Extended Transfer Window Autumn 2020 (Must Contain Link)’ thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Extended Transfer Window Autumn 2020 (Must Contain Link)’ thread

Post by MACCA » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:58 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:22 am
What price some numpty coming along any day now to ask if there is a ‘loan window’ we can utilise.
Is there a loan window we can utilise?

If not we could always search the players who currently have no club, they could be some real gems unearthed.
Also their lack of a contract may force them to accept lesser terms.
It could be a masterstroke.

Watch this space!

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 am

No more from CT. It does look like relationships at the club are strained. Let's hope it doesn't bite us in the bum. Our team is strong enough to stay up providing we avoid injuries to key players, we just don't have the depth of squad as we have seen already.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 am

HaVe We SiGnEd AnYoNe ElSe YeT?

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:44 am

In the lack of any transparency from the club you must assume the Board have accepted the strong possibility of relegation. We are after all with all the bookies 3rd favorites to go down. Maybe if they knew what was going on behind the scenes we would be first favorites

There are just too many bad scenarios to the behavior in this window. For example we bid for Wilson, and favorites to get him, then pull out, and its looking now that we could have got him on loan. I thought Dawson who was a perfect fit, or according to some a few weeks ago a WHEN, instead of an IF, go on loan to WHU who have nothing like the defensive exposures of ourselves. If its down to SD not wanting either then he needs to be told to SHUT UP about our transfer policy or he will be disciplined

We have the worst injuries in a depleted squad that I have known since being in the PL. This week Long came off playing for ROI, and sadly we know two of our potential first teamers JBG and Brady have rarely featured in the past 40 or so games. The past shows its when you are down that more injuries materialise and the fear of relegation will start to eat in to our stronger players as they fear the drop (Wood, Pope, McNeil, Taylor).

The ever hopefuls on here keep saying we will be OK -we finished 10th last year. I am not so certain even if we get Mee back alongside JT that we can keep anything like the clean sheets as last year, and getting no points after the first 7 games may be a strong possibility. I suspect team morale is nothing like that of post lockdown last season.Clearly our manager is a demotivated person.

I guess we will never know the true story, however just like Gibsongate the man at the top has to take responsibility about the way our beloved club is behaving with no consideration for its fans. They will drive away some of the fringe fans which every club has, and inevitably face the Championship where we will be facing a much stronger challenge than our two previous stints in this Division.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:54 am

More chance of me finding a player whilst doing my Tesco shop.

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:18 am

I'm probably adding 2 and 2 together to get 5 but reading a few of the stories and putting them together has lead me to think MG expects SD to walk away in January after getting his bonus. There's disagreements over transfer policy and I'm interpreting that as MG/MR want younger players with potential sell on whilst SD wants experience/characters more in keeping with the squad that has achieved for him. So MG won't want to spend money on players for a manager that won't be around for the length of the contracts or on players that don't fit the long term plan, SD won't use players he doesn't want so we're in limbo until January. MG banking on SD not wanting to harm his reputation/standing with potential employers and that we'll still be in with a shot of safety in January when he can reboot the club with the ALK investment and go in a different direction that SD doesn't buy in to.

Or, more likely, I'm way off.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:31 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 pm
Would you like to clarify exactly what you mean please?

Are you suggesting that MG doesn’t want to help SD or the football club? Why would he do that in your opinion? Do you seriously think the Chairman has “given up on the Club”?
Well, it certainly doesn’t seem that way from the outside looking in. Covid has complicated matters, I get that, but even prior we’d had 2 poor windows whilst sat on (at a point in time - could be less at some point, more at others) £41 million pounds.

I’m all for prudence, but when you have clear areas that require strengthening, that demonstrates a lack of willingness to support SD. I’m coupling those actions with the words of CT (who will be infinitely better advised on such matters than I), plus the public comments from Dyche that have been quite disparaging (suggesting a relationship breakdown) and putting 2+2 together.

So what might the alternative reasons be? Maybe we really are broke? But Dyche says we’re not. I think he’s a pretty straightforward guy, not prone to massive porkies. I don’t doubt him. Or maybe, a takeover is in the offing and spending a load of cash disrupts the financials of that deal? Again, I can’t understand that because you would expect in any such transaction the buyer would want to know that the squad is strong and the manager supported/motivated. So you could easily agree a summer transfer budget with prospective buyers on that justification. M&A happens all the time and takes a long time - you can’t stop running the organisation whilst it takes place. Buyers know that so should be consulted and agreements reached.

What’s in it for MG? No idea. It’s business basics that if you stop investing you go backwards. He’s obviously a highly successful businessman so will know that. So I can only believe it’s a relationship issue. I hope Riggs not involved as it would be disastrous if a non-entity were creating issues between the clubs most successful manager in recent times and the Chairman whose helped oversee it. I’m not sure that’s the case though because SD always praises the progress made in that area, but criticises the lack of funding.

We already had a paper thin squad. We’ve lost 4, signed one. That’s underinvestment whichever way you look at it. You can’t blame Covid because other clubs are finding a way - see Dawson’s loan with an option.

If we don’t support Sean, I think it’s the beginning of the end; either he’ll leave or ultimately his motivation will wane. So much of him performing miracles is based on his ability to motivate the team and for that needs to be motivated himself.

I’ve accepted this window that we don’t belong at this top table. -£1m spent vs £1.25bn. We just can’t compete. What frustrates me is I honestly think over the next five years the PL will find ways to grow it’s revenues significantly, which will leave the rest behind. We have the core foundations - good manager, good core team - to stay here for that period, despite being out of our depth financially. If we invested now and retained our PL status I think we could leave Championship clubs behind with our financial capability - I.e. possibly not remain in the PL long term but ensure we’re always a top Championship team - but if we go down soon may never be able to catch back up to those that stayed in the PL by investing at the right point.

I really, really want to be wrong on this. I’m praying we make some moves in the next few days. Nothing will please me more. But given the lack of news I can only assume we’ve decided we’re tier 3 and shut up shop!
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 warksclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:31 am
We already had a paper thin squad. We’ve lost 4, signed one. That’s underinvestment whichever way you look at it. You can’t blame Covid because other clubs are finding a way - see Dawson’s loan with an option.
How have we lost 4 and signed 1?

Based on first team squad players, since we started last season we have lost Lennon, Hendrick, Hart and Gibson. And we've signed Brownhill, Stephens and Norris. I make that 1 player down on the squad which started last season. I'm not counting Drinkwater for obvious reasons.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 pm

The squad that started LAST season ?? Were talking about this tranfer window

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Based on first team squad players, since we started last season we have lost Lennon, Hendrick, Hart and Gibson. And we've signed Brownhill, Stephens and Norris. I make that 1 player down on the squad which started last season. I'm not counting Drinkwater for obvious reasons.
Don't forget SD wants 2 players per position, and with the inclusion of Dunne and Benson into the first team squad, we now have that.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 pm
The squad that started LAST season ?? Were talking about this tranfer window
Surely the start of last season is the best comparison of squad strength?

If you want to focus purely on this transfer window then I make it that we've lost none and signed Stephens and Norris, which is why the transfer window isn't a particularly useful period for comparison.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:23 pm
Don't forget SD wants 2 players per position, and with the inclusion of Dunne and Benson into the first team squad, we now have that.
We're obviously a 'senior' CB and RM short, but otherwise we do have 2 players per position. We're clearly a couple of players short of where we'd ideally be, but our squad is very comparable with the one that started last season.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:55 pm

Rileybobs wrote:

I am saying that the squad has lost Hart, Lennon, Hendrick, Gibson this summer. Brownhill was signed in Jan (and in all so part of the squad already - albeit in all probability wouldn’t have joined had we not had Wells to Part Ex.

I’m not counting Norris. With no disrespect, he’s replacing Ledgzins who I deliberately missed off my list of departures.

Stephens is all we have signed, who at first glance, looks a downgrade on Hendrick, accepting its early days and other more established players look out of sorts atm too.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 pm
We're obviously a 'senior' CB and RM short, but otherwise we do have 2 players per position. We're clearly a couple of players short of where we'd ideally be, but our squad is very comparable with the one that started last season.
I think if we’d signed some quality in both of those positions we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Issue is, we haven’t :(

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:01 pm

You can go round in circles all day long,but the fact is we have a squad extremely light on numbers, witnessed by repeatedly only having 12 or 13 senior outfield players since the resumption after lockdown.How anyone thinks that is acceptable at a Premier League club is completely beyond me.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:10 pm

The name of the game is to get better than what you already have not just replace

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:01 pm
You can go round in circles all day long,but the fact is we have a squad extremely light on numbers, witnessed by repeatedly only having 12 or 13 senior outfield players since the resumption after lockdown.How anyone thinks that is acceptable at a Premier League club is completely beyond me.
The fact is that even if we had a couple more senior players fit and available at the resumption after lockdown, we would still have been very low on numbers due to an exceptional number of injured players. Unless you think that this club can afford to carry a significantly larger number of players?

I don't think that anybody feels the squad is as strong as it could ideally be, but if you take a step back you will see it's very comparable to the squad that we had at the start of last season.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:10 pm
The name of the game is to get better than what you already have not just replace
Absolutely. And I think it's become patently clear how difficult it now is for us to do so with our financial constraints. It's not physically possible for every club to get stronger every season.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:21 pm

We can debate the pluses and minuses of our squad all day long. Bottom line is we have never needed to strengthen as we do now, and we have not even exploited the loans (ie Wilson and Dawson to quote two). Our dealings were one player Stephens who balances out Hendrick leaving

Burnley fans never seem to accept what other clubs have done. If you look at the 10 clubs below us last year, 3 got relegated -the other 7 have done this
EVERTON, amazing recruitment with real quality, to challenge the top 6
ASTON VILLA, strengthened immensely. The 7-2 win v Liverpool was no fluke
NEWCASTLE-4 major acquisitions-beat us so easily
WEST HAM-very strong in the market and may buy another striker in next 3 days
PALACE -some shrewd purchases and looking a half decent side
SOUTHAMPTON-two shrewd purchases. They managed their win with us with considerable ease.Set up to win a number of away games
BRIGHTON-strong in the market in recent months-again beat us so easily in our last match with them, and could afford to let Stephens leave

On this basis we are relying so heavily on Fulham & WBA going down, and either Sheff UTD/Brighton or Palace having a really bad season for us to stay up. Those thinking we will make a significant signing in the next 3 days are in CLOUD CUCKOO LAND. Would n't surprise me if Garlick has given Rigg and Co time off this week

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:21 pm
We can debate the pluses and minuses of our squad all day long. Bottom line is we have never needed to strengthen as we do now, and we have not even exploited the loans (ie Wilson and Dawson to quote two). Our dealings were one player Stephens who balances out Hendrick leaving

Burnley fans never seem to accept what other clubs have done. If you look at the 10 clubs below us last year, 3 got relegated -the other 7 have done this
SOUTHAMPTON-two shrewd purchases. They managed their win with us with considerable ease.Set up to win a number of away games
BRIGHTON-strong in the market in recent months-again beat us so easily in our last match with them, and could afford to let Stephens leave

On this basis we are relying so heavily on Fulham & WBA going down, and either Sheff UTD/Brighton or Palace having a really bad season for us to stay up. Those thinking we will make a significant signing in the next 3 days are in CLOUD CUCKOO LAND. Would n't surprise me if Garlick has given Rigg and Co time off this week
And on the flip side will you hold your hands up and say any of those clubs have failed if they dont get into Europe?

boyyanno
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 pm
The fact is that even if we had a couple more senior players fit and available at the resumption after lockdown, we would still have been very low on numbers due to an exceptional number of injured players. Unless you think that this club can afford to carry a significantly larger number of players?

I don't think that anybody feels the squad is as strong as it could ideally be, but if you take a step back you will see it's very comparable to the squad that we had at the start of last season.
There are two different things here Riley, one that I agree with and one that I don't.

In terms of numbers I would agree that the squad isn't too dissimilar to last season, but I don't agree that in terms of squad strength the two teams are comparable.

The back four is significantly weaker, proven by the fact that Long and Dunne started the season. Whether this is due to injury is irrelevant imo, we have still allowed Long to become the 3rd choice centre half and Dunne the 4th by not replacing Gibson. Bardsley is a year older (and even though I rate him) he will not continue forever.

The Midfield and frontline are similar, but by losing Lennon and not getting a right winger we have fewer options on that side of the pitch as JGB and Brady are Darren Anderton wannabees and likely to be unavailable for large portions of the season. I'll accept Brownhill for Hendrick and the frontline is still unchanged, but on the whole given we set up to defend first and foremost: if our defense is weakened then our side is considerably worse off.

With better decision making we could have improved the squad with little money IMO. We could have signed Eliasson, Dawson and Stephens, and whilst that business would have been underwhelming for some, it would have been just about what we needed and under a 10m spend. I don't think that is an unreasonable ask.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm
And on the flip side will you hold your hands up and say any of those clubs have failed if they dont get into Europe?
No I won't. The point of my email being that the clubs I have listed see PL survival as vital which is why they invested. I would not expect any of them to get into the Champions League positions. Everton may do enough to get into the top 7 or above and a possible Europa League (which we know can be a distraction without a suitably sized squad)

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:38 pm

:lol: :?

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 pm
Absolutely. And I think it's become patently clear how difficult it now is for us to do so with our financial constraints. It's not physically possible for every club to get stronger every season.
I agree but we never even tried a couple of years ago when we qualified for Europe

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Rileybobs wrote:

So you’re purposely forgetting both Defour and Drinkwater then.....so let’s say lost 5(6) and signed 2 as I don’t think we can count Norris if we aren’t counting Legdzins.

To try and even suggest we aren’t weaker is quite frankly ridiculous.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Why do I keep clicking onto this bloody thread. We all know how it will end up, yet still click it!
These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies superdimitri BOYSIE31 Steddyman

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:01 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:09 pm
So you’re purposely forgetting both Defour and Drinkwater then.....so let’s say lost 5(6) and signed 2 as I don’t think we can count Norris if we aren’t counting Legdzins.

To try and even suggest we aren’t weaker is quite frankly ridiculous.
I'm not purposely forgetting both Defour and Drinkwater, I'm just discounting them because their net contribution was zero. You can discount Norris if you like, but do we then not include players who are promoted to the first team match squad such as BPF, Dunne and Benson?

Please point out where I have suggested we aren't weaker? I have said our squad is relatively comparable with the one which began last season, which it really is. It's definitely weaker, just not to the degree that some of the drama queens on here are making out.
This user liked this post: KateR

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:21 pm

If all these teams end up being far stronger then that will mean it'll be a record low points total to win the prem as they will be beating everyone else.

Btw, the 7-2 Villa win was a fluke considering there has never been as many goals due to the pandemic.

Also, there was plenty of spending last year as well, which you seem to have forgotten about. Both West Ham & Newcastle spent £40 million on strikers, and both players are useless!

Willy
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Willy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:46 pm

I take it we can sign George Boyd after the window closes now that he's a free agent?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Not long till the January window opens!!!!

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 pm
If all these teams end up being far stronger then that will mean it'll be a record low points total to win the prem as they will be beating everyone else.

Btw, the 7-2 Villa win was a fluke considering there has never been as many goals due to the pandemic.

Also, there was plenty of spending last year as well, which you seem to have forgotten about. Both West Ham & Newcastle spent £40 million on strikers, and both players are useless!
Premier League clubs are not just spending significantly in one year but every year in an ever increasing spiral to attempt to remain in the PL.I am not saying its right, but its happening

Yes Newcastle spent last year too, as did WHU but they will have seen their survival as successful. One of those players bought by Newcastle last year Saint-Maxim (hope I have the right spelling) absolutely tore us to pieces in our last game. He gave our Charlie Taylor (who I rate highly) a torrid night, and was instrumental in their three points

I accept your point that the top clubs will be finishing with less points, as a number of teams like Everton, Villa, Leeds, Palace, Brighton are capable of taking points off these higher clubs

Your comment that Villa's win over Liverpool was a fluke did make me laugh though. Ask any neutral and see what they say

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm
What world do you live in where you could suggest the likes of Villa, Newcastle, WHU, Palace , Brighton or Southampton would consider it failure to not get into Europe after this season ends

Each of those clubs have invested money to maintain their Premier League status - simple as that :roll:
This user liked this post: warksclaret

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:36 pm
What world do you live in where you could suggest the likes of Villa, Newcastle, WHU, Palace , Brighton or Southampton would consider it failure to not get into Europe after this season ends

Each of those clubs have invested money to maintain their Premier League status - simple as that :roll:
And they can't all survive. Eventually they will get relegated and if they don't get into Europe what will they have achieved in comparison to us?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:44 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:36 pm

& at this moment in time that particular objective hasn't been achieved, it's very possible 1 or 2 from that shortlist could drop through the trapdoor.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:18 pm
Premier League clubs are not just spending significantly in one year but every year in an ever increasing spiral to attempt to remain in the PL.I am not saying its right, but its happening

Yes Newcastle spent last year too, as did WHU but they will have seen their survival as successful. One of those players bought by Newcastle last year Saint-Maxim (hope I have the right spelling) absolutely tore us to pieces in our last game. He gave our Charlie Taylor (who I rate highly) a torrid night, and was instrumental in their three points

I accept your point that the top clubs will be finishing with less points, as a number of teams like Everton, Villa, Leeds, Palace, Brighton are capable of taking points off these higher clubs

Your comment that Villa's win over Liverpool was a fluke did make me laugh though. Ask any neutral and see what they say
Aren't we capable of taking points off the bigger clubs as well?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:18 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 pm
Aren't we capable of taking points off the bigger clubs as well?
At this moment in time it's questionable if we can take points off some of the smaller sides no disrespect to the saints without even thinking of the man city's & Liverpool's, even this early on in some quarters you could easily be forgiven for sensing the baggie game could be a 6 pointer.

burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 668 times

Post by burnley007 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 am

Has the transfer window opened yet?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:59 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm
Not long till the January window opens!!!!
Oh great. Another month of disappointment to look forward to.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am

When asked if were ever serious about signing someone:

Alan Nixon
@reluctantnicko
·
19h
Made a few low bids for people

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 pm

A flukey 7-2 win.

I like your reasoning.

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:37 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am
A flukey 7-2 win.

I like your reasoning.
I'd be happy with a flukey 1-0 win against West Brom at present never mind a 7-2 over the champions.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am
When asked if were ever serious about signing someone:

Alan Nixon
@reluctantnicko
·
19h
Made a few low bids for people
You'd imagine there will be quite a few Championship clubs who are absolutely desperate for cash and who will be in a far far worse financial situation than us. You'd hope the club would be exploring these opportunities

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:27 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 am
You'd imagine there will be quite a few Championship clubs who are absolutely desperate for cash and who will be in a far far worse financial situation than us. You'd hope the club would be exploring these opportunities
Imagining is all it will be, whatever is going on at the club we won't be signing anyone beofre January. Even then I doubt we will.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 827 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Firthy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:27 pm
Imagining is all it will be, whatever is going on at the club we won't be signing anyone beofre January. Even then I doubt we will.
Very unlikely we will spend in January. If we are in or very near the bottom 3 in January, there is even less chance then that of spending. All the others around the bottom will of course take whatever risk is needed to maybe stay up.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:58 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:32 pm
Very unlikely we will spend in January. If we are in or very near the bottom 3 in January, there is even less chance then that of spending.
And if we’re doing well it’s “well there’s no need to spend then”.

Is there a magic number in the table in which we actually improve the squad :lol:

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:06 pm

We cant keep kicking the can down the road indefinitely...an ageing squad, with lots of them out of contact in the next year or two means signings will have to be made.
This user liked this post: DCWat

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:21 pm

We can do a sweepstake on when the
"January is historically always the toughest window to do business, and prices are always at their peak" line gets trotted out.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:26 pm

West Ham pay up to £30 million for a striker who has never played in the Prem:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54496129

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Ludicrous.

Said earlier in the week - we clearly don’t belong in this league any more because there’s just no way we’d pay those prices for the top talent in the league below. Not forgetting they paid £25m for Bowen in January either.

If we can’t compete for the top talent in the league below, it’s very difficult to imagine how we can stay in the one above.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:19 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:06 pm
We cant keep kicking the can down the road indefinitely...an ageing squad, with lots of them out of contact in the next year or two means signings will have to be made.
I reckon we’re hoping the PL go back to 11-a-side with no no subs and a squad limit of 12 :lol: :lol:

At some point we are going to have to buy players or just wind down :lol: