“The opposite of play is not work; the opposite of play is depression...” - I deeply miss the matchday experience!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Re: “The opposite of play is not work; the opposite of play is depression...” - I deeply miss the matchday experience!

Post by paulatky » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 pm

I think the current situation has shown the importance of having a balanced range of hobbies and interests.

If all your eggs are in one basket that can cause problems in all walks of life.

If a company has just one main product that company is at more risk than the company with 10 equally selling main products.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Re: “The opposite of play is not work; the opposite of play is depression...” - I deeply miss the matchday experience!

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:29 pm

1st thing- I really hope this thread continues the way it is and the usual posters don’t ruin it.

It’s good to hear the personal stories and feelings.

Mine is a bit of a different perspective. I would say that for the last 20 years I have been away from home for at an average of 2 nights a week, sometimes 5 nights, sometimes 1.The benefit being that the rest of the time I’ve worked from home. Probably half the time away is in London, rest of the time abroad.

Apart from 2 days in September I have worked at home since March and I haven’t been out of the country. Last year I took over 100 flights, nothing to show off about, just trying to paint the picture. The win at old Trafford I watched in a hotel in Athens.

I always refer to the end of March, April and the first couple of weeks in May as the scary time. Here is were my story is different, I was at home, I was doing the shopping, sorting the meals looking after my family. Excluding a summer holiday we had once with 15 days off work- this was the longest I have spent with my wife and daughter. Never mind just being home in the evenings, they were at home all day.

Probably around June, I had a real fear of lock down ending, having to go back to normal, a feeling of not achieving anything working at home. Football started again and i was able to watch every game.

I miss not going of course. I miss the routine of home games with my Dad. He isn’t well and I don’t know how many seasons we have. Our first game was the Orient game - we had only lived in the area a few months. So we have had a food run of it.

I think back to Spurs away last year, my 14yr old daughter joined us we had a real day out (result ignored) - that feels like a different lifetime now, imagine London and back in a day, probably being around 100k people.

Sort for the ramble, I’m 50/50 on the whole thing. I’ve had some real personal benefits of being at home, on the other hand I’ve not given my mum a hug since February or been in their house. I’ve made some memories but in another way lost out on the chance to make some other memories.

I want to be back on the Turf, but would I feel happy taking my Dad, probably not. It would be another reminder to him if what we can’t do right now.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:49 pm

WadingInDeeper wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:45 pm
Junior cricket was pretty good, no ball and equipment sharing (Not that my son would share his bat anyway), plenty of hand sanitizing and social distance as best they could. Some of the younger ones didn't really get the distancing but the older ones were pretty good. They even carried the ball/bat sharing on when they were playing whilst there was a 1st/2nd team match. Some adult could learn from the children.

By the time it started up they were that desperate to play the weather was more like you'd associate with football and the whites are beyond hope. Wet weather and cold hands didn't do much for a young spinner, but his batting made up for it.

The only thing really missing was that they couldn't develop the same bond as the team did last year, but my son and his friend were at the older end so I don't know if it made much difference.

Over the past 6 months he's kept up with school at home, had more attention and played more sport than he normally would so he benefited from lockdown.

I have good days and bad days.

You’re not wrong: children have an excellent awareness around the rules and they don’t look for the ‘grey’ as much as many potentially rebellious adults. I couldn’t be prouder of the Key Stage 2 children that I lead: they’re doing a tremendous job and quite frankly, seem to be benefiting immensely from a daily routine that is So regimented, it’s akin to something you’d see at an army barracks.

As for you sir, keep enjoying those good days and know that although the bad days will likely come again, let them pass and look forward to the next good one!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 pm
I think the current situation has shown the importance of having a balanced range of hobbies and interests.

If all your eggs are in one basket that can cause problems in all walks of life.

If a company has just one main product that company is at more risk than the company with 10 equally selling main products.

A lot of sense in this. Many people will feel fortunate that they have a few interests to fall back on - for me, now that I’m out of quarantine, it’s continuing to find time to run and literally escape.

For others, this is so much more difficult.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:04 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:29 pm
1st thing- I really hope this thread continues the way it is and the usual posters don’t ruin it.

It’s good to hear the personal stories and feelings.

Mine is a bit of a different perspective. I would say that for the last 20 years I have been away from home for at an average of 2 nights a week, sometimes 5 nights, sometimes 1.The benefit being that the rest of the time I’ve worked from home. Probably half the time away is in London, rest of the time abroad.

Apart from 2 days in September I have worked at home since March and I haven’t been out of the country. Last year I took over 100 flights, nothing to show off about, just trying to paint the picture. The win at old Trafford I watched in a hotel in Athens.

I always refer to the end of March, April and the first couple of weeks in May as the scary time. Here is were my story is different, I was at home, I was doing the shopping, sorting the meals looking after my family. Excluding a summer holiday we had once with 15 days off work- this was the longest I have spent with my wife and daughter. Never mind just being home in the evenings, they were at home all day.

Probably around June, I had a real fear of lock down ending, having to go back to normal, a feeling of not achieving anything working at home. Football started again and i was able to watch every game.

I miss not going of course. I miss the routine of home games with my Dad. He isn’t well and I don’t know how many seasons we have. Our first game was the Orient game - we had only lived in the area a few months. So we have had a food run of it.

I think back to Spurs away last year, my 14yr old daughter joined us we had a real day out (result ignored) - that feels like a different lifetime now, imagine London and back in a day, probably being around 100k people.

Sort for the ramble, I’m 50/50 on the whole thing. I’ve had some real personal benefits of being at home, on the other hand I’ve not given my mum a hug since February or been in their house. I’ve made some memories but in another way lost out on the chance to make some other memories.

I want to be back on the Turf, but would I feel happy taking my Dad, probably not. It would be another reminder to him if what we can’t do right now.
Thanks for a brilliant contribution. Totally hear where you’re coming from. This situation certainly is affecting people differently, be it good or bad. We should celebrate the good as much as possible.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 pm

I was going to contribute, but the OP said it all. what a well written and profound piece it was too. Excellent.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:45 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:49 pm
You’re not wrong: children have an excellent awareness around the rules and they don’t look for the ‘grey’ as much as many potentially rebellious adults.
I think you are spot on with that. My son is ks2 and had resigned himself to not playing this season. So when matches started up, he was desperate to play and he realised himself how important it was to follow the guidelines, and how easy it was. There was no grey areas, no pushing the boundaries. He stood well back from the coaches, kept his distance from other team members (not such an issue with cricket), if younger players were getting too close he would tell them (he quite likes shouting during matches as well) and usually got me to warm up with him.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:40 am

Great to hear that WadingInDeeper.

Wile E, many thanks for that. I hope you are keeping well.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Conroysleftfoot wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:52 pm
I don't know you Dave but you sound like a very upbeat person, a nice post stay safe.
Dave is a very nice chap to know! The world needs more Daves. :)

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Friday 9th October.

Today’s news about potentially having to ‘Pay per view’ for the vast majority of Burnley’s future games, heaps yet further frustration on the whole sorry affair about not being able to do the simple pastime of going a game of football on a Saturday afternoon with friends or family. I find it desperately sad.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:30 am

And as it’s World Mental Health Day.... try an have a great day and weekend everyone. Hope you’re able to get out, get some air and do something that is helpful and enjoyable.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2310 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 am

Woke up this morning and said to the Mrs, (I know it’s international break) but it’s one of those days where I’d be making sure I had plenty of layers on, and head in to town at lunch! Barnes last minute winner. Actually really missing it today

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:09 am

Totally agree with you. This feels like a football day, but it’s not.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread, it really is nice to know we’re not alone in this pandemic and we all share many commonalities.

For me, I feel I’ve been lucky albeit locked down and shielding for the first few months with my only human contact being my partner and autistic step son. There are times when it’s felt really bad and depression kicked me (well all of us really) but with hindsight we’ve had things quite good compared to many others. We’ve both continued working (though I was furloughed for 3 weeks at a time on a rota) and we’ve saved thousands over the past 8 months through not having weekend breaks, or travelling to Burnley for football and eating out etc. However, we’ve all felt like because of restrictions that we feel we’re being stopped from having the choice to do something. Difficult to explain really, but the analogy I’d use is this. I know I can’t afford a Ferrari, but being told I can’t have one would make me want one that little bit more. So being told I can’t do something because of Covid, even if I wouldn’t normally do that activity, makes me feel worse. The reality for us is that very little has changed, and for that I’m grateful.

FAO Davethevicar. I could drive by Lincoln on my way to Turf Moor for most home games when we’re allowed back. If you ever need a lift I’d be happy for the company in the car. I would normally arrive around 11am in Burnley and spend the day with my kids including football. So happy to drop you anywhere you’d like and pick you up for the return trip at about 8pm ish again from anywhere you’d like. I’d be happy to help a fellow claret.
These 2 users liked this post: Aclaret longsidepies

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1637 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:52 pm

FAO Zlatan
That would be brilliant when we get back to matches and I would be very happy to pay my share towards petrol and running costs and also enjoy the company of a fellow Claret.
Will obviously discuss and arrange match by match ( different start times) when we are allowed back in stadiums
May be next year)
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan longsidepies

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:19 pm

I absolutely love this: I know that this will have made Dave’s day. Thanks Zlatan
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies Zlatan DAVETHEVICAR

BigAlClaret
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by BigAlClaret » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Watching Burnley used to feel like my only release from my work and family life.I had little time for other interests or activities. Now I feel so lucky to have a secure job and my family at home but still miss football like mad.Today the sun is out and I feel good but each time I delve into football it all turns black now, another reminder of the disruption this virus has caused. I never want to take it for granted again and should be grateful for what I've got but like Tony I can't see an end to this mess.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:13 pm

I just thank God that I have a job, family in good health, the schools are open, that football is happening and that gyms/ organised sport are continuing. Any change to any of that would be difficult to endure. Many millions of people in this country are facing a winter + 2021 of worry, hardship, isolation. This thread is an important example of how we all need to look out for each other. Things are going to get a lot worse economically and politically before they get better hey, and nobody knows when that will be.
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:39 am

Take care BigAl and LS7 and thank you for your thoughts.

DAVETHEVICAR

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:50 pm

The question regarding missing the Turf on this board is very apt to this question
During this Covid academic I would not go to a game if they allowed certain numbers in to the game and I was chosen in a ballot.
However when the time comes and the whole stadium is open to everyone then I would be there “in a shot”
UTC
Stay Safe everyone

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Agree Dave

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks to those who commented on the above, but more, to the people who read (but don’t post) on here, who made contact with me, having seen my views. It’s nice that. It resonated with a few of you.

Yesterday felt like a tough day and I really think that the fact that it was a night game, under the lights and the fact that we were playing Spurs (our last opponents with a full crowd), really hit home.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:41 pm

Apologies for bumping an old thread of mine, but it felt relevant: seeing football fans back in stadia this weekend has offered both hope and frustration. I think if I had to be brutally honest, I've found it very difficult to see, knowing that I am still unable to have my routine. You may think it's selfish, but for me, the integrity of the Premier League must come into question. People say it doesn't make a difference. I would argue that the fans seated around the lower tier of Stamford Bridge and those at the Tottenham Stadium this afternoon, are making plenty of difference. It doesn't seem fair and for someone, like so many others, who is finding this situation tough, it's very difficult seeing other fans granted the privilege of attending games, like we all so desperately want to do. I fear that we may have quite a wait on our hands too, with the possible exception of Christmas week. I hope everyone is keeping well. Best wisghes.
These 3 users liked this post: JohnMac DAVETHEVICAR Zlatan

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:06 pm

How are you all finding things? Have you numbed out? Are you enjoying seeing every game on TV? I can't believe that it is now almost a year since the Tottenham game. The other day I was watching 'All or Nothing' (Spurs) and in episode seven, Covid breaks out. It took me back to that Tottenham game, where there were huge queues of people waiting in the toilets to wash their hands before the game and at half-time. Sanitizer was hard to come by then! The stadium was full and the game was played under lights; watching the footage really made me quite emotional. Really hope that we're turning a big corner now and that getting back to Turf Moor, even in a limited capacity, is now a realistic expectation, that can be planned for. All the best to you all.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:25 pm

I can't wait for this season to be over now tbh. I've given up watching on TV apart from our games.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:25 pm

I haven’t, but I can empathise with that: I know a few people who share your feelings.

DAVETHEVICAR

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm

Am still fine and going a long walk every day and a short one in mid afternoon.
Watch all the Burnley games and then other games on Sky or BBC at home.
The Burnley games on BT and Amazon Prime I watch at my Daughters which is just 7 houses up the Avenue.
Be glad to get back to games when it is completely safe and have my second Jab mid April
Hope everyone is well
UTC

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 pm

One year today since the Spurs game. Tough stuff. Hope everyone is keeping safe.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5083 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:27 pm

That was a strange day, in my group of friends we kept saying things like it's only a bit like flu, over reacting, won't spread etc just how wrong we were there is genuine optimism now. I feel especially sorry for people at either end of life, youngsters have lost a large percentage of their life to lockdown restrictions when they should be at school,learning, playing developing life skills, also older folk who are in.the autumn of their lives have had a chunk of what's left taken from them,no socialising no visits from and to loved ones,worry, seeing and knowing people they have known for years get I'll and die.
When all this is over I hope the world becomes a kinder,more generous tolerant place.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Hi John,

Not sure how I missed this thread every other time it seems to have been popular?!

I've found this lockdown far tougher than previous ones. Probably because of the weather and the lack of light hours.

Missing my reffing more than PL games, but that's to be expected, as I have pared that right down.

Can't say I'm looking forward to going back to work in a big secondary school where the kids come from all over the city. I don't feel like I am particularly safe: I guess people could call that paranoia or something, but I'm feeling more nervous this time than our previous attempts at resumption.

I'm glad that my kids are getting to see their mates soon, and hopefully their activities out of school will get back to something approaching normality. They've done really well, and are more resilient than me, but they need some different company!

Martin

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:37 am

I miss the connection with my home town and my roots which has always been provided by football. Having lived in London for the past almost 40 years it has been away games that have given me that reminder of who I am although a trip back north is always timed around being able to go and see a game.
This past year has been tough on a personal and professional level - I work at Childline and we have continued going into work every day and as you can imagine have been inundated with young people struggling to manage what is going on for them. On a personal level I live on my own in a flat in Shoreditch - you make sacrifices in terms of space and surroundings to do this with the upside being the access to all the things London can give but right now I am surrounded by empty restaurants and shops with no idea how many of those will survive.
There is light at the end of the tunnel - I, and my disabled daughter, have had our vaccine, BFC don't look like we are going to be relegated and Spring has sprung.
See you next season JDR.
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm

I don't miss it anymore because I've been over in the US for over 10 years but it took a good couple of seasons for me to get used to it. The only time I've found it depressing not to be there were the European nights and winning at OT. You do adjust to circumstance for sure, it helps being able to watch the games on TV but there is nothing like an away game with mates that's for sure.
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:49 am

My other half equally has no real interest in footy, wonders why I have a pile of programmes going back years, almost every home shirt and many away since the 70’s, videos of York, Wembley etc........but one weekend my son was away so she came with me for the weekend and came to the match........afterwards having hardly watched the match itself, more the crowd, my friends and the interaction she said she now understood just why the season ticket she buys me (as a birthday present) she couldn’t get me anything better........add on to it my son and the time we have together on match day (and others).........she now waves me off on a match day, home or away knowing that time is something special to me......(or at least will do again!)

In so many ways I’m a lucky chap...........but haven’t had a day with my son now for 12m...........Skype is a small temporary fix.

Hopefully soon............this will be behind us.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies jdrobbo

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi Tim, how's the new lockdown affecting you?

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Reb wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:37 am
I miss the connection with my home town and my roots which has always been provided by football. Having lived in London for the past almost 40 years it has been away games that have given me that reminder of who I am although a trip back north is always timed around being able to go and see a game.
This past year has been tough on a personal and professional level - I work at Childline and we have continued going into work every day and as you can imagine have been inundated with young people struggling to manage what is going on for them. On a personal level I live on my own in a flat in Shoreditch - you make sacrifices in terms of space and surroundings to do this with the upside being the access to all the things London can give but right now I am surrounded by empty restaurants and shops with no idea how many of those will survive.
There is light at the end of the tunnel - I, and my disabled daughter, have had our vaccine, BFC don't look like we are going to be relegated and Spring has sprung.
See you next season JDR.
I sincerely hope you will, Reb!

Love J x

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:49 pm

whentheballmoves wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm
Hi John,

Not sure how I missed this thread every other time it seems to have been popular?!

I've found this lockdown far tougher than previous ones. Probably because of the weather and the lack of light hours.

Missing my reffing more than PL games, but that's to be expected, as I have pared that right down.

Can't say I'm looking forward to going back to work in a big secondary school where the kids come from all over the city. I don't feel like I am particularly safe: I guess people could call that paranoia or something, but I'm feeling more nervous this time than our previous attempts at resumption.

I'm glad that my kids are getting to see their mates soon, and hopefully their activities out of school will get back to something approaching normality. They've done really well, and are more resilient than me, but they need some different company!

Martin
Great post, Martin. Hope work is ok

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:59 pm

I hope everyone is OK. I’ve been walking my black dog a lot lately, I thought he’d disappeared for a while, but he’s back and walking alongside me almost every day. I panicked a little whilst in Lidl checking out the middle of Lidl offers and stumbled across a cheap piece of rope, almost left my trolley where it was and went but gathered my thoughts and carried on leaving the rope on the shelf.

God I want normality to return, but I fear it won’t. I also noticed in Lidl the usual suspects not wearing masks and laughing about it openly. It filled me with rage if I’m honest. Upon relaying the details to my good lady on my return home she told me that’s why she doesn’t normally let me go out on my own - because I get angry at things like that and it doesn’t do me any good.

I’m so looking forward to returning to Turf Moor as soon as it’s possible, only then will I begin to feel again. That place holds some magic doesn’t it.

Be well all, UTC

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:40 am

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:59 pm
I hope everyone is OK. I’ve been walking my black dog a lot lately, I thought he’d disappeared for a while, but he’s back and walking alongside me almost every day. I panicked a little whilst in Lidl checking out the middle of Lidl offers and stumbled across a cheap piece of rope, almost left my trolley where it was and went but gathered my thoughts and carried on leaving the rope on the shelf.

God I want normality to return, but I fear it won’t. I also noticed in Lidl the usual suspects not wearing masks and laughing about it openly. It filled me with rage if I’m honest. Upon relaying the details to my good lady on my return home she told me that’s why she doesn’t normally let me go out on my own - because I get angry at things like that and it doesn’t do me any good.

I’m so looking forward to returning to Turf Moor as soon as it’s possible, only then will I begin to feel again. That place holds some magic doesn’t it.

Be well all, UTC
The wife and I carry mutual anger for those idiots and believe me there's a lot of them over here. You're not alone feeling angry nor depressed. I'll take a bit of positivity from your comments in match threads and definitely say that things will get back to normal eventually. In your post alone there's two reasons to keep at it, your lady and Burnley fc

I've posted some time back myself when I was suffering but there's one thing that football always gives you and that's the constance of it. No matter what is going on in life there's always the next game to look forward to. Many people like me gave up going to see games to make other choices in life before the pandemic. There's still a lot to be said about being able to watch the games on TV even if it's not the same as being at the Turf!

There will be a time when you are able to get to see games bud and it will be before me or any other expat claret for the matter, and there's always a way to keep positive as you are sooo good at doing during matches when everyone else is in meltdown.

I think right now it's easy to look at what we don't have and what we are missing but it can also make us appreciate what we have. The club will always be a constant and thankfully we as fans don't have to worry like Bury etc have too. There's light at the end of the tunnel and it's good to see you post your feelings on here. You're clearly a great guy and a boon to this community so please let us know if you need to talk or share anything extra.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Nearly there…

Wishing everyone a thoroughly enjoyable day on Saturday. This is important!

Love and good health to you all

J x

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Superb posts by all . UTC

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:29 pm

Hope all those in attendance today had a truly excellent time around friends and fellow fans, regardless of the result.

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:34 am

Absolutely stunning this
dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:02 pm
Whilst football isn't the passion it was once for me, I can connect with every word of that. I am very fortunate that before lockdown I had a life that I loved. Travelling loads, seeing new countries, new cultures, catching up with friends around the globe, taking in some amazing experiences, and going racing as an owner, a photographer and as a spectator at the biggest racing events. I loved photographing incredible wildlife all around the world, and then it was taken away. All of it. I was fine for maybe 5 months, but then I was low. I wasn't laughing as much as usual, and having spent 12 hours a day pretty much on zoom calls, I didn't even want to pick up the phone, or FaceTime friends and family in the evenings. By Wednesday of this week, my horses will have ran 3 times, and I won't have attended any of them.

I had a week in Burnley recently, visiting family and friends around the uk, and that lifted my spirits massively, even allowing for a 2 week self isolation quarantine on my return. I have also taken the decision that I am going to go away, in a sensible manner shortly, as the removal of everything from a diary, that at this time of year, would be full, but is currently empty.

Life is for living, not just for existing, and you have to take care of yourself and others. Get up crown point with 3 telescopes, and watch the game.

Keep your head up.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:18 am

My Match Day was how it should be and how it was before, a few beers in the pub with the same group of friends, banter, laughs and the pre match ramble. Same hike up to my seat and lovely to see the same faces, everyone shared a nod, smile and a quick “hello how’s everyone been” Ok? Ok? The chap sat next to me tells me his daughter starts school in September, and the young lad behind me has grown tall as a tree since I last saw him, and we joke about what he must have been standing in these last 17months or so.....it felt so good.
Hope everyone had some kind of positive today.....oh and I like the paint job!