ARTICLE: Clarets hang on to claim narrow win against Blackpool

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

ARTICLE: Clarets hang on to claim narrow win against Blackpool

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:44 am

Amazing game in 1972 against Blackpool, one we really should have won more convincingly.

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/clarets-ha ... -blackpool

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clarets hang on to claim narrow win against Blackpool

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:25 am

One of a number of games I didn't attend that season due to being based in London. So I began the routine of being close to a radio or TV set from about 4.30 onwards for games like these. Don't really associate Dave Thomas with 'bookings' but I'm sure the same thing happened to him at the beginning of the previous season.
A word for the referee, he did look like a Dickensian character and I still maintain that a few seasons later on the opening day of the season in a game featuring Ipswich Town on MOTD he actually took all the players off the pitch because the rain was too heavy and disrupting the game.

Edit just need to complete post

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am

It's weird how your memory can play tricks. I remember Thomas scoring the fourth but thought he'd cut inside onto his left foot and smashed it in the top corner from twenty yards.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:25 am
One of a number of games I didn't attend that season due to being based in London. So I began the routine of being close to a radio or TV set from about 4.30 onwards for games like these. Don't really associate Dave Thomas with 'bookings' but I'm sure the same thing happened to him at the beginning of the previous season.
A word for the referee, he did look like a Dickensian character and I still maintain that a few seasons later on the opening day of the season in a game featuring Ipswich Town on MOTD he actually took all the players off the pitch because the rain was too heavy and disrupting the game.

Edit just need to complete post
He was a good referee though even though he looked comical.

You are right on the Ipswich game too on the opening day of the season. It was Kirkpatrick who was ref that day when play was suspended.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7195 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:21 pm

I remember being at this match. I went on my little motorbike.