Still missing the turf?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jimjan
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Re: Still missing the turf?

Post by Jimjan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:31 pm

I miss the prematch pint etc and the craic on the ground.
but the more this goes on I am missing the football less and less.
The games on TV are sterile

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:05 pm

I’m a bit meh with it. I’ve been going on over 30 years but I’ve no desire to get back on anytime soon. I couldn’t truly get into the TV games during the summer with no fans so only watched Burnley.

I suppose if anything I miss the match day experience. Rain or shine it’s the pre-match pint, and then having 2-3 beers afterwards putting the world to rights about how we’ve been robbed etc with mates. Forget about normal everyday problems for a few hours. VAR is spoiling it. Politics in football is spoiling it. No fans there is a hard watch. Now the “big six” think they’re better than everyone else. It’s all gone **** this last couple of years.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:58 pm

I've enjoyed going to watch Colne FC tbh. No VAR, no play acting. Club run by volunteers who do it because they genuinely love it, and as a fan you feel genuinely valued rather than a number who is just there to be made money out of.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Seriously considering ending years of travelling from Lincolnshire as two season ticket holders and swapping our season tickets for the joy of watching grass root football locally. I was happier supporting us in the lower divisions than I feel right now. Should I swap BFC for Sleaford Town or Hykeham Tigers? Only time will tell.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:00 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 am
I'm sure that much of the cynicism comes from the fact that Burnley have lost their opening 3 games, and have failed so spectacularly in the transfer market when most of our rivals have been proactive strengthening their squads.
Can't really judge a transfer window until further into the season.

Last time Fulham were up here they spent over £100 million and went down, Villa just stayed up last season after spending even more.
Yet at the time you could potentially argue that had better windows that us because the spent a lot more and signed some half decent players.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:00 pm
Can't really judge a transfer window until further into the season.

Last time Fulham were up here they spent over £100 million and went down, Villa just stayed up last season after spending even more.
Yet at the time you could potentially argue that had better windows that us because the spent a lot more and signed some half decent players.
You are 100% correct you can't judge yet, but it's not as if much is going to change, it's common knowledge by now to every man & his dog that the pots empty, barring outside investment or selling 1 of the 3 assets later on it's a safe bet to say things are going to remain exactly the same, it doesn't take Einstein to work that 1 out.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:31 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 pm
You are 100% correct you can't judge yet, but it's not as if much is going to change, it's common knowledge by now to every man & his dog that the pots empty, barring outside investment or selling 1 of the 3 assets later on it's a safe bet to say things are going to remain exactly the same, it doesn't take Einstein to work that 1 out.
The pot isn't empty per se, it's just a very rainy 'day', there's a difference.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:31 am
The pot isn't empty per se, it's just a very rainy 'day', there's a difference.
Either way it’s not getting spent towards reinforcements.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 am

Jimjan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:31 pm
I miss the prematch pint etc and the craic on the ground.
but the more this goes on I am missing the football less and less.
The games on TV are sterile
A lot of people are being put off by the current TV games. Perhaps there is a case for postponing the season until we get back to the 'fans in stadium normal'. The league could then restart without VAR, Politics, consistent stupid rule changes and any other crud.
  • The TV companies could also play a part by reducing their subscription charges to a more reasonable level.
  • The clubs could be willing to settle for a bit less from the TV companies
  • The players should then accept a voluntary permanent pay cut across the whole Premier League (perhaps 30%-40% - they won't starve)
  • A good and proper 'kick racism out' campaign could be brought back involving no controversial organisations that want to disband the police or overthrow our way of life.
  • Burnley FC season ticket prices could stay the same. They are amongst the fairest in the league and good value if VAR and the other crud is sent packing.
  • It would be fair if most other clubs would reduce their season ticket prices. A lot of the prices are astronomical.
However, I don't think that much of this will happen. The 'money grab' will continue from a gradually dwindling set of fans.

Eyres_11
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Eyres_11 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:51 pm

vinrogue wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:54 pm
Seriously considering ending years of travelling from Lincolnshire as two season ticket holders and swapping our season tickets for the joy of watching grass root football locally. I was happier supporting us in the lower divisions than I feel right now. Should I swap BFC for Sleaford Town or Hykeham Tigers? Only time will tell.
Easily said in current times. But we all know, the majority of us cant help ourselves and will give in eventually and be back on the Turf. Its in the blood.
This user liked this post: Grumps

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:38 pm

Eyres_11 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:51 pm
Easily said in current times. But we all know, the majority of us cant help ourselves and will give in eventually and be back on the Turf. Its in the blood.
I doubt that I will. I have already stopped watching the matches. I used to watch the Sky matches on NOWTV, I subscribed to BT Sport as part opf my ISP package and held a season ticket for Burnley. I no longer purchase NOWTV passes, I cancelled from BT Sport when they raised the subscription and I have not yet renewed my season ticket.

I once loved football but will no longer throw money at the 'greedy grabbing monstrosity' that it has become. Supporting football these days is akin to 'feeding strawberries to an elephant'.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:25 pm
That's all well and good, but what are your thoughts on VAR and its impact on the game?
I am more concerned on 'it's impact on the goals'. To my way of thinking the whole game is geared towards wanting your side to score a goal. When the goal is scored there is a great burst of excitement with people cheering, shaking hands and jumping up and down. The goals are the main highlight of any game (at least the ones scored by your side).

VAR has removed the goal excitement and replaced it with something different. When the goal is scored the usual burst of excitement starts but then quells as fans are thinking about whether VAR is going to kick in. More often than not it does. Then there is a minutes wait to see if the chaps (or ladies) in the VAR room concur that the goal is legal. If they decide that the goal is allowed a second cheer goes out but it's not quite the same. On the other hand if someone is seen to have a big toe or fingernail offside then excitement is replaced by bitter disappointment.

Also who are these VAR people and where are they?

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 pm
I am more concerned on 'it's impact on the goals'. To my way of thinking the whole game is geared towards wanting your side to score a goal. When the goal is scored there is a great burst of excitement with people cheering, shaking hands and jumping up and down. The goals are the main highlight of any game (at least the ones scored by your side).

VAR has removed the goal excitement and replaced it with something different. When the goal is scored the usual burst of excitement starts but then quells as fans are thinking about whether VAR is going to kick in. More often than not it does. Then there is a minutes wait to see if the chaps (or ladies) in the VAR room concur that the goal is legal. If they decide that the goal is allowed a second cheer goes out but it's not quite the same. On the other hand if someone is seen to have a big toe or fingernail offside then excitement is replaced by bitter disappointment.

Also who are these VAR people and where are they?
Perfectly put.....it's an awful invention.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

The match day experience ? Yes, big time.

The footy itself ? Not so much really if I'm brutally honest. Never thought I would
ever say that - maybe it's an age thing though.