Social gatherings of more than 6 people to be banned

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Social gatherings of more than 6 people to be banned

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:40 pm
A race course has to be the easiest sporting event to social distance

Correct, even the horses I back social distance from the winner
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2155 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 pm
Correct, even the horses I back social distance from the winner
Haha, I really miss the races, I usually get to 3-4 a year and sometimes take the kids to the Fun day at Ripon.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:10 pm

My grandma has to catch the bus into town and has complained to me about the amount of kids not wearing masks making herself feel vulnerable and uncomfortable. What's more, the drivers of the busses she has been on are saying nothing to them and allowing entry. I've told her to email the bus company with her concerns because as far as I'm concerned the company are showing a complete disregard for public health all because a driver can't be arsed with the aggro by saying something. It makes you very angry indeed.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Do the new rules now apply to the Marxist organisations Black lives matter and Extinction Rebellion protests? Upto to now they seem to have some sort of special exemption.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:26 pm

Don't worry Ringo I'm sure there will still plenty of things for you to be furious about
These 3 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret FactualFrank evensteadiereddie

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:27 pm

mkmel wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:24 am
People should not be asked to wear a mask it should be mandatory whenever away from home. As long as of course they do not have severe asthma or similar

It was me uni_queue who said this

Here in the Philippines it is mandatory to wear a face mask whenever away from home. And now we also have to wear a face shield whenever in a shopping mall. And in England shop workers do not have to wear a face mask and only adviced to wear.....wtf
Here all shop staff wear both face masks and shields
Johnson has not got a clue!
Last edited by mkmel on Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:29 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:10 pm
My grandma has to catch the bus into town and has complained to me about the amount of kids not wearing masks making herself feel vulnerable and uncomfortable. What's more, the drivers of the busses she has been on are saying nothing to them and allowing entry. I've told her to email the bus company with her concerns because as far as I'm concerned the company are showing a complete disregard for public health all because a driver can't be arsed with the aggro by saying something. It makes you very angry indeed.
I appreciate your point but one of best friends is a bus driver, the physical and mental abuse he has received over the last 6 months has been a disgrace. I can fully understand why no bus driver enforces this ruling

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:04 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
It may be easier, it's not going to be easy. Although it looks like the local council has decided to put a stop to it after today.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:07 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:23 pm
Do the new rules now apply to the Marxist organisations Black lives matter and Extinction Rebellion protests? Upto to now they seem to have some sort of special exemption.
You don't seem to have mentioned the right wing protests there. I guess, applying your hyperbole, it's just that you're fine with fascist protests.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:29 pm
I appreciate your point but one of best friends is a bus driver, the physical and mental abuse he has received over the last 6 months has been a disgrace. I can fully understand why no bus driver enforces this ruling
No bus driver should be subject to abuse however, to simply not enforce this for an easy life is sweeping the issue under the carpet and putting others at risk. The bus companies should hire an extra person on board (a conductor) if need be to make sure these rules are enforced. If need be, stop the bus where it is and call the police, I'm sure the passengers would be on the drivers side.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:56 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:12 pm
No bus driver should be subject to abuse however, to simply not enforce this for an easy life is sweeping the issue under the carpet and putting others at risk. The bus companies should hire an extra person on board (a conductor) if need be to make sure these rules are enforced. If need be, stop the bus where it is and call the police, I'm sure the passengers would be on the drivers side.
Neither bus drivers or 'conductors' are trained in law enforcement. It is not their job to do so and any intervention runs the risk of being arrested or sued. They are no better informed than the general populace when it comes to what is legal today or just advisory. In many places police forces have already stated they will not enforce the rules on public transport, shops, bars and restaurants or at people's homes unless serious disorder may occur or is occuring

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:00 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:56 pm
Neither bus drivers or 'conductors' are trained in law enforcement. It is not their job to do so and any intervention runs the risk of being arrested or sued. They are no better informed than the general populace when it comes to what is legal today or just advisory. In many places police forces have already stated they will not enforce the rules on public transport, shops, bars and restaurants or at people's homes unless serious disorder may occur or is occuring
You’d think their employer might be telling them what is or isn’t legal on their buses. And surely they must have been curious about those ‘passengers must wear a face covering’ signs that have gone up in their buses.

To suggest bus drivers don’t know the rules is to do them and the companies they work for a disservice. However, I suspect they are advised not to get involved when people aren’t wearing face masks.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm

I feel for bus drivers, I’ve seen them being abused by people refusing to wear a mask.

I do think there is a much bigger societal problem though, especially when security at a hospital (where I visited) could not refuse entry to a horrible person who refused to wear a mask. They shouted abuse about human rights etc and just did what they wanted.

I honestly don’t have any answers, but in my younger days I would have probably got involved and physicially thrown them out myself - the resulting jail time would have been fun when I was younger, not now

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 pm
Haha, I really miss the races, I usually get to 3-4 a year and sometimes take the kids to the Fun day at Ripon.
Yeah I have missed York and Cartmel this summer

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:24 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:

There will be no spectators for the rest of the meeting at the racing after today.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm
I feel for bus drivers, I’ve seen them being abused by people refusing to wear a mask.

I do think there is a much bigger societal problem though, especially when security at a hospital (where I visited) could not refuse entry to a horrible person who refused to wear a mask. They shouted abuse about human rights etc and just did what they wanted.

I honestly don’t have any answers, but in my younger days I would have probably got involved and physicially thrown them out myself - the resulting jail time would have been fun when I was younger, not now
Sensible policy, age usually brings wisdom, nowadays people on the buses & security & retail assistants generally take home a low wage & have families to support, it's not worth confronting somebody about a mask for all there know that person could be a crazy maniac tooled up with a blade in their pocket & no hesitation in using it, play the game pick the wage up & get back to the family safe & well.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 pm

Red Fox Rocks Socks wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am
Or you could have it sent to your phone which everyone always has.
Or you could have a letter in the post.
Or you could go to your Drs who could provide letter headed paper.

If you want to make a fake of any of these good luck to you but I’m guessing most people couldn’t be arsed and would fall on line
It might be quicker to wait for a vaccine than to wait for a letter from a GP. They are very hard to see even when you're ill.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Red Fox Rocks Socks

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:09 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm

You can stop people who do not obey the rules and who are risking others from entering hospital if you deem that they are risking others.
I have personally had removed many people over the years for not complying with what is expected and the threat of removal often results in compliant behaviour. At this time it is even more important that people follow the rules and are admonished when they don't.
Hospital cases in the NW seem to be on the up again now. Given how people have been behaving I suppose it was inevitable

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 pm

When will Christmas be officially cancelled?

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 pm

It will not be officially cancelled but the reality is that unless an effective vaccine is found before then it will be Xmas without crackers

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:45 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:09 pm
You can stop people who do not obey the rules and who are risking others from entering hospital if you deem that they are risking others.
I have personally had removed many people over the years for not complying with what is expected and the threat of removal often results in compliant behaviour. At this time it is even more important that people follow the rules and are admonished when they don't.
Hospital cases in the NW seem to be on the up again now. Given how people have been behaving I suppose it was inevitable
The point I wanted to make was that the apathy of the hospital security in regards to the offending person, they just didn’t care enough to make them comply. If the security in our hospitals don’t care, and many of the staff didn’t seem to care either what hope is there for the rest of us?

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm

I get your point but we all have a role to play judging when politely to point out peoples errors having first risk assessed getting a fistful of fives for your troubles.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:18 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:30 am
I'd make them carry an exemption note from their GP. No mask + no note = no entry.
Row Z wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:35 am
I don't understand why shops just don't refuse to serve people who aren't wearing a mask until the exemption is provided.
The government's own guidance states
Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:47 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:18 pm
The government's own guidance states
Confirms it can't be enforced, but is trusting the population to follow

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5522 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:59 pm

Row Z wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:47 pm
Confirms it can't be enforced, but is trusting the population to follow
A bit like everything else. Putting rules in place that they can't possibly enforce.

I loved the bit in Johnson's statement when he said something like: "I spoke to the police and asked them what would make it easier for them" I suspect their answer was "100,000 more coppers, please".

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pm
Sensible policy, age usually brings wisdom, nowadays people on the buses & security & retail assistants generally take home a low wage & have families to support, it's not worth confronting somebody about a mask for all there know that person could be a crazy maniac tooled up with a blade in their pocket & no hesitation in using it, play the game pick the wage up & get back to the family safe & well.
Yes a perfectly valid point Jakub, and I wouldn't condemn bus drivers for not confronting non mask wearers, there's sadly far too may folks of all ages that are tooled up these days , and it's not worth taking the risk for them, I've seen a few news reports about drivers being abused or even physically assaulted. I work in a university, and we've been told not to :?: anyone who isn't wearing a mask, and there is of course exemptions on medical grounds.

I prefer to walk to work it's not that far and it saves me money and also gives me the benefit of exercise. I certainly wouldn't get on public transport in the near future.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:10 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:59 pm
A bit like everything else. Putting rules in place that they can't possibly enforce.

I loved the bit in Johnson's statement when he said something like: "I spoke to the police and asked them what would make it easier for them" I suspect their answer was "100,000 more coppers, please".
That's been the issue from the start, you can have sensible people not following the rules but in no way spreading the virus by wearing masks & going way over & beyond any social distancing measures (well over 2m) & sanitising every single thing that's touched (even gloves frequently disposed) & a handful of people following the rules but disregarding common sense & spreading the virus, surely a point needs to be reached by just trusting people without any rules in place because them same very people ignoring the rules & using common sense aren't the people spreading the virus. It's ok to fly thousands of miles & go to pubs ect but shy reclusive extreme clean people can't do certain things.
This user liked this post: Red Fox Rocks Socks

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:28 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 pm
When will Christmas be officially cancelled?
Have you not heard about Operation Moonshit I mean Moonshot?
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5522 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:10 pm
That's been the issue from the start, you can have sensible people not following the rules but in no way spreading the virus by wearing masks & going way over & beyond any social distancing measures (well over 2m) & sanitising every single thing that's touched (even gloves frequently disposed) & a handful of people following the rules but disregarding common sense & spreading the virus, surely a point needs to be reached by just trusting people without any rules in place because them same very people ignoring the rules & using common sense aren't the people spreading the virus. It's ok to fly thousands of miles & go to pubs ect but shy reclusive extreme clean people can't do certain things.
Do you ever stop to read what you are typing?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:10 am

aggi wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:07 pm
You don't seem to have mentioned the right wing protests there. I guess, applying your hyperbole, it's just that you're fine with fascist protests.
Rearrange into a well known phrase-

"Own by hoist petard your."

🤗🌞

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:40 am

The Seven Dwarfs have just been told they can only meet in groups of six. One of them isnt Happy

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:40 am
The Seven Dwarfs have just been told they can only meet in groups of six. One of them isnt Happy
No, I think you'll find that only one is Happy. The other six aren't.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 am

My granddaughters both started school again last week. The school had all the precautions, from parents/grandparents not gathering at gates, plenty of hand washing, social distancing, hand sanitizing, etc., etc.

They both have colds now - how does that work?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:41 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:49 am
Yeah , forget personal responsibility. Nice one.

The government have a responsibility to effectively manage a pandemic. They are failing

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:10 am
Rearrange into a well known phrase-

"Own by hoist petard your."

🤗🌞
I assume you realise your response didn't actually make sense. I guess it was easier than explaining why you had no issue with violent, right wing protests.

Anyway, you'll be glad to know that there is a carve out in the new rules for protests.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:03 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:28 pm
Have you not heard about Operation Moonshit I mean Moonshot?

I was hoping it was operation moonshine
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:10 am

aggi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 am
I assume you realise your response didn't actually make sense. I guess it was easier than explaining why you had no issue with violent, right wing protests.
I’m not sure whether he doesn’t read responses properly or genuinely has a problem comprehending the English language!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 am

The seven dwarfs have just been informed and one of them isn't happy.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:22 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 am
The seven dwarfs have just been informed and one of them isn't happy.
You’re an hour and a half too late.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:22 am
Looks like Dopey has arrived :lol:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:22 am
More like 24 hours. But I took into account the slowness of some folk on here, so chanced it!

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 pm

So, is there anyone on here who expects this moonshot testing to actually happen?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 pm
So, is there anyone on here who expects this moonshot testing to actually happen?
Not this side of Xmas no, I just wish this government would stop making absurd promises that they can't deliver, a world-beating track & trace system, that was a total fallacy, it doesn't even function effectively ATM, and we'll be back to near normal by Xmas, nobody seriously believed that, and once again the PM has had to backtrack on those claims, I appreciate his enthusiasm and positivity, but it's got to be based on something tangible, otherwise it's just empty rhetoric, let's deal with the reality we're living through, and not the fantasy world we'd like to be in.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:17 pm

To be fair to the PM, his bluster and promises may seem like enough hot air to lift off a balloon, but there is often a method to his madness as long as he isn’t taken literally (which many seem to do).

No other major developed country apart from Australia (I don’t class Denmark as major) did as many Covid tests last week per head of population. That is a direct result of the pressure on Hancock and others caused by the PM’s bullish insistence we would be world class. The testing is creaking at the edges, but moving at such pace will always do that.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm

Inchy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:41 am
The government have a responsibility to effectively manage a pandemic. They are failing
if a lever existed that had a sign above it saying, "for perfect response to unprecedented global pandemic. Pull here", and Boris pulled it. If large swathes of the population chose to consider themselves above the law. Even the perfect response would fail.

The lever doesn't even exist.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Neither does the government's effective management.....

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:29 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 am

Anyway, you'll be glad to know that there is a carve out in the new rules for protests.
Given your use of " hyperbole" and describing people who didnt agree with statues being pulled down as "fascists" it makes absolute sense ! But I shouldn't be at all surprised about your inability to comprehend that. After all, this is the same person who with regards to majority privilege , "even when it was explained to them" came out with the cretinous , "I wouldn't say white privilege was a thing in Japan for instance,"

😂🤣😂😂🤣😄😀🤭😅

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:31 pm

You've misunderstood aggi's post you complete spanner.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:32 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:31 pm
You've misunderstood aggi's post you complete spanner.
It’s not the first time he’s made a fool of himself, it won’t be the last.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:33 pm

A day early, too !