The Parting of the Ways

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

The Parting of the Ways

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm

No, I’m not reviewing the classic Doctor Who episode of Christopher Eccleston’s tenure as the Doctor - it’s (yet another) thread asking whether the unthinkable is actually in everyone’s best interests, at this point.

I’ll preface by saying that I adore Sean Dyche - I’d name a stand after him in the future such is the job he has done here. He will be regarded as our greatest ever manager after Harry Potts, and revered for the rest of our time as a football club.

Getting that out of the way, we’ve reached a massive crossroads here. Sean Dyche at this point strikes me as someone that doesn’t want to be at Burnley Football Club, and someone who is more concerned with how the disaster he sees unfolding before him is going to impact upon his brand imagine and future managerial roles. It feels like the love that I enthused above, and that I am sure most of us share towards him, is entirely one way. An attitude, if you will, of being lucky to have him (which we have been, in all honesty).

The ongoing war that is very clearly ongoing at Turf Moor shows no sign of abating, unless the takeover happens imminently (and even then, we do not know Dyche’s opinion of ALK or what the proposed financial backing is from them) I fear, gravely, for this season.

Do I say that because of our lack of transfers? Partly, of course we needed reinforcements. This was exacerbated by our injury situation and probably wouldn’t have felt quite so critical (the only player that left of any ‘real’ value to us was Hendrick) had we had the likes of Mee, Tarky, Cork etc fit from the outset. My real concern however, isn’t the squad. I believe our squad IS more than good enough for a comfortable 12th-15th placed finish even with a years ageing and other teams spending money - if it wasn’t for the overall shroud of uncertainty, negativity and pessimism that has ensconced our club this summer.

It’s been ongoing stretching back a long way, of course, but it’s become impossible to ignore since ‘Project Restart’ and even worse through this summers transfer struggles. Dyche’s willingness to be open, too honest, and very belittling of his employers financial choices has dominated conversation on here, social media and the televisioon. I firmly believe it’s a carefully constructed exit strategy/failure explanation to use to preserve his status (understandable, in some ways), but you just have to wonder the impact that has had on our squad of players.

They won’t be oblivious to what has been going on, and for me it has shown on the pitch. We can have a slow start, we can be unlucky, we can (as we have had) a ton of injuries - but - the one thing that has been a constant in Dyche’s tenure has been an inner belief and a battling solidarity for the badge. I didn’t see that at all against Southampton, and I saw it for 12 minutes tonight before the heads dropped again.

Are we coming to a point in time where the unthinkable is actually the sensible? Let me be clear - if it was MY choice, only one of Sean Dyche and Mike Garlick would be leaving. Sadly, it is not. With one looking destined to be here forever (again, said without knowledge of status of takeover), is there any way back to make the club the proud, strong, stable business it has been over the last eight+ years? I am not so sure, and if the answer is no, a massive decision needs to be made for the long term health of the club.
These 3 users liked this post: Burnley Ace warksclaret Wirvine

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Re: The Parting of the Ways

Post by burnleymik » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:09 pm

I really do wonder if Dyche realises this ship is sinking fast and bails out. As long as the management and the leadership are at loggerheads we arestuffed.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 pm

burnleymik wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:09 pm
I really do wonder if Dyche realises this ship is sinking fast and bails out. As long as the management and the leadership are at loggerheads we arestuffed.
It’s been the thing our success has been built on, that ‘one club mentality’.

The malaise threatens everything we have achieved.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 pm

I think Dyche has been under enormous pressure. Tony has already said he thinks the only reason he’s still here is because nothing has been available to him.

I totally agree.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Dyche should have resigned after the Brighton game when his stock was sky high. It must have been obvious in which direction the club was heading over the summer.

The fact he's stayed on and continued this feud with the chairman is ripping the club in two.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Whatever happens and post lock down, relegation, new manager, takeover, I will be in the JHU, with an opinion about on and off field matters but supporting every Claret on the pitch. This season will be sad, but in the scheme of things there will still be happy afternoons to be had in the future and sad ones too. UTC
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Woodleyclaret

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:18 pm

Dyche wouldn’t be here if it had got an offer over summer. He didn’t which wasn’t entirely unsurprising as it appears he hasn’t had that many serious suitors during his tenure here. If the rumoured salary he’s on is correct then you’re probably just going to sit aren’t you ?

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Managers don't resign from premier league jobs. It just doesn't happen.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 pm
I think Dyche has been under enormous pressure. Tony has already said he thinks the only reason he’s still here is because nothing has been available to him.

I totally agree.
What's he expecting serving up shyte like we've seen this season? Real or Barca?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Was hoping this would be a Christopher Ecclestone era Dr Who thread.

Disappointed.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm

The ship is only ‘sinking’ due to a chairman and board of directors who have now found themselves absolutely out of their depth. Who would you rather keep Dyche or Garlick?
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 pm

I totally agree.
This is an open secret on here, so you can assume the players know it too.

The question I put to that, if we all accept it is true - is it going to be a good environment working for a manager who (we are saying) is desperate to leave and will apply for the first job available?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

It says nothing of Garlick if he’s allowed such a situation to develop. Ultimately, he’s in charge and if he’s allowed the situation between him and Dyche to disintegrate to this level, to the point that we could lose the best manager we’ve had for generations, it is him that needs to move on.

There are too many rumours of his need for control, across various areas of the club, that there must be some truth, in and amongst.

It smacks of very poor leadership.

matttheclaret
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by matttheclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm
No, I’m not reviewing the classic Doctor Who episode of Christopher Eccleston’s tenure as the Doctor - it’s (yet another) thread asking whether the unthinkable is actually in everyone’s best interests, at this point.

I’ll preface by saying that I adore Sean Dyche - I’d name a stand after him in the future such is the job he has done here. He will be regarded as our greatest ever manager after Harry Potts, and revered for the rest of our time as a football club.

Getting that out of the way, we’ve reached a massive crossroads here. Sean Dyche at this point strikes me as someone that doesn’t want to be at Burnley Football Club, and someone who is more concerned with how the disaster he sees unfolding before him is going to impact upon his brand imagine and future managerial roles. It feels like the love that I enthused above, and that I am sure most of us share towards him, is entirely one way. An attitude, if you will, of being lucky to have him (which we have been, in all honesty).

The ongoing war that is very clearly ongoing at Turf Moor shows no sign of abating, unless the takeover happens imminently (and even then, we do not know Dyche’s opinion of ALK or what the proposed financial backing is from them) I fear, gravely, for this season.

Do I say that because of our lack of transfers? Partly, of course we needed reinforcements. This was exacerbated by our injury situation and probably wouldn’t have felt quite so critical (the only player that left of any ‘real’ value to us was Hendrick) had we had the likes of Mee, Tarky, Cork etc fit from the outset. My real concern however, isn’t the squad. I believe our squad IS more than good enough for a comfortable 12th-15th placed finish even with a years ageing and other teams spending money - if it wasn’t for the overall shroud of uncertainty, negativity and pessimism that has ensconced our club this summer.

It’s been ongoing stretching back a long way, of course, but it’s become impossible to ignore since ‘Project Restart’ and even worse through this summers transfer struggles. Dyche’s willingness to be open, too honest, and very belittling of his employers financial choices has dominated conversation on here, social media and the televisioon. I firmly believe it’s a carefully constructed exit strategy/failure explanation to use to preserve his status (understandable, in some ways), but you just have to wonder the impact that has had on our squad of players.

They won’t be oblivious to what has been going on, and for me it has shown on the pitch. We can have a slow start, we can be unlucky, we can (as we have had) a ton of injuries - but - the one thing that has been a constant in Dyche’s tenure has been an inner belief and a battling solidarity for the badge. I didn’t see that at all against Southampton, and I saw it for 12 minutes tonight before the heads dropped again.

Are we coming to a point in time where the unthinkable is actually the sensible? Let me be clear - if it was MY choice, only one of Sean Dyche and Mike Garlick would be leaving. Sadly, it is not. With one looking destined to be here forever (again, said without knowledge of status of takeover), is there any way back to make the club the proud, strong, stable business it has been over the last eight+ years? I am not so sure, and if the answer is no, a massive decision needs to be made for the long term health of the club.
Agree with much of that.

Simply put, if things are as bad between the manager and the chairman as we're led to believe then (without knowing what's happening with this supposed takeover) it's probably better if he went. Be a sad ending to his tenure, after all he's achieved here, but everything over the last 8 years has been built on everyone at the club pulling together in the same direction. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm
The ship is only ‘sinking’ due to a chairman and board of directors who have now found themselves absolutely out of their depth. Who would you rather keep Dyche or Garlick?
Read the last paragraph for my answer to that!

Dinks
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 127 times

Post by Dinks » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Did you compose that post before the game just in case ?

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 pm
What's he expecting serving up shyte like we've seen this season? Real or Barca?
He could walk into a job based on his history. Someone (sorry can’t remember who) mentioned that his entire verbal construct has been a long term exit strategy.

Could be right!

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Dinks wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm
Did you compose that post before the game just in case ?
I typed it as soon as the final whistle blew.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:22 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 pm
Managers don't resign from premier league jobs. It just doesn't happen.
No they don't. They hang on until they are sacked. But he knows he won't be sacked. So he waits for another offer. Only they never come. Heck, we're in a bit of pickle here.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:22 pm

We have a chairman who thinks it's ok to start the season with Dunne and Long as centre halves. And who thinks its ok to lose two right sided midfielders without replacing them.

Dinks

Post by Dinks » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:23 pm

jedi_master wrote:
I typed it as soon as the final whistle blew.
Of course you did :roll:

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:24 pm

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:24 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm
This is an open secret on here, so you can assume the players know it too.

The question I put to that, if we all accept it is true - is it going to be a good environment working for a manager who (we are saying) is desperate to leave and will apply for the first job available?
Add to that: it's not a great advert to attract new signings.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Dinks wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:23 pm

I feel quite complimented that you think my musings which took all of three minutes to think and then type were something that required a lot time and effort, cheers for that.
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Dinks wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:23 pm

Not everyone types with one finger, you know. Some people are quite fast at it these days.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Read the last paragraph for my answer to that!
Sorry I agree with you OP just having my own rant!
This user liked this post: jedi_master

GeorgeBoydsHeadBand
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by GeorgeBoydsHeadBand » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 pm

Maybe both Dyche and Garlic should go. It's not happening on the pitch and the obvious friction between Dyche and Garlic is transferring onto the players. To move any team forward you have to add to your squad. Garlick's silence is golden and he seems to want to distance himself from the supporters. Would be a good time to explain his and the clubs position, after all, he is supposed to be the Chaiman of our club.
At this moment in time I wouldn't shed a tear if they both left.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 pm

GeorgeBoydsHeadBand wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 pm
Maybe both Dyche and Garlic should go. It's not happening on the pitch and the obvious friction between Dyche and Garlic is transferring onto the players. To move any team forward you have to add to your squad. Garlick's silence is golden and he seems to want to distance himself from the supporters. Would be a good time to explain his and the clubs position, after all, he is supposed to be the Chaiman of our club.
A manger who guided us to 10th should go? Ok mate.

Dinks

Post by Dinks » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 pm
I feel quite complimented that you think my musings which took all of three minutes to think and then type were something that required a lot time and effort, cheers for that.
Night pal,have a relaxing day tomorrow,dont read any newspapers,take the wife out and have a few beers.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 pm

I wonder why the offers never come ? I’ve assumed it’s because of his playing “style”, lack of experience (or interest) in the foreign markets, disregard of youth (couple of exceptions obviously) but generally he’ll sign, or pick, the old lads (example currently; Long getting the nod over Dunne). I’ve often wondered if our general lack (again two or three exceptions) of players “of colour” during his tenure is a factor. It’s sticks out a little I have to say.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:28 pm

I’d shed many if and when Sean goes.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:29 pm

Dinks wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 pm
Night pal,have a relaxing day tomorrow,dont read any newspapers,take the wife out and have a few beers.
thought you were leaving :lol:
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:31 pm

So if Dyche left and we appointed another manager, would transfer funds be available to him..? I very much doubt it.
These 3 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 tiger76 randomclaret2

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:33 pm

Dinks wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 pm
Be careful not to wet the bed, mate.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:37 pm

I always liked to think we were a stable ship behind the scenes. That all the circus and whatnot was reserved for the likes of West Ham, etc. Sadly, it’s clear we are a mess off the pitch. The whole operation is falling apart and the only reason SD is still here is because a Prem club hasn’t made their move yet.

Yeah, we’ve come a long way. The ultimate legacy of Dyche is the youth setup and Barnfield. But as it stands (and I have been proven wrong before mind), things are not going to end on anything other than a sour note.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:39 pm

No. Garlick should remain silent. Like good chairman do. You only ever hear from chairman when their talking ******** and making fools out of themselves and the club. We look daft enough already with Dyche being cock.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:40 pm

Off field issues destroying the team on field, a common thing in football...

whether it’s the lack of investment (Hull), debt administration (Bolton/Bury), owner making strange decisions (Watford/Leeds), fan v owner war and protests (Charlton/Coventry).

When has owner v manager war ever been good or worked out well? A club not united is only heading in one direction unfortunately

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:48 pm

The first 20mins second half showed SD still has it to lift them and shake it up. Sadly their second goal flattened us. **** happens.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:48 pm

F00k all the off field activities and shenanigans the players,manager, coaches etc are on fantastic money the likes of which we could only dream off, just F in well earn it.
If collectively they want to play like league one players then accept league one wages.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Come on jedi your on the fans board can you not sort it?

kindonesque
Been Liked: 118 times

Post by kindonesque » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm

huw is right ....we would have got at least a point but for Pope's expression of infallibility. In the Moneyball world of modern football - Dyche is as good as Harry Potts if not better.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:25 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:17 pm
Dyche should have resigned after the Brighton game when his stock was sky high. It must have been obvious in which direction the club was heading over the summer.

The fact he's stayed on and continued this feud with the chairman is ripping the club in two.
His stock is still high and wont be affected too.much by todays result. But he must consider his options now and maybe put feelers out. Notts Forest would be a good move for him

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:15 am

Stayingup wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:25 pm
His stock is still high and wont be affected too.much by todays result. But he must consider his options now and maybe put feelers out. Notts Forest would be a good move for him
I don't think Dyche would get another Premier league job. Rightly or wrongly he's been penned as a Tony Pulis Mk 2. When he moves on it may have to be somewhere like Forest or Derby.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:18 am

Stayingup wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:25 pm
OK I give in.

Why have Forest become the go to club for Dyche all of a sudden?

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:53 am

Not read any comments re Dyche contract. I would assume that if Garlick wants to fire Dyche it will cost a few million. However if Dyche resigns it will cost the club nowt. Therefore why would Sean resign. He is not that stupid. If he leaves it will be with a very nice pay off. My guess is that Garlick will cash his chips in and disappear. The new owners will then talk to Sean and decide his future. Sadly by then we will be in an even worse state than we are today. I am just hoping that by the time we play West Brom all matters will be resolved. But I doubt it
Last edited by FCBurnley on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:00 am

:shock: When did Trump take charge

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:06 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:00 am
:shock: When did Trump take charge
😂

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:01 am

I've actually lost count of the amount of times when asked about the transfer situation Dyche has followed up his comments by saying that it's nothing new and he's had to deal with it. He's not happy, but he sure as **** isn't going to walk away from a job that pays him over 4 million a year !!

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:54 am

This is ridiculous. Promising results in the league cup. Beaten eventually by Man City. So, three losses in the league. Difficult playing conditions tonight. Anything could have happened. Players are coming back. We will get results.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:22 am

Maybe, you, and others on here, are acting like Bed wetting Pansies?... Has this crossed your mind?
3 games in.......FFS!