Fish or foul (sic)?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Fish or foul (sic)?

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:15 am

I don't understand why some posters find pleasure in sharing insincere views and then mock other posters who take their views at face value. Sometimes the views are unlikely, maybe provocative but plausible, and in some instances these posters actually share contradictory views on a subject.

The conversation typically goes like this:

Poster A says something offensive or controversial.
Other posters take issue with Poster A's views.
The next bit, optional but possibly the most annoying, is where Poster A's pals wade in with inane comments such as "hey Poster A, you've got a few in your keepnet".
Poster A then usually responds with a verbal smirk.

The problem is that the views are often not caricatured enough to be amusing, nor are they removed enough from reality to be dismissed as absurd. A bit like the boy who cried wolf, the posters lack credibility and you have to dismiss anything they post in future because you can't be sure it is sincerely held.

Sure, I could foe them and perhaps I will but before I do that, I just want to call out the behaviour as being childish, annoying and disruptive to meaningful debate. They must get some kind of puerile entertainment from it but it is lost on me.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat GandalfsBeard dsr elwaclaret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Fish or foul (sic)?

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:56 am

A quality item from the Mark & Lard Breakfast Show.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Trolling. Nothing more, nothing less.

GandalfsBeard
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by GandalfsBeard » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Person A: ridiculous statement
Person B: your statement is ridiculous
Person A: Jokes on you! I was only pretending to believe ridiculous statement!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:15 am
I don't understand why some posters find pleasure in sharing insincere views and then mock other posters who take their views at face value. Sometimes the views are unlikely, maybe provocative but plausible, and in some instances these posters actually share contradictory views on a subject.

The conversation typically goes like this:

Poster A says something offensive or controversial.
Other posters take issue with Poster A's views.
The next bit, optional but possibly the most annoying, is where Poster A's pals wade in with inane comments such as "hey Poster A, you've got a few in your keepnet".
Poster A then usually responds with a verbal smirk.

The problem is that the views are often not caricatured enough to be amusing, nor are they removed enough from reality to be dismissed as absurd. A bit like the boy who cried wolf, the posters lack credibility and you have to dismiss anything they post in future because you can't be sure it is sincerely held.

Sure, I could foe them and perhaps I will but before I do that, I just want to call out the behaviour as being childish, annoying and disruptive to meaningful debate. They must get some kind of puerile entertainment from it but it is lost on me.
I didnt like the "fat" referee thred tbh... but I remained dignified. :D