New Kitchen Appliances....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
miele-man
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Re: New Kitchen Appliances....

Post by miele-man » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 pm

ATi Miele .co.uk , I don't know whether its allowed either

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:34 pm

[quote=ClaretTony post_id=1385080 time=1601592988 user_id=48I’ve no children in the house but could at some point have a forgetful old person.
[/quote]

Haven't you already got one, Tony ? :lol: :lol:

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:37 pm

ClaretCliff wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:34 pm
[quote=ClaretTony post_id=1385080 time=1601592988 user_id=48I’ve no children in the house but could at some point have a forgetful old person.
Haven't you already got one, Tony ? :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Not that forgetful just yet but I did almost put something in a cupboard today that was meant to go in the microwave. I do have the occasional senior moment. :D

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:54 pm
If you or someone you know has enough knowledge to measure up and do some of the work yourself (i am talking planning and ordering online) then I would without hesitation recommend you look at DIY Kitchens. (Don't just do it yourself, we had a joiner who was doing other work for us and I said help me plan it, you get the install job. He picked up a few things that I wouldn't have - the difference in the gap behind cabinets, old v new where I had sink drainage running wouldn't have fit into the new layout without his knowledge in the planning stage)

They are based in Wakefield and manufacture to order. I did a load of research before ordering from them, including a visit to their showrooms and a look around some samples etc. I think overall i paid about 10k for mine, which included Bosch appliances - double oven, 5 burner gas on glass hob and integrated dishwasher and granite worktops (6 pieces of granite plus cut out for undermount sink and drainer and cut out for hob). The kitchen has been in for 5 years now and looks as good as new. The cabinets are delivered already constructed so are solid and no flat pack assembly required. You are basically buying the kitchen you get in a posh town centre kitchen shop, without paying for the overheads of a shop, salesman and their margin.
Just got around to this...DIY Kitchen website brilliant.

Are they good/sound units ?

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:00 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:42 pm
Just got around to this...DIY Kitchen website brilliant.

Are they good/sound units ?
As I said mine have been in 5 years and are as good as the day they were installed. If you are interested and are planning to spend a significant amount, check whether they still allow visits to the showrooms in Wakefield. They are generally price comparable with someone like Wren but the quality is much better. I have bought once, if I find myself having to buy a kitchen in the future I would use them again without hesitation. The joiner I used to fit, very old school but a very good chippy even commented on how good the units were when he installed.

Take your time, research, visit, measure carefully, take advice if need be. That's what I did and am more than happy with the results.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:06 pm

Another good feature they offer is they build cabinets in the same colour as the doors you choose. From experience the like of Wickes etc only sell white cabinets so you have to buy decorative end panels, which never form part of which ever sale they are having, otherwise it spoils the look. And the panels are generally quite expensive.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:38 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:06 pm
Another good feature they offer is they build cabinets in the same colour as the doors you choose. From experience the like of Wickes etc only sell white cabinets so you have to buy decorative end panels, which never form part of which ever sale they are having, otherwise it spoils the look. And the panels are generally quite expensive.
Yes, my wife picked up on that, ticked a box them not supplying carcasses just in white or cream.

Thanks for your help

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:38 pm

We settled on the Fohen Boiling water tap (about 1/3 of the cost of the Quooker) ... works fantastic and only takes up the size of a gallon canister under the sink in the new kitchen.

Can't wait to get the kitchen finished (flooring and decorating) lockdown permitting 🙂 its been in nearly a month now, and we absolutely love the boiling water tap 👍

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 pm

Bosscat. Would you say the hot water from the tap gets as hot as boiling the kettle, i.e. when you're making a cup of tea etc.
I've often wondered if they're any good.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:23 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 pm
Bosscat. Would you say the hot water from the tap gets as hot as boiling the kettle, i.e. when you're making a cup of tea etc.
I've often wondered if they're any good.
Its kept @ 98 degrees beddie and the coffee it makes, is just right for us... tea similarly.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by Whitgord » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 pm

Another vote here for the quooker boiling water tap. The reservoir under the sink is about the size of a fire extinguisher. The tap can provide cold up to hot water on the normal tap (you can set how hot the ‘hot’ is). By pressing down twice quickly on the top and turning you get boiling water that is certainly hot enough for brewing tea etc. This action cannot be done accidentally. Also the water comes out airated so you would not be badly scolded if you passed your hand under it accidentally. It is great for filling pans with veggies in and then they come to boil on the hob almost instantly. They are also great for rinsing things like boiled rice. If you have a stored water hot system (a cylinder full of hot water) then it takes time for the hot tap in a kitchen sink to warm up. With a boiling water tap, the hot (or boiling) water is available instantly. The canister under the sink is maintained at boiling temperature all the time (it is like a strong thermos flask) and will provide a good bucket full before it cools down and needs to reheat itself. Our installer said it only costs a few pence a day to run and is negligible on our electricity bills. Yes they are expensive to buy, but we love ours.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:13 pm

Had a new kitchen installed just under two years ago. It’s nearly finished now, still not got a decorator to do the painting, but I never considered a quooker or similar. Maybe two years on I might have done but for now I’m still using a kettle for my brews.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Just had the microwave fail on a Neff combination mi cro/oven/grill.
900 quid to replace with new and just found out they are Panasonic badged..

Berne Leigh
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Berne Leigh » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 am

I am sorry Miele-Man but Miele are certainly no longer the best, expensive maybe but good I am afraid not.

My wife had always aspired to Miele appliances so when we bought our new home we went Miele. Really disappointed. In particular the washing machine which to be honest does not actually get things clean. I think they are so efficient on power and water usage that cleaning is an after thought.

If we need to get a red wine stain out we have to take the table cloth/shirt etc to my mother in laws!

The short programmes are a complete waste of time and the long programmes are really long and still pretty ineffective.

I will say one thing though, they are reliable. I keep hoping the bloody thing will breakdown so I can justify buying a Bosch but it keeps on going!!
This user liked this post: basil6345789

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

Berne Leigh wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 am
I am sorry Miele-Man but Miele are certainly no longer the best, expensive maybe but good I am afraid not.

My wife had always aspired to Miele appliances so when we bought our new home we went Miele. Really disappointed. In particular the washing machine which to be honest does not actually get things clean. I think they are so efficient on power and water usage that cleaning is an after thought.

If we need to get a red wine stain out we have to take the table cloth/shirt etc to my mother in laws!

The short programmes are a complete waste of time and the long programmes are really long and still pretty ineffective.

I will say one thing though, they are reliable. I keep hoping the bloody thing will breakdown so I can justify buying a Bosch but it keeps on going!!
About right in terms of standard of engineering - Miele still probably tops.
Bosch ok but not what they once were.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 am

basil6345789 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am
About right in terms of standard of engineering - Miele still probably tops.
Bosch ok but not what they once were.
We went with Bosch for the new dishwasher as our old one (15 yrs old) was a Bosch 🙂
This user liked this post: basil6345789

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 pm

Had a new kitchen 8 years ago and went with Neff Appliances. Fridge, induction hob, extractor hob, dishwasher, single oven, microwave combi and warming drawer. No problems so far but as Tony says it's important to get the right pans for the induction hob. We did get a new washing machine at the same time and opted for Miele as they were offering 10 years parts & labour warranty. Replaced our tumble dryer a couple of years back and opted for a Bosch condenser. No problems with any of the above.
Still have an electric kettle though. ;)

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Since the title is kitchen appliances, has anyone any advice re. a freezer? It's to go under a counter, about 86cm vertical space, plenty of width, but the depth is limited. The typical 54cm depth would stick out. Does anyone know if there are reasonably sized freezers with less than 54cm depth?

Chest freezers need not apply because of the counter top.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:18 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:15 pm
Since the title is kitchen appliances, has anyone any advice re. a freezer? It's to go under a counter, about 86cm vertical space, plenty of width, but the depth is limited. The typical 54cm depth would stick out. Does anyone know if there are reasonably sized freezers with less than 54cm depth?

Chest freezers need not apply because of the counter top.
Try AO.com and look at their stock...

https://ao.com/product/efuz48s-electra- ... 95-35.aspx
This user liked this post: dsr

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:18 pm
Try AO.com and look at their stock...

https://ao.com/product/efuz48s-electra- ... 95-35.aspx
Looks interesting. I can shave a couple of inches off, anyway, and there's a black one which looks a bit better than white I reckon.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Berne Leigh wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 am

When I got a modern washing machine I wondered why the wash times were longer then they used to be. It's because of the chemistry of how the washing powder/liquid works. It needs time to do its thing. I presume that's especially so at lower temperatures. Compared with the previous machine, it caused my water usage to be reduced by a fifth.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:22 pm

miele-man wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Just in case anyone is interested , we are the largest Miele centre in the UK and definitely offer the best prices on anything Miele .

If i buy from you does it cut out the Middle Man? :lol: