New penalty rules

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

New penalty rules

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15 am

I know bizarre handball rules have been introduced but when did putting both hands on an opponent's back inside the box,shoving him over not become a penalty
Stonewall penalty for the foul on Wood and where was VAR ?turned off at the time ?

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Re: New penalty rules

Post by taio » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 am

I didn't think it was a penalty. Would have been soft anyway. If it was the other way round and given I wouldn't be happy.

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 554 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:19 am

Law 14 states:
A penalty kick is awarded if a player commits a direct free kick offence inside their penalty area or off the field as part of play as outlined in Laws 12 and 13 as long as the opposing team is not Burnley.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:19 am

Even Sean said it would have been soft but he pushed him in the back in the penalty area. Penalty should have been given.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:23 am

Would have been a soft one if given.
What amazes me is comments from comentators and pundits, if that had been on Kane, Sterling etc the comments would have been "there was definitely contact, he had a right to go down" but when it's on a less fashionable teams player you get comments like "Not enough contact for me, he went down easily"
It makes me want to puke, I wish they'd be consistent with their assessments.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 longsidepies

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:34 am

Its football fans (understandably) who are not consistent whereas the different refs just give what they see at the time.

Remember when Tarks put his hands on the back of Ramsey? People went mad on here going on about it being a contact sport, Ramsey diving and that it never a pen in a million years

There was far les contact on Wood where both players were just stood so close together that the defenders hands were placed momentarily on Wood's back yet they will be some who were calling Ramsey a diving cheat now telling anyone who'll listen we were robbed of a penalty

To be fair the majority view on here seems sensibly that it wasnt a pen but for those who disagree ask yourself honestly what your view would have bee if that was Dunne on Danny Ings

Bigvince
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:27 am

taio wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 am
I didn't think it was a penalty. Would have been soft anyway. If it was the other way round and given I wouldn't be happy.
I think it would have been soft also, but ask yourself would it have been given, had it been Salah, Vardy or Kane

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:51 am

Bigvince wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:27 am
I think it would have been soft also, but ask yourself would it have been given, had it been Salah, Vardy or Kane
I don’t know. But certainly more likely, yes. However, I try to judge each case on its own merits. In this instance I don’t think it was a penalty.

WazzaClaret
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by WazzaClaret » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:46 pm

I don't want that kind of challenge to be a penalty but if others get them for the same then So should we. Either give them all or give none of them. That's the issue, no consistency.
This user liked this post: dsr

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:50 pm

Never a pen in a month of Sunday’s. You’d need some heavily claret tinted specs to genuinely believe that was a penalty. There was no push motion, he felt a hand on his back (contact sport remember...) and fell over. Pretty much the opposite of what Dyche says we do.

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 pm

MDWat wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:50 pm
Never a pen in a month of Sunday’s. You’d need some heavily claret tinted specs to genuinely believe that was a penalty. There was no push motion, he felt a hand on his back (contact sport remember...) and fell over. Pretty much the opposite of what Dyche says we do.
Just curious....what did you make of Leicester's 1st penalty today at Man City involving Vardy and Walker.
I thought it was quite similar in many ways.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:10 pm

New Penalty Rules ? Leicester score 3, yes 3 in one game !! Remind me, I can't remember our last penalty never mind 3 penalties ago. Don't think the new Penalty rule has reached Turf Moor just yet.

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Targetman wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 pm
Just curious....what did you make of Leicester's 1st penalty today at Man City involving Vardy and Walker.
I thought it was quite similar in many ways.
1st - pen (arm pulled Vardy, there was no push or pull on Wood)
2nd - pen
3rd - no pen (didn’t think there was a pull, and not enough to warrant a fall in the same way I didn’t think Wood’s warranted a fall)

Pens are hard, so subjective

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:39 pm

MDWat wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:06 pm
1st - pen (arm pulled Vardy, there was no push or pull on Wood)
2nd - pen
3rd - no pen (didn’t think there was a pull, and not enough to warrant a fall in the same way I didn’t think Wood’s warranted a fall)

Pens are hard, so subjective
A lot of it is because refs make it hard for themselves. They have decided that the rule says a tiny push or pull can be a foul IF the attacker throws himself to the ground, and that an attacker who stays on his feet cannot have been fouled at all. They were too stupid to realise that this just encourages attackers to throw themselves to the ground so they have to make the decision more and more.

They need to say that an attacker who throws himself down will not get a foul no matter what. As it stands, the cheat prospers and the honest man does not.

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by California Colner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:58 pm

If that incident happened in midfield would the ref have given a foul
In my opinion he would have
There seems to be different rules depending where you are on the field
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 pm

California Colner wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:58 pm
If that incident happened in midfield would the ref have given a foul
In my opinion he would have
There seems to be different rules depending where you are on the field
It wouldnt have happened in midfield cos non of our players would have chucked themselves to the floor like Wood did if it was in the middle of the park and not in the penalty area

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 pm
It wouldnt have happened in midfield cos non of our players would have chucked themselves to the floor like Wood did if it was in the middle of the park and not in the penalty area
Nail on head with the exact problem that football has. According to the laws of the game, it makes no difference at all whther the player throws himself on the floor or not. If I commit a foul, my opponent staying on his feet can't make it not a foul; if I don't commit a foul, the opponent throwing himself down can't make it into a foul.

Unfortunately referees are too stupid to know that.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:58 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 pm
Nail on head with the exact problem that football has. According to the laws of the game, it makes no difference at all whther the player throws himself on the floor or not. If I commit a foul, my opponent staying on his feet can't make it not a foul; if I don't commit a foul, the opponent throwing himself down can't make it into a foul.

Unfortunately referees are too stupid to know that.
Yes it’s true somebody hitting the deck will infer & somebody staying upright won’t, regarding the referees the referees are just becoming robots it’s not the referees fault the powers are being shifted away from the referees & referred to VAR to make the decisions, the referees are executing the decisions but in no true part deciding the decisions.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 am

MDWat wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:50 pm
That's one thing that is kind of stupid coming from Dyche. Luckily for us we have a squad of players who generally know the best time to go to ground.. Something we probably lacked in our first season in the Premier League with Dyche... But I don't (and I'm sure other teams fans don't either) buy the diving talk.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with Dyche when he says it has no place in the sport and I hate seeing it, but I also know we have so much against us already that we can't possibly be the only team trying not to cheat when everyone else gains around us by doing so.

Dyche is clearly just playing games to make it seem like we are the good guys, probably in attempt to gain decisions. However it's just embarrassing to hear him say none of our players do it and it doesn't ever amount to anything so I wish he'd just not mention it.

It should be a lot easier nowadays to spot the simulation and do something about it. VAR and slow motion replays easily show when something is as fake as Wood falling to the ground yet nothing is done about it to help the game.

There's even a rule that if the referee deems it to be a dive, he books the player in question. Never seems to actually happen.

What gets me is all these rule changes come in for penalties, handball, offside, & even how each half starts yet they still don't do anything to eradicate the diving.

The game would be so much better if they did take action and I'd expect us to follow suit, but until then we have to cheat just like the others do to compete as best we can and there's no doubt about it, if we were playing Leicester and it was Vardy who went down instead of a a Wood it would have at least gone to review and probably ended up being a penalty.

The state of consistency between decisions is appalling and we barely ever get the rub of the green. I think that's why people are frustrated not getting that decision rather than the actual dive itself. If they tightened up on it and players were getting suspended for repeat offences then it would increase the fairness and consistency of the decisions.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:42 am

WazzaClaret wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:46 pm
I don't want that kind of challenge to be a penalty but if others get them for the same then So should we. Either give them all or give none of them. That's the issue, no consistency.
And if it would have been Wood on a Goalkeeper its sn instant foul.

Not a pen for me, but they certainly find ways to give them, or justify giving them depending on the player/team the decision is being made for.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 am

I mentioned this yesterday but no one seemed to pick up on it. It's an idea I saw on the BBC sports pages.

What happened to the indirect free kick in the penalty area? Surely, giving an indirect free kick for accidental handball in the area would be far fairer than a game changing penalty.

Personally, I don't think 'Accidental' hand ball should be a foul at all (And with VAR it's easy to make that judgement.) but I'd rather an indirect free kick was awarded than persist with the current situation.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:22 pm

I see that the Premier League have told the referees to use more discretion, Lindleoff and Ward now won't be penalties, but Maupay and Dier will be (arm above shoulder height). Common sense at last.