ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by aggi » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:06 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:21 am
I know little about the Egyptian guy, only of what I read on line from an article back in 2014. The antics of the lawyer who was only doing his job have little concern to me.

What does concern me though is ALK Capital who I believe or an investment company. ALK sound dodgy with the main players being able to protect themselves from a financial loss by passing on the burden to other investors who have jumped on board.
Once investors realise that they aren't going to get a good return, they will pull out and leave the club with no working capital and massive debt
This doesn't seem to match up to what happened in the past. He's often been a director of shareholder which isn't what you'd expect to see from a lawyer acting in a professional advisory role.

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:13 pm

After today I think their offers will have been rescinded if they’ve any sense. If they haven’t Garlick and his Merry men will snap their hands off and run!!

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:23 pm

I thought the same - would anyone seriously consider paying £200m for a club seemingly in trouble on and off the field in such worrying/uncertain times!? Could quite easily see any potential deal falling through at this rate.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:29 pm

NickBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:23 pm
I thought the same - would anyone seriously consider paying £200m for a club seemingly in trouble on and off the field in such worrying/uncertain times!? Could quite easily see any potential deal falling through at this rate.
If the suggestions these talks have been going on for well over a year (do they communicate via carrier pigeon!?)why on earth would they walk away now!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:33 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:29 pm
If the suggestions these talks have been going on for well over a year (do they communicate via carrier pigeon!?)why on earth would they walk away now!
Because quite possibly the value of the investment might be diminishing.

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:34 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:33 pm
Because quite possibly the value of the investment might be diminishing.
Exactly. Nobody is even sure if the season will be completed at this stage.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:47 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:46 pm
He is fat. He is called Mike and he has ****** a lot of our supporters off.

He is, however, far richer than I am so I doubt he’s bothered.
Grow up and show some respect.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:48 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:47 pm
Grow up and show some respect.
Well done on getting offended for him. I’ve noticed that you seem to do that a lot.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:48 pm

NickBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:34 pm
might be our only savior at this point :?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:49 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:48 pm
Well done on getting offended for him. I’ve noticed that you seem to do that a lot.
I think you need to look up the word ‘offend’.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:49 pm
I think you need to look up the word ‘offend’.
I really don’t, sweet cheeks.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:51 pm

please try to not ruin yet another thread

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:51 pm
please try to not ruin yet another thread
Not sure if you’re referring to me, and I don’t intend to ruin a thread. I do think it’s perfectly reasonable to point out how petty and vitriolic it is to repeatedly refer to our chairman as Fat Mike.
This user liked this post: Aclaret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:53 pm
Not sure if you’re referring to me, and I don’t intend to ruin a thread. I do think it’s perfectly reasonable to point out how petty and vitriolic it is to repeatedly refer to our chairman as Fat Mike.
I wasn't Riley and you are correct
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:34 pm

After today the sooner the better.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:36 pm

NickBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:34 pm
I was astonished at the actual question hence replying even though it wasn’t direct, if anything substantially changes or certainly shows signs that it could, of course it’s loses value & becomes less attractive.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:48 pm

Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:29 pm
I don't know if I've got these facts right, but hasn't it been said that the Egyptian guy and the lawyer we claiming they'd bought Charlton earlier this summer? Similarly, wasn't Alan Pace linked with Sheff Utd, or was it Barnsley, or another team last autumn?

I guess it's possible that both these potential new investors had been in contact with Mike Garlick 12 months ago. However, I can't see them making bids to buy the club back then - not when they were possibly conflicted by bidding to buy two other clubs.

Takeover activity is complicated. Discussions and serious negotiations can and often do extend over several months - and end up with no deal being completed.

The final value of a deal can be contingent on a "work out." For example, we will buy your business for £X and (for a commercial business) if the business earns profits exceeding £Y in the following year/or other period, we will pay an additional amount of £z.

Maybe similar discussions are ongoing between MG's representatives and the prospective new investors. (If not, I'm happy to get involved - on the "standard terms" - and advise on steps to get this to a satisfactory conclusion. ;)

longside72
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by longside72 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:54 pm

Maybe why the 60 million is 'deferred' with the egyptian bid ?

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: ALK Capital...

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:41 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:56 am
Where is the evidence they are asset strippers?

If they are paying £200m, what margin do
You think there is in asset stripping the club?

Do asset strippers often take over a healthy business to strip it down?
Yes, that’s the best way to make money.
PCC have done it successfully for years.

I used to dread them taking over our good suppliers, which they did frequently.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:10 am

A positive story from the Bury saga re farnell

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-22938435

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 am

Burnley FC is an absolute bargain at £200m for a Premier league club with lots of assets and no debts
I am surprised it's not attracted more bidders

bennitor
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by bennitor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 am

Grumps wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:10 am

I'm not sure I would use the words "I'd trust him with my life" if I'd simply been asked about comment on a football lawyer (to whom I owed nothing) who I'd done some prior business with. Interesting he was also the one who brought Farnell on board in the first place - it would obviously be in his interest therefore to show he had been a success.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:13 am

bennitor wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 am
I'm not sure I would use the words "I'd trust him with my life" if I'd simply been asked about comment on a football lawyer (to whom I owed nothing) who I'd done some prior business with. Interesting he was also the one who brought Farnell on board in the first place - it would obviously be in his interest therefore to show he had been a success.
So do you think he's telling porkies?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:49 am

Grumps wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:10 am

That's a bit over the top for me.

Seems a bit like Farnell needed some good publicity and called in a favour. Doesnt seem very authentic to me, a little staged shall we say.

I could be wrong though
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony FactualFrank

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 am

Not sure even the takeover will come in time to save us now, we are always told January is hard to get incomings, the fees are higher, takes time to integrate them, who wants to join a ship wreck unless the numbers are silly.

The damage was being done a couple of windows ago, and this summer was hust pure neglect.

People kept mentioning we could be the next X, Y or Z club for spending money, however the path we have taken now means we could end up far worse than spending a few quid freshening up the squad should the takeover not happen and/or we go down.

I heard yesterday we have 10 players OOC in the summer, and you can add Tary to the departures too before then, and that's even if we stay up!
Massive rebuild needed, but most people saw this 2 years ago.
These 3 users liked this post: Top Claret BOYSIE31 Vegas Claret

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:49 am

Seems a bit like Farnell needed some good publicity and called in a favour. Doesnt seem very authentic to me, a little staged shall we say.

I could be wrong though
He's been asked the question and answered it.

Not sure he needs any good publicity, if they are going to buy the club, they will, doesn't matter what the fans think

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:07 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 am
Not sure even the takeover will come in time to save us now, we are always told January is hard to get incomings, the fees are higher, takes time to integrate them, who wants to join a ship wreck unless the numbers are silly.

The damage was being done a couple of windows ago, and this summer was hust pure neglect.

People kept mentioning we could be the next X, Y or Z club for spending money, however the path we have taken now means we could end up far worse than spending a few quid freshening up the squad should the takeover not happen and/or we go down.

I heard yesterday we have 10 players OOC in the summer, and you can add Tary to the departures too before then, and that's even if we stay up!
If there's lots of money available for transfers then I can't see them keeping Dyche, it's not his strength.
He's bought 5 players over 10m with only Wood being a success.(I haven't included Jay Rod as I don't know the terms for the 2nd 5m installment or if we have paid it)

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:25 am

Edit - Duplicate
Last edited by MACCA on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 324 times

Post by HahaYeah » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:25 am

Mirror article:

Burnley fans have been told controversial sports lawyer Chris Farnell is the right man to take them forward in a proposed £200million takeover.

And Scott Johnson, at the heart of the battle to save Bury FC from extinction, believes fans should be embracing Farnell's involvement with Egyptian businessman Mohamed Elkashashy - not fearing it.

Farnell was criticised for trying to help save Bury FC after being asked by Johnson, general manager at Gigg Lane, to help out.

Johnson insists only incompetence by the EFL and meddling by owner Steve Dale were to blame for the club’s demise – not Farnell.

Cheshire-based lawyer Farnell was handed a ban by the EFL earlier this year which prevented him from owning a club after an attempted takeover at Charlton with Manchester businessman Paul Elliot.

Farnell appealed and the ban was subsequently overturned – and Johnson insists he's got the connections to be a huge asset to Burnley.

He says: “It’s time for the truth. I’ve sat back and read some of the social media rubbish by people with agendas and it’s out of order.

“Burnley fans need to ignore these keyboard warriors who seem to think it is okay to peddle half truths and lies.

“I asked Chris to help us at Bury because I knew he was vastly experienced and had many, many contacts in football.

“He was there whenever we needed him, he didn’t ask for a penny and did everything he could to save the club.

“In the end, we had three bids on the table - all before the deadline - and yet for some reason they weren’t considered by the EFL.

“It is nonsense to suggest Chris tried to sell the club to a Brazilian pastor like it was some half-baked plan!

“The bid was genuine, funds had been proved and the bid came from a close friend of our goalkeeping coach, not Chris who proved to be a wealth of knowledge and never once asked for payment.

“I would trust him with my life and Burnley FC have nothing to worry about.”

Farnell and partner Elkashashy are awaiting Premier League approval to complete a £200m takeover at Burnley FC after agreeing to buy the Turf Moor club.

“Burnley fans should be delighted,” Johnson added. “This is a huge investment and they're bringing football contacts, knowledge and expertise. Exciting times lie ahead for Burnley.

“And I'm certain he'll be a huge asset to Sean Dyche when it comes to signing players.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:34 am

So do we have anyone to second what’s stated in the report, that we are merely awaiting Premier League ratification on the deal of a £200m takeover.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:39 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:07 am
If there's lots of money available for transfers then I can't see them keeping Dyche, it's not his strength.
He's bought 5 players over 10m with only Wood being a success.(I haven't included Jay Rod as I don't know the terms for the 2nd 5m installment or if we have paid it)
He's 100% the right man should we go down, however the question will be

A. Will he want to stay and do it all again
B. Could a Crystal Palace type side come in for him ( possibly even a better equipped championship side located nearee his family home might take his fancy )
C. It will be a major overhaul for SD or a new man with 10 new players needed, and possibly 6 of those needing to be 1st team players.

I can only see

Mee Captain, no other takers from prem clubs
Westwood as above
Cork as above
Jay as above
Brownhill should excell in the championship and probably not done enough for a prem club to rush in for him.

The rest are either saleable assets, will be wanted by other clubs in the prem, OOC or not good enough.

If forward planning and cherry picking the better championship players was impossible for the last few windows whilst in the premier league, I'm stump at what our plan would be for when we went down.
( although we are told theres a plan in place, and we would be in the best possible position to bounce straight back )

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:59 am

HahaYeah wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:25 am
Mirror article:

Farnell and partner Elkashashy are awaiting Premier League approval to complete a £200m takeover at Burnley FC after agreeing to buy the Turf Moor club.

“Burnley fans should be delighted,” Johnson added. “This is a huge investment and they're bringing football contacts, knowledge and expertise. Exciting times lie ahead for Burnley.

“And I'm certain he'll be a huge asset to Sean Dyche when it comes to signing players.
How does he know this is a 'huge investment'?

They are buying the club for £200 million but that in itself is not an investment into the club surely. I presume they are buying the existing shares, or some of them, and that money goes to the shareholders. What will this investment be?

My thinking is that if they are investors they want a return from the money they put in (other wise why not just buy some shares etc.). They are not some charitable organisation. They will surely cause additional running costs to the club (perhaps director salaries, dividend payments, possible loan interest) so that will have to be covered by profits over and above what we've been making up to now just to break even. Unless they've got some sources that will conjure up money from promotions that our current board can't, how will they do this?

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:01 am

I don’t think Dyche would have lasted under many other regimes with some of his bad patches.

If we get relegated then Dyche is the perfect man to bring us back up. He will bring in seasoned pros to get the job done. If we somehow scrape survival then we should be looking for a change of direction on the managers front. Dyche isn’t capable of a complete squad rebuild in this league. We would waste a fortune on over priced 30 somethings.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 am

I certainly did but was constantly put down by the usual suspects on here including TS

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:18 am

Right_winger wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:01 am
I don’t think Dyche would have lasted under many other regimes with some of his bad patches.

If we get relegated then Dyche is the perfect man to bring us back up. He will bring in seasoned pros to get the job done. If we somehow scrape survival then we should be looking for a change of direction on the managers front. Dyche isn’t capable of a complete squad rebuild in this league. We would waste a fortune on over priced 30 somethings.

Dyche's first game team: Grant, Edgar, Shackell, Duff, Tripier, Mee, Wallace, Marney, Stock, Paterson, Austin. Subs: Ings, Stanislav, Vokes, Lafferty D, Jensen, Stewart, Long K.

And yesterday: Pope, Lowton, Long, Tarkowski, Taylor, Brownhill, Westwood, Stephens, McNeil, Wood, Barnes. Subs: Brady, Peacock-Farell, Rodriquez, Vydra, Thompson, Dunne, Richardson.

You may nit pick that it wasn't in 'this league' but I think the point is obvious.
Last edited by Hipper on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:19 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 am
I certainly did but was constantly put down by the usual suspects on here including TS
You're rubbing your hands with glee right now :lol:

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 am

Phil Jones is worried that the impeding takeover will put pay to his January move here.

I'm sure DanielJwaterhouse called this move in August. Man knows his onions yet still gets pelters on here

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 am

Hipper wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:18 am
Dyche's first game team: Grant, Edgar, Shackell, Duff, Tripier, Mee, Wallace, Marney, Stock, Paterson, Austin. Subs: Ings, Stanislav, Vokes, Lafferty D, Jensen, Stewart, Long K.

And yesterday: Pope, Lowton, Long, Tarkowski, Taylor, Brownhill, Westwood, Stephens, McNeil, Wood, Barnes. Subs: Brady, Peacock-Farell, Rodriquez, Vydra, Thompson, Dunne, Richardson.

You may nit pick that it wasn't in 'this league' but I think the point is obvious.
Think you’ve missed the point. After 8 years a squad is obviously going to look different. Doing it over 1 window at once? Have a think. We will get filled up with players like Walters and Wells.

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:34 am

Right_winger wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 am
Think you’ve missed the point. After 8 years a squad is obviously going to look different. Doing it over 1 window at once? Have a think. We will get filled up with players like Walters and Wells.
Maybe. Which club or manager has managed to change a complete team over night?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:35 am

Right_winger wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 am
To be fair, Dyche’s transfers would likely have looked very different had more money been available to him. Some of the last links (if there was any truth in them) suggest as much.

I think it’s unfair to say that a moneyed Dyche would still have sought the same filler type players as the one working within a very tight budget.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:40 am

Our bench was stronger 8 years ago.....

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:16 am

I thought MG wanted to bring in Harry Wilson, but Dyche wanted to bring in Dale Stevens?

Whoever takes over, I wouldn’t put Dyche in charge of player recruitment any longer.
Last edited by Steddyman on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:18 am

Steddyman wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:16 am
I though MG wanted to bring in Harry Wilson, but Dyche wanted to bring in Dale Stevens?

Whoever takes over, I wouldn’t put Dyche in charge of player recruitment any longer.
Dyche isn't in charge of it anyway.

He picks a list, gives it to chairman.

I would like to state though that when a chairman is choosing the signings and not Dyche then it's time for one of them to leave.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 am

Why would Garlick want to shell out 14 million for Wilson when he is about to sell his shares? Makes no sense at all.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:38 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:49 am

I could be wrong though
That’s what I thought when I read it.

Probably helped Bury out tbf and then asked them to give him a character reference.

Can imagine this Farnell chap is one of the folks the journalists tap up for information, so they probably owe him a few positive articles.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:39 am

It's fair to say that if Dyche would have had a bigger war chest over several windows , today's starting 11, the bench and the squad as a whole, wood look very different now.

He didn't.........

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:44 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 am
Burnley FC is an absolute bargain at £200m for a Premier league club with lots of assets and no debts
I am surprised it's not attracted more bidders
I agree.

Although in reality we know very little about the funding of either bid, I’m disappointed that an existing PL club, well run with no debt, and the longest serving manager (stability), would not attract more wealthy bidders.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:13 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:38 am
That’s what I thought when I read it.

Probably helped Bury out tbf and then asked them to give him a character reference.

Can imagine this Farnell chap is one of the folks the journalists tap up for information, so they probably owe him a few positive articles.
According to Charlton fans he uses nixon when he wants something in the paper.
Some people won't accept anything positive about him, minds have already been made up.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 am
Why would Garlick want to shell out 14 million for Wilson when he is about to sell his shares? Makes no sense at all.
There were people on here who are not gossip mongers and are usually in the know stating this was the case.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 pm
There were people on here who are not gossip mongers and are usually in the know stating this was the case.
What are they, if not gossipers, when posting gossip on a message board? :lol: :lol: