Academy Lancs Live / Pepper

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Academy Lancs Live / Pepper

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 am

I enjoyed reading this article, very informative. Jon Pepper always comes across well in his meetings with the media and he has every reason to be proud of what he has accomplished since taking over our Academy.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... y-18894616

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Academy Lancs Live / Pepper

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:42 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 am
I enjoyed reading this article, very informative. Jon Pepper always comes across well in his meetings with the media and he has every reason to be proud of what he has accomplished since taking over our Academy.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... y-18894616
It is a good article, but unfortunately you'll get more responses on here because of the publication it comes from, sad, but some people don't like it.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:43 am

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:42 am
It is a good article, but unfortunately you'll get more responses on here because of the publication it comes from, sad, but some people don't like it.
Stop beating the same old boring drum - it's the fourth such article on that website by the way since we got Cat 1 status. It's bloody obvious what LL is but you can't see it.

ClaretCraig
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by ClaretCraig » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:50 am

CT is right. That website is atrocious. Adverts and click bait. People on here would soon start moaning if everytime you clicked on a thread it loaded an advert.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:52 am

ClaretCraig wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:50 am
CT is right. That website is atrocious. Adverts and click bait. People on here would soon start moaning if everytime you clicked on a thread it loaded an advert.
It's just Grumps, every time it gets mentioned he comes on with his defence of the rag. It is absolutely dreadful and nothing but click bait. I've said it before and I'll repeat that Reach, who own it, have damaged so many outstanding local newspapers with this LIVE thing and most of the football journalists from those newspapers have got out. Atrocious is the right word.
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 BertiesBeehole

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:52 am
It's just Grumps, every time it gets mentioned he comes on with his defence of the rag. It is absolutely dreadful and nothing but click bait. I've said it before and I'll repeat that Reach, who own it, have damaged so many outstanding local newspapers with this LIVE thing and most of the football journalists from those newspapers have got out. Atrocious is the right word.
Opinions tony, opinions. And it's not just me who supports it, plenty of supportive posts on various threads when the subjects raised.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:59 am

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 am
Opinions tony, opinions. And it's not just me who supports it, plenty of supportive posts on various threads when the subjects raised.
I'm not bothered but it IS click bait, nothing more.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:59 am
I've just looked up the meaning of clickbait, and it seems to be all about misleading headlines which make you click on a link taking you to an article different from the headline.
I don't think lancs live does that
This morning they had details of dyche press conference online before any other outlet, and that's normally the case
The app allows you to read as much local news as you want without any limit, unlike the telegraph or burnley express.
You may dislike the company, I've no problem with that, as I say it's all down to opinion, but let's not call it something that it's not.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Here you go, saves the agro of dodging all the pop-ups, unrelated videos, cookie allowances, related articles, third party adverts, surveys and newsletter subscription boxes - I found the article hidden in there :-

Burnley hope their newly acquired category one Academy status can help them attract better players and develop future first team stars.

The Clarets were given the top rating over the summer, meaning they step up into Premier League 2 Division 2 for the new Under-23 season.

That means games against established leading academies such as Newcastle United and Aston Villa and while it might be a tough season on the pitch given Burnley are expected to field a young team most weeks, the club believe the long-term benefits will help the Clarets for years to come.
A host of youngsters were involved with the first team in the closing stages of last season - in part through necessity - and Max Thompson was handed his debut as a late sub at Manchester City.

The likes of Bobby Thomas and Lewis Richardson have featured in pre-season and the club has high hopes for a number of the players who helped Burnley reach the last eight of the FA Youth Cup this season.

The 2020-21 Under-23 campaign will be the first step on that journey - the result of investment and plenty of hard work behind the scenes - with the Clarets having climbed two categories since the 2016-17 season.

And for Pepper, it is now about reaping the benefits for the effort which has led them to this point.

"It will be a challenge," he said, of stepping up in level.

"There are a lot of established cat one teams in there, the quality of players is better, there is more depth.

"We will be quite young next year if all the players who have been on loan are back out on loan again.

"The younger you are you might come up against teams that are strong and older and it becomes a bit more difficult.

"But the benefit is that the players learn. When Dwight entered the Under 23s, for months they didn't win a game but they got better and better and stronger and stronger.

"It is not about winning leagues, it is about producing players.

"We tend to feel that putting younger players in, tends to fast track them and expose them and they learn a little bit quicker.

"But we have to make sure we have a balance because you don't want to be getting hammered every week and so confidence drops."

The Under-23s were certainly a confident group last season, going unbeaten in the first half of the Professional Development Campaign before a host of youngsters left on loan, and running Manchester City close in the FA Youth Cup.

City are in the top tier of Premier League 2 but the aim for Burnley is to be competing against the best and the brightest talents in the country.

Keeping the top players will be key, as will being able to recruit them in the first place given the level of competition in the north-west with City, Manchester United, Everton and Liverpool all in the region.

"We are in a competitive area with probably the top three clubs in the world at the moment with City, United and Liverpool so it is really competitive in terms of recruitment," added Pepper.

"But the games programme really attracts players. They want to play at the highest level and they might drop out of the likes of those clubs and then choose to come to us because they can play at the highest level.

"In terms of retaining players, it is a lot harder for those clubs to steal players off us now we are cat one. I am not saying they can't but we would get a greater compensation fee.

"The retaining and recruitment of players will be the big one we see.

"At bigger clubs like United, City, Liverpool and Everton, who have big numbers, players see the pathway is blocked. They might be bringing in a player coming in for a couple of million. We don't tend to do that.

"One or two players might get lost in that system.

"I think players are becoming wiser to that. they see our facilities, they like the fact that they will play a bit more because our numbers are lower, they like that we have players in and around the 23s and first team because we are close-knit and on the same site.

"So all of that is a plus for us, a big selling point and our USP."

For Pepper, who arrived at Turf Moor in 2016, this next phase of the Academy is the culmination of a journey that began when he walked through the door to category three facility that in his words was 'quite poor.'

But the club wanted to improve and develop and great strides have been made.

"Going from cat three to cat one is a big transformation," he added.

"How I found the club in terms of their aspirations when I did arrive was the project I was looking for. There was a real aspiration to drive standards forward and progress and get recognised as a better Academy.

"The initial remit was not to get to cat one.

"When Dave Baldwin brought me in he said we are building a new training ground and we are cat three and recognised as quite a poor cat three.

"It was a case of we can't be operating at cat three if we are making that investment into the facilities, we need to be at cat two - so that was the remit.

"We reduced our numbers, we increased the number of games the players were playing and it has gone from strength to strength.

"Going from three to one in such a short space of time is quite remarkable. It has taken a lot of hard work and the staff have brought into the vision and taken responsibility and that aspiration to get to cat one has really motivated the staff and everyone who is involved in working with the Academy.

"It has been a fantastic achievement and one I personally take a lot of pride in."

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 pm

I thought it was a decent article. I think Alex James just a good job keeping us updated

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 pm
I thought it was a decent article. I think Alex James just a good job keeping us updated
The article is probably very good, by a respectable journalist it seems. It's just the platform it's delivered on.

Sometimes I visit these websites like LancsLive and I don't know if the article has actually ended... sometimes I think it has just ended abruptly, but then I spot a 'Read More' button... this is top people clicking the 'Show Reader View' feature a lot of browsers have these days - that takes away the shite wrapped around and inside the body of text people want to read.

I suspect the article will be a rewritten regurgitation of something that's already been published though - that's why ClaretTony is inaccurately calling the article 'Click Bait'... but you can't argue with Tony though - see the Narcissism thread to understand why.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:53 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 pm
The article is probably very good, by a respectable journalist it seems. It's just the platform it's delivered on.

Sometimes I visit these websites like LancsLive and I don't know if the article has actually ended... sometimes I think it has just ended abruptly, but then I spot a 'Read More' button... this is top people clicking the 'Show Reader View' feature a lot of browsers have these days - that takes away the shite wrapped around and inside the body of text people want to read.

I suspect the article will be a rewritten regurgitation of something that's already been published though.
Get a good ad blocker, I don't have half the issues you describe as having.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:58 pm

My apologies if my post resulted in anybody experiencing unwanted ads. I use the Opera browser for general internet surfing, with their VPN activated and the Ublock Origin extension for adblocking ( along with a custom load out ), so I rarely see ads or popups. Although, having websites auto translate to Swedish can be annoying on the rare occasions it happens.

Thanks for copying it and posting it claptrappers. Lancs Live do post some featherweight stuff, they must be under a remit of quantity over quality. However, from time to time they sometimes post informative pieces that are well worth reading.

If they could actually get an interview with our recruitment team, instead of asking Dyche ( who seems to be one step removed from the recruitment process ) the same questions every time that would be an improvement. The last media releases from our recruitment team were the outdated future of scouting article and the WYSCOUT promotion tutorial. Those really were a waste of my time and my time isn't really that valuable at the moment.

In terms of pure clickbait the Burnley Express are far more worthy of the title. At least Lancs Live put some effort into their attempts to attract clickers, the Burnley Express have no shame.

Regardless of the clickbait or not claims I liked reading what Peppery had to say. Hmm i'm not sure adding on the familiar Burnley Y works for him :)

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:53 pm
Get a good ad blocker, I don't have half the issues you describe as having.
I have ad blockers, I don't use them all the time, but that's not the point. The site is generally ****. There might be the ocassional article that's interesting, but most of the time... its crap.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:17 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 pm
He’s written the same article four times now.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:19 pm
I've just looked up the meaning of clickbait, and it seems to be all about misleading headlines which make you click on a link taking you to an article different from the headline.
I don't think lancs live does that
This morning they had details of dyche press conference online before any other outlet, and that's normally the case
The app allows you to read as much local news as you want without any limit, unlike the telegraph or burnley express.
You may dislike the company, I've no problem with that, as I say it's all down to opinion, but let's not call it something that it's not.
I won’t call it something it’s not - it’s click bait.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Row Z
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:59 am
Only if you have already seen the article elsewhere, which may not be the case if you don't search for Burnley articles on a regular basis.

Similar could be said about the Burnley Express which uploads articles regarding Burnley and makes you click through 4 pages until you get there and find it is not the "record breaking signing" you imagine when you see the headline, it's a 16 year old for the U18 side....

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Row Z wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:18 pm
Only if you have already seen the article elsewhere, which may not be the case if you don't search for Burnley articles on a regular basis.

Similar could be said about the Burnley Express which uploads articles regarding Burnley and makes you click through 4 pages until you get there and find it is not the "record breaking signing" you imagine when you see the headline, it's a 16 year old for the U18 side....
You are so right, but it's not really the Burnley Express, like Reach with LL, it's the owning company JPI. I'm afraid the wonderful world of outstanding local papers, and the Burnley Express was very definitely one, has gone because of the companies that own them.

Row Z
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:42 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm
You are so right, but it's not really the Burnley Express, like Reach with LL, it's the owning company JPI. I'm afraid the wonderful world of outstanding local papers, and the Burnley Express was very definitely one, has gone because of the companies that own them.
Seems to be the way of the world - I recall a similar thread on here recently regarding local radio being nationalised.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:46 pm

Row Z wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:42 pm
Seems to be the way of the world - I recall a similar thread on here recently regarding local radio being nationalised.
I feel sorry for Chris at the BE, he's a proper local reporter who does his best to keep people informed as to what really is happening at the Turf. It's got more difficult for him in recent years and last week we even blocked media from attending our game at Preston. I can see both sides, clubs must be frustrated at the crap the likes of Reach, JPI & Newsquest put out.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:46 pm
I feel sorry for Chris at the BE, he's a proper local reporter who does his best to keep people informed as to what really is happening at the Turf. It's got more difficult for him in recent years and last week we even blocked media from attending our game at Preston. I can see both sides, clubs must be frustrated at the crap the likes of Reach, JPI & Newsquest put out.
The reporters themselves said the lack of accreditation was due to Covid restrictions, unfair to blame our club, for an away game
It was our request not to live stream the game.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:51 pm
The reporters themselves said the lack of accreditation was due to Covid restrictions, unfair to blame our club, for an away game
It was our request not to live stream the game.
Preston reporter was there

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:59 pm
Preston reporter was there
That's right, as few as possible though to minimise the risk, but it still wasn't burnley who made the decision

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:17 pm
That's right, as few as possible though to minimise the risk, but it still wasn't burnley who made the decision
If that's what you think, then fine.