Good Window

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Good Window

Post by Burnley87 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Wilson, Stephens and Dawson

Tarky Stays

Is that a Good window or underwhelming

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Re: Good Window

Post by jedi_master » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:36 pm

And punting Gibson out, don't forget.

Good window if all that comes off I will be very happy indeed.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18204 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:36 pm
And punting Gibson out, don't forget.

Good window if all that comes off I will be very happy indeed.
Me too 🙂
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Wouldn't be too despondent if it's just Wilson, Stephens and Norris with Mee and Tarkowski coming back.

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:48 pm

We need another centre half and Dawson looks the obvious fit

If you look at the 4 we have let go Lennon, Hendrick, Hart and Gibson

I would say overall we will have strengthened the Squad and I presume wages would naturally have dropped with Gibson and Harts wages off the books
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 am

Be a good window if all in the OP happens, it will be a great one if we can get a wide man in, we are down to our bare bones there, and if it means Brownhill going out wide, it only leaves us with 2 CM too

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am

Didn't Dyche say that with Tarky, Mee, Long and Dunne we have a good set of centre backs. We would definitely need someone like Dawson if Tarky goes but otherwise is there any point getting another Centre half in?

Not forgetting of course that Stephens isn't yet in the building and Wilson is nowhere near over the line.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:37 am

dibraidio wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am
Didn't Dyche say that with Tarky, Mee, Long and Dunne we have a good set of centre backs. We would definitely need someone like Dawson if Tarky goes but otherwise is there any point getting another Centre half in?
And an encouraging performance from Thomas too by all accounts.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:57 am

Dawson gives us extra cover at Right Back too - both Bardsley and Lowton are out of contract at the end of this season.
I think it would be a good time to get him in, strikes me as the type who could play into his mid-30s.

Also means if Tarks still wants away at Christmas we might have enough depth to sell him and survive at least for this season. We've been very fortunate with Mee and Tarkowski staying fit over the past couple of seasons, the start of this one is a bit of a wake-up call. With all due respect to Kevin Long, I wouldn't want to hang my hat on him over a long term period (he is also out of contract at the end of the season).

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:00 am

Had it not been for fresh injuries to Brady and JBG I would be happy with that.

Maybe a loan on top to cover the right side of midfield and the hope those two will be back for the second half of the season.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:02 am

My worry at present is that the injuries seem to have increased, and generally in the past we have had an incredible record of fitness. Good examples are Mee and Tarks who you could bank on playing almost every game, if not every minute-not a surprise in view of squad size and game intensity. For this reason you need 3 centre halves who can drop straight in with Long as a back-up. Good case for getting Thomas and Dunne out to championship sides until Christmas.Both seem to be potential first teamers

So for me Dawson, Wilson (or Gray from Leicester) and Stephens +Tarks staying would be ideal

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:24 am

That would be a good window. But being slightly greedy, I would like to see another wide player come in too (maybe a loan).

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 am

Underwhelming

Stephens

Okay player, but he strikes me as a cheap sticking plaster to avoid playing the first half of the season with only two central midfielders. After that he is another older player who is on our books for two years. With a full complement of four central midfielders, and total wages that could be back to near our limit, I really can't see how we could add a new young central midfielder without releasing a current player.

I would have preferred a younger player or a loan player. Two full Summer windows looking for central midfielders and both of them ended with last ditch options. Stephen is a far less riskier outcome than Drinkwater, but it ties up another position for two years. Maybe we will stick with Cork, Westwood and Stephens for the longer term and run them until their legs fall off - replacing them all at the same time.

Wilson

A reasonably good technical player, somewhat flimsy and easily knocked off the ball. Fits the mould for a youngish player with some development potential left in him, but a buying price of 15-20m might not leave much headroom for financial growth. We need a right winger who can create chances for our forwards and fulfil both midfield and defensive duties. I can't see how a left footed, inverted winger, who constantly strives to drift in and score satisfies those requirements. He reminds me of a less physical Jarrod Bowen.

I could see him as a future replacement for Mc Neil on the left wing, albeit an inferior one. However, we currently have Mc Neil and Brady ( when he returns from injury ) to cover the left, so I don't see how he ticks an urgent need box on that side of the pitch.

Dawson

Another older player who would bring our tally of right sided centre backs up to three. I'm not sure how we class Dunne. Dawson has played right back in the past, but we already have two right backs at the moment. If I recall correctly he wasn't very happy when he played on the right and he can't be viewed as a long term option for that position. Another cheap sticking plaster who would soak up the space in the wage bill we have just created.

Tarks

Very happy to see Tarks stay, excellent player for the club.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:28 am

Selby Claret wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:37 am
And an encouraging performance from Thomas too by all accounts.
The little bits I have seen of him he looks a very good prospect and dangerous from set pieces. Reminds me a little of The first times I saw Keane play before he signed for us.

Dunne also done well so far and too looks dangerous at set pieces.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:31 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 am
Underwhelming

Stephens

Okay player, but he strikes me as a cheap sticking plaster to avoid playing the first half of the season with only two central midfielders. After that he is another older player who is on our books for two years. With a full complement of four central midfielders, and total wages that could be back to near our limit, I really can't see how we could add a new young central midfielder without releasing a current player.

I would have preferred a younger player or a loan player. Two full Summer windows looking for central midfielders and both of them ended with last ditch options. Stephen is a far less riskier outcome than Drinkwater, but it ties up another position for two years. Maybe we will stick with Cork, Westwood and Stephens for the longer term and run them until their legs fall off - replacing them all at the same time.

Wilson

A reasonably good technical player, somewhat flimsy and easily knocked off the ball. Fits the mould for a youngish player with some development potential left in him, but a buying price of 15-20m might not leave much headroom for financial growth. We need a right winger who can create chances for our forwards and fulfil both midfield and defensive duties. I can't see how a left footed, inverted winger, who constantly strives to drift in and score satisfies those requirements. He reminds me of a less physical Jarrod Bowen.

I could see him as a future replacement for Mc Neil on the left wing, albeit an inferior one. However, we currently have Mc Neil and Brady ( when he returns from injury ) to cover the left, so I don't see how he ticks an urgent need box on that side of the pitch.

Dawson

Another older player who would bring our tally of right sided centre backs up to three. I'm not sure how we class Dunne. Dawson has played right back in the past, but we already have two right backs at the moment. If I recall correctly he wasn't very happy when he played on the right and he can't be viewed as a long term option for that position. Another cheap sticking plaster who would soak up the space in the wage bill we have just created.

Tarks

Very happy to see Tarks stay, excellent player for the club.
Spot on !

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:38 am

Burnley87 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:34 pm
Wilson, Stephens and Dawson
Tarky Stays
Is that a Good window or underwhelming
Good window, but I feel we're jumping ahead of ourselves with Wilson.

If Wilson signs, then it's clearly at least a decent window.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:58 am

Stephens is a steady eddie at this level- so although not an exciting signing, he'll be a useful addition to the squad.

Harry Wilson- this would be an exciting capture, he's got an eye for goal, and it's no coincidence Bournemouth's results tailed off badly when he was out injured, I do wonder if we'll splash out the reported asking price though, 15-20m is a lot of outlay for a club of our means.

Dawson- again a solid signing, but he'll only be on our radar if Tarky leaves surely.

In the circumstances if we get Stephens & Wilson over the line, and more importantly keep hold of Tarks it'll have been a decent window.

I do wonder if the performances of some of our younger players may have shifted Sean's stance on incomings, we have to be careful not to overload the squad with players who'll offer little to the 1st team, but who could potentially hamper the development of the emerging talents.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18204 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:02 am

Dyche on Sky Sports News "The Football Show" this morning

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2166 times
Has Liked: 3097 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:50 am

dibraidio wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am

Not forgetting of course that Stephens isn't yet in the building and Wilson is nowhere near over the line.
I suspect Dawson coming in would mean one of Dunne or Long leaving on a recall clause for some 1st team games

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Not sure we need Dawson unless
Tarks leaves. I think some of the youngsters
coming in and performing well may persuade
Dyche that we’ve got more than decent
cover both at CB and CM.
I think the future of the club is bringing on
a few of them and there’s nothing better than
seeing young talent develop into the first team.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:57 pm

Keeping Tarky would be huge , adding the speed and trickery of Wilson and back up of Stevens /Dawson would excellent imo

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:03 pm

Stephens, Wilson & Norris in with keeping Tarks represents a good window for me.

I am all for letting Thomas, Dunne, Glennon, Benson be in and around the group.