Jimmy Dunne

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:09 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:10 pm
I hope not. I’d rather we develop Dunne than buy a Championship CB.
Is that you Mr Garlick? :?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:43 am

Nothing personal but looked out of place (as did Long despite his 10 years at the club)
First goal could have been covered had he not unnecessarily lunged in and taken Taylor out !
Glad he got a goal but if he and Long are starting games we are in the mire

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:55 am

All the goals were preventable but the only one with slight blame to Dunne was the first one.

Need to get closer for the 4th, cut out the ball wide for the 2nd and mark better for the 3rd where too many were too far left and not marking the guy that scored.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 am

A post of mine from April 2018.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 15 times
Re: ARTICLE: Burnley defender nominated for monthly award in League Two
Post by 2 Bee Holed » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 am

Funnily enough I logged on to start a thread on Jimmy.
I went to watch Stanley on Saturday against Notts County.
For me, Jimmy was easily the best player on the pitch.
There were lots of Burnley fans there, so I am interested what they thought too.
He won everything in the air, cannot be far of Tarks height.
What impressed me most was his two footedness. He seems to prefer his left, but very comfortable with his right too.
The goalie rolled the ball to him 95% of the time and he played or launched it out and his distribution was good.
Why County never closed him down is beyond me!
Stanley's full backs were so far up, it felt like Stanley were playing with 2 at the back.
IMO, he is definitely ready for at least league 1.
My only concern with him staying at Stanley to do that, is the quality of the pitch.
Any league 1 dresso pitches? Give him six months in league one and then if we can the championship.
On current form I would be tying him down on a longer contract.
Any other Burnley fans seen him recently? Am I exaggerating?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:09 am
Is that you Mr Garlick? :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I want a Prem CB.

Regards,
Sean

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:36 am

The effort was 110% but he looked a long way away from playing at this level unfortunately. Caught out of position on a few occasions and panicked.

Would love him to go on and prove me wrong but.... unless he is a late bloomer it ain’t happening.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:54 am

For most of the goals there was a concerning lack of co-ordination, cohesion and composure at the back. The third goal was the worst five players round the man on the ball a couple more heading across to join in and Bardsley on the back post with three to mark.

Apart from his panic button moment for the first I would say that Dunne did no better or worse than some his senior colleagues plus he scored.

With the central defence missing both Mee and Tarky that is a massive amount of EPL experience vs a strong attacking unit like Leicester whose forward line contains the Golden Boot winner.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4183 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am

Doesn't seem that long ago you could read on here that defending is easy for our centre halfs due to how we line up and play.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:13 am

Just watched the goals again. Take back what I said about Jimmy’s mistake for the first. Vardy looked to be turning to shoot, Taylor looked off balance and getting a block in there was the natural thing to do.

Also noticed how poor Dwight was last night. Arguably could’ve done better with three of their goals.

First - let Castagne run past him, leaving him wide open for Vardy to pass to, who played it on to Barnes. Midfield also nowhere.

Third - he tracked back on the right with Bardsley covering him yet didn’t put Justin under any pressure whatsoever. He played it to Tielemans, who played a perfect ball.

Fourth - inexplicably went with the runner, not the man with the ball. Worst of the lot.

A very poor night from Dwight.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:23 am

I thought it was a decent enough debut considering the opposition and final result.

dsr
Been Liked: 4571 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm

As a young player in his debut, he needed to be partnering either Mee or Tarkowski. To keep the defence organised, we needed at least one of the organisers in chief. Mee and Dunne is a far different set up than Long and Dunne.

As it was, I thought the full backs were pulling inside more than usual to cover for the inexperience outside them, and as a result the wingers were having to defend more (not always successfully, in McNeil's case. Though with the fourth goal I do wonder if tracking the free winger was his proper job and someone else should have been blocking the shot.)

For a debut, it was a good performance. Whether he has it in him to make a Premier League defender, that's a question as yet unanswered. But I have certainly seen experienced players play worse. If he can learn the system, be consistent, and be the threat he was at the other end (he might get some 10 minutes centre forward cameos based on his dead ball threat!) then he has a chance.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 pm

I thought we lacked organisation, very harsh to suggest that Dunne was any more at fault than Long or anyone else on the pitch. We must have had five, six or more defenders in the box for goals 1, 3 and 4 but we didn't close down/mark up effectively enough. Goal 1 went in the bottom right corner, Goal 2 was an own goal that only Pope could have stopped, goal 3 was scored by a player free on the right post, and no one from midfield closed down for goal 4, I don't think any of those were Dunne's fault. I thought he was confident on the ball, a threat in the air and was very very commited.

Sean Dyche once said that clubs like Manchester United don't give chances to young players like Michael Keane because they're going to make a number of mistakes and they can't afford for them to make those in the first team. That's why Burnley was a better fit for Michael because we could accept that he was still learning the game. I think Dunne was more at fault for the goal in the cup game but after that he found his composure.

It's probably a good thing that we've got the game against Millwall to come because it'll give Long and Dunne another to chance to improve their understanding with the rest of the team. Let's not forget that the Sheffield United game was the first time they've played together in any game including the friendlies.

If Sean didn't have faith in him my guess is that he'd have played Charlie Taylor at centre back. We did start yesterday with Pieters on the bench.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:33 pm

I thought Leicester murdered us in the wide positions We played so narrow, particularly Taylor, that they had chances to set up shots for central attackers.
Can't blame Dunne for that

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Some of the defending last night took me back to the debacle at Bramhall Lane last season and I’m in no way possible pointing the finger solely at the 2 CB’s playing last night.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:37 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:13 am
Just watched the goals again. Take back what I said about Jimmy’s mistake for the first. Vardy looked to be turning to shoot, Taylor looked off balance and getting a block in there was the natural thing to do.

Also noticed how poor Dwight was last night. Arguably could’ve done better with three of their goals.

First - let Castagne run past him, leaving him wide open for Vardy to pass to, who played it on to Barnes. Midfield also nowhere.

Third - he tracked back on the right with Bardsley covering him yet didn’t put Justin under any pressure whatsoever. He played it to Tielemans, who played a perfect ball.

Fourth - inexplicably went with the runner, not the man with the ball. Worst of the lot.

A very poor night from Dwight.
Agreed.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:14 am

Very good debut...end of..