What or who is to blame?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 667 times

What or who is to blame?

Post by burnley007 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:15 pm

There is a serious problem at the club.

Everyone looks utterly annoyed.
This can not carry on
We are guaranteed to get relegated at this rate.

Who is the problem? I can only assume it's Garlick, I think everyone at the club has had enough of his penny pinching.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: What or who is to blame?

Post by SGr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm

It’s Mike Garlick for me.

I’ve been criticising our recruitment for years on here, well documented. I’ve banged on about how we should/should not be signing this, that, the other - but ultimately all of it is irrelevant in hindsight.

We are 3 games into the season with “winnable” games being played and have spent roughly £1m on 31 year old Stephens and a 3rd choice goalkeeper. Deals aren’t being done to actually improve the XI, short or long term. What’s the point in any recruitment policy if the man with the chequebook isn’t going to get things over the line?
Last edited by SGr on Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:20 pm

£1bn over 10 years.

I wouldn't give Dyche a penny to spend, he's done nothing but **** away transfer fees and clearly pay too much money to over the hill players.
This user liked this post: burnley007

burnley007

Post by burnley007 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:20 pm
£1bn over 10 years.

I wouldn't give Dyche a penny to spend, he's done nothing but **** away transfer fees and clearly pay too much money to over the hill players.
You forgot the smiley face

burnley007

Post by burnley007 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:22 pm

SGr wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm

I’ve been criticising our recruitment for years on here, well documented. I’ve banged on about how we should/should not be signing this, that, the other - but ultimately all of it is irrelevant in hindsight.

We are 3 games into the season with “winnable” games being played and have spent roughly £1m on 31 year old Stephens and a 3rd choice goalkeeper. Deals aren’t being done to actually improve the XI, short or long term. What’s the point in any recruitment policy if the man with the chequebook isn’t going to get things over the line?
The post match interview seems to show Sean's agreement with that

SGr

Post by SGr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:22 pm

Seems to me the more “established” we become in this division, the more farcical things become. It’s year on year.
These 4 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe Rumpelstiltskin randomclaret2

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:27 pm

SGr wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm

We know you've banged on, you don't need to remind us how much you've done it.

Amusingly before this season you've always been proven wrong by Dyche/the team and once the injured players return and things return to normal I suspect you'll be shown up again.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:28 pm

Obama

texasbrit
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by texasbrit » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:31 pm

Garlick needs FOt before he ruins this club

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:34 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
£1bn over 10 years.

He is having to buy these older, or cheaper players because he is given a pittance to spend on new players, and still managed 2 promotions, 5 successive years in the PL and 2 top ten finishes. Name me another manager who could have done this on our budget What about Heaton, Arfield, Joey Barton, Cork Westwood, Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes,Bardsley(one of our better players today)

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:35 pm

I'm to blame. Ever since I started watching Burnley they've been up and down like a rollercoaster.

Nothing has ever been easy for Burnley since I started supporting them. It's clearly my fault.

I should have started supporting t' bast@rds and then Burnley wouldn't have any problems and would be in the Champions League every season.

I'm really sorry.
These 3 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret Woodleyclaret longsidepies

SGr

Post by SGr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:35 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:27 pm
We know you've banged on, you don't need to remind us how much you've done it.

Amusingly before this season you've always been proven wrong by Dyche/the team and once the injured players return and things return to normal I suspect you'll be shown up again.
Few points from this one.

Firstly, I haven’t said we’re relegated. So I don’t see what there is to be shown up about.

Second, Burnley surviving this season under the current conditions wouldn’t justify anything that has gone on off the field. Dyche isn’t happy, hasn’t been for ages, and it’s blatantly obvious.

And finally, you can act as smug as you like, but I don’t care about being “shown up”. I want us to stay up. I have my opinions on how that’ll happen, but all I care about is the result.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:39 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:35 pm
I'm to blame. Ever since I started watching Burnley they've been up and down like a rollercoaster.

Nothing has ever been easy for Burnley since I started supporting them. It's clearly my fault.

I should have started supporting t' bast@rds and then Burnley wouldn't have any problems and would be in the Champions League every season.

I'm really sorry.
I ******* knew it, *******

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:42 pm

SGr wrote:
Few points from this one.

Firstly, I haven’t said we’re relegated. So I don’t see what there is to be shown up about.

Second, Burnley surviving this season under the current conditions wouldn’t justify anything that has gone on off the field. Dyche isn’t happy, hasn’t been for ages, and it’s blatantly obvious.

And finally, you can act as smug as you like, but I don’t care about being “shown up”. I want us to stay up. I have my opinions on how that’ll happen, but all I care about is the result.
Shown up when you complain about the transfers and every season the team have stayed up, twice finishing in the top 10.
It isn't just you, there are several people who appear during or just after the transfer window or a run of defeats who love to have a bitch about how the club is usually run.

Burnley surviving this season would be business as normal for the club.

The off field issues shouldn't be affecting the players, they're paid large sums of money to go out and, in Dyches own words, 'leave everything on the pitch'.

They aren't and that's a big part of the problem this season.
Once they get that attitude back then we will start to pick up points.
If they don't then that's a failure by the manager to motivate his players to perform and by the players to get out there and do the job they're paid to do.

As for Dyche I've always been a big believer of if you're not happy in your job, then go work somewhere else.
If he's really that unhappy then why is he still here?
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret Woodleyclaret

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:50 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:42 pm
Shown up when you complain about the transfers and every season the team have stayed up, twice finishing in the top 10.
It isn't just you, there are several people who appear during or just after the transfer window or a run of defeats who love to have a bitch about how the club is usually run.

The off field issues shouldn't be affecting the players, they're paid large sums of money to go out and, in Dyches own words, 'leave everything on the pitch'.

If they don't then that's a failure by the manager to motivate his players to perform and by the players to get out there and do the job they're paid to do.

As for Dyche I've always been a big believer of if you're not happy in your job, then go work somewhere else.

Could not agree more. We have runs like this, it is nothing new. I think it is often pantomime to reset expectations I think... usually after we been seen as having a good season. But if SD is really upset, by the standards he expects of those around him... I hope he is honest enough, not to destroy the club he has helped build just to collect his contract payments.

But like I said we have reset things several times when all was doom and gloom, I see no real reason for that not to be the case again. Mild concern rather than panic for me.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 evensteadiereddie

tarkys_ears

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:50 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:34 pm
He is having to buy these older, or cheaper players because he is given a pittance to spend on new players, and still managed 2 promotions, 5 successive years in the PL and 2 top ten finishes. Name me another manager who could have done this on our budget What about Heaton, Arfield, Joey Barton, Cork Westwood, Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes,Bardsley(one of our better players today)
Yeah but it seems his list of failures is waaaay longer than his list of achievements.

He should set his sights on the England job
He does a lot better when he only has to choose from a certain squad. He's not shrewd enough to deal with finances.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:39 pm
I ******* knew it, *******
We can't all run away and join the mafia in Las Vegas.

Some of us have to stop here and ride it out.

And it's p1ssing it down here.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:58 pm

Lettings players go for nothing when they were in the last year of their contract was a joke when you consider what we paid for them and what they were still worth to the club unless they wer5e going to be replaced. Dyche kept telling the Board we needed to sort the contracts out, the Hendrick situation was a farce.

We already have a large number of players who are also out of contract soon and how will these be replaced or will we keep them when they are aging even more. Where is the money available to replace them ?

The Board have known for ages that players were injured some of them long term. JBG and Brady get injured more times than a kamikaze pilot. It pretty obvious that players who get frequent injuries especially long term niggles are prone to getting even more injuries never mind the fact that they also slow up more and more.

It was also obvious that a large number of our players are considerably older than most PL squads, we also lack pace and creativity.

It was also pretty obvious that our younger players below the usual first team squad lack any experience and are simply not good enough for the PL. Which is why we offload youngsters every year at the club, either that or we send them out on loan to low league teams and very few of them breakthrough. Burnley as a club in the 60's and beyond had a fantastic reputation in developing youngsters and bringing them through into good quality players, and that seems to be gone. Dyche told the Board a number of times that the youngsters weren't anywhere ready or good enough.

The last minute.com comment by Dyche was so true as Burnley as a club dither and faff about over getting players over the line often quibbling over very small amounts. We sit by navel gazing saying we are considering making a bid then take ages to make bids at insulting levels whilst other teams put the bid in and strike deals almost immediately.

It is also very obvious that a club with an incredibly small squad, ravaged by injuries, with older players playing many games in short periods are going to make players tired and more prone to injury. This season finished late, players then played a lot of games in a short space of time, then had a shorter break than normal and if you don't have enough players to rotate the squad then problems will arise. All this was known to the Board.

When players themselves say the team needs further players and fresh input then it is again obvious there is a problem. Our squad looks jaded, tired and has low morale.

Morale is low because of the way players out of contract like Hendrick were treated. Is it any wonder that all the players whose contracts also end soon have the feeling they may get the same treatment as Hendrick. These players worry about their futures. The players deeply respect and trust Sean Dyche and what he has done for the club so it is no surprise they probably think they and him are being disrespected by the Chairman.

You can only go to the well so many times. Relying on Sean Dyche pulling off miracles every time is a ridiculous strategy and WILL ultimately go ti*s up. It is appalling to think that some posters on this board only have the ambition of survival even if that is in the lower leagues. I want Burnley to do better than that otherwise what is the point of it.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

SGr

Post by SGr » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:02 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:42 pm

Lot to unpack here, but to start I’ve praised a lot of transfers we’ve made, my main gripe has always the ones we haven’t. There are areas we’ve been talking about for ages now. Which is of course been the main talking point of tonight, about how we’re lacking in key areas, and how those are stacking up window to window.

Yes I agree, the players should not be affected by the goings on off the pitch. With the players we had on the pitch, tonight’s performance was still not good enough and that’s on them and Dyche. I hope it’ll improve.

As for Dyche well I said it on another thread. Nobody is “walking away” from the contract he is on. But if another PL club had met the conditions this summer, there’s no doubt in my mind he’d be off. I always had my mind on Villa, but in fairness to them they’ve shown loyalty towards Dean Smith.

And yeah, I don’t want his problems to spill into the dressing room. I don’t want to think that has happened at all, it would dampen my opinion of him.
Last edited by SGr on Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:02 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:53 pm
We can't all run away and join the mafia in Las Vegas.

Some of us have to stop here and ride it out.

And it's p1ssing it down here.
I knew it was coming, especially the rain !

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:03 am

How Hendrick was treated?

Offered a new contract on more than one occasion but HE made the choice to not sign a new deal, run down his old one and leave when it expired.

I'm intrigued to hear how you perceive he was treated and how that is an issue for the other players.
In fact I can't wait to hear this one...

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:06 am

SGr wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:02 am
Lot to unpack here, but to start I’ve praised a lot of transfers we’ve made, my main gripe has always the ones we haven’t. There are areas we’ve been talking about for ages now. Which is of course been the main talking point of tonight, about how we’re lacking in key areas, and how those are stacking up window to window.

Yes I agree, the players should not be affected by the goings on off the pitch. With the players we had on the pitch, tonight’s performance was still not good enough and that’s on them and Dyche. I hope it’ll improve.

As for Dyche well I said it on another thread. Nobody is “walking away” from the contract he is on. But if another PL club had met the conditions this summer, there’s no doubt in my mind he’d be off. I always had my mind on Villa, but in fairness to them they’ve shown loyalty towards Dean Smith.
The ones we haven't made :lol:

Lots of clubs don't complete transfers, it isn't unique to Burnley.
Other clubs also miss out on players at the last minute despite them being at the club ready to sign.
If you were unaware of that go see the Fulham owners recent tweet about attempts to sign players.

We lack a right winger and a back up CB of any real quality.
I've pointed out several times that Long isn't good enough, but I've also bizarrely been told I should appreciate the fact he's willing to stay here and not rock the boat :lol:
I also didn't think Lennon was right for the club and I was right on that one in the long run.

The other issues we have right now with the squad is due to injuries.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:12 am

LaLigaClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:58 pm
Lettings players go for nothing when they were in the last year of their contract was a joke when you consider what we paid for them and what they were still worth to the club unless they wer5e going to be replaced. Dyche kept telling the Board we needed to sort the contracts out, the Hendrick situation was a farce.
A farce? So many players' contracts have run out over the past few seasons - Pope, Lowton, Taylor, Tarkowski, Mee, Gudmondsson, Wood, Barnes, McNeill, Westwood, Bardsley, Long, and Hendrick have all reached the end date of their first contracts. And of those, the club has only managed to sign extensions with Pope, Lowton, Taylor, Tarkowski, Mee, Gudmondsson, Wood, Barnes, McNeill, Westwood, Bardsley, and Long. (11 out of 12, to save counting.) How does that compare with other clubs' hit rate?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:14 am

SGr wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:02 am

And yeah, I don’t want his problems to spill into the dressing room. I don’t want to think that has happened at all, it would dampen my opinion of him.
There is every chance that, sooner or later, when the boss makes it clear that he would be off if he could find a better job, the performance of the staff drops a little bit. Has that happened here? I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

SGr

Post by SGr » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:15 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:06 am
The ones we haven't made :lol:

Lots of clubs don't complete transfers, it isn't unique to Burnley.
Other clubs also miss out on players at the last minute despite them being at the club ready to sign.
If you were unaware of that go see the Fulham owners recent tweet about attempts to sign players.

We lack a right winger and a back up CB of any real quality.
I've pointed out several times that Long isn't good enough, but I've also bizarrely been told I should appreciate the fact he's willing to stay here and not rock the boat :lol:
I also didn't think Lennon was right for the club and I was right on that one in the long run.

The other issues we have right now with the squad is due to injuries.
I’m not on about individual players. I’m on about the fact we clearly need (for example) a right winger given how injury prone JBG is, etc for some time now. But it just hasn’t happened. Right back too, both are north of 30 now and contracts are running low. CB wise, well that’s quite a recent issue. I praised the Gibson transfer, what happened there probably couldn’t have been foreseen. We both clearly agree Long isn’t good enough.

Lennon, well I’m not sure. We did finish top 10 that year as you mentioned earlier re transfers. But yes, I suppose his “performances“ were few in number.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:21 am

SD et the tone for this season with all his public moaning and this seems to have generated a sense of failure in the team. So he should take his share of the blame. There seems to be a case of memory loss from some posters on here. SD has had money to spend and has made made some expensive signings some of which have been financial losses on a large scale.
Hendrick is mentioned endlessly on here when none of us know the true facts. He may well have been determined to run down his contract for a bigger pay day at another club in which case he could have 'held the club to ransom' for a pay packet that was unsustainable.
SD should be 'talking the job up instead of dragging it down.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 am

LaLigaClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:58 pm

We already have a large number of players who are also out of contract soon and how will these be replaced or will we keep them when they are aging even more. Where is the money available to replace them ?

The Board have known for ages that players were injured some of them long term. JBG and Brady get injured more times than a kamikaze pilot. It pretty obvious that players who get frequent injuries especially long term niggles are prone to getting even more injuries never mind the fact that they also slow up more and more......

....Morale is low because of the way players out of contract like Hendrick were treated. Is it any wonder that all the players whose contracts also end soon have the feeling they may get the same treatment as Hendric
This. We let a central midfield go before the season finished because we weren't prepared to pay him what he wanted, then ended up replacing him after the new season starts for a cost of probably double what it would have cost to keep that initial (youngrr) midfielder who was a key part of the team and knows the system.

It was all very well to take an opportunity to gamble on not replacing outgoing players on the grounds that although the season was extended we would be OK. Move off some earners to free wages. Grand. But bring in some younger players maybe who could make up those empty squad numbers.

If people would have said we were letting 4 first team players go and replacing only one whilst carrying injuries to two other first team players, and relying on Brady and JBG to play a full season they'd have been laughed out of town Nd rightly so.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:28 am

claret59 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:21 am
SD et the tone for this season with all his public moaning and this seems to have generated a sense of failure in the team. So he should take his share of the blame. There seems to be a case of memory loss from some posters on here. SD has had money to spend and has made made some expensive signings some of which have been financial losses on a large scale.
Hendrick is mentioned endlessly on here when none of us know the true facts. He may well have been determined to run down his contract for a bigger pay day at another club in which case he could have 'held the club to ransom' for a pay packet that was unsustainable.
Gibson is the only big money failure for Dyche and maybe Vydra.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:28 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 am
If people would have said we were letting 4 first team players go and replacing only one ...
So far, we've replaced two.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
£1bn over 10 years.

You need a reality check if you think Dyche spends the money.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 am
This. We let a central midfield go before the season finished because we weren't prepared to pay him what he wanted, then ended up replacing him after the new season starts for a cost of probably double what it would have cost to keep that initial (youngrr) midfielder who was a key part of the team and knows the system.

It was all very well to take an opportunity to gamble on not replacing outgoing players on the grounds that although the season was extended we would be OK. Move off some earners to free wages. Grand. But bring in some younger players maybe who could make up those empty squad numbers.

If people would have said we were letting 4 first team players go and replacing only one whilst carrying injuries to two other first team players, and relying on Brady and JBG to play a full season they'd have been laughed out of town Nd rightly so.
Do you know what Hendrick wanted to stay here and do you know what he's on at Newcastle?

I'm gonna guess it's no to both but the club made an offer and he decided to go as was his legal right at the end of his contract.

We didn't really miss him after the re start, and plenty of people on here will bizarrely tell you he's garbage anyway, but I agree about him being a key part of the team etc.

tarkys_ears

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:50 am

bf2k wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 am
You need a reality check if you think Dyche spends the money.
Elaborate then?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:50 am
Elaborate then?
It's pretty easy to understand.

Dyche and team identify potential players.

Club go out and make efforts to sign said players.

Dyche doesn't agree the fees or wages etc.

Dyche doesn't spend the money, the club does, although obviously it's more complex then what I've said.

OrientMascot
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by OrientMascot » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:57 am

Yes we should have signed some players. But the biggest issue at the moment is the lack of togetherness between the board, the management & the fans. As much as I want us to sign players to make a difference we must all realise it ain’t going to happen. Dyche’s constant sniping at the board for lack of incoming players is destroying the “one club mentality” he preached about. Takeover, no takeover? Who cares? We’ve not become **** over close season. One thing is for sure, we need to get on with what we’ve got. We bitch at the media for downplaying us, opposition fans say we’re **** but we’re successful because we are BURNLEY. We unite & stand together (club, management & fans) - if we lose that it will unravel very quickly.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:49 am

OrientMascot wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:57 am
Yes we should have signed some players. But the biggest issue at the moment is the lack of togetherness between the board, the management & the fans. As much as I want us to sign players to make a difference we must all realise it ain’t going to happen. Dyche’s constant sniping at the board for lack of incoming players is destroying the “one club mentality” he preached about. Takeover, no takeover? Who cares? We’ve not become **** over close season. One thing is for sure, we need to get on with what we’ve got. We bitch at the media for downplaying us, opposition fans say we’re **** but we’re successful because we are BURNLEY. We unite & stand together (club, management & fans) - if we lose that it will unravel very quickly.
I think 99.999999999% of us back Dyche and the players, the split is clearly with the board
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

burnley007

Post by burnley007 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:00 am

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow...

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:07 am

Lack of pace within the team fullstop

Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by Fez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 am

We don't have a single fast player in the squad and no creativity on the right. Ageing squad, lots of injuries, asking too much of what should be a 4th choice centre back. Dyche and the boards spat is rubbing off on the team, the one club mentality hasn't been there. The lads are shattered and lacking motivation. We threw a signing straight into the side after 1 training session, something Dyche has only ever done once previously. No wonder other players look flat, that in itself will make other players de motivated. What has Stephens done to earn his place? What has Brownhill done to be moved out of a position he was thriving in? Could jbg or brady not have started the game and come off in the second half? Can dunne really not be given a chance when he looks so eager?

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:05 am

I think Dyche and Garlick share some blame. Dyche has been far too negative in public about the situation. For all the things he preaches about the one club mentality, positive mindsets etc I'm not seeing much of that from him in his comments to the media or in his tactical approach to games. I worry that negativity rubs off on players. He's far too negative and predictable in his approach to games and the waste of money on players like Gibson, Hart, and Vydra doesn't help his case. Dyche is being paid a wage most of us could only ever dream of. He won't be walking away anytime soon unless it's for another club (and I think he'll be off the first chance he gets).

However, we don't know how much of this is down to a lack of funds. Who knows how the squad would look and how we'd play if he had a bit more money to spend. Despite my mentioning Gibson and Hart, Dyche has made plenty of good signings over the years. My concern is that there hasn't been many in the last few seasons. Garlick is being way too tight with things and it's unacceptable that the squad is in this current situation. Signing more over 30-year-olds doesn't help (I'll say it again -- it's by far the oldest squad in the PL) and only kicks the can further down the road. They're both to blame and they either need to make amends or one should go.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:08 am

claret59 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:21 am
He led us to a 10th place finish last year. Let’s forget the ‘he’s useless with money arguement’.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:25 am

the wage bill and greed of modern football
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies CombatClaret

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:32 am

'All £20 million gets you is a Championship player'

Chris Wilder
Sheffield United

That just about sums up the real problem with football and the Premier League
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 am

KefkaClaret wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:28 am
Gibson is the only big money failure for Dyche and maybe Vydra.
Gibson + (Covid) could be the root of the problem between Chairman and Manager. Exacerbated by not retaining Hendrick and Lennion. Will it be fatal? Could be.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:39 am

Something is seriously wrong in the club and its now rubbing off on the team and the manager.Our better players like Wood, Pope, Taylor,Tarks are not motivated as seen last night
Post lockdown last year in that run of games, the team last night would have beaten Newcastle, or as a minimum drawn. For me Pope's performance last night said it all, particularly as he is on he brink of an England game. He will soon be amongst some of the country's best players thinking what am I doing staying at Burnley

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:19 am

The board for me...its a bloody shambles.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:25 am

Stayingup wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 am
Gibson + (Covid) could be the root of the problem between Chairman and Manager. Exacerbated by not retaining Hendrick and Lennion. Will it be fatal? Could be.
Why would Gibson stop the board letting Dyche sign new players? ‘Sorry Sean that didn’t work out we know it wasn’t your fault but we’ve decided you can’t sign anyone for more than £1 million from now on’.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:26 am

JohnMac wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:32 am
'All £20 million gets you is a Championship player'

Chris Wilder
Sheffield United

That just about sums up the real problem with football and the Premier League
We’ve just signed 1 higher up for 19 million less roughly, I get the point though for anybody half decent youngish with development potential you are looking thereabouts.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:33 am

Whoever in the club hierarchy is to blame, due to Covid restrictions Garlick can sit in the stands, obscured by face mask, watching on oblivious to any fan frustration or hostility. The same applies to SD pacing up and down his technical area.

The show will go on with us watching it all unfold on our TV screens and venting our frustrations on a message board.

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Usually when there is a disagreement at the top of a organisation it starts to affect other people and this has been the case for the last two or three matches. Players have not reached the standard shown a few weeks earlier. They have been half yard slower than the opposition lacking basic skills such as passing and ball control
Unless someone sits them down to resolve their differences there is only one outcome and that will be one or both to resign. The club is bigger than both the Chairman and Manager it was here before they arrived and will still be here when they have departed.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:48 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:

I'm really sorry.
I can relate to that.

I was responsible for the Queen Mother's death a few years ago.

I remember coming home from work and switching the tele on. I was met by the news reader saying, "if you've just joined us, the Queen Mother has passed away."