REPORT: Young Clarets give us a feeling of pride against the Lions

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32394 times
Has Liked: 5272 times

REPORT: Young Clarets give us a feeling of pride against the Lions

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm

These 8 users liked this post: Chester Perry Paul Waine Taffy on the wing martin_p Bcap1959 Duffer_ ecc KateR

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Re: REPORT: Young Clarets give us a feeling of pride against the Lions

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Noticed there was a parrot, a peacock and a jay on view last night.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:40 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:34 pm
Noticed there was a parrot, a peacock and a jay on view last night.
Not even thought of that one - well done Silkyskills1 - all I could come up with was PRIDE and LIONS.

I so enjoyed that last night because of all those young lads playing and doing so well.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm

and what's most impressive is the debutants Peacock Farrel, Thomas and Benson were playing in the spine of the team.

Straight into the action spots. No hiding them out wide or covering them with highly experienced players.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm
and what's most impressive is the debutants Peacock Farrel, Thomas and Benson were playing in the spine of the team.

Straight into the action spots. No hiding them out wide or covering them with highly experienced players.
And Matt Smith might not be a top striker but he's a bloody big handful to deal with and I thought they dealt with it brilliantly.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:17 pm

At last; we are starting to see good quality players from the youth squads moving up on a regular basis. Things are certainly clicking into place at BFC, all we need now is a minted investor with the future of Burnley FC in mind. Happy days.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Tony, how I echo your sentiments about not being able to watch the young lads coming through, it is a real miss as far as I am concerned. It was always good to try and spot any player who may just make it but to be proved wrong on so many occasions. Last night was a real treat because all those young guys did themselves and the club proud, it was lovely to see. I also agree wholeheartedly about the ref who seemed happy to penalise our lads but was happy for them to get away with things. He was very reminiscent of Graham Scott in our cup match against Lincoln!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:39 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Tony, how I echo your sentiments about not being able to watch the young lads coming through, it is a real miss as far as I am concerned. It was always good to try and spot any player who may just make it but to be proved wrong on so many occasions. Last night was a real treat because all those young guys did themselves and the club proud, it was lovely to see. I also agree wholeheartedly about the ref who seemed happy to penalise our lads but was happy for them to get away with things. He was very reminiscent of Graham Scott in our cup match against Lincoln!
Proved wrong so often - Eli used to say we built them up to be better than they were because we wanted them to be. I think there is some truth in that. To see four of them in there last night, and Dwight who is still just 20, and a 23 year old goalkeeper, that was just brilliant. So, so pleased for them and it really is crap that we can't see the young players now but hopefully one day we'll be able to again.

As for the referee, I thought he was appalling. I'm still not sure how he missed the incident with Dwight and then when two players get involved he cards just one of them. Scott against Lincoln, a proper referee that day would have dealt with that lot.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 pm

As much as much we enjoyed those performances last night - and I most certainly did - we have (as we have known for some time) a long way before we can catch up to the example of our friends down the road - https://trainingground.guru/articles/bl ... aight-game - we are on the right path but you have to say that is a very respectable performance from them.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 pm
As much as much we enjoyed those performances last night - and I most certainly did - we have (as we have known for some time) a long way before we can catch up to the example of our friends down the road - https://trainingground.guru/articles/bl ... aight-game - we are on the right path but you have to say that is a very respectable performance from them.
Sorry, but I don't think other clubs have anything to do with how those lads played last night.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:00 pm
Sorry, but I don't think other clubs have anything to do with how those lads played last night.
not what I said - last night was great and promising (and not being critical in any way) - we all want our Academy to produce players good enough for the first team (your article described the pleasure it brings very well) - they have (at varying league levels including the Premier League) for a long time and it may end up being the greatest legacy Walker left the club - if MG does sell up and we achieve something similar it may be his - just an achievement worth recognising without blowing it up with it's own thread or detracting from last nights performances.

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:49 pm

That is the most positve article I have read about Deadwood in the last 10 years.I suppose 2.5 million a year is chicken feed to the owners.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:39 pm

As for the referee, I thought he was appalling. I'm still not sure how he missed the incident with Dwight and then when two players get involved he cards just one of them. Scott against Lincoln, a proper referee that day would have dealt with that lot.
How that lad stayed on the pitch is unreal. Terrible ref, is he an eastender?

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:02 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:58 pm
How that lad stayed on the pitch is unreal. Terrible ref, is he an eastender?
He is from Hampshire according to Google. Apparently he is the only professional referee in England who played football professionally as well. Played for Gillingham, Portsmouth and Yeovil but retired at 28 due to injury.

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:04 pm

No he is from Hampshire he has played for Pompy but gave up playing at the age of 28 due to injury.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:10 pm

Played for Gillingham, Portsmouth & Yeovil

https://www.uptheclarets.com/newcomer-with-the-whistle

Jon Moss played for both Sunderland and Millwall but only at u18 level I think. I can't imagine why he didn't make it with his physique.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 pm
I think Blackburn are one of the worst examples of a successful youth academy.

I was there around 1996 putting towers up fo the TV cameras and the facilities were superb.

They have spent fortunes over 20 odd years. Having youngsters at the private school in Clitheroe.

And only producing players good enough for them in league one and the championship.

Oh and Phil Jones and his funny faces.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:15 pm

I've been really impressed by how much effort Vydra has been putting in. Compare and contrast with Gibson's approach to not getting much first team football

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:46 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:15 pm
I've been really impressed by how much effort Vydra has been putting in. Compare and contrast with Gibson's approach to not getting much first team football
I always look at how patient James Tarkowski was for a season and a half when I think about Gibson.

As for Vydra, looks a different player now he's got some confidence. I still think he misses too many chances but his ability to stretch play gives us a different dimension.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Vydra's goal last night was very similar to one he scored in one of our recent friendlies, also set up by Wood. He has enthusiasm, and gets into really good positions. deserves a bit more time on the pitch,IMO.