disheartened.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

disheartened.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:51 am

wondering how previous generations of clarets faced up to the dawns of new seasons, and I am wondering with innocence.
never heard of all this crap about boards, accountancy, or statistical analysis until relatively recently.
we just became fed up or pleased with the outcomes.
my dad never mentioned transfers, directors, or takeovers.
this whole new era has become a sickening mess.
this is not how it was meant to be.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: disheartened.

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 am

we have never had it so good yet the feeling I get is the chairman is not determined enough to keep us where we fought incredibly hard to get to.

It's one of the reasons non-league footy is gaining in popularity, if you aren't owned by a wealthy owner it's all become a bit pointless and the soul of the game at pro level has been lost
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Foreverly Claret

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:10 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 am
we have never had it so good yet the feeling I get is the chairman is not determined enough to keep us where we fought incredibly hard to get to.

It's one of the reasons non-league footy is gaining in popularity, if you aren't owned by a wealthy owner it's all become a bit pointless and the soul of the game at pro level has been lost
Or kid’s football.

I get just as much enjoyment out of watching my lad’s under 9s team play as I do watching Burnley.

Grassroots football is brilliant.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:34 am

If you are just disheartened,Just thank god you're not a Bolton or Bury supporter.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:46 am

"My dad never mentioned transfers, directors or takeovers'"

When I first started following Burnley much of the talk then was about the ownership of Bob Lord and the best players having to be sold.

A message board during that era would have made interesting reading I'm sure.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7522 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:51 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 am

The Soul of the game was lost when all of the Big Boys got into bed with Sky and 'invented' football.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:55 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:10 am
Or kid’s football.

I get just as much enjoyment out of watching my lad’s under 9s team play as I do watching Burnley.

Grassroots football is brilliant.
Couldn’t agree more.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7522 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:46 am
"My dad never mentioned transfers, directors or takeovers'"

When I first started following Burnley much of the talk then was about the ownership of Bob Lord and the best players having to be sold.

A message board during that era would have made interesting reading I'm sure.
The message board of that era were the surrounding streets after the game, the pubs & clubs, the steps on corner shops, family living rooms, classrooms, at the barbers, bus stops..... list is endless. It was often just outspoken topic then as it is now. ;)

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:59 am

Sadly the game has moved on and the PL is only for the rich, and will continue to be

Man City bought 4 full backs in recent times that probably cost a total £120m. They have just spent close to £110m on two central defenders (look at us in that department). Spurs have spent hugely plus Bale still to start. Aston Villa have....

We could go on. Its virtually now impossible to survive. The only hope teams in the PL have of survival is that the promoted three finish in the bottom three. But as we have seen with Leeds more and more Championship clubs promoted will have wealthy owners as consortiums target Championship sides with a strong fan base

Whatever side of the fence fans sit on ie pro Dyche or pro Board, there is little we can do
This user liked this post: BennyD

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:03 am

What's most disappointing is that over the last 5 years, other than mistakes in Gibson and Hart, we have spent relatively little in Premier League terms. We have stayed within our wage structure and kept a pretty trim squad.

After all that our wage bill somehow is now near 90 million a year and we are struggling to make a profit. Add into this a lot of big city clubs such as Wolves, Leeds and Villa having unlimited wealth, it's becoming increasingly difficult to even compete anymore.

If we did go down, we need something to show for it. A healthy bank balance giving us flexibility in the championship, an improving youth system and an amazing training ground. We also need a good squad with improving players who we can sell on (a bit like the Brentford model). This is the main worry for me as we have a squad which is a bit on the old side. What has happened over the last few years regarding buying players with potential? Other than Brownhill, there has been no-one bought who can have any proper re-sale value. How much is Brownhill worth now? 15 million? He's paid for himself already.

Really really fed up, we seem to have a manager who is disillusioned, a mute chairman and a head of recruitment who is next to useless, how did we get here?

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:13 am

"Mistakes in Gibson and Hart"? Nay lad, Hart was not a mistake. And none of us know if the purchase of Gibson was actually a mistake because no-one can know what's going on in a person's mind, or what will happen when relationships go wrong.