hits. I think RockFM is still going albeit not from Preston anymore.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:41 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 pm
I think I do recognise how valuable local radio is to many people, but from a personal point of view find it horrendous.
it seems to be an endless diet of 80's pop, and if commercial, swamped with inane ads with puerile jingles.
if its BBC, then its just vapid slop, yes, you might end up knowing the Grane road is shut, but the presenters are stuck in the past.

Also, seems to be a lot of hosts who yearn for the budgie loving granny appeal, graham (im so witty, but you're actually not , Liver springs to mind. insipid best describes most of it. or deadly dull, take your pick.
What you having for tea ?? Springs to mind. Absolute dire local radio station.and repeated traffic up dates on how there was heavy traffic at gannow roundabout....Like it was the North Circular ffs!! :roll:

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:30 am

I’ve sympathy for anybody losing their job but if it is BBC local then the money can be better spent elsewhere. As with far too much BBC content, both TV and Radio, there are private companies doing the same programming just as well.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 354 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 am

I don’t know how people listen to commercial radio, it’s dross. Limited playlists, overhyped presenters, and repetitive adverts.

I remember a few years so tuning into RadioX - I was impressed with the playlist. They played Fat Lip by Sum 41 and I said to my mate “I’ve not heard this this in ages, it’s a good station is this”

They played it again the next day, and again, then again and again... you don’t need to hear Sum 41 everyday.

The regional ones are worse, your HeartFM and Capital’s and the like. I genuinely can’t listen to them.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:43 am

The English radio stations here have agadoo on the playlist so I give those a miss.

Instead I just stream Greatest Hits Radio Lancashire version from my phone to the car radio, does the job and makes use of my "basic" 20GB data allowance which otherwise I have no need for.

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Acting Claret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:45 am

United Djs for me, they play mainly old stuff. No adverts. Knowledgeable presenters, no playlists. You do not know what’s coming next. Its an internet station mainly.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:56 am

The traffic reporting on all local radio is crap
Stuck on yet another fake holdup on the M6 you struggle to find a traffic report explaining that you'd better get off on the A50asap
Smart motorway signings are useless too coming up with reports of everything from sheep to aliens on the carriageway

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:28 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 am
I don’t know how people listen to commercial radio, it’s dross. Limited playlists, overhyped presenters, and repetitive adverts.

I remember a few years so tuning into RadioX - I was impressed with the playlist. They played Fat Lip by Sum 41 and I said to my mate “I’ve not heard this this in ages, it’s a good station is this”

They played it again the next day, and again, then again and again... you don’t need to hear Sum 41 everyday.

The regional ones are worse, your HeartFM and Capital’s and the like. I genuinely can’t listen to them.
This. Agree that these stations are totally unlistenable. Until fairly recently I had a job that involved staying away in Premier Inn type hotels 2 or 4 nights a week and invariably had to suffer Heart FM over breakfast. Absolute inane drivel, punctuated by repetitive adverts, that only someone whose brain had partially rotted would be able to stand surely.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:06 am

Of all the commercial stations, Absolute is certainly the best. Two reasons really, On DAB you can pick your favoured decade music wise and within that they have the ‘no repeat guarantee’ between 9 and 5 each day so you won’t hear the same song.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:02 am

What a miserable bunch of whiney old timers you all come across as. Eeeh radio, not like it were in my day, Radio Luxembourg and Atlantic 252 with their vast array of songs and stuff put this lot to shame.

The world moves on, there's still a place for radio, and it's fundamentally no different now to how it was years ago, and it's probably maximised the capability of what it can do from a commercial viability / quality balance.

Eeeh stuff, it were better when I were a lad. In the same way you never realised the day that your parents stopped picking you up, sometimes you never realised the day that you got old.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:18 am

Radio X must only own about 20 albums. Their recent Top 100 British songs list was testament to this - they had 7 Oasis songs in the top 25 best British songs of all time.

burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by burnmark » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:29 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 am

I’ve listened to radio a lot more during Lockdown and I must say Radio X,despite being right up my street in regards to music taste very much repeat the same songs over and over again. As an alternative music station they don’t alternate the music very much! I’ve found XS Manchester to be much better.

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:31 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:02 am
What a miserable bunch of whiney old timers you all come across as. Eeeh radio, not like it were in my day, Radio Luxembourg and Atlantic 252 with their vast array of songs and stuff put this lot to shame.

The world moves on, there's still a place for radio, and it's fundamentally no different now to how it was years ago, and it's probably maximised the capability of what it can do from a commercial viability / quality balance.

Eeeh stuff, it were better when I were a lad. In the same way you never realised the day that your parents stopped picking you up, sometimes you never realised the day that you got old.
Sincerely hope that's not aimed at my moan about commercial, Heart FM, type radio as it's absolute and utter dross . Its absolutely othing to do with "then and now" as BBC 6Music is superb and I am a huge radio fan in general...just not formulaic, repetitive, play-listed-to-death commercial music stations.
This user liked this post: Sarum

Sarum
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 323 times

Post by Sarum » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:35 am

Stalbansclaret: hello, hope you're well and not climbing the walls every day. I have a link to a radio show that might be of interest to you. Are you still online?

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:11 am

I liked 6Music when it was an alternative/indie music station. Recent changes have seen it trying to be a 'please all' station while positioning itself between R1 and R2. Nowadays it's a bit too mainstream for me apart from Marc Riley and maybe one or two others who play new or underplayed alternative music and not the derivative stuff the station now seems to highlight.
Last edited by Billy Balfour on Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:12 am

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:31 am
Sincerely hope that's not aimed at my moan about commercial, Heart FM, type radio as it's absolute and utter dross . Its absolutely othing to do with "then and now" as BBC 6Music is superb and I am a huge radio fan in general...just not formulaic, repetitive, play-listed-to-death commercial music stations.
I like 6Music, but bloody hell the amount of self reverence it has gets old pretty quickly. If it could it would eat itself.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:14 am

Pop will eat itself.

Jel
Been Liked: 266 times
Has Liked: 1178 times

Post by Jel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 pm
Not really a loss, it was terrible!

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am

6 music is good but you’ve got to be selective. It’s far better on a Saturday than any other day now. Huey and Craig Charles are the highlights for me.

The playlist is generally hit and miss, but it does introduce me to stuff I wouldn’t otherwise listen to

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:33 am

I actually quite liked 2BR as at least it was genuinely local and some of the presenters had a decent, laidback style. It’s far worse now it’s been enveloped by Heart.

I love radio, more than TV even - something quite personal about it. I do like the Absolute stations, particularly Absolute 90’s. Yet at least have a no repeat guarantee during the day.

There’s also some great local stations online, playing some great alternative and underground stuff, not least Konflict Radio https://www.konflict-radio.co.uk/

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:46 am

Sarum wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:35 am
Stalbansclaret: hello, hope you're well and not climbing the walls every day. I have a link to a radio show that might be of interest to you. Are you still online?
Hello Sarum my friend..I am very well thanks and hope you are too. I tend to hop on and off here at various points during the day but if you want to email me I'm gary.hitchen3@gmail.com

Sarum
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 323 times

Post by Sarum » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:13 am

Hi St Albans. sending you a link to a show you might enjoy. When I see you next remind me to share my experience of Lindos 1974 - think Greek colonels, tanks, machine gunfire and tanks at the airport!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:34 am

burnmark wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:29 am
I’ve listened to radio a lot more during Lockdown and I must say Radio X,despite being right up my street in regards to music taste very much repeat the same songs over and over again. As an alternative music station they don’t alternate the music very much! I’ve found XS Manchester to be much better.

Agreed, Clint Boon is a good listen on XS
This user liked this post: burnmark

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:05 pm

XS manchester or radio Nova here in Dublin are my radio stations of choice. I think that the morning show on XS is decent, but think that Gareth Brooks and Clint Boon sessions are excellent. The show from Clint Boon on Saturday evening is regularly full of tunes I've never heard that are brilliant, or forgotten songs that are incredible. 7-10pm on a Saturday for anybody looking.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 pm

Can't bear LBC very educational especially James O'brien at 10am. Tells it how it is

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Bring back xfm with Ricky Gervais, Steven Merchant and Karl Pilkington

ClaretCraig
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by ClaretCraig » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:51 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:06 am
Of all the commercial stations, Absolute is certainly the best. Two reasons really, On DAB you can pick your favoured decade music wise and within that they have the ‘no repeat guarantee’ between 9 and 5 each day so you won’t hear the same song.
Absolute radio is great. 90s my favourite decade and the djs I've listened to are very good.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81