Is it time to make our feelings know?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: Is it time to make our feelings know?

Post by Spiral » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:31 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:19 am
If you think every successful business has been built off never taking a slight risk then it's you who has your head stuck somewhere.
The 'risk' in building a business is the potential to lose the asset put up as liability should the business fail and the loan not be repaid. What do you suggest we mortgage? Perhaps, as a fairly well established PL club, we should strive for sustainability, for that is within our grasp?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:36 am

As ever, and especially so given...things right now...this is all comically ill-defined, because we as fans aren't privy to today's cash register nor the value found in the market, and so there's a lot of ill-judged hyperbole and posturing going on. All I'm asking is folks be a bit more realistic before acting like...you know...football fans.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 am

Spiral wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:31 am
The 'risk' in building a business is the potential to lose the asset put up as liability should the business fail and the loan not be repaid. What do you suggest we mortgage? Perhaps, as a fairly well established PL club, we should strive for sustainability, for that is within our grasp?
did you actually bother to read what I put or are you purposefully ignoring the word investment ?

Our assets are our players - I'm assuming you would agree that should we go down we could sell Tarks, Pope, McNeil, Taylor, Wood etc and comfortably bring in the best part of 70 + million in doing do ?

Nobody is asking the board to give Dyche 100 million as that truly would be unrealistic and above our current means. I don't see that a player investment of between 10-15 million should be of any major consequence at this stage to the business but could be of great consequence on the pitch which would then be the consequence to the business.

We'll agree to disagree on the way forward but I'll go with the managers opinion on this one that without adding to the squad it will be enormously difficult to retain our status in the division

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:34 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 am
did you actually bother to read what I put or are you purposefully ignoring the word investment ?

Our assets are our players - I'm assuming you would agree that should we go down we could sell Tarks, Pope, McNeil, Taylor, Wood etc and comfortably bring in the best part of 70 + million in doing do ?

Nobody is asking the board to give Dyche 100 million as that truly would be unrealistic and above our current means. I don't see that a player investment of between 10-15 million should be of any major consequence at this stage to the business but could be of great consequence on the pitch.

I'll go with the managers opinion on this one.
Basing the entire assumption of financial stability/survivability upon relegation on the tenuous orientation of a marketplace which looks to be a bit of a bubble ready to burst is terrible management. I'm not saying we shouldn't spend, nor am I presenting any of my points as though you've exclaimed that we should spend the somewhat arbitrary figure of £100m, so you can drop that line. But your entire argument for 'investment' (funny way of spelling 'gambling') is based on the assumption that we can guarantee value from our crown jewels. This is nonsensical during a market depression. And while we're at it, as justifiable as his frustrations may be privately, I think Dyche has been acting like a complete tw@t with his public snide remarks, either through stupidity or malice allowing or doing little to address a narrative that has formed which harms the club. I've quoted the text you originally posted because I think is speaks more vividly to the psychology at play among some. Folks are buying into the conflict he has constructed. I expected better from Dyche. I want Burnley managers to circle the waggons when it matters. I apologise for being a Burnley fan before a Dyche fan.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 am

Spiral wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:34 am
Basing the entire assumption of financial stability/survivability upon relegation on the tenuous orientation of a marketplace which looks to be a bit of a bubble ready to burst is terrible management. I'm not saying we shouldn't spend, nor am I presenting any of my points as though you've exclaimed that we should spend the somewhat arbitrary figure of £100m, so you can drop that line. But your entire argument for 'investment' (funny way of spelling 'gambling') is based on the assumption that we can guarantee value from our crown jewels. This is nonsensical during a market depression. And while we're at it, as justifiable as his frustrations may be privately, I think Dyche has been acting like a complete tw@t with his public snide remarks, either through stupidity or malice allowing or doing little to address a narrative that has formed which harms the club. I've quoted the text you originally posted because I think is speaks more vividly to the psychology at play among some. Folks are buying into the conflict he has constructed. I expected better from Dyche. I want Burnley managers to circle the waggons when it matters. I apologise for being a Burnley fan before a Dyche fan.
apology accepted :D
We'll agree to completely disagree on this one :)

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am

Some people are missing my point. I’m not saying the board dip into their own personal pockets. I’m saying they need to dip into the clubs pockets. But if that isn’t good enough to bring in the 2/3/4 players the manager NEEDS (not wants needs) then sorry things must change. Investors need to be found. Unfortunately football has changed where by our model of running a football club is leaving us behind most championship clubs.
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 am

bf2k wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am
Some people are missing my point. I’m not saying the board dip into their own personal pockets. I’m saying they need to dip into the clubs pockets. But if that isn’t good enough to bring in the 2/3/4 players the manager NEEDS (not wants needs) then sorry things must change. Investors need to be found. Unfortunately football has changed where by our model of running a football club is leaving us behind most championship clubs.
What funds are in the clubs pockets?

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 am

It’s always the same with the pen pushers doing things on paper.. in theory all fine and grand, but back in the real world when there’s a fire in the building it needs dealt with and damage repaired. Failing to act will bring the building down.

We need players. At an absolute minimum 4 or 5 capable of playing for the first XI. That’s without losing any more players as it is.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 am

Some on here are being led like sheep by the Deadwood trolls. Complain about this, complain about that. Signs of unrest so let's stir the pot. They must be loving it, knowing that their hate is being accepted on here by true but naive Burnley fans who are oblivious to the obvious.

Now they are suggesting some kind of protest movement, which thankfully, does seem to have got shot down by most.

Why don't we all just settle down, think about things rationally and put things in perspective? We are a small town team who are starting our fifth consecutive year in the EPL. In the last three years we've finished 7th and 10th and could have probably done the same again this year, but then Covid-19 got in the way. Football clubs all over the country are struggling with unknown financial implications. Even Man U say it's affecting them.

No one, except the board of BFC, knows much about the financial implications of Covid-19 (TV rights, gate receipts,hospitality.) and with the public largely ignoring advice, the disease seems to be surging again. How can the board plan in that environment? So what do they do? The only thing they can do. Batten down the hatches and hope the storm doesn't last too long.

Yesterday, we put on a great show against one of the better teams in the division, even with a squad devastated by injuries. Maybe, in the next few days, that squad will get some additions that will give us a better chance to change those shows into firm results? No one knows, but I'm as sure as I can be, that the board of BFC are trying their hardest to improve the club without gambling on it's entire future.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:04 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 am
Some on here are being led like sheep by the Deadwood trolls. Complain about this, complain about that. Signs of unrest so let's stir the pot. They must be loving it, knowing that their hate is being accepted on here by true but naive Burnley fans who are oblivious to the obvious.

Now they are suggesting some kind of protest movement, which thankfully, does seem to have got shot down by most.

Why don't we all just settle down, think about things rationally and put things in perspective? We are a small town team who are starting our fifth consecutive year in the EPL. In the last three years we've finished 7th and 10th and could have probably done the same again this year, but then Covid-19 got in the way. Football clubs all over the country are struggling with unknown financial implications. Even Man U say it's affecting them.

No one, except the board of BFC, knows much about the financial implications of Covid-19 (TV rights, gate receipts,hospitality.) and with the public largely ignoring advice, the disease seems to be surging again. How can the board plan in that environment? So what do they do? The only thing they can do. Batten down the hatches and hope the storm doesn't last too long.

Yesterday, we put on a great show against one of the better teams in the division, even with a squad devastated by injuries. Maybe, in the next few days, that squad will get some additions that will give us a better chance to change those shows into firm results? No one knows, but I'm as sure as I can be, that the board of BFC are trying their hardest to improve the club without gambling on it's entire future.
Back away from the conspiracy theories..... if BF2K has retained the same username from Claretsmad, then he's 100% a loyal and passionate Burnley fan.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:04 am
Back away from the conspiracy theories..... if BF2K has retained the same username from Claretsmad, then he's 100% a loyal and passionate Burnley fan.
I take you at your word but what he's been suggesting is not what a true fan would do in the current situation. Anyway, I wasn't on about a particular individual, I was talking about the numerous Deadwood trolls on here, who are just loving this situation and stirring up dissent.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 am

The window doesn't close until October what's all the fuss about?

We always do our business late in the window and this one is no different. This thread should be pulled until the window shuts

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:40 am

I suppose the current situation does give the complainers something new to complain about. Last year there were loads of complaints about how we signed an expensive centre half and sat him on the bench. This year the complaints are that we haven't got an expensive centre half sat on the bench.

I dare say it's an entirely different set of complainers.
These 3 users liked this post: Tall Paul LeadBelly Greenmile

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 am
I take you at your word but what he's been suggesting is not what a true fan would do in the current situation. Anyway, I wasn't on about a particular individual, I was talking about the numerous Deadwood trolls on here, who are just loving this situation and stirring up dissent.
It’s not what you would do, but there is a simmering frustration in many Burnley fans. If you look at frustration in the likes of JDRobbo voicing frustration you will see how deep those frustrations are going.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:54 am

Let’s get this right, the current predicament we find ourselves in is an absolute ******* shambles.

We’ve been kicking the can down the road in terms of recruitment and squad rejuvenation for years. And this year it might just come back to bite us on the arse.

No-one is asking for us to jeopardise our future, or spend like Aston Villa. All people want is a squad to compete, which is a bare minimum requirement and should be a given.

Fans have every right to complain at the moment. We’re a Premier League club, and off the pitch, we need to start acting like one. And quick.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:54 am

mdd2 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:18 pm
We would certainly make our feelings known if ticket prices doubled to help with the doubling of transfer fees
One of the stupidest post ever..........we don't expect £30 million player's in at Burnley but we should be making 10/15 million pound signings our top priced players at least, our net spend on transfers in the seven year's spent in the premier league is in the black, and we have an ageing very thread bare squad we should be using some of that stacked up money to improve this squad and back this fantastic management team or this season we will go down and we will lose Dyche.

This board has done a fantastic job and given me and the rest of the clarets a life time of fantastic memories, returning to the top flight, holding our own against the big clubs and European football, but that's in the past and if they don't or can't back the club anymore we will undo all that hard work, they need to step aside and let someone else have a go, it needs investment to keep up with moving times.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 am

Top Claret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 am
The window doesn't close until October what's all the fuss about?
The fuss for me is the fact that the season started last week and we are down to the bare bones squad wise.
We knew in May that several first team squad players were leaving, 4 months later, just let that sink in......... 4 months later, and we have no new blood in other than a 3rd choice keeper who won't even be gracing the bench.
When you throw in the historical evidence that SD tends not to play new signings for a good while once they sign, it doesn't bode well for the next few games.
We cannot give teams a head start in this league, it increases the likelyhood that we will be fighting relegation, yet that's what we do every year.
Eventually this approach will bite us on the bum, and unless we sort our $hit out, this could be the season.

I feel for SD, I really do.
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am

Just been over to Clubshop, its started already....anyone recognise the culprits !
Attachments
garlick out 5.jpg
garlick out 5.jpg (423.27 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Kgun5
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by Kgun5 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:21 am

EarbyClaret wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:28 pm
I'd have said Brownhill was Defour's replacement as a CM

Hendrick only played wide-right because JBG was injured and he offered more defensively that Lennon - we have no like-for-like wide right cover - Lennon has gone, JBG is injured again, Brady can do a job there but is injured again - we can't move Brownhill out there from CM because Cork is injured

So we need two replacements for Hendrick and Lennon
This post reminded me of a part of the movie Gettysburg, during the defense of Little Round Top.
- Colonel, sir! We'd like to report.

- What?

- Vincent is badly wounded. He got hit a few minutes after the fight started. We've been reinforced at the top of the hill by Weed's brigade up front. This is what they tell me. But Weed is dead. So they moved Hazlett's battery of artillery up there. But Hazlett's dead. Far as I can tell...

- Can you get any ammunition from up there?

- I don't know. It's a mess. But they're holding good!
Last edited by Kgun5 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eyres_11
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Eyres_11 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:24 am

jurek wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:03 pm
How do we make our feelings known?

Send a petition to the Chairman?
Attempt to raise some money for the club?
How's about some crowd funding?

I'd be willing to put up £500 at a push a thousand.
Could we find another 20000 or more?
Is that a serious suggestion?

Raise money for a multi million pound premier league football club, who by our own managers admission "have money"

:lol:

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 am
It’s not what you would do, but there is a simmering frustration in many Burnley fans. If you look at frustration in the likes of JDRobbo voicing frustration you will see how deep those frustrations are going.
I'm well aware of the frustration, I'm frustrated too, but the constant whingeing on these boards won't change the situation. It is what it is and if people continue to refuse to adhere to Covid restrictions, the financial situation will persist far longer than it needs to.

bf2k

Post by bf2k » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:03 pm

I’ll ask the question again ??? Time for the fans to make our feelings known to this board.

bf2k

Post by bf2k » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:04 am
Dande, I am the same poster 🙂 (although I want at the orient game so maybe I’m not a real supporter...despite not being quite old enough 😉).

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:08 pm

bf2k wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:03 pm
I’ll ask the question again ??? Time for the fans to make our feelings known to this board.
I think a boycott is in order.

bf2k

Post by bf2k » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Braindead wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:08 pm
I think a boycott is in order.
Clever...😒