Extinction Rebellion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4045 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Extinction Rebellion

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:43 pm

ER early today delayed the distribution of several newspaper titles, including the Sun, Telegraph and Daily Mail by blockading the entrances to three printing plants.

Legitimate tactic, or suppression of free speech?

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Water cannons, followed by police batons would be my answer.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8431 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:48 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:45 pm
Water cannons, followed by police batons would be my answer.
Be funny watching them ... glued to the road ... then being blasted by water cannon 🤭🤭🤭

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:50 pm

This thread really ought to get them going. Good work Electro, although a tip for next time is don't waste your time writing content in a post with Extinction Rebellion in the thread title. That alone will be sufficient to smoke out the undesirables.

I'll pop back in half an hour. Don't disappoint me, codgers.
This user liked this post: KateR

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:41 pm

The PM and the cabinet suddenly really big on ‘freedom of the press’!
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 285 times
Has Liked: 423 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:59 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:50 pm
That alone will be sufficient to smoke out the undesirables.
Self-fulfilling prophecy?

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:11 am

Dirty unwashed unemployed good for nothing scrotes
This user liked this post: durhamclaret

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 am

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:43 pm
ER early today delayed the distribution of several newspaper titles, including the Sun, Telegraph and Daily Mail by blockading the entrances to three printing plants.

Does anyone still read newspapers?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 am

martin_p wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 am
I can't recall the last time I read a physical copy.

Most are free online, but if I was a regular telegraph reader, for example, I'd pay for it over getting a printed copy.

We are probably still a number of years away from being able to do away with printed papers.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:45 am

I don't really have a problem with some crusty, old moonbats chaining themselves to lampposts or whatever, but I did find plenty of commentators views on the situation amusing.
There seemed to be lots of the usual suspects claiming we don't have a free press because most newspaper sales are gathered by a handful of billionaires.
Like people are forced to read certain newspapers, and the ones that agree with their particular beliefs are on the brink of bankruptcy because of some new world order type conspiracy theory.
Free press to them means restricting by force,all news and opinions that they don't agree with.
They are becoming the epitome of everything they claim to hate

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:38 am

The protests were delayed a little, as their leader was......writing his column for a newspaper

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:17 am

Damo wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:45 am
I don't really have a problem with some crusty, old moonbats chaining themselves to lampposts or whatever, but I did find plenty of commentators views on the situation amusing.
There seemed to be lots of the usual suspects claiming we don't have a free press because most newspaper sales are gathered by a handful of billionaires.
Like people are forced to read certain newspapers, and the ones that agree with their particular beliefs are on the brink of bankruptcy because of some new world order type conspiracy theory.
Free press to them means restricting by force,all news and opinions that they don't agree with.
They are becoming the epitome of everything they claim to hate
Censorship imposed by press barons is as bad as that imposed by despotic governments. Large parts of our press aren’t free.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:21 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:17 am
Censorship imposed by press barons is as bad as that imposed by despotic governments. Large parts of our press aren’t free.
Define free firstly.

All of the press give their slanted views on things.
Not often you'll find an unbiased opinion on something important.
You can watch a politician talk on TV and then newspaper articles will twist what's said to suit their agendas.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:33 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Guardian?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:48 am

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:59 pm
Self-fulfilling prophecy?
Well, at least you're self-aware. ;)

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 am

Grumps wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:33 am
Guardian?
The Guardian isn’t owned by someone who uses the paper to further their own interests.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:54 am

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:43 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 06741.html

Council of Europe issues media freedom alert over UK government blacklisting of investigative journalists
The UK government has been formally warned for threatening press freedom after it blacklisted a group of investigative journalists and denied them access to information.

Hours after the latest media freedom alert was issues, the prime minister Mr Johnson said: "A free press is vital in holding the government and other powerful institutions to account on issues critical for the future of our country, including the fight against climate change. It is completely unacceptable to seek to limit the public’s access to news in this way.
Mr Johnson was referring to blockades of printing plants for the Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph, The Sun, and The Times by Extinction Rebellion activists.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:00 am

Didn't the Tories attempt to ban certain news outlets from their press briefings not that long ago?
These 3 users liked this post: Swizzlestick Steve-Harpers-perm Gordaleman

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:21 am
Define free firstly.

All of the press give their slanted views on things.
Not often you'll find an unbiased opinion on something important.
You can watch a politician talk on TV and then newspaper articles will twist what's said to suit their agendas.
The purpose of the press is to inform. They should report news honestly and without bias. Having an editorial slant is fine, but when that editorial slant informs the way news is reported, a paper no longer informs but propagandises. There is no simple line to draw in this, but in most papers that have very rich owners this line is crossed so often and so far to be regularly misinforming their readers.

What is the difference between a government censoring a paper, and an owner doing so? It might be good for the owner - Murdoch has been very successful as a media mogul - but what’s the point if the media no longer fulfils it’s role to society? Personal politics doesn’t even come into this. We should all aspire to having a diverse media that informs through giving us the news, while also having its own editorial slant. Not too much to ask. But we won’t get that while a handful of rich foreigners own our papers.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1001 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:16 am

martin_p wrote:
I think sales are around 5 million per day still (obviously excluding free papers here). The Mail and The Sun have around a million each & I think the former recently overtook the latter which has been "top of the pops" for umpteen decades.
The average newsagent probably nets around £30 on a Saturday from newspaper sales. Of course people coming in for a paper may also buy fags, etc too and further contribute to profits.
As well as reading papers (UK and foreign) online, I buy a paper Fridays and Saturdays - mainly for sports coverage and for crosswords/puzzles. I like to walk out to a newsagents about a mile away so I get a decent bit of exercise. I failed to get my selected paper yesterday morning- I started buying Telegraph after decades of Guardian (though I miss Saturday's cryptic crossword).

Despite the "this'll get them going" gaslighting attempt above. My view is that ER has gone too extreme and probably damaging their own cause at this stage. Theyve largely become just another complaining anti-right rent-a-mob.
Politicians from both major parties have condemned this Friday night activity - except Dawn Butler who initially made a supportive tweet comment (now removed).

Ironically, The Sun published an article by Sir David Attenborough yesterday supporting environmentalism and that was one of the publications disrupted.

And, since I've "got going"... I think this incident has exposed the police to further criticism of going soft on some disruptive protests (following their "knee taking" mistake). They didnt try very hard at all to stop criminal behaviour on Friday night, seemingly treating it as a protest rather than criminality (which clearly its was).

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:24 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:00 am
Didn't the Tories attempt to ban certain news outlets from their press briefings not that long ago?
Journalists from the " Daily Telegraph ", " Daily Mail " and the " Jewish Chronicle " were all threatened with physical violence at the last two Labour party conferences ...

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:26 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 am
The purpose of the press is to inform. They should report news honestly and without bias. Having an editorial slant is fine, but when that editorial slant informs the way news is reported, a paper no longer informs but propagandises. There is no simple line to draw in this, but in most papers that have very rich owners this line is crossed so often and so far to be regularly misinforming their readers.

What is the difference between a government censoring a paper, and an owner doing so? It might be good for the owner - Murdoch has been very successful as a media mogul - but what’s the point if the media no longer fulfils it’s role to society? Personal politics doesn’t even come into this. We should all aspire to having a diverse media that informs through giving us the news, while also having its own editorial slant. Not too much to ask. But we won’t get that while a handful of rich foreigners own our papers.
So every news outlet fails at the first hurdle pretty much of being unbiased and being honest.

News outlets play to their base readers, they've always done it.
Some, like the Sun, attempt to judge public opinion and jump ship accordingly.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:26 am

LeadBelly wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:16 am
I think sales are around 5 million per day still (obviously excluding free papers here). The Mail and The Sun have around a million each & I think the former recently overtook the latter which has been "top of the pops" for umpteen decades.
The average newsagent probably nets around £30 on a Saturday from newspaper sales. Of course people coming in for a paper may also buy fags, etc too and further contribute to profits.
As well as reading papers (UK and foreign) online, I buy a paper Fridays and Saturdays - mainly for sports coverage and for crosswords/puzzles. I like to walk out to a newsagents about a mile away so I get a decent bit of exercise. I failed to get my selected paper yesterday morning- I started buying Telegraph after decades of Guardian (though I miss Saturday's cryptic crossword).

Despite the "this'll get them going" gaslighting attempt above. My view is that ER has gone too extreme and probably damaging their own cause at this stage. Theyve largely become just another complaining anti-right rent-a-mob.
Politicians from both major parties have condemned this Friday night activity - except Dawn Butler who initially made a supportive tweet comment (now removed).

Ironically, The Sun published an article by Sir David Attenborough yesterday supporting environmentalism and that was one of the publications disrupted.

And, since I've "got going"... I think this incident has exposed the police to further criticism of going soft on some disruptive protests (following their "knee taking" mistake). They didnt try very hard at all to stop criminal behaviour on Friday night, seemingly treating it as a protest rather than criminality (which clearly its was).
‘Gaslighting’ by who?

On the subject of the police failing to stop protestors the ferry port at Dover was closed down for a number of hours yesterday by a far right anti immigration demo.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:28 am

AndrewJB wrote:
We can't guarantee the freedom of the press, when they are owned by individuals, but WE are all free to read what we want. No one is forced to buy or read anything. It's an imperfect world, but it's better than any of the others.
If anarchy is the solution to a problem, then democracy dies.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:28 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 am
The Guardian isn’t owned by someone who uses the paper to further their own interests.
The Guardian is filled to the rafters with people using it to further their far left, democratically disastrous at the ballot box, agenda.
These 2 users liked this post: Boss Hogg Stayingup

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:30 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 am
No, the Scott Trust Ltd, stems from tax avoidance by the Scott family to avoid having to pay death duties ....

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:31 am

How many people who didnt receive their newspaper thanks to the freedom suppressing, Marxist actions of XR , will think "mmmm....I'm going to support their worthy cause now!" ?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:37 am

About a month ago they released research on the profile of a typical Extinction Rebellion member. It was discussed on the radio.

It found they were disproportionately- white, female, southern, middle class, well educated and in better paid employment.

Sounds a lot like that "white privilege " we here so much about!

Extinction Rebellion - The religious cult , for those far too morally superior to join a religious cult

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:43 am

On the subject of "white privilege"

https://quillette.com/2018/08/29/unpack ... -knapsack/

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:44 am

LeadBelly wrote:

I'm :o circulation is still that high, I've not read a physical newspaper for about 10 years or so, and I can see the print media dying out within a decade, and going totally online, like many other activities.

Diane Abbott has also claimed the actions of ER weren't illegal, this is dangerous because legitimatizing such behaviour could lead to them becoming more daring in their protests, nobody is saying they can't protest, and make their point forcefully, however I genuinely don't think stunts like this do them any favours, and sadly the message, which is important will just get lost amidst all the furore, equally I disagree with the government's idea to reclassify them as an organised crime group that is ridiculous.

Ed Davey got it spot on in his response they're "shooting themselves in the foot"., and I really don't see how they're going to win hearts and minds like this.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:45 am

LeadBelly wrote:

Fine post.

The Woke Stasi - previously known as The Police.
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:48 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 am

Firstly, there is very little to stop anyone founding a newspaper, or news outlet online ...
There is plenty of diversity, the " Guardian ", " Mirror ", " Morning Star " and " New European " are all left leaning papers to varying degrees, and the BBC as it is, certainly provides a hefty counter-weight to the " right wing " press ..

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am

Rowls wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:43 am
On the subject of "white privilege"

https://quillette.com/2018/08/29/unpack ... -knapsack/
The Marxists failed with Class War once many white people moved out of poverty in the late 20th century so they moved onto Race War. No matter where a man goes or how much money he gets, he can’t change his skin colour. Marxists all over the place say “gotcha!”

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:56 am

And yet we have the government banning the Mirror from 10 Downing street.

So much for free speech when journalists are being banned from asking questions.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:56 am

Clarets4me wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:48 am
Firstly, there is very little to stop anyone founding a newspaper, or news outlet online ...
There is plenty of diversity, the " Guardian ", " Mirror ", " Morning Star " and " New European " are all left leaning papers to varying degrees, and the BBC as it is, certainly provides a hefty counter-weight to the " right wing " press ..
After a 5 minute rant , by a spokesman, for XR on LBC, about "the right wing, Murdoch owned press" ( it could easily have been AndrewJB in full flow!! It really could!!) Ian Dale, referring to political balance, asked him if their were any plans to stop the BBC broadcasting! I wouldn't hold your breath.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:00 pm

This is even better than my Gary Lineker thread

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:05 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:37 am
About a month ago they released research on the profile of a typical Extinction Rebellion member. It was discussed on the radio.

It found they were disproportionately- white, female, southern, middle class, well educated and in better paid employment.

Sounds a lot like that "white privilege " we here so much about!

Extinction Rebellion - The religious cult , for those far too morally superior to join a religious cult
Good to see that you're starting to understand the concept of white privilege.

There has indeed been plenty of talk about extinction rebellion and white privilege. In particular in relation to their strategy of people accepting arrest in order to publicise the issue.

Given the well documented radial inequality in the criminal justice system this is a much riskier strategy if you're not white.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:28 am
We can't guarantee the freedom of the press, when they are owned by individuals, but WE are all free to read what we want. No one is forced to buy or read anything. It's an imperfect world, but it's better than any of the others.
If anarchy is the solution to a problem, then democracy dies.
Is Rowls listening? He thought university students should be forced to read rightwing papers.
This user liked this post: Rowls

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:33 pm

aggi wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:05 pm
Good to see that you're starting to understand the concept of white privilege.

There has indeed been plenty of talk about extinction rebellion and white privilege. In particular in relation to their strategy of people accepting arrest in order to publicise the issue.

Given the well documented radial inequality in the criminal justice system this is a much riskier strategy if you're not white.

Oh dont worry, I understand, fully , the abhorrent and pure racist term and concept of "white privilege ".

I'm just waiting for others, like your good self, to understand the concept of majority privilege( be it white, black , brown or yellow) and simple irony. 👍😉
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This user liked this post: BennyD

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Looks like I called this thread perfectly last night. The undesirable codgers have surfaced. Took a little longer than expected but it was quite late when this thread was first created and I imagine the final cocoa of the evening had been sank well before its conception.

If I was a little less humble I’d probably say something like “mystic ksrclaret strikes again”. But I’m very humble so I won’t. Enjoy yourselves chaps.
These 2 users liked this post: Swizzlestick Greenmile

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:48 am
So nothing about newspaper barons injecting editorial stances into news reporting, or not reporting certain stories, and other forms of disinforming? Anything on the scrapping of Leveson, or the U.K. press seen as the least trusted in Europe? Large scale criminality of phone hacking? If we step back from the politics for a moment, there is surely a lot that is wrong and dysfunctional about our media, so therefore a lot we should be thinking could be improved.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:42 pm
So nothing about newspaper barons injecting editorial stances into news reporting, or not reporting certain stories, and other forms of disinforming? Anything on the scrapping of Leveson, or the U.K. press seen as the least trusted in Europe? Large scale criminality of phone hacking? If we step back from the politics for a moment, there is surely a lot that is wrong and dysfunctional about our media, so therefore a lot we should be thinking could be improved.
Of course it could be improved, but it doesn't have a singular regulatory body.
The Guardian and Times regulate themselves, others through Ipso.

People like Piers can sit there gobbing off about things and his views are respected by many quite bizarrely despite what he did with the phone hacking.
If ever someone needed cancelling its that turd.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:59 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:56 am
After a 5 minute rant , by a spokesman, for XR on LBC, about "the right wing, Murdoch owned press" ( it could easily have been AndrewJB in full flow!! It really could!!) Ian Dale, referring to political balance, asked him if their were any plans to stop the BBC broadcasting! I wouldn't hold your breath.
You spend far too much time inside your foreign owned rightwing bubble chamber.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Majid Nawaz on LBC just torn a strip off XR spokesman and wiped the floor with him with facts. A great listen

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 pm
Is Rowls listening? He thought university students should be forced to read rightwing papers.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:59 pm
You spend far too much time inside your foreign owned rightwing bubble chamber.
"Right winger" , Majid Nawaz on LBC just torn a strip off XR spokesman and wiped the floor with him with facts. A great listen

(Just about heard it from the "rightwing bubble chamber"!)

:lol:
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

oh my sides

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:03 pm

I think the BBC do their fair share of enlightening people about the potential danger our planet faces. You know, Attenborough, Countryfile and so on.
Why would ER want to disrupt that ?

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:11 pm

martin_p wrote:
Loads still do, two of my children do paper rounds and during lockdown their rounds got bigger because people were at home and there hasn’t been a drop off, even since people have been encouraged back to work.
They got a lie in yesterday as well, so there was an upside for a few.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 pm
Of course it could be improved, but it doesn't have a singular regulatory body.
The Guardian and Times regulate themselves, others through Ipso.

People like Piers can sit there gobbing off about things and his views are respected by many quite bizarrely despite what he did with the phone hacking.
If ever someone needed cancelling its that turd.
Putting the Leveson conclusions into practice would have been a good start - though only scratched the surface of the problem - and continuing the enquiry might have shone a light on how the U.K. press have colluded with the police (if they haven’t, or it was a small problem, then great!). To me it underscores the power the press have, to have avoided all of this after everything that came out during the enquiry.

With the Murdochs alone, the senior people claimed no knowledge of criminality - thereby saying their management was so poor, they didn’t know what their underlings were doing. Rank incompetence that has been rewarded by new senior positions within Murdoch’s empire.