Should Furlough end ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1096 times

Should Furlough end ?

Post by Boss Hogg » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:37 am

Can’t continue forever. It’s been a abused by some companies where employees have continued to work and others where staff were already being laid off prior to the virus. A lot of people being paid by taxpayers to sit outside pubs midweek in the sunshine at the moment when they could be doing something more constructive.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Should Furlough end ?

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 am

Dunno if it should end, but maybe tighten the rules up.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 am

Needs to change to targeted support, some sectors still cant open, what are they meant to do if it ends.
These 3 users liked this post: Burnley1989 Zlatan tiger76

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 am

A lot of people don't understand the impact of what is coming, I still believe some sectors need help.

You have to feel for these people who wont have a job to go back to, all due to restrictions that are out of their control. I'd be careful about who we tar with the 'lazy sods, happy to be sat at home card' I've family members that are really struggling, financially and mentally as they're eating into their savings every month and don't know if in January they will have that financial buffer when they lose their jobs. (Myself included) Its very worrying at the moment, I know personally I'm working harder than ever for a reduced salary and no commission/bonuses, and struggling to engage any customers. My income is down 50% on last year, so I'll soon have to make some big changes but that my problem, I dont expect handouts from the government as I'm managing to get by.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 am

Yes. I was back for 2 months full time whilst still on “furlough”. I’m in 2 minds what to do at the minute tbh.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:59 am

Dyched wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 am
Yes. I was back for 2 months full time whilst still on “furlough”. I’m in 2 minds what to do at the minute tbh.
As in - your employer was falsifying furlough claims?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:02 pm

If people are only getting 80% of their income on the scheme then you would think it would only help for so long?

How many people have that 20% of their wage left over at the end of the month in normal circumstances?

It will be a huge help that they don't get too much in debt but slowly they will the longer it goes on.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm

There will be mass redundancies if it simply ends at the end of October
This user liked this post: KateR

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:59 am
As in - your employer was falsifying furlough claims?
Yes. I was told I was still on furlough after I’d returned for 2 months. They’ve took me off now. They told me as they thought it was quite funny. In some bizarre way. I’m against it obviously. There’s a few more things gone on recently too, but it could be pretty dumb to tell them to stick their job at this time. But that’s essentially where I am mentally with it.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:02 pm
If people are only getting 80% of their income on the scheme then you would think it would only help for so long?

How many people have that 20% of their wage left over at the end of the month in normal circumstances?

It will be a huge help that they don't get too much in debt but slowly they will the longer it goes on.
80% up to £30k so it will be a hell of a lot more than 20% for some

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Yes

For those saying that some sectors still can't open, I narrow it down to foreign tourist companies and the Air services that support them.

I think the problem of lockdown has been misread from the offset, as the government has twisted and turned to appease the media.
They should have stuck with the herd immunity they first invoked. Stopping perfectly healthy people from doing their job, to protect a very small percentage of the population, has knocked the country for 6.
We should have concentrated all our efforts into shielding those small minority that were at risk, and it should have been easy enough to put the steps in place to protect them, in fact easier than the mass changes that have occurred.
These 6 users liked this post: Burnley1989 Jakubclaret Anonymous Jenny55 HahaYeah Quicknick

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm
Yes. I was told I was still on furlough after I’d returned for 2 months. They’ve took me off now. They told me as they thought it was quite funny. In some bizarre way. I’m against it obviously. There’s a few more things gone on recently too, but it could be pretty dumb to tell them to stick their job at this time. But that’s essentially where I am mentally with it.
You can report them to HMRC on the quiet.....

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Dyched wrote:
Its a difficult situation to be in, like you say, when there aren't many jobs about you need to be very careful. Easy for me to say 'do the right thing' Im sure I'd be exactly the same in your position and it will have been going on at more companies with the employees unaware. Hopefully they will be caught eventually and made to pay it back

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Dyched wrote:
Do you think it will ultimately end in redundancy? That seems to be where a lot of furloughed people are going to end up.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Yes

For those saying that some sectors still can't open, I narrow it down to foreign tourist companies and the Air services that support them.

I think the problem of lockdown has been misread from the offset, as the government has twisted and turned to appease the media.
They should have stuck with the herd immunity they first invoked. Stopping perfectly healthy people from doing their job, to protect a very small percentage of the population, has knocked the country for 6.
We should have concentrated all our efforts into shielding those small minority that were at risk, and it should have been easy enough to put the steps in place to protect them, in fact easier than the mass changes that have occurred.
You've narrowed it down way too much. For example, the whole night time economy is at risk:

Nightclubs
Theaters
Live music venues
Event spaces
etc etc etc

This is the 5th biggest industry in the UK.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:06 pm
You can report them to HMRC on the quiet.....
It’s a pretty small business tbh. They’ll know who grassed them up.
This user liked this post: Granny WeatherWax

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm
Do you think it will ultimately end in redundancy? That seems to be where a lot of furloughed people are going to end up.
No it won’t. I’m 100% confident in that. I’m pretty secure in it, I’m just worried if I do the right thing (to me) and get out I’ll put myself into a vulnerable situation regards work. Something has to give soon though as being in lockdown and then generally being ****** off and unhappy is having quite an effect on me lately.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:30 pm

My daughter who works in hospitality and has been back at work for months. She has worked at the same restaurant for nearly 2 years, paid monthly and always got a pay slip, as the rest of the staff.

Not anymore though, she suspects as do her work mates that her employer is still claiming Furlough.

The government want to go to town on these unscrupulous business owners and fine them heavily. If they have spent the cash take out a private prosecution,
this is theft seize their personal assets

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Thought Irish Claret was back for a while

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

does need to end but not just stop from one day to the next, needs a new intermediary staged system to help, unemployment will rise a lot even with that but if it stops then will be a massive increase that will take a long time to get out of. Incentives are going to be around until end 2021 in my opinion but not in the present furlough scheme I think.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Risk of keep extending it is that you create moral hazard with people thinking that whatever happens the government will always come to the rescue. The situation we find ourselves in is very unfortunate but it can’t be pain free. The cost of propping up the economy now will be paid for by those in the future. The longer and more it is propped up the greater the future cost.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:15 pm

kaptin1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:09 pm
Risk of keep extending it is that you create moral hazard with people thinking that whatever happens the government will always come to the rescue. The situation we find ourselves in is very unfortunate but it can’t be pain free. The cost of propping up the economy now will be paid for by those in the future. The longer and more it is propped up the greater the future cost.
I don't mind paying for it in the future if it means we can help out those people who would be made redundant if furlough was to simply stop.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm
does need to end but not just stop from one day to the next, needs a new intermediary staged system to help, unemployment will rise a lot even with that but if it stops then will be a massive increase that will take a long time to get out of. Incentives are going to be around until end 2021 in my opinion but not in the present furlough scheme I think.
The government are going to make us pay for it at the end of the day. Allowances on the self employed ain't going to go up for a few years, and they're on about raising tax for online orders. We're going to be ultimately paying it back.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:17 pm

I am of the opinion it shouldn’t end. A lot of sectors aren’t even up to 50% capacity due to government restrictions, all that is going to happen is the number of unemployed is going to sky rocket

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:22 pm

I haven't worked since March and have received the sum of zero off both the government and employer. I'm one of those that has fallen through the cracks big time. IMHO furlough has to end sometime soon but I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that a targeted approach to supporting certain sectors will be required.

KateR

Post by KateR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm
The government are going to make us pay for it at the end of the day. Allowances on the self employed ain't going to go up for a few years, and they're on about raising tax for online orders. We're going to be ultimately paying it back.
yes of course, but decide if you want people to go on unemployment benefits and get paid while businesses scale back at the same time or if you want the government to help people who would otherwise be unemployed past Oct and stay in work allowing businesses to scale back up and help the overall economy. There is a good reason that Germany and France for example have there own schemes to help through to the end of 2021, I for one believe it's the best of a bad situation, but at the end of the day it's only my opinion and I wont be making the call.

Ending furlough cold turkey is a sure way to disaster, way beyond extremely high unemployment and I don't believe this Gov. will do it.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm
yes of course, but decide if you want people to go on unemployment benefits and get paid while businesses scale back at the same time or if you want the government to help people who would otherwise be unemployed past Oct and stay in work allowing businesses to scale back up and help the overall economy. There is a good reason that Germany and France for example have there own schemes to help through to the end of 2021, I for one believe it's the best of a bad situation, but at the end of the day it's only my opinion and I wont be making the call.

Ending furlough cold turkey is a sure way to disaster, way beyond extremely high unemployment and I don't believe this Gov. will do it.
I think we're delaying the inevitable with a lot of people, unfortunately. What you're saying regarding benefits is a valid point, but I sense the government know a lot of people will end up there anyway.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1644 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 pm

I’ve needed help from about 50 companies in the last six months for a major project. Due to furloughing, finding ones willing and able to help has been a nightmare. The reasons for furlough were because demand was low as we were locked down - now (I accept not everywhere) demand is booming and these firms are still understaffed or back only part time. People are being told 10-15 weeks waiting lists to get things made for them. The allure of free money is very high.

On the flip side, I have spoken to loads of self employed tradesmen who tell me they have claimed full self employed furlough, whereas as far as I can see they are working as normal.

So yes, it should end, unless there are very clever ways of targeting it only at the true areas of need.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:37 pm

Furlough was good for me. Our work came to a dramatic halt, but it mean't I could furlough everyone except me, slowly bring people out of furlough when things started to pick up, and bring some in and out of furlough. At some point it will need to stop, and I think there will be companies where it is just putting off the inevitable redundancies. But, I don't know when it should stop.

Like some of the posters above, I hope those who have misused the system get caught and fined/forced to pay back, with interest, what they have taken. I think if any are investigated it will be hard to cover it up.

KateR

Post by KateR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:55 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 pm
I think we're delaying the inevitable with a lot of people, unfortunately. What you're saying regarding benefits is a valid point, but I sense the government know a lot of people will end up there anyway.
yes for sure, whatever happens will not cover everyone and as I said in my first point, unemployment will go high by Christmas time and the Gov. do know that, it's a question of does it go high or up to and beyond record highs. C-19 is obviously still an issue and will be with us for quite a while, huge balancing act with many moving parts, the main aim will be to encourage, incentivize industry and the economy keeping as many in work as possible even if it becomes part time work with supplemental Gov. payments.

A lot of people are going to be in a world of hurt, the Gov. job in my opinion is to make that only apply to as low as possible, dropping furlough with nothing else will not do that, businesses and the economy in general will take a huge hit as people tighten the belt way back, no disposable income will mean no spending and it will be a knock on effect, many businesses open now will cut back or close completely throwing more people in to the same unemployment trap

Just because as usual some tosspots are scamming the scheme, it is no excuse to shut it down totally and hurt the majority, fully agree it needs tightening and stern examples should be made of these people whenever proven guilty.

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 pm
No it won’t. I’m 100% confident in that. I’m pretty secure in it, I’m just worried if I do the right thing (to me) and get out I’ll put myself into a vulnerable situation regards work. Something has to give soon though as being in lockdown and then generally being ****** off and unhappy is having quite an effect on me lately.
You’re not alone there Dyche. Plenty have been affected by it. Good luck with it all

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:50 pm

It should only be paid to those who have to shield on GPs advice and for those industries that cannot open up like the ones named above - theatres, live music venues etc.

Any employer caught 'misusing' the furlough scheme should be forced to pay the money back in full and also charged with fraud and prosecuted accordingly.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:01 pm

its a perfect cover story for Brexit. Lets be honest, any downside from Brexit is a tea party compared to the fallout from Covid-19

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Apparently Germany run a slightly scheme which is helping businesses.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -24-months

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Glad its not my call.

In its current form it is too expensive, open to abuse, and does not encourage businesses to address the issues they face

In simple terms the sooner we start this recession the sooner it will end. We cannot hide from it, it is happening

On the other hand there are sectors that are helpless, and will not survive without help

Perhaps it should be withdrawn and replaced by a new scheme targeting those that really need it

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:43 pm

this "stark reality" thread does make you double think why somebody very highly paid and in a very safe job (SD) has choosen to really bang that budget drum/lack of resources in these difficult times for the board/ the fans/the town ?
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:15 pm

It needs to end for a whole number of reasons:

- it's being abused. I'll spare you the stories but I know of at least 5 people on furlough but working on the quiet. I'm sure their businesses are distressed, like many, but it's wrong to use taxpayer money to fund your wage bill.

- it traps people. Let's face it, planes aren't going to be returning to the skies in any real numbers, ditto theatres opening, etc any time soon. Leaving these schemes open basically prevents people from moving on with their lives and finding new work.

- We'll all have to pay it back at some point. That will damage the economy in years to come, dampening growth and recovery. In the end, a V might be better than a U.

- As debt spirals, our credit rating will fall and our cost of servicing this debt will heighten. That's potentially devastating, particularly with Brexit looming. We do need some fiscal responsibility somewhere along the line.

I think it should be replaced by investment in creating jobs so that they exist as people come off furlough. Not sure the govt plans (insulating homes?) really cut the mustard on that front and we need to be far more ambitious. Could be supplemented by some targeted investments in covering costs of mothballing certain businesses like theatres, airports, airline companies, etc so they survive and can reemploy people when they can reopen/demand returns.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 pm

I had some building work done just after lockdown was eased by a local tradesman. When I asked if he could email me a copy of the invoice detailing all the costs involved he said he would but he had ' problems' with his computer and couldn't provide an invoice on headed paper. Me thinks he may have been claiming self employed furlough and working at the same time so didn't want any record of work done during this period hanging around. Oh and he wanted cash only as he didn't want to go to a bank as he didn't have time to queue up to withdraw money. ;) Good job his building work was spot on.

Furlough needs to carry on but be very tightly regulated to avoid abuse of it.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:02 pm

karatekid wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 pm
I had some building work done just after lockdown was eased by a local tradesman. When I asked if he could email me a copy of the invoice detailing all the costs involved he said he would but he had ' problems' with his computer and couldn't provide an invoice on headed paper. Me thinks he may have been claiming self employed furlough and working at the same time so didn't want any record of work done during this period hanging around. Oh and he wanted cash only as he didn't want to go to a bank as he didn't have time to queue up to withdraw money. ;) Good job his building work was spot on.

I think you know the answer to all that.

But if it were me, I'd chase it up as I'd be inquisitive.

Go on... ask him to send you an invoice with everything included :-D

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1096 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:31 pm

karatekid wrote:

No such thing as self employed furlough.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Dinning and tourism company I've worked for which has survived the last 45 years has just entered administration taking with it a dozen full time jobs and countless more zero hours and self employed staff.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:50 pm
It should only be paid to those who have to shield on GPs advice and for those industries that cannot open up like the ones named above - theatres, live music venues etc.
Very few people in those industries on a wage/salary. Most on zero hours or self employed.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm
You've narrowed it down way too much. For example, the whole night time economy is at risk:

Nightclubs
Theaters
Live music venues
Event spaces
etc etc etc

This is the 5th biggest industry in the UK.
I wouldn't close any of those. You don't need to fly to a theatre or nightclub, they should all be running as normal.
If an elderly person with underlying health conditions decides to go to a night club then its at his own risk.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:43 pm
I wouldn't close any of those. You don't need to fly to a theatre or nightclub, they should all be running as normal.
If an elderly person with underlying health conditions decides to go to a night club then its at his own risk.
It's not just elderly people with an underlying health condition.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
What's the relevance of flying?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 pm

karatekid wrote:

Eh? Self employed weren’t furloughed and could carry on working couldn’t they, even if they were eligible for the grant?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 pm

If we lived in a responsible world it would make sense to temporarily increase the taxes of those not effected by the lockdown to offset some of the cost of keeping people in employment.

These taxes can be paid back gradually over time.

I work in the NHS so am at no risk of losing my job. If the government turned round and temporarily increased by taxes to ensure people didn’t go short I would be all for it. Probably shouldn’t have to come to that though

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
And the most nonsensical post of the day goes too......

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Jenny55 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:34 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:36 pm
Dinning and tourism company I've worked for which has survived the last 45 years has just entered administration taking with it a dozen full time jobs and countless more zero hours and self employed staff.
And that is the sad thing about all of this. We all need to get back to work properly now, those who still have jobs. Then furlough would end. We cannot continue to plunge this country into a deep depression. Twenty people died today who died with Covid Which was diagnosed in the last 28 days. This is not dying on a ventilator in hospital it is dying WITH Covid, hence could have been anything. We cannot strangulate our economy because of so few deaths. Last week was the lowest Covid death rate on record since monitoring began.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm
What's the relevance of flying?
Transmission, the origin was china it's not rocket science to understand the correlation.