Holiday encounter

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Arnoldian
Been Liked: 29 times

Holiday encounter

Post by Arnoldian » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:22 pm

An uplifting tale in these difficult times. At the beginning of the month my wife and I had a short holiday in Devon. One afternoon we drove to Weymouth to see the cruise ships anchored in the bay. As we walked to the end of the jetty my wife tripped over the edge of a raised concrete platform and fell causing her to in effect headbutt the concrete floor. As I stood momentarily shocked looking at the prone figure of my wife a kind gentleman suddenly materialised and took charge of the situation first placing my wife in the recovery position and then suggesting that I asked her a question to which she should know the answer.She correctly gave the address of her last home before we were married over 50 years ago in Great Harwood. This prompted a question directed to me as to where we lived . I replied that we now lived in St Annes but had spent most of our married lives in East Lancashire.At this point our new acquaintance announced that he was a Claret living in the local area.This considerably lightened the mood as we exchanged Football memories.It was amazing to meet probably the only local inhabitant in Weymouth that day and even more surprising to discover that he had never lived in Burnley or anywhere near. The gentleman concerned known to this website as Salem was brought up in Kent and said that he chose Burnley as his team when he was a young lad in the early 60s-his first match being at Spurs to see Andy Lockhead score the winner. He has remained a loyal supporter ever since. Not only did he provide a calming presence at a shocking moment but he then noticed a paramedic car on the nearby carpark and obtained her assistance for my wife. The combined efforts of these two people gave my wife and I much reassurance and avoided the need to search for medical treatment in unfamiliar surroundings. I am pleased to report that though my wife suffered severe facial bruising she is now 3 weeks later much better and does not appear to have suffered any permanent damage.My wife and I wish to place on record our sincere thanks to Salem whose name I never discovered as he disappeared as quickly as he appeared once the paramedic arrived. I hope he sees this post as the fact that Salem was a Claret certainly added some pleasure to what could otherwise have been a depressing situation. Arnoldian
These 29 users liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris Zlatan Aclaret lesxdp tim_noone huw.Y.WattfromWare Quickenthetempo Ashingtonclaret46 bobinho elwaclaret Guller Bull bodge Croydon Claret conyoviejo gc14 The Enclosure Stalbansclaret KateR rdp2eps RMutt longsidepies Paulclaret claretgimmer bfcjg Rumbletonk evensteadiereddie DAVETHEVICAR randomclaret2 icu81b4

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Holiday encounter

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Good on him. Always good to see Claret’s in random places.

Incidentally was down that way myself last week and wondered what all the cruise ships were doing there. Didn’t know if they were isolating :o

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Whilst reading, I was half expecting "This considerably lightened the mood as we exchanged Football memories.. and left my wife there and went for a pint".

I hope your wife is better. We do meet Burnley fans all over the place.

Nifkin
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Nifkin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:28 pm

I was at Manchester Airport just before the international break sat in the bar area when a bloke came in in a bright pink full tracksuit, my son noticed first and said look at that dad, I spied his face mask and it had the Burnley badge on I said to my son typical Burnley fan eh? He removed his mask and it was matti vydra, he looked like you might imagine :)
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone bodge

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:31 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:11 pm
Good on him. Always good to see Claret’s in random places.

Incidentally was down that way myself last week and wondered what all the cruise ships were doing there. Didn’t know if they were isolating :o
They are just parked up waiting for it all to blow over, basically. Its cheaper to keep them ticking over on auxiliary power than pay to have it docked in port.

Good to hear some help was at hand and hope she's doing well.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:32 pm

There's 3 other clarets in the village where I live. At the local social club heard, "Nice top", when I walked in with my Burnley shirt on. Turns out he's a season ticket holder and drives over to Burnley every home game (well... normally). His father in law is a Leeds fan and my mate is a Leeds fan, so we played pool, Burnley vs Leeds.

I walked around the corner from me and a car drove past with the windows down and someone shouted, "Up the Clarets!".

Went to one of the local pubs and there was a Burnley fan watching the game.

You can't get rid of us, we're everywhere!
These 5 users liked this post: Jakubclaret tim_noone Bosscat bobinho KateR

Harrythomsonscap
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Harrythomsonscap » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Me & the misses went to Guadalavaca Cuba a few years back. We visited a native village. At the end of the visit there was a bar.people Sat around one guy there had a Burnley shirt on. He was from Barrowford. We go to Skiathos Greece a lot one year we were drinking in The Astoria Hotel Bar and again a guy Sat there with a Burnley shirt on this has happened twice now. Small world. Sat around a swimming pool again in Cuba there was a family from Stoke, I had my Burnley towel on the sunbed. It was just before Coyle bailed out. One of the sons said do you know Patterson? Yes he play's for us Pato lived on the same street as them and would play football on the street with them.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Harrythomsonscap wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 pm
Me & the misses went to Guadalavaca Cuba a few years back. We visited a native village. At the end of the visit there was a bar.people Sat around one guy there had a Burnley shirt on. He was from Barrowford. We go to Skiathos Greece a lot one year we were drinking in The Astoria Hotel Bar and again a guy Sat there with a Burnley shirt on this has happened twice now. Small world. Sat around a swimming pool again in Cuba there was a family from Stoke, I had my Burnley towel on the sunbed. It was just before Coyle bailed out. One of the sons said do you know Patterson? Yes he play's for us Pato lived on the same street as them and would play football on the street with them.
I saw a Burnley fan in Magaluf but perhaps not much of a surprise - it's like Benidorm - Burnley in the sun.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Agreed its a small small world have met Clarets all over the place from Hisaronu in Turkey to Barbados, from Kos Town to Tallinn....

We're we're there .. us bloody Clarets get everywhere 👍🙂👍

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Arnoldian - the poster you refer to i think is called Sarum, I've met him a few times at southern away games and i'm sure he grew up in Kent and Spurs was his first game.

I believe he lives in the Salisbury area, I'm sure he will see this at some point, when i next see him on here i will tell him to check your post.

He's a really friendly guy and so it does not surprise me what he did for you and your wife.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Aclaret longsidepies

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Duplicate

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:36 pm

I know Sarum and have emailed him to draw his attention to this thread.
These 2 users liked this post: bodge longsidepies

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 pm

I went to Thailand for my first honeymoon in 1995. I was sat in the hotel foyer waiting to go out when in walks a bloke wearing a tshirt with 'Super Burnley from the North' on. I looked up and realised that not only was it a fellow Claret, it was Ada Marshall. Older Clarets and Nelson based ones in particular will know who he was. Sadly no longer with us.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 pm

You really do see us all over

I was in Montpelier a couple of years ago and went to the train station to start my journey back home. It's a student city, but in my time there I didn't really see many English at all, and certainly no football shirts. I had my Burnley shirt on to come home, and in the bustle of the station I heard 'nice shirt'. A bloke stopped in the crowd and pointed at his claret and blue trainers and we both said up the clarets and he left with his wife!

The summer before we played in Europe I stayed in Cambrils, and at breakfast on the first morning a guy came up to me asking how we'd fair in Europe. Turned out he was from Preston and with a few lads on a golfing holiday there that were also clarets

You'll see the odd footy shirt abroad but proportionally I've always thought ours pop up all over the place

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:44 pm

We needed a story like this although I do not wish your wife to have the injury. Burnley is a diaspora, wherever you go in the world you will find Burnley fans. If the big six 'do one,' it will get better.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 am

Some time in the mid-90s we played Wycombe away (those were the days) We went up on the train from London and then got a bus from the station to the ground. In the queue an elderly guy started talking to us and asking questions about the then Burnley side. It transpired that the chap was living in Wycombe but had worked in Burnley Council's Highways Department as a young man. He designed what he said was the first roundabout in Burnley which was in Briercliffe Road near Burnley General. This was a hell of a co-incidence as we were living "up 'Syke" at the time and used "his" roundabout on a daily basis.

The bloke walked to the ground with us from the bus and then sat next to us. I am afraid he got a reminder of his day out because during the warm-up he was hit full in the face with a stray ball which knocked his specs off and fairly clouted the side of his head. Fortunately he settled down and was able to watch the game. At the full time whistle we bade our farewells and that was the end of the encounter.

Wadesawinger
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Wadesawinger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:28 am

What a nice story and well done "Sarum" (Iron Age hill fort =Salisbury) obviously a fellow Claret living up the road from me here in Christchurch! Really pleased to hear your wife is doing well now. We too have the Cruise ships parked up here in Christchurch bay upwards of six at a time, sadly i think they will be here for the foreseeable

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:02 am

Around 3 years ago myself and my good lady were doing a city break to Rome. We travelled by bus from the airport to our hotel. As we got off the bus at Termini station in central Rome there was a young man, maybe mid 20's wearing a Burnley shirt waiting in the queue to get on the bus!

Red Fox Rocks Socks
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by Red Fox Rocks Socks » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 am

Harrythomsonscap wrote:
I used to go to skiathos a lot. It’s my favourite Greek island. My lad loves watching the planes come in on the tiny run way. We used to eat a lot at a restaurant that looked over the runway which was fab. The island has loads to offer.

I once sat behind pato on the plane to Orlando when he was playing for them. Chatted to him at the airport their side. Nice bloke

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:50 am

That's a hell of a story to cover up wife beating!

Only joking! A good human Claret story. Perhaps we have a scent!

Yorkshire Claret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Yorkshire Claret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:40 am

A couple of years back stayed in a Shepherds Hut at St Donats, South Wales over the weekend of our 0-1 defeat at Swansea. Walked a short distance of the Wales Coastal Path from St Donat's to Nash Point Lighthouse and then on to the Plough and Harrow at Monknash on the Friday sporting a BFC hat. Whilst waiting at bus stop to get back to digs I bumped into an gentleman who commented on the said hat. On talking to him it turned out he used to work for the Architects who designed and built the Bob Lord Stand, had to laugh when he told me they used to stay in the best hotel in town, before telling me they called it the Keirby.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 pm
I went to Thailand for my first honeymoon in 1995. I was sat in the hotel foyer waiting to go out when in walks a bloke wearing a tshirt with 'Super Burnley from the North' on. I looked up and realised that not only was it a fellow Claret, it was Ada Marshall. Older Clarets and Nelson based ones in particular will know who he was. Sadly no longer with us.
FIRST honeymoon?
If there was a second one, that's the definition of the Triumph of Hope over Experience!! :D
PS. This is a joke - just in case my (second) wife sees it!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Dougall wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm
FIRST honeymoon?
If there was a second one, that's the definition of the Triumph of Hope over Experience!! :D
PS. This is a joke - just in case my (second) wife sees it!
There WAS a second honeymoon :D I never saw a Burnley fan on this one. In fact I saw very few British people in Hawaii, though I did get my photo taken at Pearl Harbor in a Burnley shirt

I remember being berated on the old board by Eli for deserting my post before we had reached the magic 50 points total in the Championship. To add, I was married on the day of one of the famous "Throw One In" games, namely Burnley 4-7 Watford

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Ouch!
That was definitely a good one to miss!
Eli - postcard from t'Eejipt !!
:lol:

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Harrythomsonscap wrote:
We saw a couple in Guardalavaca who came over to us when they saw my shirt. Turned out they were longstanding customers from the shop my mrs worked in.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Saw a young girl wearing a Burnley shirt at Manchester Airport a couple of years ago when I was off to teneriffe, she was sat on the bus to our resort and by further coincidence was staying in the same hotel.

Bumped into her the following morning at breakfast and told her I was a fellow Claret and her eyes lit up, she went on to tell me that she was on holiday with her auntie and that she was a season ticket holder.

The next time I saw the young lass was celebrating promotion a couple of weeks later down at the valley, with her mum and dad this time

SW20claret
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by SW20claret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:07 am

Harrythomsonscap wrote:
We’ve stayed at the Astoria many times but it wasn’t us. Do know that Harry who runs the Bar is great friends with a Burnley Fan who regularly stays at the Astoria. We’ve also seen Burnley Fans at the Melidron in Scala Kefalonia but they were just leaving as we arrived. Yes it’s a small world.

Harrythomsonscap
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Harrythomsonscap » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:18 pm

SW20claret wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:07 am
We’ve stayed at the Astoria many times but it wasn’t us. Do know that Harry who runs the Bar is great friends with a Burnley Fan who regularly stays at the Astoria. We’ve also seen Burnley Fans at the Melidron in Scala Kefalonia but they were just leaving as we arrived. Yes it’s a small world.
We are great friends of Harry, known him 15 yrs. He didn't come to Skiathos this year due to not enough work for him. He stayed in his own city of Lorisa. A small world indeed!!

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 636 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Always makes me smile when people say it's a small world , it's not is massive

Jazz2013
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Jazz2013 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:10 am

I was in goa at lot of years ago. Went to the beach and the kids playing cricket on the beach were wearing Burnley shirts. It was the away 1 .which was green and black striped. If I remember rightly

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:27 am

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a holiday encounter, but having pitched up at JFK Airport in the autumn of 1972 and settled myself on the pan in the spotless bogs, the following message on the otherwise pristine crapper door met my eye.
"Longside Burnley.. Skins rule.. Stuffing owls again"

It was probably written in the wake of our recent win at Hillsborough. It was accompanied by a drawing of a flaccid but large penis.

We clarets, as they say, really do get everywhere.