Art

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
hawxi
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: Art

Post by hawxi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:23 am

:lol: Dear me..ive heard some conspiracy theories in my time..

As for your comments about auctions not taking his ( or any other artists works ) ..that simply isnt true. Solid Provenance is all that is required.. and also, he has his own authentication process ( https://www.pestcontroloffice.com/ ) which will back up any print legitimacy and taken as the standard provenance required to consign into auctions

All of the prints in this present auction were sold direct initially by the artist - some may then have been resold by galleries - but most havent been.. so clearly shows what you are saying isnt true - https://www.sothebys.com/en/digital-cat ... ?locale=en

You are though correct about the tie up and relationship between Banksy and Hirst.. who have combined ownership of the Pest Control part of his empire ( and he does have a large collection of Banksy works in his own collection )

Im sure this is pretty boring stuff though - so sorry for the ramblings :roll:
Pstotto wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:53 am
Hauxi, Banksy is a government agent to provide solace to Hull etc. whilst pouring bathos on better art, for the sake of visual power in the hands of corporate media and not me.

You can't just put art up for auction at sotherbys, you have to have provenance from a gallery, the work has to have been sold in a gallery first, I have letters from them, as I've tried... UNLESS you are Banksy or Damien Hirst.

Banksy is an art world insider, presented as against the art world because a totalitarian state provides its own opposition, you can't get in.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 pm

No, BANKSY can exhibit and sell at Sotherbys, I can't. I've tried. That's because he's an INSIDER pretending to be an outsider, because a Banksy in Hull keeps the peace, the plebs are happy with the rhetoric.

It's good cop bad cop.

They have all these BLM artists at the Tate against the UK, PAID FOR by Gov.UK.

hawxi

Post by hawxi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Lost me... sorry.
Pstotto wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 pm
No, BANKSY can exhibit and sell at Sotherbys, I can't. I've tried. That's because he's an INSIDER pretending to be an outsider, because a Banksy in Hull keeps the peace, the plebs are happy with the rhetoric.

It's good cop bad cop.

They have all these BLM artists at the Tate against the UK, PAID FOR by Gov.UK.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:44 pm

The state provides its own opposition in an arena which it controls in order to provide a simulacrum of democracy.

Director of Tate Britain Alan Farquarson is appointed by the Minister for Culture, the Turner Prize apes democracy by making out it sponsors diverse political viewpoints as the vanguard of art.

Political viewpoints have nothing to do with art, it is a sophisticated red herring.

hawxi

Post by hawxi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 pm

maybe best to get the thread back on track to what art people like huh?? 8-)
Pstotto wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:44 pm
The state provides its own opposition in an arena which it controls in order to provide a simulacrum of democracy.

Director of Tate Britain Alan Farquarson is appointed by the Minister for Culture, the Turner Prize apes democracy by making out it sponsors diverse political viewpoints as the vanguard of art.

Political viewpoints have nothing to do with art, it is a sophisticated red herring.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm always amused by folk who say they like abstract painting... Whatever it might represent, keep it safe as an illusion and pray it doesn't exist other than as that. :-)

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Nobody knows what media is, in the same way that nobody knows what electricity or gravity is.

As a child watching Camberwick Green, one learns that TV media is a construct of man, because Windy Miller whoever scrolls the credits, so you can see.

If one were to see the ATV symbol and animation (1960s) as alive, it would be terrifying.

One of the things, is that media is 'alive' because it's a fact of consciousness, so if one is not careful, the TV is alive if one confuses that bit of consciousness with it.

Abstract art plays that line.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Rowls and others interested, if you watch this video on the Californian artist Laura Owens, at 5.15 you can compare her take on newspaper-as-data and with mine above.

I was doing this before her.

I envision architectonic imagery and novel form and space directly related to the data field, whereas she moves stuff about so it's not an architectonic perception of data it's a simulacrum of, although it's similar subject and similar outcome, because the same 'thing' is out there lurking...

Nice pictures but simple Photoshop technique, very expensive to make and sell for millions literally her work, mine more advanced in the cupboard.

The fed and watered plant and the Northerner 'who should learn his place'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpjps52CE8

Sorry about the 'music to it', in advance.
Last edited by Pstotto on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:52 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm
Rowls and others interested, if you watch this video on the Californian artist Laura Owens, at 5.15 you can compare her take on newspaper-as-data and with mine above.

I was doing this before her.

I envision architectonic imagery and novel form and space directly related to the data field, whereas she moves stuff about so it's not an architectonic perception of data it's a simulacrum of, although it's same subject and similar outcome.

Nice pictures but simple Photoshop technique, very expensive to make and sell for millions literally her work, mine more advanced in the cupboard.

The fed and watered plant and the Northerner 'who should learn his place'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpjps52CE8

Sorry about the 'music to it', in advance.
55A99F20-B34C-40CB-A176-41B83CD4F6D3.png
55A99F20-B34C-40CB-A176-41B83CD4F6D3.png (147.32 KiB) Viewed 827 times

Art at its finest

Bravo pstotto
These 2 users liked this post: Pstotto tim_noone

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 pm

This user liked this post: tim_noone

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 pm

"Supper at Emmaus" by Caravaggio. Interesting guy (to say the least) and wonderful talent!
Failing that, "Ophelia" by Millais. See above!
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:39 pm

It hasn't been made yet, and thinking good thoughts I hope that it isn't available for a long while, but I would like the skeletal hand of the deceased Banksy.

It would be presented in a small, hermetically sealed glass cylinder, shaped like an aerosol can. The hand would be magnetically suspended above a pool of chromatic ink that appeared to change colour in relation to the refraction of light. The pool would be in the shape of an orchid stencil with dissembled petals. Fixed together with some form of undetectable solvent, the hand would be poised in a permanent two fingered salute, so that it portrayed victory from one view point and **** you from another.

As I title, I don't know, maybe " Canned Laughter "

Alternatively, the actual Burnley fax machine with a single sheet of crumpled and torn A4 emerging from it. The piece of paper would feature the word HOPE in large claret and blue letters, possibly with some tear stains on it.

In terms of something that is more attainable, an original work by Valdimir Kush would be a nice thing to hang on the wall.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Easy on the eye and easy on the mind, for sure... :-)

Most of my experience of looking at art has been through books and catalogues at one's leisure, this art book on Chris Foss is awesome and definitely worth buying and a fantastic Christmas present to anybody who would enjoy sci-fi craft illustration at its best.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardware-Defin ... 1848566980

It looks to be currently out of stock, probably because of Covid demand.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:10 am

Didn't Chris Foss do all the Asimov paperback stuff ? I love my old Foundation trilogy covers

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 am

Yes.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:35 am

Pstotto wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 pm

It looks to be currently out of stock, probably because of Covid demand.
It was published in 2011 so I think the shortage is down to the sale of stock over the last 9 years and no subsequent repeat of the print run.

It is still available here for £27.68 including postage. New and shipped from an Italian supplier. They have copies from other suppliers as well.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 1-_-title1

Abe books are owned by Amazon, so you can rest assured that the smallest possible part of any payment they receive as part of the sale will return to our country in the form of taxes :(

I looked for a small business supplier selling direct, but sadly I couldn't find one.
This user liked this post: Pstotto

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm glad I have my copy.

It's novel form creation of a type I enjoy.

There's very little of that in contemporary art, with abstract painting one has to augment the pictures to an extent in the mind to see them as alien objects akin to Chris Foss's creations.

I aim to extend perception of object eye candy, Chris Foss-style + contemporary art by using MCN as the base matter rather than Hello magazine etc. for sci-fi object recognition fantasy.

It's all part of the 'form and space race', you know... :-)

For those that watched 'Materiality and Abstraction' starring Laura Owens, she's very big on using the term 'abstraction', it's a way of describing the ubiquitous unknown intrinsic to all pictures, in effect.

The remit of abstract painting is to withhold all judgment to 'go beyond the self' by bringing something to fruition without any psychology attached that might reduce the greatness of the flow of natural genius.

I don't use that terminology myself.

A better way of putting it is 'the transcendental pictorial context of perspective' to which all visual matter is subject, as described before i.e. 2D shape represents 3D form and so on.

How the artist forms a relationship with that fact, determines their way of working, for the most part denial... :-)

Usually because they don't have the talent and necessary gifts of architectonic reasoning, which is the essential factor.

If you're a fan of the term abstraction and think it is abstract, rather than buy a few drinks for abstraction at The Pub Last Stand tonight, why not stay in and instead order:

'Beyond Resemblance- Abstract Art in The Age of Global Conceptualism' Reaktion Books. 2017 by Robert Linsley.

He's a former colleague of mine, he was hawking his blog and I told him he might as well write a book instead. I'm glad I did because he was killed in a bike accident in 2017.

I wonder if he died before his book was published.

His paintings are like maps, creating a conceptual frisson between 2D and 3D in terms of how to assess the pictures.

That was his 'way of doing it'.

To link it to football, Sean Dyche must have at some stage to accept his limitations and what he is, what dog he is, even.

I think Robert must have decided how to have an interactive interest within the limits of one's capacity.

His book is an interesting read but for him, abstraction is a 'thing' of some sort, almost as a form of picture-animism.

I absolve myself from that, by the above euphemism, the TPCP.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Fellow traveler on the artist ship of fools and my favourite MAXIMALIST artist is Fabian Marcaccio:

www.fabianmarcaccio.com

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:47 pm

This will do for me.
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 691 times
This user liked this post: spadesclaret