football is becoming unrecognisable from what it was recently.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

football is becoming unrecognisable from what it was recently.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:16 am

just watching a hideous **** show post motd 2, about west ham's womens team, probably a repeat. the main man seems to be the offspring of one of their sleazy owners. reminds me of the sap in gladiator who knifed russell crowe.
my point is the BBC thought this slop stands a good tv, but its just an example of how we as fans are being penned into to corners.
being expected to accept the rise of womens football should be generic, but we are all being force fed its supposed popularity.
same applies to the politicising of our game, and the acceptance of murky gambling sponsors .
Who amongst you can say seeing players adopting supportive stances for weird ideals that are so far removed from our lives is okay?
The media is awash with ex pros from arsenal or spurs, london based as usual.
the powers that be are imposing farcical rule changes that are patently spoiling the game as a spectacle.
var is now comedic, clubs down the leagues will inevitably disappear due to lack of money after decades.
the cup comps are treated with apathy.
change is inevitable, but this level of drivel is super charged. even allowing for the virus influence, fans are being forced to just grin and bear it.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: football is becoming unrecognisable from what it was recently.

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 am

It's only a matter of time now......the game is on its knees the bubbles gonna burst! It was often said...and on this board clubs dont need supporters in stadiums the money will roll in anyway. Really? TV presentation and presenters of football all falling over themselves to be politically correct is mind numbing.its just a matter of time.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:48 am

Correct about gambling, rule changes and VAR. As weird as ever with your women playing football obsession.

Not bothered one way or the other about the accent of a person on TV talking about sport.

The most pressing matter for the game is more likely to be half the clubs outside the Prem going bust over the next 12 months.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Ashingtonclaret46

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 am

The Premier league is so far up it's on arse its unbelievable,they are now making the rules up as they go along,perhaps a spell in the best division in English football might not be so bad after all,the Championship .....I miss those days out at the likes of Forest & Preston😊
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 am

I know of a few GUYs in this case, not people with Cervix, who will not be watching football again due to way 'things' have gone and as it now stands.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:57 am

I don’t bother watching so many PL games now and prefer watching grass roots football where it’s more real. No cheats, no prima donnas, no abundance of stoppages and rules, no attitudes, less foul language and no obscene misdirected money. Very easy to get into a routine if not going and VAR and no fans are killing it as a spectacle. How desperate are fans going to be to go back ?

RedRoseWardrobe
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by RedRoseWardrobe » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 am

My goodness you feel so threatened by women's football? Are you being waterboarded whilst watching it with the remote just out of reach? I feel your pain.
This user liked this post: Brisliam

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:09 am

If you dont agree with womens football dont watch it.
I dont and i dont put it on
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:15 am

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:09 am
If you dont agree with womens football dont watch it.
I dont and i dont put it on
Agree, I'd try to get in at the dentist or do anything if that was the alternative.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:55 am

So to shorten down what you've said, it's about having women force fed to you?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:46 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:55 am
So to shorten down what you've said, it's about having women force fed to you?
That's one of my fantasies to be honest.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm

Back to football and the thread subject if we may?

Interesting idea re accidental hand ball in the area just been posted on the BBC's sport pages.

Ewan: I don't know why we, as a sport, have forgotten about the indirect free kick. Why not have an indirect free kick for unintentional, but potentially game-changing handballs?

To me, that's an idea worth thinking about. If only fans were in charge of the game.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:16 am
just watching a hideous **** show post motd 2, about west ham's womens team, probably a repeat. the main man seems to be the offspring of one of their sleazy owners. reminds me of the sap in gladiator who knifed russell crowe.
my point is the BBC thought this slop stands a good tv, but its just an example of how we as fans are being penned into to corners.
being expected to accept the rise of womens football should be generic, but we are all being force fed its supposed popularity.
same applies to the politicising of our game, and the acceptance of murky gambling sponsors .
Who amongst you can say seeing players adopting supportive stances for weird ideals that are so far removed from our lives is okay?
The media is awash with ex pros from arsenal or spurs, london based as usual.
the powers that be are imposing farcical rule changes that are patently spoiling the game as a spectacle.
var is now comedic, clubs down the leagues will inevitably disappear due to lack of money after decades.
the cup comps are treated with apathy.
change is inevitable, but this level of drivel is super charged. even allowing for the virus influence, fans are being forced to just grin and bear it.
If this is fishing bait, it's good, cos I am properly hooked.

Anyway

1) They aren't force feeding you womens football any more than they are force feeding people mens football. The programmes are on TV, and will appeal to those who want to watch it. If you don't want to watch if, you don't have to.

2) I can say that seeing players strive for equality is a norm that I fully agree with. I think the work done by Marcus Rashford on ending child hunger is also a political agenda I can get 100% behind.

3) The media is awash with London based pundits.... like Shearer, Danny Murphy, Graham Souness, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Micah Richards, Robbie Savage..... amongst others.

4) Rule changes - I agree with you.

5) The cup comps are in the main won by one of the best 4 sides in the country, looks like they have the strategy spot on.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 am

3) The media is awash with London based pundits.... like Shearer, Danny Murphy, Graham Souness, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Micah Richards, Robbie Savage..... amongst others.

linekar, wright, keown, jenus, crooks, merson alex scott, dixon. murphy, hoddle, waddle, and the list goes on, and on.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:54 am

Can we at least agree that Vikki Sparks makes any match unwatchable with the sound on,
any radio comm's unlistenable.

Screechy, annoying, dumb.
Fake over excited.

How did she get the job?

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:01 am

I’ve got a passing interest in the elite women’s game. Both my girls play football and I coach a junior female team.

You’ll have to tell me which channels are flooding their programming with it, because I’ve only noticed the occasional live game and or the odd weekly highlights show.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 am

linekar, wright, keown, jenus, crooks, merson alex scott, dixon. murphy, hoddle, waddle, and the list goes on, and on.
You mean Lineker from Leicester, Murphy from Liverpool, Waddle from Newcastle, Jeans from Nottingham and Lee Dixon from Manchester?

Another good point well made.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Rumpelstiltskin Bosscat

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:19 pm

I've no interest in women's football, and my son can't get over the game he watched in which the players couldn't control the ball, couldn't pass and then ran into each other - all in the space of 10 mins... he was howling with laughter.
I'm sure that isn't the case all the time, but I've no interest in watching lower league football when I've no connection or reason to support.

I do think it is being force fed a little. However I tend to think it is because of Sky losing it's grip due to BT and therefore trying to create a bigger audience - I can turn it off though. It's kind of interesting to see it grow, and I'm sure the quality will eventually get better. If I'm honest I'd rather see women good enough to play in the men's game. Meaning no need for 'men's and woman's' and having just 'football'.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:08 am

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 am
It's only a matter of time now......the game is on its knees the bubbles gonna burst! It was often said...and on this board clubs dont need supporters in stadiums the money will roll in anyway. Really? TV presentation and presenters of football all falling over themselves to be politically correct is mind numbing.its just a matter of time.
I used to purchase Now TV day passes when Burnley were playing away. No longer! A short time ago they cost £6.99. The last time I looked they were £9.99. This at a time when they are televising matches behind closed doors.

Yesterday I received a letter from BT to say that my BT Sport subscription is rising from £7 p/m to £11 p/m. ( a 57% increase). I telephoned them and cancelled telling them that most of the matches are rubbish at the moment and that they are not even worth a penny a month.

If I get the chance to renew my Burnley Season ticket this year I will not be renewing. Reasons why:
  • Gradually losing interest during the pandemic.
  • Unlikely to get back to normal match days until next spring.
  • VAR is killing the excitement of the game. Especially in the immediate aftermath of a goal being scored.
  • I hate racism and I don't like woke. The two of these have entered the football arena hand in hand. I am glad that the Premier League are gradually distancing themselves from the UK version of 'Black Lives Matter' which has also shown itself to have anti-Semitic tendencies (the worst form of racism powerfully argued by Maajid Nawaz in the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAje_NjRsX8). Lets hope it fizzles out before the fans return.
  • When watching the recent 'behind closed doors matches' it just doesn't seem the same. The TV companies have done a good job with the 'canned crowd noise' but I can't get interested. I fell asleep at 1-1 during the Leicester game and didn't wake up until after full time.
I agree that "football is becoming unrecognisable from what it was recently".

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:15 am

I've really got into Rugby Union over the past couple of months. BT Sport has excellent coverage and there seems real commitment from the teams. I'm certainly one of those who may not bother with football in the future other than the odd televised match on BT Sport.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 am
You mean Lineker from Leicester, Murphy from Liverpool, Waddle from Newcastle, Jeans from Nottingham and Lee Dixon from Manchester?

Another good point well made.
hardly any player has one club, to be pedantic doesnt alter the fact those referred to had huge connections with the teams i mentioned. nobody links ian wright to celtic or burnley, he is there due to his arsenal days. similarly the radio pundits are often connected with arsenal and spurs. danny kelly, ray parlour etc. not to mention constant hourly references to both teams regardless of how other clubs are doing. they spent ages this week discussing dele alli, but you will NEVER hear the same level of debate about most other teams . if you can't see it then fair enough. but you are mistaken.
As for the womens game, good luck to them, sport for all is the way forward, but their is another set of agendas at work in the media to hammer this game home without much hunger for it from the general public. much the same as they do for rugby union on the BBC.
This user liked this post: tim_noone