ARTICLE: Dyche gives injury update

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Re: ARTICLE: Dyche gives injury update

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:35 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:59 am
But, but Gordaleman was adamant yesterday that Mee was fit.
Gordaleman did not say Ben was fit. Gordaleman simply reported what Sean said two or three weeks ago, and that was that he was expected to be fit for the first PL game.

Got to admit, it's now looking unlikely.

Please don't misquote me.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:32 pm
It could also mean that things are "ok." If your glass is always half empty, I can understand people looking for the negatives. However, if your glass is half full then "I am the only one who knows things going on...." can mean that our transfer activities are private and will remain private until we've got something to announce."

I like the statement about financial strength and not needing to sell. It's not that many seasons back that we needed to sell.

Let's see what happens.

UTC
I guess I can't be too far wrong. Ismaila Diallo has been announced as joining our U23 squad - following in Josh Benson's footsteps.

UTC

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2000 times
Has Liked: 1146 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm

Our success last season was built around Tarks and Ben Mee. It is possible we will play our first game without either. At best it will be Tarks and I assume Kevin Long who has always done ok when needed. The clock is ticking. 3/1 odds for relegation is beginning to look a good price.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6959 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:43 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm
Our success last season was built around Tarks and Ben Mee. It is possible we will play our first game without either. At best it will be Tarks and I assume Kevin Long who has always done ok when needed. The clock is ticking. 3/1 odds for relegation is beginning to look a good price.
We won’t get relegated after the first couple of games of the season.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm

I just don't understand all this panic about the lack of signings. Yes, it would be nice to have some new players in early to give them time to integrate with the existing ones, but we all know, that Burnley rarely do that. Neither do most other clubs and there is always a flurry of activity in the last two or three days.

For goodness sake, there are four weeks left yet before the window closes. Stop knocking the board when they are probably working as hard as they can to achieve what we all want.

Row Z
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:50 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am
14 senior outfield players available ( including Tarkowski ) a matter of days before the Premier League season starts. Numbers cant have been so low since Steve Cotterill's first season.
This is what I cannot understand with our recruitment, surely any players are better than no players.

Sign a pacey winger from the championship and they may not develop into a £40m winger, but they'll add a different dimension to our play and give ourselves options.

At centre half there will be options who may not turn into a £30m Michael Keane, but mean that we won't start the season with Tarks / Long and no cover.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm
I just don't understand all this panic about the lack of signings. Yes, it would be nice to have some new players in early to give them time to integrate with the existing ones, but we all know, that Burnley rarely do that. Neither do most other clubs and there is always a flurry of activity in the last two or three days.

For goodness sake, there are four weeks left yet before the window closes. Stop knocking the board when they are probably working as hard as they can to achieve what we all want.
Most other clubs don't have a depleted squad after having let several senior players leave. This isn't about 'oh Burnley don't sign anyone' its we have no choice but to sign and sign asap because this waiting to get lucky at the end of the window won't work for 5+ signings that we need.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:03 pm

CFS wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:59 pm
Most other clubs don't have a depleted squad after having let several senior players leave. This isn't about 'oh Burnley don't sign anyone' its we have no choice but to sign and sign asap because this waiting to get lucky at the end of the window won't work for 5+ signings that we need.
The only senior player to have left that was worth keeping was Hendrick, the rest just reduced the wage bill, so that blows your argument out of the water. Rest assured, we will be signing players in the next four weeks and everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:50 am
We’ve just had a top half finish, since which we have lost just one first team regular. There is nearly two weeks until our first game of the season. The bed-wetters are quick to throw in the towel as usual.
We have only lost one first team regular, that being Jeff Hendrick, but we've also lost another member of the squad in Aaron Lennon. On top of that we are going into a new season without Ben Mee, Jack Cork and Ashley Barnes.

I was going through this morning at what our team is likely to be for the Leicester game. We all make our own choices as to who plays and who doesn't but look at the options on the bench. I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Nick Pope, Phil Bardsley, Kevin Long, James Tarkowski, Charlie Taylor, Jόhann Berg Guðmundsson, Josh Brownhill, Ashley Westwood, Dwight McNeil, Jay Rodriguez, Chris Wood.
Subs: Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Matt Lowton, Erik Pieters, Robbie Brady, Matěj Vydra plus two more, presumably Jimmy Dunne and Josh Benson.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:35 pm
Gordaleman did not say Ben was fit. Gordaleman simply reported what Sean said two or three weeks ago, and that was that he was expected to be fit for the first PL game.

Got to admit, it's now looking unlikely.

Please don't misquote me.
I have read it back and I stand by my original comment, you were challenged as nobody else had heard it said but you stood by the fact Ben would be fit for the start of the season.

Anyway, you have still not explained why you choose to type Sarfgate as opposed to Southgate?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:14 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:13 pm
I have read it back and I stand by my original comment, you were challenged as nobody else had heard it said but you stood by the fact Ben would be fit for the start of the season.

Anyway, you have still not explained why you choose to type Sarfgate as opposed to Southgate?
Given what's been said today, I don't think Ben Mee has any real chance of being fit to play at Leicester a week on Saturday. He's still got a problem, therefore not trained, and hasn't played since June. I know we have a good medical team but they are not miracle workers.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:15 pm

Still find it hard when people gamble with our team to go down , fans hummmmm

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:18 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:13 pm

I suggest that you read it again then. At no stage did I say Ben Mee was fit. What I said was that Sean said he WOULD be fit by the first PL game, which he did. So if anyone was wrong, it was Sean, not me.

As for your other point, it's poinless explaining as all you will do is argue about it, as usual.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:09 pm
We have only lost one first team regular, that being Jeff Hendrick, but we've also lost another member of the squad in Aaron Lennon. On top of that we are going into a new season without Ben Mee, Jack Cork and Ashley Barnes.

I was going through this morning at what our team is likely to be for the Leicester game. We all make our own choices as to who plays and who doesn't but look at the options on the bench. I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Nick Pope, Phil Bardsley, Kevin Long, James Tarkowski, Charlie Taylor, Jόhann Berg Guðmundsson, Josh Brownhill, Ashley Westwood, Dwight McNeil, Jay Rodriguez, Chris Wood.
Subs: Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Matt Lowton, Erik Pieters, Robbie Brady, Matěj Vydra plus two more, presumably Jimmy Dunne and Josh Benson.
Looks alright to me, not too far removed from the squad that finished the season with two defeats in the last nine games.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:14 pm
Given what's been said today, I don't think Ben Mee has any real chance of being fit to play at Leicester a week on Saturday. He's still got a problem, therefore not trained, and hasn't played since June. I know we have a good medical team but they are not miracle workers.
There was only Gordaleman who thought he would be to be fair.

He appears to be at the "not yet on the grass " stage which as we have seen in recent years is some way away with our players.

Row Z
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:19 pm
Looks alright to me, not too far removed from the squad that finished the season with two defeats in the last nine games.
Looks ok but shows a worrying lack of depth when we have to fill two spaces on the bench.

Good job they didn't increase the number of subs!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

There’s not a lot of depth there is there. But we didn’t have a lot of depth to our squad following the restart and we finished the season strongly.

We will sign players before the window closes. They probably won’t be involved in the first couple of games, but then again new signings would have been unlikely to feature in our first couple of games regardless. As with every transfer window, we need to wait until to closes to see what we have to work with for the first half of the season, and I expect it will be enough.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:18 pm
I suggest that you read it again then. At no stage did I say Ben Mee was fit. What I said was that Sean said he WOULD be fit by the first PL game, which he did. So if anyone was wrong, it was Sean, not me.

As for your other point, it's poinless explaining as all you will do is argue about it.
Nobody else has heard him say it though.

Please enlighten me on the Sarfgate thing, I am genuinely interested as to why you do it.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:23 pm

CFS wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:59 pm
If you think we need 5+ signings then you’re going to be mightily disappointing. Do you think we can afford to carry a squad with 5 more senior players?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Lancs Live thought Ben Mee would be fit. Maybe that's where I got the story from, though I'm sure it was something Sean said.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/ ... ry-update/

Tarkowski played 90 minutes against Tranmere last weekend and is expected to recover from his problem to feature in the Premier League opener at Leicester City on September 19.

Indeed the centre back is likely to be fit before then and play some part in the forthcoming friendly matches with Burnley set to play another behind closed doors game at Barnfield on Saturday, while the club are hoping to arrange a fixture for September 12.

Captain Ben Mee is also hoping to be ready for the big kick off with the 30-year-old on the road to recovery from a thigh problem which sidelined him late last season.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:19 pm
It isn't but at the end of last season we'd already, in effect, achieved our goal and weren't playing under any pressure. It's worrying I think to be starting a season so depleted.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:39 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:21 pm
Nobody else has heard him say it though.

Please enlighten me on the Sarfgate thing, I am genuinely interested as to why you do it.
No apology for misquoting me then, or accepting the fact that I read an article saying Ben would be fit?

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... e-18862268
Last edited by Gordaleman on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:40 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:25 pm
Captain Ben Mee is also hoping to be ready for the big kick off with the 30-year-old on the road to recovery from a thigh problem which sidelined him late last season.
Dyche said ahead of last weekend's games that he was still having a problem, today the club have reported: "skipper Ben Mee is still to resume full training." That doesn't suggest to me he'll be ready to play a week on Saturday.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:40 pm
Dyche said ahead of last weekend's games that he was still having a problem, today the club have reported: "skipper Ben Mee is still to resume full training." That doesn't suggest to me he'll be ready to play a week on Saturday.
I know that Tony. I'm talking about what I read earlier last week and the reason I expected him to be fit.

Obviously it doesn't look very likely now.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 pm
I know that Tony. I'm talking about what I read earlier last week and the reason I expected him to be fit.

Obviously it doesn't look very likely now.
From what I'm told I don't think it's ever been likely. Injured in training ahead of the Sheffield United home game and hasn't been back on the grass since. It would be a miracle if we was fit for next week. Can't believe anyone ever suggested he was likely to be.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:47 pm
From what I'm told I don't think it's ever been likely. Injured in training ahead of the Sheffield United home game and hasn't been back on the grass since. It would be a miracle if we was fit for next week. Can't believe anyone ever suggested he was likely to be.
Well I presume that you've seen the link I just posted.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Well here's a massive boost to the squad. Barny back in full training.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... ck-injury/

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Not sure I need to apologise but thank you for posting the link.

Now of much more importance is the Sarfgate thing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:07 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:00 pm
Well here's a massive boost to the squad. Barny back in full training.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... ck-injury/
Only back yesterday, first day's full training since January.

Ben Mee still got a niggle in his thigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdZyD99Yu1A

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:00 pm
Not sure I need to apologise but thank you for posting the link.

Now of much more importance is the Sarfgate thing.
You have been probing since yesterday afternoon. I dont think he wants to divulge

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 pm
See CT sticky at top of The main page, lists all signings oer premier league team.
Oh come on they do not count or are we that desperate - 3 goalies on bench this time ?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 pm
You have been probing since yesterday afternoon. I dont think he wants to divulge
He doesn't deserve to know, if he can't apologise when he's proved wrong.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:16 pm

We knew we only had 9 games to get through after the restart, and we were already safe so there was no real pressure on us. Going into a new season being down to the bare bones isn't exactly ideal.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Time for Gibson to step up and claim his spot - oh wait

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:23 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm
Oh come on they do not count or are we that desperate - 3 goalies on bench this time ?
But you keep saying you want us to sign young, foreign players. There are three of those on that list.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:25 pm
Lancs Live thought Ben Mee would be fit. Maybe that's where I got the story from, though I'm sure it was something Sean said.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/ ... ry-update/

Tarkowski played 90 minutes against Tranmere last weekend and is expected to recover from his problem to feature in the Premier League opener at Leicester City on September 19.

Indeed the centre back is likely to be fit before then and play some part in the forthcoming friendly matches with Burnley set to play another behind closed doors game at Barnfield on Saturday, while the club are hoping to arrange a fixture for September 12.

Noel Gallagher wrote a line saying 'Please don't put your life in the hands of a rock 'n' roll band, they'll throw it all away.'

The same advice could be used for listening to Dyche on injuries.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:28 pm

Can I just confirm yet again that the sticky at the top of the board shows signings that are confirmed by the Premier League. It's not relevant whether they will be playing first team or U23 football. There are other players listed under other clubs who are just the same.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:26 pm
Noel Gallagher wrote a line saying 'Please don't put your life in the hands of a rock 'n' roll band, they'll throw it all away.'

The same advice could be used for listening to Dyche on injuries.
Whatever. Let's just hope it means that Ben isn't too far away, even if he doesn't make the first couple of games.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:32 pm

Surprised we didn’t go for someone like Mawson on loan from Fulham, Dyche fancied him previously, would’ve been a good 3rd choice central defender.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:34 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:32 pm
Surprised we didn’t go for someone like Mawson on loan from Fulham, Dyche fancied him previously, would’ve been a good 3rd choice central defender.
Struggled at Fulham and has now dropped down a division on loan at Bristol City. Couldn't get into the Fulham side much last season.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:10 am
I've just taken the 3-1 about us been relegated. Printing money
You might as well put a decent wedge down then. Like £500 if you can.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:15 pm
Still find it hard when people gamble with our team to go down , fans hummmmm
I noticed on the prediction thread several tipped us to drop, for what it's worth I don't think we will, but we are making things unnecessarily difficult for ourselves if we don't bring in at least 3 new additions, and that would be the bare minimum we require, and this doesn't factor in any possible injuries/suspensions throughout the season.

First XI actually looks pretty decent if Tarks sticks around, but we have limited options from the bench to change a game, as it stands there's really only Brady and Vydra as attacking options if we're chasing a game, mind you we don't generally make wholesale changes anyway, so you could argue any new signings might struggle to force their way into contention, I guess it depends who the new signings are, I've no doubt there will be some incomings, but we might have to wait right until deadline day to get our business done.

I'll just be glad when we're playing matches again, as soon as we're putting points on the board the nerves will start easing from me.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm
I noticed on the prediction thread several tipped us to drop, for what it's worth I don't think we will, but we are making things unnecessarily difficult for ourselves if we don't bring in at least 3 new additions, and that would be the bare minimum we require, and this doesn't factor in any possible injuries/suspensions throughout the season.

First XI actually looks pretty decent if Tarks sticks around, but we have limited options from the bench to change a game, as it stands there's really only Brady and Vydra as attacking options if we're chasing a game, mind you we don't generally make wholesale changes anyway, so you could argue any new signings might struggle to force their way into contention, I guess it depends who the new signings are, I've no doubt there will be some incomings, but we might have to wait right until deadline day to get our business done.

I'll just be glad when we're playing matches again, as soon as we're putting points on the board the nerves will start easing from me.
There's no point in bringing 'Numbers' into the club if they are no better than those that have left. What we need is quality. Sean alluded to this in a recent interview, so perhaps we might surprise a couple of people on these boards?

Oh, and you missed Barny off the striker list who's now fully fit. https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... ck-injury/

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm
You might as well put a decent wedge down then. Like £500 if you can.
I used my 5 pound free bet on sky bet #gambleresponsibly Frank

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

I think one of those may be gone before that game :shock:

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:51 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:49 pm
Which one?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:52 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:49 pm
And how many will have come in? No one has gone anywhere yet and maybe they won't?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:48 pm
I used my 5 pound free bet on sky bet #gambleresponsibly Frank
I wouldn't have bothered :-D

If Burnley were to go down I'd want to be mega quids in to soften the blow.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm
There's no point in bringing 'Numbers' into the club if they are no better than those that have left. What we need is quality. Sean alluded to this in a recent interview, so perhaps we might surprise a couple of people on these boards?

Oh, and you missed Barny off the striker list who's now fully fit. https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... ck-injury/
It's great news that Ash is now fit, but I wouldn't expect him to feature in the first team for a few weeks, I guess he'll be given some u23 action first to get him fully up to speed, he might have to fight to regain his place now anyway, as Jay has overtaken him in the pecking order.

If we only sign 2 newbies this window, as long as they're quality additions I can live with that, Sean generally works better with a smaller more tight-knit squad anyway, and the last thing we need is a repeat of the Drinkwater/Gibson situation, where neither made a fist of nailing down a regular slot in the starting XI, and eventually just became more trouble than they were worth.

It's always going to be tough to find better options than we currently have, we finished 10th for a reason last season, and that's because we have decent players at this level, and this is one of the reasons players struggle to dislodge our regulars, Brownhill only got his shot due to injuries, ditto Jay Rod & McNeil, rightly or wrongly SD keeps faith with the core of his squad, and it's hard too argue with this strategy given our success in recent years. This continuity has generally served us well, more often than not. so if it isn't broke don't fix it seems to be the motto.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:31 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:01 pm
It's great news that Ash is now fit, but I wouldn't expect him to feature in the first team for a few weeks, I guess he'll be given some u23 action first to get him fully up to speed, he might have to fight to regain his place now anyway, as Jay has overtaken him in the pecking order.

If we only sign 2 newbies this window, as long as they're quality additions I can live with that, Sean generally works better with a smaller more tight-knit squad anyway, and the last thing we need is a repeat of the Drinkwater/Gibson situation, where neither made a fist of nailing down a regular slot in the starting XI, and eventually just became more trouble than they were worth.

It's always going to be tough to find better options than we currently have, we finished 10th for a reason last season, and that's because we have decent players at this level, and this is one of the reasons players struggle to dislodge our regulars, Brownhill only got his shot due to injuries, ditto Jay Rod & McNeil, rightly or wrongly SD keeps faith with the core of his squad, and it's hard too argue with this strategy given our success in recent years. This continuity has generally served us well, more often than not. so if it isn't broke don't fix it seems to be the motto.
"So if it isn't broke don't fix it seems to be the motto." I keep trying to say exactly that but the 'Instant success' crowd on here just won't have it.

Burnley's board have been fantastic over the last 15 or 20 years. They've brought in three managers that served us well. (Well 2. 5 as Coyle turned into Judas but he was good until then.) They have also done most of it with no debt and how many other clubs in the PL can say that? None is the answer to that. Some people just don't know when they're well off, and we as a club, are.

As for Barny, I reckonthat if he's back in full training, he might just feature against Sheff U, but if he doesn't it doesn't matter as we already have a strong strike force with JayRod, Wood and Vydra.

C'mon you PL Clarets.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.