Football isn't just another business.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Football isn't just another business.

Post by Espia » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:35 pm

https://www.football365.com/news/john-n ... yche-wrong

Have to agree...SD has got this one wrong.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Football isn't just another business.

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Written by a man who is a fan of a club (Middlesbrough) whose owner has supplemented the club to the tune of £400k pw (on average) for the last decade and was shelling out an awful lot in the two decades before that. you have to reasonably expect that a manager working under strict fiscal management would begrudge helping such clubs.

Dyches phrasing was very poor and I do not believe he wants those clubs struggling to be abandoned, equally he doesn't want to help those whose mismanagement is the result of their problems, particularly if their rich owners have been picking up the tab until now
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 FactualFrank

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:57 pm

Have the club refused an interview with them or banned this football365 from the club or something ?

I had never heard of it until the bitter bint article was shown yesterday, now today another one.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:02 pm

I thought that bitter Boro fan wrote the ‘boring circus’ article but here he is, present and correct.

Has had it in for us for a while.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:04 pm

They have a lot of very left leaning writers - Nicholson is one and is no fan of modern football - but makes his living off the game not just as a writer, but also off T Shirts and prints. I have shared a lot of his column pieces on the MMT thread over the years because I thing he has a lot of interesting things to say on the whole, It is not often that I agree with him, but he can be an original thinker, this in line with a number of recent pieces is not such a piece. I would say if you object strongly to this you shouldn't read anything by Tom Reed on that platform

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:13 pm

I think the article is spot on regardless of who the author supports.

I am a fan of Sean Dyche but he has got this one totally wrong

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Strange comments by Dyche, particularly when he spent his entire playing career in the lower leagues and his son is at Northampton.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Looks to me like the rest of the football world have their knives out for anything to do with Burnley or Sean Dyche.

Now we know we’ve become established, it’s up to us to stay there now and p!ss them off even more.

I agree with some of the article though, but as has been said there are so many lower league clubs owned by rich people who consistently operate beyond their means, I don’t want to “bail” them out at all. Other clubs are going to struggle though, and unfortunately it will be those clubs who go under not the ones breaking so many financial rules that they should go under instead.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:29 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:24 pm
Looks to me like the rest of the football world have their knives out for anything to do with Burnley or Sean Dyche.

Now we know we’ve become established, it’s up to us to stay there now and p!ss them off even more.

I agree with some of the article though, but as has been said there are so many lower league clubs owned by rich people who consistently operate beyond their means, I don’t want to “bail” them out at all. Other clubs are going to struggle though, and unfortunately it will be those clubs who go under not the ones breaking so many financial rules that they should go under instead.
I agree with parts too, I don't see why it is any clubs duty to help clubs that have been run recklessly. There are clubs that have cheated their way into the Prem like Bournemouth and teams who continue to cheat in the championship like Derby, Sheff Weds and others. If the money handed over went to non league and grass roots then that it a different story,
This user liked this post: Zlatan

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Fair reply on Dyche's comments I'd say. Although the writer does conflate 'Burnley' and 'Dyche' too often. As if what happened to our club in 86-87 will concern Dyche, or even more tenuously, if we fall into similar hard times in the future he'd still be here musing on his stance now.

Dyche is commenting on this from his point of view - a Premier League manager with options - not on behalf of a club and fanbase who know all about how precarious life is outside the big time.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:31 pm

Football is a sport and the business side of it comes from football clubs, sports companies, television and media etc.

The fact that they make it a business means that there will always be different levels and Burnley as a club, although being in the PL, is quite a way down the pecking order in the grand scale of things. The club and all associated with it have worked hard to get the club into the position that they are in and take quite a lot of criticism from their own fans because they try not to spend more than they feel necessary.

As we all know, Sean Dyche manages with his hands tied behind his back to a large extent, in spite of the work that he and his staff have put in, therefore, I can well understand his point of view in not wanting to help many clubs such as QPR, Leeds United, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday etc. who have overspent and some have got away with owing the taxman money.

If I had worked hard to build my business up and stayed in credit I certainly would not wish to bail out the neighbouring business who had spent beyond their means, although I would have some sympathy for the other neighbour who had only recently started out and had the rug pulled from under his feet because of circumstances.

There has been a lack of control shown by the FA and the EFL which has allowed some things to get out of hand at various clubs and, sadly, this is now having an effect.
This user liked this post: Zlatan