Burnley in crisis

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Re: Burnley in crisis

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:08 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm
There are examples where a purchase results in debt sitting on the club’s books (Man Utd?) so I think it is conceivable that a sale in essence takes money out of the club. It is also likely that assets sat in a bank are more attractive to buyers than player or facilities assets. The real question is - will the fans ever see any benefit from those profits in recent years, on or off the pitch? I think there is a chance that is no.
Hi Crosspool, have you seen some of the posts that Chester Perry has added to the MMT thread the past few days? There are some about Premier League teams borrowing money and the "finance houses" that are in this business of making these loans - Southampton £80 million at 9.5% is one example. There are others that report on investors, including discussion of bids for WHU, the latest - turned down - being reported at £400m.

These posts provide background to rumours of new investor/owner for Burnley. If these reports are accurate - there's certainly a lot of details - then MG/JB have two choices as I see it: (1) sell up for the best price they can get or (2) take the club down a division (or two). Maybe, if Mike Garlick has the appetite a buyer may agree to him maintaining a (modest) ownership interest and maintaining the "owned by a fan" link to the town. However, it might be better for the club and the town for Burnley to become one of the Northern Powerhouse clubs, in the same way that London is represented by half-a-dozen or so Premier League teams. I can imagine exciting times ahead if Lpool, City, ManU, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Everton and Leeds all establish themselves as NPH Premier League clubs. (I've placed the teams in order that they finished last season, rather than any other metric).

UTC
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm
What?
Which bit do you not understand ?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:06 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:15 pm
For whatever reason, it appears that our young players (with one notable exception) seem to stall in the Under 23s.
In recent years we have coached quite a few promising lads to L1 or 2 level. Maybe they just weren't good enough, but we spend a fair bit of money on "development" with little financial gain, if any.
I'll hazard a guess that clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and City etc have hundreds of younger players on their books across all their teams, and I'll hazard a guess that out of those hundreds (across those clubs) less than 20 will play PL football.

I've no clue to the profit ratio that these players provide for these clubs once they are sold ?

Liverpool make loads of money just by selling young players to Eddie Howe !

Rowls
Been Liked: 5101 times
Has Liked: 5168 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:06 pm
Well that avenue has dried up...
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6751 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:06 pm
I'll hazard a guess that clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and City etc have hundreds of younger players on their books across all their teams, and I'll hazard a guess that out of those hundreds (across those clubs) less than 20 will play PL football.

I've no clue to the profit ratio that these players provide for these clubs once they are sold ?

I totally agree.
Liverpool also bring players through to their first team squad, often almost directly from youth level.
We need to do this, the cost of the virtually non-playing half of our PL squad is skinting us.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 pm
Which bit do you not understand ?
Well.......most of it to be honest. Talk about covering all bases!