Is our club in deadlock by over achievement ??

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Is our club in deadlock by over achievement ??

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Promoted clubs are spending money left, right and centre - from SD viewpoint Sheff Utd spending 16m on a keeper, Villa 14m on a right back and Leeds bidding 25m for a centre half (they never got) must be frustrating especially as he has been vocal since April regarding squad size and quality.

The board quite rightly are looking at where Coventry, Sunderland, Wigan, Rovers, Charlton etc etc are and saying "beware overspending especially in covid year as this is what could happen to us. We could be next.

That leaves us with little options other than the recruitment team unearthing the gems we need transfer window after transfer window to fill the gaps SD feels need filling.

The recruitment team fully aware of the budget and wage limits have really limited options expect for Europe for value, leagues 1 and 2 looking for the little gems or maybe the few selling clubs in the championship.

We continually punch well above our weight in which we can be so proud of and that has been a club effort not just SD and the players.

We await the next chapter guys

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Re: Is our club in deadlock by over achievement ??

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:43 pm

nothing short of a miracle to have got where we are with our budget.
that said, I don't know how the clubs seek out talent from elsewhere. must be a high risk strategy. spend big and end up with a dud, or stick with what you have. can be problematic though, older players having to embark on a campaign in the toughest, most fitness driven league in world football.
Hats of to the club for maintaining our status in the top flight again, can't knock that.
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie k90bfc Damo KateR

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:53 pm

Spot on pal think miracle is the right word as well.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6903 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:59 pm

I personally feel that people are to obsessed about transfers. Why has the transfer window become a source of entertainment? We obviously need to add depth but we’re at the point where realistically we aren’t going to see players much better than what we have playing for our club. So people should start to be realistic and accept that transfer windows at Burnley are generally underwhelming.

On the other hand, the team has put in great performances on the pitch on a relatively consistent basis for a number of years now. That’s far more important to me.
These 4 users liked this post: boatshed bill k90bfc Damo Bosscat

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:01 pm

We've done the right thing by investing in the infrastructure. one has to believe that the development of our own players will bear fruit soon.
There's lots of lads getting time with the first team (training and friendlies) perhaps one or two will make the grade.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Thank God for some sensible comments at last. I'm fed up to the back teeth of all these so called experts who think we shoould take risks and throw money here, there and everywhere.

I think we've done some amazing things in the last ten years or so and the last thing I want us to do is take risks.

Oh, and it's not just under Sean that we've done well either. The current board has been amazing, a lot longer than Sean has been here.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Leisure
Been Liked: 3773 times
Has Liked: 12365 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 pm

[quote="Wile E Coyote" post_id=1357116 time=1599068619 user_id=663)
Hats of to the club for maintaining our status in the top flight again, can't knock that.
[/quote]

Spot on!

ralphc
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by ralphc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:16 pm

If we to have a full squad I would have little concern of maintaining a mid-table season but with our recent run of injuries that seems to be a big ask. Add to that the age of the squad isn't good and not sure how many youngster can make the jump to Premiership football. Otherwise, it's just a normal preseason where we will bring in a couple average players later in the window.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:26 pm

We’ll be fine.

We’re clearly known for not being big spenders. Selling clubs would rather wait in the hope of getting more from another club, than selling to us early doors.

That’s their right, and we do the same. Of course it’s frustrating, but we don’t have the money to throw an extra £5/10M at a club to get a player now.

Look at Everton. Bought Allan, Rodriguez and now Doucoure is going through. That leaves Davies, Sigurddson, and Delph as potentially surplus to requirements.

United have bought Van De Beek..

It’s a domino effect and moves for us will open in time. We just need to be patient.

UTC
Last edited by TsarBomba on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Red Fox Rocks Socks

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:59 pm
I personally feel that people are to obsessed about transfers. Why has the transfer window become a source of entertainment? We obviously need to add depth but we’re at the point where realistically we aren’t going to see players much better than what we have playing for our club. So people should start to be realistic and accept that transfer windows at Burnley are generally underwhelming.

On the other hand, the team has put in great performances on the pitch on a relatively consistent basis for a number of years now. That’s far more important to me.
You raise an excellent point, how do you improve on a squad that finished 10th, we could easily go out and recruit 4-5 guys in the next week or so, but will they be better than what we currently have, this is the conundrum facing SD and the board.

I'm pretty relaxed about the window, we'll no doubt get a few squad fillers in, and once everybody is fit and firing that's all we need.

Our probable 1st XI assuming everyone is available is strong.

Pope
Bardsley
Tarks
Mee
Taylor
JBG
Cork/Brownhill/Westwood 2 from 3
McNeil
Wood
Jay Rod

Subs

Barnes
Vydra
Pieters
BPF
Brady
Lowton
Long

Yes we need to add, but there's no point buying for the sake of buying, and yes I'm well aware that not everyone is fit, but it's hard too see who we leave out of the first XI if their doing the business.

We could easily have another repeat of the Gibson situation if we're not careful.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 pm

Its rare you get a thread this sensible, a week before the start of the season.
Nice one
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 Wile E Coyote

alboclaret
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by alboclaret » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:27 pm
You raise an excellent point, how do you improve on a squad that finished 10th, we could easily go out and recruit 4-5 guys in the next week or so, but will they be better than what we currently have, this is the conundrum facing SD and the board.

I'm pretty relaxed about the window, we'll no doubt get a few squad fillers in, and once everybody is fit and firing that's all we need.

Our probable 1st XI assuming everyone is available is strong.

Pope
Bardsley
Tarks
Mee
Taylor
JBG
Cork/Brownhill/Westwood 2 from 3
McNeil
Wood
Jay Rod

Subs

Barnes
Vydra
Pieters
BPF
Brady
Lowton
Long

Yes we need to add, but there's no point buying for the sake of buying, and yes I'm well aware that not everyone is fit, but it's hard too see who we leave out of the first XI if their doing the business.

We could easily have another repeat of the Gibson situation if we're not careful.
For me JBG is the weak link in that team and never fit anyway.
We will struggle to improve the first eleven by getting a signing who goes straight in. Our only hope to improve our starting team by much is by buying youngers plays with potential and 1 or 2 of them coming good/better than we have.

One thing I hope doesnt happen is that our older players dont all "go" at once. At times it can be a quick turn for older players, one season finishes and they were fine, next season starts and their legs have gone. Not this season obviously but we have to have younger replacements at some point. Brownhill is a start but we need more

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:55 pm

alboclaret wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 pm
For me JBG is the weak link in that team and never fit anyway.
We will struggle to improve the first eleven by getting a signing who goes straight in. Our only hope to improve our starting team by much is by buying youngers plays with potential and 1 or 2 of them coming good/better than we have.

One thing I hope doesnt happen is that our older players dont all "go" at once. At times it can be a quick turn for older players, one season finishes and they were fine, next season starts and their legs have gone. Not this season obviously but we have to have younger replacements at some point. Brownhill is a start but we need more
I don't disagree Brady & JBG aren't exactly reliable fitness wise, hence why I said if everyone is available, I'm :o we haven't gone in for BOS of QPR, he ticks all the boxes and is in the final year of his contract, so he wouldn't cost the earth you'd imagine.

He's be an obvious replacement for either of our wingers, and also a good investment for the future.

Beyond him I'm bereft of obvious ideas, but I do agree we need to try and evolve the squad gradually, as they're not getting any younger, and we do require an injection of youth and pace, to give us another dimension, even if it's just someone to carry the ball and win us territory.

This is the problem for any potential recruits, will they be able to force their way into the starting XI, Brownhill has relatively quickly, but that was partly due to circumstances. And nobody signs to get splinters in their backside, players want to play regularly.

We do also have a lot of players ooc in 2021, so if we don't sign replacements this summer, we'll almost certainly require a major overhaul next summer. that's why ideally we'd get a few in now, so it's evolution not revolution in a year.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:47 pm

We are not a fashionable team and I think that there is a fine line with how we approach signings.

I remember when we came up to the PL - we thought we would be awash with players who would want to play in the PL. The reality was that not many wanted to be part of a team fighting for relegation.

As we have established ourselves more firmly in the league, we all know that there is no such thing as a guarantee of staying in the PL and when you see the amount of money we are seeing being spent by the promoted sides, it just makes it more of a reality that if you want to sign players, there are an abundance of clubs that are prepared to pay for their services which helps overlook the fragile nature of where the club may be next year.

Thankfully we haven't taken that approach but I feel an investor is needed as our Board simply cannot and will not financially take us into a position which puts the fabric of the club, or their own personal wealth at risk. They have got the club financially running well but even if they wanted to, they are not in same league in terms of wealth as most PL owners.

I would argue that we probably would find it difficult in the championship to compete with some clubs financially - even with the parachute payments.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2290 times

Post by basil6345789 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 pm

Villa's investments last time failed.

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:58 pm

basil6345789 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 pm
Thought they survived ?? That was their aim all season, by 1 point, by goal difference, whatever it took.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 pm

basil6345789 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 pm
I thought they stayed up and assembled 4 or 5 players in their early 20's who could easily prove to be worth the money they spent on them

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:08 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 pm
I thought they stayed up and assembled 4 or 5 players in their early 20's who could easily prove to be worth the money they spent on them
Totally agree

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:08 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 pm
They did but they can afford to take a calculated gamble, whereas we can't, ideally we'd bring in 4-5 younger players, but we simply can't afford to splash out that kind of money, even if we wanted too, that's just the reality like it or not.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:08 pm

Fulham, West Ham and Arsenal too, who we would have finished above but for some last game cover-up of our potential.

The ever-increasing continual success crisis is not a Burnley issue.
Last edited by Pstotto on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:09 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:08 pm
They did but they can afford to take a calculated gamble, whereas we can't, ideally we'd bring in 4-5 younger players, but we simply can't afford to splash out that kind of money, even if we wanted too, that's just the reality like it or not.
I know, we're doing whats right for us and doing it superbly but Villa took a different approach and so far it has been a success to

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:09 pm
I know, we're doing whats right for us and doing it superbly but Villa took a different approach and so far it has been a success to
Villa have a good chance of establishing themselves in the PL, but it'll be interesting how they get on next season if Grealish departs.

It might actually serve them some good, because they've been far too reliant on Jack for survival, and it's dangerous too be so reliant on one player.

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:20 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:09 pm
So the "public" stance by SD regarding comments to the board was asking/saying what exactly ??

"You can't keep relying on me to keep pulling rabbits out of a hat, season after season" ??

"I prefer the board to go for broke and have faith in me spending the money" ??

"I prefer the board to take a slightly bigger risk and have faith in me spending abit more money" ??

"I want more power in player selection" ??

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 pm

Irrespective of whether we bring any new faces in and,
to be honest, I doubt we will. Possibly one or two at most.

So, the key question is whether we can perform as well as last season?
With basically the same team.

Possibly even better?
Or have we peaked and it's downhill from here?

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:56 pm

I don't think we've peaked and going downhill. We make it difficult for teams to beat us by putting a shift in every game and sticking together as a team. As long as we carry on that way, we might not be the prettiest to watch, or the most exciting, but the formula with the right players works

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:08 pm

1/ I’d be delighted If we were to remain in the PL. Year after year it’s still an achievement.
2/ I’d quite enjoy revisiting some of the old haunts and possibly a few new ones if we went down.
3/ If we did go down I’d wonder about the financial stability of the club if we didn’t make an immediate return.
4/ Basically stay in PL and have some fun beating the big teams now and again. Take pride in Burnley. Enjoy whilst you can.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 pm

you hear a lot of stuff about other teams figuring us out, or we aren't a surprise package anymore.
we take stick for hoofball, we take flak for trying to play it out from the back four, you name it, someone will have chipped in within the media to highlight our obvious flaws, and yet look how high we finished !!!!!

CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 pm
you hear a lot of stuff about other teams figuring us out, or we aren't a surprise package anymore.
we take stick for hoofball, we take flak for trying to play it out from the back four, you name it, someone will have chipped in within the media to highlight our obvious flaws, and yet look how high we finished !!!!!
I agree with that. Every team we play, their manager says “we know how Burnley play and what to expect” Surely that means they should at least get a draw from playing us rather than moan about a defeat caused by our “tactics”

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:56 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:01 pm
We've done the right thing by investing in the infrastructure. one has to believe that the development of our own players will bear fruit soon.
There's lots of lads getting time with the first team (training and friendlies) perhaps one or two will make the grade.
I get the sentiments - but I don't think the manager does

He's very risk averse and looks to older, experienced players as backups rather than youngsters

McNeill was the one that broke the mould but, in all honesty, we would never have seen him play if we had not got all experienced wide men on the treatment table at that time

Take Norwich away - two nil up, against nine men, and he still wouldn't give any of the youngsters on the bench a chance to play Prem football for just maybe 5 - 10 mins.

Part of our "deadlock" is that we are not improving the actual first team starters and we can't just stand still in this competition
This user liked this post: claretfern