Interesting comments re Dyche in the Mail just now

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Interesting comments re Dyche in the Mail just now

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:12 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 am
You learn something new every day.

Today I learnt the club means more to Garlick than anyone, and also the money TV broadcasters and sponsors give the club each season is actually his money.

2 crazy facts I would have never believed in a million years were true.

No wonder he isnt keen on spending it, and who can blame him.
If someone gave me 130m, I wouldn't buy a few footballers for a team I support from a distance, thatd be a waste, I'd be on a beach 48 weeks of the year drinking fine beers and eating top notch food.
Take emotions out of it, the thread is about £££, so yes, it matters more to Garlick than anyone if we stay up.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am

mdd2 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 am
And Macca what would you do with the £129,500,000 you were left with at the end of those 48 weeks?

Do it again and again.
Obviously I'd invest some so that the Macca family are hopefully financially stable for many a generation.

Sadly it wouldn't be enough to buy a stake in the club, unless the current gravy train crashes and burns.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:12 am
Take emotions out of it, the thread is about £££, so yes, it matters more to Garlick than anyone if we stay up.
Why is that?

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 am
Why is that?
Because he is the Chairman of the club with ultimate responsibility to ensure we remain a going concern, amongst other things!

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 am
Because he is the Chairman of the club with ultimate responsibility to ensure we remain a going concern, amongst other things!
You said "Take emotions out of it, the thread is about £££, so yes, it matters more to Garlick than anyone if we stay up"

So we are taking emotions out of it, so that leaves the £££ from your post the "amongst other things" I think you called it the second time.

So we are kind of agreeing, it matters more to Garlick regards money, as he's the one wanting to make a whole load of dosh out of it.

Let's not dress it up any other way.
The guy regularly stresses about the fans and one club and community, yet tries to squeeze every last penny from the fans in this struggling working class town.

It'll be a sad day when he drives out the best manager in many a generation.
But suppose as long as the man who it matters more to is happy, all is well.

Who cares what the other 35,000 fans want or feel.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 am
You said "Take emotions out of it, the thread is about £££, so yes, it matters more to Garlick than anyone if we stay up"

So we are taking emotions out of it, so that leaves the £££ from your post the "amongst other things" I think you called it the second time.

So we are kind of agreeing, it matters more to Garlick regards money, as he's the one wanting to make a whole load of dosh out of it.

Let's not dress it up any other way.
The guy regularly stresses about the fans and one club and community, yet tries to squeeze every last penny from the fans in this struggling working class town.

It'll be a sad day when he drives out the best manager in many a generation.
But suppose as long as the man who it matters more to is happy, all is well.

Who cares what the other 35,000 fans want or feel.
One thing is for certain, Garlick isnt the Chairman / majority shareholder of Burnley FC for personal gain. If you're looking to make money in football then being the Chairman of most clubs isnt the role to do so.

Squeeze every last penny from the fans? Not sure about yours but my season ticket hasn't increased in price in years and i bet we are some of the only fans who can say that.- so that is just a bull**** comment,

And yes Dyche is the best manager in my lifetime but he isnt bigger than the club, no thing is more certain than we will eventually be relegated and if by how we are run means we dont fall into the pitfalls of the other boom or bust clubs then not sure why any burnley fan wouldnt be 100% behind that.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:11 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 am
One thing is for certain, Garlick isnt the Chairman / majority shareholder of Burnley FC for personal gain. If you're looking to make money in football then being the Chairman of most clubs isnt the role to do so.

Squeeze every last penny from the fans? Not sure about yours but my season ticket hasn't increased in price in years and i bet we are some of the only fans who can say that.- so that is just a bull**** comment,

And yes Dyche is the best manager in my lifetime but he isnt bigger than the club, no thing is more certain than we will eventually be relegated and if by how we are run means we dont fall into the pitfalls of the other boom or bust clubs then not sure why any burnley fan wouldnt be 100% behind that.
We will see

Ahh season tickets are frozen, everything else is fine, keep them frozen and all is well. Can you imagine them going up? Theyd be financially worse off...

Agreed, no one is bigger than the club, you can file Garlick in that category too, Mr Dyche has done far more for this club than anyone in a very long time, so deserves the basic support he requires.
He's brought millions into this club, and changed nearly the whole set up from bottom to nearly the top since he has been here.

If you were to swap Kilby for Garlick 8 years ago we probably go on to achieve the same as we have

Swap Dyche for Lambert, Reid ( or anyone of your choosing ) and I'd put my mortgage on the success being far from what we achieved

There's 1 man to thank for our last 8 years of success, and his name isnt Mike.
When did he take up a real interest in becoming the main man by the way?

( i understand the foundations were layed by Kilby and Coyle )

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:11 am
We will see

Ahh season tickets are frozen, everything else is fine, keep them frozen and all is well. Can you imagine them going up? Theyd be financially worse off...

Agreed, no one is bigger than the club, you can file Garlick in that category too, Mr Dyche has done far more for this club than anyone in a very long time, so deserves the basic support he requires.
He's brought millions into this club, and changed nearly the whole set up from bottom to nearly the top since he has been here.

If you were to swap Kilby for Garlick 8 years ago we probably go on to achieve the same as we have

Swap Dyche for Lambert, Reid ( or anyone of your choosing ) and I'd put my mortgage on the success being far from what we achieved

the last time i checked the club didn't pay dividends, so Garlick (other than the wage i assume he will take, and who can begrudge someone a wage) hasn't personally benefit

Your comment was about the club squeezing every last penny out of the fans, its simply isnt true, we werent talking about what might happen if they went up. Even if they did go up they are probably pretty inelastic for the time being.

Dyche has done a fantastic job, Garlick has done a fantastic job. Why change how it has been working now? We have had 2 top ten finishes in the premier league which is way above what we should be achieving.

Im as frustrated as anyone about how we manage the transfer window, but its worked up to date, no point getting angry about it until the window closes.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:38 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:11 am
We will see

Where do you want the money to come from to "support" Dyche?

Our cash reserves or Garlick's, and the other directors's, pockets? What do you think would be a sensible level of spending?

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am
the last time i checked the club didn't pay dividends, so Garlick (other than the wage i assume he will take, and who can begrudge someone a wage) hasn't personally benefit

He doesn't take a wage, none of the directors do. The only real way he'll make money out of Burnley FC is by selling the club when the price is high.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:54 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 am
He doesn't take a wage, none of the directors do. The only real way he'll make money out of Burnley FC is by selling the club when the price is high.
And if that happens its a measure of how successful him and the whole management team have been.

One things is for sure, it wont happen if we get relegated, so - even if Garlick is in this for personal gain, which i don't think he is, it goes back to my original point of if mattering more to him than anyone.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am

aggi wrote:
And from a number of apparently financially savvy posters on here, the way that accounts are presented and the club is positioned, that is the direction he is heading. Zero debt, cash reserves, report a profit annually, another year of £130m plus revenue to come. The question you have to ask yourself is, if we are not a bank, why is Garlick so set on building a cash reserve? Surely that cash is best used investing in improving the asset that generates the revenue, namely the 11 players on the pitch at any given time. Is this the wedge between the manager and the chairman - 1 is looking to achieve that, the other can see a substantial increase to his personal wealth with the sale of his share of the club......
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Enola Gay

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am
And from a number of apparently financially savvy posters on here, the way that accounts are presented and the club is positioned, that is the direction he is heading. Zero debt, cash reserves, report a profit annually, another year of £130m plus revenue to come. The question you have to ask yourself is, if we are not a bank, why is Garlick so set on building a cash reserve? Surely that cash is best used investing in improving the asset that generates the revenue, namely the 11 players on the pitch at any given time. Is this the wedge between the manager and the chairman - 1 is looking to achieve that, the other can see a substantial increase to his personal wealth with the sale of his share of the club......
The thing is the accounts that are presented for takeover look incredibly similar to prudent (possibly overly prudent) management with substantial reserves for when we get relegated and our revenue plummets.

I don't think anyone (anyone sensible at least) believes that we'll stay up indefinitely, pretty much all clubs of our size go down at some point. If we spend year on year then logically wages are going to increase and, when we go down, we won't have anything to pay them with. When Newcastle went down a few years back they tried to keep most of their team together and went straight back up again. In doing that they made a loss of about £50m. That's what I believe those cash reserves are for.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 pm
Since he took a controlling interest in the club.
Its not his money though, is it. It's the clubs.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:57 am

Herts Clarets wrote:

Nail on head for me.

Last time I read Garlick was worth 80m. That's HIS worth, not what he has in his bank.

He could with a sale of the club double that over night, and that would be in his bank.

Of course I dont expect anyone to put their money into the club, although as supporters we do put a steady stream of finance into the club, I'd guess the directors and chairman havent done that for quite some time.

Be interesting to see when he first had a real interest in becoming the top dog, after all, he is a business man first and foremost.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:57 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Pretty simple really, he is trying to safeguard our future for when we get relegated.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:57 am
Nail on head for me.

Last time I read Garlick was worth 80m. That's HIS worth, not what he has in his bank.

He could with a sale of the club double that over night, and that would be in his bank.

Of course I dont expect anyone to put their money into the club, although as supporters we do put a steady stream of finance into the club, I'd guess the directors and chairman havent done that for quite some time.

Be interesting to see when he first had a real interest in becoming the top dog, after all, he is a business man first and foremost.
I'm glad you arent Burnley FC's accountant.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 am
I'm glad you arent Burnley FC's accountant.
So am I, I struggle with the pittance I currently earn, I'd hate to think what quality of life I'd have with a drop in income.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:14 am

aggi wrote:
CT was not so sure when I queried his new role as Executive Chairman last year
ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:40 am
The Head of Football and Club Secretary job has gone, been replaced with Matt Williams becoming CEO. I've no idea what the executive means ahead of chairman, he's very hands on already. Maybe he'll now get a salary (but that's just a guess). Dave Baldwin continues in his role of CEO until June while Mike Rigg (Technical Director) and Martin Hodge (Head of Recruitment) are part of the football side of the business.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:20 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:14 am
He wasn't and I'm still unsure as to why the change of name for him to be honest. I'd assumed, maybe wrongly, that he was taking a salary.

One error from me in that post. Matt his now COO, not CEO. Matt is still around, and that really is good news. Dave Baldwin, of course, left in mid-March, the day before the Man City game was called off.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:47 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:14 am
Fair point, I'm looking historically and he hasn't taken a wage up until 30 June 2019. That may have changed.

EDIT: Looking at CT's post I'm not sure if you're referring to Matt Williams or Garlick here. If it's Matt Williams he isn't a director.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Pretty simple really, he is trying to safeguard our future for when we get relegated.

I liken it to owning a motor vehicle. You can invest into the running of that vehicle, regular servicing, small repairs to maintain the performance and ensure long service from the vehicle. Or you can neglect to carry out servicing, leave the vehicle as it is and save the money in the bank, ready for when it breaks down and you have to carry out remedial repairs to get it back up and running. Of course the repairs are likely to cost well in excess of the cost of regular maintenance and the vehicle once repaired is likely to have a lower value, but you pat yourself on the back for managing to accrue cash in the bank to fund these repairs.

We appear to be following the latter option....

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Martin Hodge and Mike Rigg.

Have they been missing in action since they were appointed?

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:23 pm
I liken it to owning a motor vehicle. You can invest into the running of that vehicle, regular servicing, small repairs to maintain the performance and ensure long service from the vehicle. Or you can neglect to carry out servicing, leave the vehicle as it is and save the money in the bank, ready for when it breaks down and you have to carry out remedial repairs to get it back up and running. Of course the repairs are likely to cost well in excess of the cost of regular maintenance and the vehicle once repaired is likely to have a lower value, but you pat yourself on the back for managing to accrue cash in the bank to fund these repairs.

it really really isnt.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:45 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
I always wondered why David Baldwin left, I seem to remember him saying it was to good to turn down...but I'm wondering if he could see what was coming and jumped ship.

Planning for relegation...whatever next !
Last edited by ewanrob on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:30 pm
Martin Hodge and Mike Rigg.

Have they been missing in action since they were appointed?
I reckon I could come up with the same results as these 2 have and saved the club a fortune in wages !

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:23 pm

In this not very good analogy you're arguably wanting a new engine even though the current one is reliable enough. Or relegation is like losing your job and not having enough money in the bank to cover the lease payments.

To reiterate, what happens when we get relegated if we don't have a hefty cash reserve?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:25 pm

I not saying Dyche isn't frustrated (who isn't?) but It is interesting that some papers are seemingly campaigning for Dyche to leave Burnley - compare the last part of today's press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRj7wGW10ic

with this piece just published by the Telegraph

Burnley in crisis: Sean Dyche's strained relationship with chairman, no new signings and rival takeover bids
JAMES DUCKER SEPTEMBER 15, 2020

Burnley are in crisis with manager Sean Dyche and chairman Mike Garlick's relationship having severely deteriorated and the club’s drastic need for new signings thrown into turmoil by the prospect of a takeover.

Two rival bidders are competing to take ownership of the Lancashire club but the timing of a potential buyout is wreaking havoc and with attempts to strengthen a threadbare squad before the close of the transfer window in less than three weeks’ time.

Senior sources have told Telegraph Sport that:

- The relationship between Dyche and Garlick, once one of the closest manager-chairman dynamics in the top flight, has soured to the point where they now talk far less frequently
- Two American consortiums are battling to win control of Burnley but uncertainty over the future of the club has complicated recruitment plans
- Burnley remain hopeful of making at least a couple of signings before the close of the window on Oct 5 but first team players are worried about the lack of reinforcements
- Six senior players - Jack Cork, Ashley Westwood, Robbie Brady, Matt Lowton, Kevin Long and Phil Bardsley - are out of contract next summer and the club face a battle to keep some of them.

Burnley have yet to make a significant signing ahead of their opening Premier League match at Leicester on Sunday, despite losing Jeff Hendrick, Aaron Lennon and Joe Hart at the end of last season. The club have been linked with the Mainz and Sweden attacking midfielder, Robin Quaison, but there are growing fears about the forthcoming campaign with just 18 senior outfield players on the club’s books.

To compound matters, three of those players - captain Ben Mee, midfielder Cork and forward Ashley Barnes - are expected to miss the Leicester game through injury and Burnley face a battle to keep centre-half James Tarkowski, who is wanted by West Ham and Leicester.

For years, Burnley have been one of the country’s best run clubs and, for the past four seasons, they have punched considerably above their weight thanks to Dyche’s impressive management and eye for untapped talent.

They finished 10th last term, equalling their Premier League record haul of 54 points from 2017/18, when they came seventh and qualified for Europe for the first time for 51 years.

But problems have been mounting behind the scenes at Turf Moor for some time.

After years spent unearthing hidden talents, from Tarkowski to goalkeeper Nick Pope, Dyche had hoped for increased investment in the playing squad this summer by targeting more established players.

Yet Garlick has appeared reluctant to alter the model that has worked so well for the club under his watch, a position that seems to have been hardened during talks over a prospective sale. Sources claim that this, in turn, has deepened tensions with the manager.

It has left Burnley in a state of limbo and a position where they are unable to compete for some of the players pursued by rivals such as Sheffield United, Aston Villa and Newcastle United.

For example, winger Ryan Fraser joined Newcastle on a free transfer from Bournemouth last week but his mooted £100,000 a week wage demands meant he was never even an option for Burnley, whose top earners are on around half of that sum.

Similarly, the highest fee Burnley have ever paid for a player is £15m - the cost of signing Chris Wood and Ben Gibson from Leeds United and Middlesbrough respectively. Villa, by contrast, have just signed forward Ollie Watkins for £28m after a stand-out season with Brentford in the Championship - a deal Burnley could never have countenanced.

Dyche publicly struggled to conceal his frustration at the situation when the Premier League resumed in June, and hit out at the club's failure to extend the contracts of players whose original deals were due to expire at the end of that month.

"We have let contracts run a long way down unfortunately," he said. "It is with the chairman now and I will wait and see what the chairman does with it because I am not in that loop."

Senior players are also known to have raised their growing concerns with the manager.

Dyche's exasperation is understood to have only increased in subsequent months as he faces the prospect of again being asked to work wonders on a meagre budget with a thin, ageing squad. “The main difficulty is finance, it has always been difficult here,” Dyche said this week. “It’s a challenge, we know that, the group needs reinforcements as we’ve lost players at the end of lockdown, good players who have served the club well. We are looking but it is not an easy situation when you are looking at the finances.”

Dyche had warned the club for two years about the perils of running down players’ contracts and is worried about a repeat with the likes of Cork, 31, and Westwood, 30, loyal servants and key assets who warrant improved contracts and who would be expensive to replace.

With two years left on his own contract, which is worth £3.5million annually including bonuses, Dyche seems unlikely to be going anywhere unless a club comes in for his services but it remains to be seen what changes a potential takeover would bring about.
Last edited by Chester Perry on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:09 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:02 pm
In this not very good analogy you're arguably wanting a new engine even though the current one is reliable enough. Or relegation is like losing your job and not having enough money in the bank to cover the lease payments.

To reiterate, what happens when we get relegated if we don't have a hefty cash reserve?
Wanting to maintain the performance of the engine by regular replacement of worn parts = strengthening the team when players leave or become beyond their best years

Failing to maintain the engine and putting the longevity of it at risk = failing to strengthen the team and allowing it to become weaker

Saving cash in the bank that could have been spent on improving the engine = having cash in the bank rather than using it to strengthen the team

Car breakdown due to lack of maintenance = relegation due to lack of strengthening the team

Fail to prepare = prepare to fail. And that is worryingly what seems to be advocated on here as long as we have money in the bank to pay the bills when we do fail.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:09 pm
Wanting to maintain the performance of the engine by regular replacement of worn parts = strengthening the team when players leave or become beyond their best years

Failing to maintain the engine and putting the longevity of it at risk = failing to strengthen the team and allowing it to become weaker

Saving cash in the bank that could have been spent on improving the engine = having cash in the bank rather than using it to strengthen the team

Car breakdown due to lack of maintenance = relegation due to lack of strengthening the team

Fail to prepare = prepare to fail. And that is worryingly what seems to be advocated on here as long as we have money in the bank to pay the bills when we do fail.
Well I did say it wasn't a very good analogy. The real question was at the end, what happens when we get relegated if we don't have a hefty cash reserve?

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:25 pm
I not saying Dyche isn't frustrated (who isn't?) but It is interesting that some papers are seemingly campaigning for Dyche to leave Burnley - compare the last part of today's press conference

with this piece just published by the Telegraph

Burnley in crisis: Sean Dyche's strained relationship with chairman, no new signings and rival takeover bids
JAMES DUCKER SEPTEMBER 15, 2020

Burnley are in crisis with manager Sean Dyche and chairman Mike Garlick's relationship having severely deteriorated and the club’s drastic need for new signings thrown into turmoil by the prospect of a takeover.

Two rival bidders are competing to take ownership of the Lancashire club but the timing of a potential buyout is wreaking havoc and with attempts to strengthen a threadbare squad before the close of the transfer window in less than three weeks’ time.
Clear as mud about a takeover then? :D

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Don’t buy the takeover rumours. If they were true we’d have done a deal by now - it’s dragging on like one of our transfer saga’s.

May be wrong but do think at least part of SD’s bemoaning of lack of funds is to publicly set the scene with the people we’re negotiating with.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm
May be wrong but do think at least part of SD’s bemoaning of lack of funds is to publicly set the scene with the people we’re negotiating with.
probably an element of truth in that - we dont want everyone to think we're flush and get fleeced do we now...
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm
Well I did say it wasn't a very good analogy. The real question was at the end, what happens when we get relegated if we don't have a hefty cash reserve?
Well if you have any players under contract, you then sell them like Bournemouth. Because the good one's won't want to stay anyway

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:28 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm
It maybe a silly answer, but dont get relegated...
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:31 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm
Don’t buy the takeover rumours. If they were true we’d have done a deal by now - it’s dragging on like one of our transfer saga’s.

There's definitely been discussions with BFC and the local councils/local business over investment/takeover. Whether it happens is down to the board.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm
probably an element of truth in that - we dont want everyone to think we're flush and get fleeced do we now...
I think Mike is genuinely a tight arse and we have a limited budget, I just think Dyche is helping the whole process by painting a picture that sets clubs, agents and players expectations accordingly... whilst also setting fan’s expectations if it doesn’t come off.

Only thing I don’t get is some of the snipes are a bit below the belt - we offered a tenner, etc - that could be him trying to get the sack to be fair.

It’s either a very clever good cop/bad cop routine or very worrying!

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:25 pm

sounds like its a challenge then...

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 pm
Well if you have any players under contract, you then sell them like Bournemouth. Because the good one's won't want to stay anyway
That's not putting you in a great position to go back up again though if you have no choice but to sell off your main assets.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:41 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:28 pm
It's a good plan but it's not one that many teams manage and I'd be surprised if Burnley were one given that even if we spent all our revenue each year we'd still have one of the smallest budgets.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:28 pm
I think you need to prepare yourself for the fact we will be relegated at some point, don’t let it come as a shock to you as I’m not sure you’d cope.

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm
That's not putting you in a great position to go back up again though if you have no choice but to sell off your main assets.
But like what has happened at Bournemouth, some won't want to stay.

Also, we always bet the ranch in the Championship.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 pm
But like what has happened at Bournemouth, some won't want to stay.

Also, we always bet the ranch in the Championship.
We won’t need to bet the ranch if we prepare properly now.....

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:49 pm

We'd lose the manager, and the best players will be sold this time!

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:09 pm

It seems that Daniel Waterhouse was correct about an investor, but this is the first time that we've heard about a rival bid.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:28 am
Garlick once said that any takeover would be for no more than 49% of the club, as the current directors want to remain in control, so that they could stop stupid moves. It was sometime last year, so please don't ask for a link. I think it was in one of his 'Club' interview videos though.

Finding an investor willing to do that won't be easy, and I doubt that there is a takeover in the offing.
😬